It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:13 pm

Free Newsletter

The Mental Challenge

Join one of our motivational Challenges or start one yourself.

Moderator: Moderators

The Mental Challenge

Postby AndyJ » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:02 am

Losing weight is hard work, I can't count the amount of times I have broken down in a pile of mess over it, my Journey is near ending and it has taken it's toll, 53.15kg lost to date and still going.

What I have found however, is to take time for yourself, to relax and savor your moment. I light walk down near the river, standing at a place we call seaport here in Launceston. Just sitting there for half an hour and enjoying the view relaxes my mind, my soul, let's me mentally recover that little bit.

I think it is important we all do the same, it can be anything you want, just give your mind a rest, satisfy it with great views.

This is also a favorite spot

It is beautiful during our summer months.

A long hot shower is also a favorite too, just stand in there, closing my eyes and picturing the water running over my body.

What are others way to re-coup mentally?

Losing the weight i have has made me so strong, so willing, determined. I feel I can achieve so much too, not in losing weight, but my job and life in general. If you can mentally get through any weight loss, whether it be 10kg or more, you're on the way to mental strength, and hopefully maintaining weight loss also build on that.
High : 136 Kg (Oct 2006)
Low : 76.6 Kg (Mar 2007)
Current : 87.15 Kg (13th Aug 2014)
Goals. : 78-79kg Kg
Maximum Allowed: 81 Kg
AndyJ

Re: The Mental Challenge

Postby DD Diva » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:17 am

AndyJ wrote: If you can mentally get through any weight loss, whether it be 10kg or more, you're on the way to mental strength, and hopefully maintaining weight loss also build on that.

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON!!! :wink: (See my sig; it's my mantra)
Weight loss is a mind game, and if your mind is in the right place the body will (without hesitation) play along because it's the mind that controls what the body does.
Win the battle in your head, and the weight will drop off!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby ganymede » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:51 pm

I really love this idea, Andy. And I think often times life becomes so busy that we forget those "little things" that help us recover mentally and take that next step into a new day with determination. A lovely spot there too, I love Tassy, it's such a beautiful place.

Keeping up with the photos, here is a place I'm rather fond of visiting and makes me feel calm in my soul, even when the world is filled with turmoil. Actually, this is my "mental recovery" in general. My love for photography. I'm a sucker for a nice seascape! (now don't go stalking me because you now know my full name! :mrgreen: )

Other things I'd add to the list are:

A good, hot cup of tea
A nice, long hot shower as Andy also said
Painting
Getting an early night and having a good night's rest
Going for a long walk on the beach when no one else is around

Congrats Andy on your amazing loss to date, thanks for starting this topic, it's a really great idea!
Attachments
IMG_6887_2.jpg
IMG_6887_2.jpg (232.21 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby AndyJ » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:59 pm

ganymede wrote:Congrats Andy on your amazing loss to date, thanks for starting this topic, it's a really great idea!

Thanks :) Still going, had a little bit of chocolate today, not much though, just enough to end the cravings, still well under my calorie intake for the day.

Here is Seaport in Launceston of a night, this is on my jogging/walking route.

High : 136 Kg (Oct 2006)
Low : 76.6 Kg (Mar 2007)
Current : 87.15 Kg (13th Aug 2014)
Goals. : 78-79kg Kg
Maximum Allowed: 81 Kg
AndyJ

Postby DD Diva » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:15 pm

Gorgeous photos there guys; thanks for sharing them!!!! Now that's what I call photos worth posting!!! (very relaxing and meditative) :D
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:37 pm

You've got to enjoy the process.
That is why I advocate all the time about making it a healthy lifestyle that you can live with.
If you can't own the lifestyle sooner or later you will give up that lifestyle.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:28 pm

Blitz wrote:You've got to enjoy the process.
That is why I advocate all the time about making it a healthy lifestyle that you can live with.
If you can't own the lifestyle sooner or later you will give up that lifestyle.

