It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:25 am

Free Newsletter

Shelley's Healthy Life 2015

Join one of our motivational Challenges or start one yourself.

Moderator: Moderators

Shelley's Healthy Life 2015

Postby ganymede » Tue May 19, 2015 10:43 am

"Healthy life". I didn't want to call it a diet or a challenge or an eating plan. Anything that hints at constraint ultimately sees me running for the hills, a packet of biscuits under one arm and a bar of chocolate under the other :lol:

I know my head space is iffy at best. I have a lot going on right now. My health is not great and I have had some serious personal loss to contend with as well. I know that eating better and getting active will only HELP me though, not hinder me. When all else fails, keep it simple ;)

The crux of my healthy life is to eat well without going hungry, eat the right foods, avoid those naughty treats most of the time, be satisfied with fresh, yummy and healthy foods and get active. It doesn't have to mean running a marathon. A brisk walk will do my mind and body wonders. My partner (who is all kinds of amazing and wonderful) wants to eat healthier as well and I intend to help him as he helps me so we can both be happy with ourselves.

Just thought it had been far too long between visits and time to get this boat moving again :)
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Re: Shelley's Healthy Life 2015

Postby Blitz » Wed May 20, 2015 6:37 am

:D Welcome back Shelley!

I like it that you call it "healthy life"...I call it a "healthy lifestyle" - you've slimmed off five letters in your version! :lol: :wink:

I totally agree with you on that diet stuff...put a fence around it and pretty soon everyone wants to jump it.

I would go one further than you have...have the occasional "naughty" treats - but be responsible and own it.
If you ate it - you are responsible to negate it. Either exercise it off or eat less of something else.

So let's get down to the nitty gritty...who is this partner that you speak of with so much devotion? :shock: :lol:
Tell all girl! 8) :wink:

Go get that better future Jupiter Moon girl! :D

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby ganymede » Wed May 20, 2015 8:56 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well, he is simply amazing! Kind, considerate, caring, funny...and head over heels in love with me! Something must be wrong with him, right!? :lol: But in all seriousness, it has given me the perspective to see that my partner before this was not who I was meant to be with. Sure, we had some great times and shared a lot of good memories but I think I may have found my soul mate? :)

Anyway, he has been a very patient man whilst I went through everything and adjusted to being in a relationship with someone new. Ahhh, the patience of this man! Haha. It's actually quite funny because the astro guy I was talking about at the very beginning of this year....yep, it's his best friend! :lol: It seems we were meant to meet! I still hang out with that whole group all of the time, I have a wonderful circle of astro friends, we even went out to a property the weekend just gone for a weekend of astronomy. So nice to have someone to share everything with but also someone who is so open and laid back and just goes with the flow.

But back to that bulge...

I'm taking things one step at a time and changing things gradually. When I go all to nothing suddenly, my resolve is easily swayed! My main focus is eat better and be more active. A simple approach!
- Shelley

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby Blitz » Thu May 21, 2015 5:26 am

That circle of astro friends sounds like a hot bed of "Days of Our Lives"...or a hipper version of "The Big Bang Theory".
The best friend? Who would have thought. :shock: :)
But I may have to file those gushing words about him somewhere safe so I can use them against you
when the first gloom of romance fades! :lol: :wink:
But seriously...glad that you are in a happy place. 8)

I think your approach to weight loss is sensible.
Gradual changes are sure changes.
You may like to take a leaf out of Natasha's book. In her challenge she is aiming for 0.1kg a day.
An achievable goal which has no pressure attached and yet will in the end reap great rewards.

In my weight loss journey I took it one step at a time also.
Small changes...slowing building a healthy lifestyle that worked for me.
There was never a grand plan...I did what I could do when I could.
I pushed the boundaries but never to the point of breaking myself in the effort.

