It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:13 pm

Free Newsletter

my confession

Weightloss Confessions where you can confess your weight loss sins.

Moderator: Moderators

my confession

Postby sassi » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:26 am

My confession (for once) isn’t to do with eating too much, eating fast food or chocolate (although I’ve done my fair share & more)…it’s not even to do with not exercising when I should be (although I’m also guilty of this)…it’s to do with not respecting my body nor staying true to what it is I thought I wanted to achieve or would be proud of.

Last night I was at my group training session, and in walks a girl who is everything I’m not! She’s blonde, slim (but not skinny), lightly tanned and, of course, yet to break a sweat.

I watched for a while from my vantage point on the bike as she whinged about doing one-legged squats (only one set!), as she struggled to do stomach crunches with a weight between her feet, as she strained to lift the smallest of weights for her leg presses and as she lightly tapped the punching bag when doing her boxing.

Now, none of these things are bad – and everyone has to start somewhere, not everyone is the same strength or fitness. However, I always said that what I wanted to achieve was to be strong, fit & healthy and that weight loss was just a bonus that would come with these things. At my sessions, I punch that bag so hard & fast I have bruises on my knuckles for the next 4 or 5 days. I think I’m weak when I do a bench press that uses what I think are light weights, only to be told that most people have to progress through 4 or 5 other weights before they get to the weights I started with…I never complain when the trainer asks me to do anything and I never say that “I can’t"…but last night I caught myself thinking that I would have given up all that just to look like her :(

If you’ve read through all that, thank you! it actually feels really good to type that out and admit that i pretty much cheated on myself! I don't know where this leaves me in my weight loss journey but I think it tells me that I need to work hard on determining what my goals really are and to spend some time appreciating my body for the things it can already do - and be proud of those things!

Re: my confession

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:41 pm

I know how you feel. There are lots of pretty young things who never have to work out to keep in shape. Key word there being 'young'. Once they hit 30 or have a couple of kids suddenly it's not so easy to stay trim. And since they're not used to working out it's hard for many of them to get back to how they were.

Of course some of them are naturally thin and will always remain so. Good luck to 'em. I hope they have a nice life.

You're right to concentrate on what you can do and appreciate your body for what it is. It's the sum of our parts and experiences that make us what we are. You don't want to swap that for anything!

Postby lng86 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:12 pm

To sum your thoughts up...

You have achieved everything you set out to achieve - without the recognition you have done so???!!!

I think you are courageous... And would give me a run for my money at the gym!

Be proud!

I think the skinny chick probably wishes she had your strength!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)

Postby sassi » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:38 am

thanks EWQ & lauren....i knew it was such a silly thought as i was having it & i was embarrassed to think like that.

you're right - i am proud of what i've achieved so far and i like seeing my stength & fitness improve :)

Return to Confessional