Kim

I don't know, I could quite easily park my a$$ in one these picturesque surrounds for a lifetime or two!!! :lol:
No seriously, I know what you're saying Kim, and I agree, you need to make the changes that you will live with for the rest of your life, and if these changes are unrealistic or too difficult to maintain you'll eventually give up and revert to your old ways!!! :(

I love what I'm doing, and I love even more how it's making me look and feel!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:54 pm

That's it Josie. Your new healthy lifestyle has to outweigh the benefits and pleasures of your old unhealthy lifestyle.

BTW you missed a word out...
"I could quite easily park my a$$ in one these picturesque surrounds for a lifetime or two!!!"
If you do that for a lifetime or two...it should be "FAT a$$"! :shock: :lol: :wink:
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:24 am

Blitz wrote:BTW you missed a word out...
"I could quite easily park my a$$ in one these picturesque surrounds for a lifetime or two!!!"
If you do that for a lifetime or two...it should be "FAT a$$"! :shock: :lol: :wink:

Alas, that it would!! :oops:

But getting back to your point Kim, I agree and that's why the focus has to change as much as the revised plan! An example of this, and why I harp on about it, is the incessant obsession with food!!! People talking about how they miss eating this or that, acting like they're hard done by because
they could only have a few spoonfuls, and torturing themselves (or others) with photos of food all of which can be demoralising to the spirit of those trying to break free from it being in their face everyday! Seriously, some peoples "live to eat" mentality is really sad and they should focus on learning to eat to live, and not the other way around!!!
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:06 am

To me food is always about portion size rather than what is eaten. Everything has it's place.

Healthy choices are more about getting "bulk gut satisfaction" than any thing else. You can get all your daily calories from scoffing down a couple of handfuls of jelly beans and have an empty tummy feeling for the rest of the day or eat some fruit and vegetables and have gut satisfaction for the whole day.

Kim
Blitz

Postby ganymede » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:59 am

I'm all about gut satisfaction! That's why half the time my dinners end up so random. Not being able to eat red meat or chicken is limiting but I find ways around it. I'm just as easily pleased with eggs on toast and because it's wholemeal toast and eggs with no oil for cooking, I can then allow some fruit later on. I find smaller portions but spread apart slightly do keep me fuller for longer. It's all about finding what works!
- Shelley

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby DD Diva » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:02 am

ganymede wrote:I'm all about gut satisfaction! That's why half the time my dinners end up so random. Not being able to eat red meat or chicken is limiting but I find ways around it. I'm just as easily pleased with eggs on toast and because it's wholemeal toast and eggs with no oil for cooking, I can then allow some fruit later on. I find smaller portions but spread apart slightly do keep me fuller for longer. It's all about finding what works!

That's the spirit Shelley, you're on a winning mindset that will get you through your first hurdle and once that happens, you'll feel good about conquering it and want to go on to plough through all the other mini goals until you make your final destination. And trust me, YOU WILL MAKE IT!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby ganymede » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:14 am

That's exactly it, Josie :) At the moment I'm focusing on all the healthy points, all the good options but at the end of the day if I'm feeling the weight of craving or like I "just might give in", those are the days I add a little extra. Still well within my allotment for the day but I figure, what's another piece of fruit or a yoghurt compared to a full on blow out? A little is okay.

At the other end of the scales (pun intended? ;) ), when I have my days when I'm not really hungry and I can get away with eating less, I embrace those too and take it as it comes. That's why I think I did so well doing that first 12 week challenge. Those days I wasn't feeling so hungry and at very minimal calories, I would pop in a small piece of chocolate or "bank" my calories if I knew we were going out to dinner or ordering pizza. And those treats, however well managed, were enough to see me through!
- Shelley

ganymede

Postby Blitz » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:34 pm

It is a far better approach than those strict diets that require you to eat at certain times certain foods. As if the body has an alarm clock or a strict food list! :roll: :lol:
The skill is fine tuning our listening to our body's real needs. One of the wisest things I did when I embarked on this weight loss journey was to adopt the maxim: "Listen to your body".

Kim
Blitz

Return to Challenges