Looking forward to seeing your journey of success unfold! :D

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby ganymede » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:55 pm

I'm still kicking around... still trying to get things straight. Have had a lot of stuff going on with my depression and anxiety so back and forward to appointments, different medications AGAIN, not feeling myself. It's enough to make me scream :x

But yes, life is starting to come together which is really nice! :) Just need to get that weight back on track....Ultimately, if I could just get down to 85kg I would be more than happy! And thank goodness this time around I have the support and participation of my partner to help me along :mrgreen:

I'll get there eventually, just need to get my head straight.
- Shelley

ganymede

Postby ganymede » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:18 am

Well, I exercised ONCE this week :lol: But hey, an improvement on nothing at all! Have had some appointments and staying back at work late etc etc so I have to take it all as it comes, as real life is like that sometimes!

Trying mainly to figure out food options that will work and considering that my best option might be to cook something in bulk and freeze portions so I can just take a container for lunch every day. We are pretty good when it comes to dinner, we get in the kitchen and get veges and potato cut up and then whatever we decide to put with it, I usually stick to fish or just potato and veges or even a small frozen meal with the veges. So dinner is pretty good! Breakfast is definitely easy, I just need to get into a routine of cutting back sugar in my coffee and back into the wholegrain cereals.

Morning snack? Hmmmmmm. Seems to be the point where I'm hungry because breakfast was at 6:30-7am but it's not quite lunch and it will be over 2 hours til lunch still so I need to consider my options. I have to be careful with yoghurt, especially greek yoghurt. I LOVE Greek yoghurt but I get stomach pain if I have too much. So maybe a dollop with some fresh fruit... I don't know. I actually need a plan so I can stick to it! But try and make it as easy as possible so I don't go for the "easy" option.

Just writing things out mainly to get my head straight so below will be my intended food and my goals for exercise and weight loss.

BREAKFAST:

Vita brits
Skim Milk
Banana or Sultanas
Coffee (1.5 tsp sugar instead of 2)

MORNING TEA:

Natural Greek yoghurt or natural yoghurt
Fresh fruit or frozen mixed berries
Coffee (1.5 tsp sugar instead of 2)

LUNCH:

Calorie controlled frozen meal
OR
Vegetable pasta bake, mainly vegetables

AFTERNOON TEA:

If I'm feeling really peckish and trying to do exercise of an afternoon, I will need something to fill the void. Probably something small like a Nashi Pear, a carrot or a couple of crackers or handful of nuts etc.

DINNER:

Vegetables and potato
with either
Seasoned fish, small frozen meal or large portion of potato/veggies

AFTER DINNER:

This is when I get cranky and wanting of bad things!!! So instead of depriving myself of anything, I will try and fit in a very small portion of something and gradually only do it maybe every few days eventually. But for now, baby steps. Otherwise I will get cranky and say bugger it! And I don't want to do that.

Possible weekly food obstacles:

I've started setting myself anxiety goals, which includes going to the astronomy shop on a Friday night when it's busy and showing people stuff through my telescope and having dinner with my boyfriend and hanging out with friends. So of course this means not the healthiest options food and drink wise. The plan is to get a fish burger for dinner. They are very basic so it's literally a standard hamburger bun, crumbed fish, lettuce tomato and a bit of mayo.... a better option than a hot dog! I also like to have a couple of coffees, they make the best coffees....will reduce sugar in those and switch to skim.

Now for exercise goals....

The aim is 3 days a week MINIMUM. The hope is 3 days walking or some form of cardio for at least 30 mins and the other 2 days doing 15 mins of strength stuff, so kettle bells, sit ups, whatever takes our fancy.

OKAY. Weight loss goals.

If I could get down to 79kg in 1 year I would be very happy. I am very sad to say that means losing 30kg.... :cry: Part of this gain was from being on medication that had a side effect of rapid weight gain. I gained some insane amount in the 4 weeks I was on it. And it just doesn't come off as easily as it went on!!! :evil:

So my goals are:

11th October - 101.5kg (7.5kg loss)

11th January - 94kg (7.5kg loss)

11th April - 86.5kg (7.5kg loss)

11th July - 79kg (7.5kg loss)

That's a loss of 625grams per week. I think it's doable...

Anyway, shall keep you updated. :)
- Shelley

ganymede

Return to Challenges