It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:01 am

Free Newsletter

Addicted

Weightloss Confessions where you can confess your weight loss sins.

Moderator: Moderators

Addicted

Postby rhomo31 » Sat May 31, 2008 11:43 pm

Hi I'm Rhonda. : :D I love life but hate myself. Every time I attempt to lose weight I fail. I stay on my diet for 2 months @ lose at least 10 to 15 pds. and gain it back.I think I have an addiction to sweets like cookies, cakes,and chips. Somebody please give me advice on what I can do to get over this addiction.It's like I can't get enough. Help! :cry:
rhomo31

Re: Addicted

Postby electrongirl » Sat May 31, 2008 11:51 pm

Hi Rhonda and welcome.

First of all let me say this, diets don't work. What you need to do is make a lifestyle change, because this is something you have to change for life if you want to lose weight and maintain the loss.

Second of all, if you cut out all the foods you love completely your only going to open yourself up to binges. Psychologically we don't like being told what we can't have, makes us want it more! So what you need to do is allow yourself small treats which fit into your eating plan so you wont be tempted to binge.

You need to accept that your weightloss & health are an important part of your daily life and that it must be a priority. People tend to make excuses about eating or exercising that they don't have time or other things are more important. You need to put yourself first and make it a priority to plan your meals and fit in exercise.

Hope this helps!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Boo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:37 pm

rhomo31 wrote:Hi I'm Rhonda. : :D I love life but hate myself. Every time I attempt to lose weight I fail. I stay on my diet for 2 months @ lose at least 10 to 15 pds. and gain it back.I think I have an addiction to sweets like cookies, cakes,and chips. Somebody please give me advice on what I can do to get over this addiction.It's like I can't get enough. Help! :cry:

Hi Rhonda,

When you go on a diet, you are 90% more likely to binge eat on 'bad' foods... My suggestion is to change your eating for life, instead of going on diet after diet.

Follow a plan that allows you to enjoy a chocolate, cake or chips, without feeling guilty. I today have started doing that, as when I do eat whatever I want, I maintain my weight, when I diet I do lose weight, but than I put more on after I go off the diet. I saw a dietitian and she advised me what targets I should meet for calories, fat, sugar, carbs and sodium, So so long as I don't go over these values I should be able to lose 1-2kg per week with 30-45mins of exercise per day.
Boo

Postby ali76 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi Rhonda and welcome to the forum!

I love chocolate and ice cream and dont think i could give them up for more than a week....so...I used Calorie King to work out a plan that I can have them incorporated in my diet and remain within my calories.

Losing weight doesn't have to be all about giving things up that you enjoy. Get more exercise, burn more calories, eat well at meal times and you can still have your sweets.

In my opinion, losing weight is more about education than denial!!

Good luck, we're all here to help you succeed so yell out if you need anything.

Ali
xoxo
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby SarahC » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:01 am

Some great suggestions there already!

I wonder, what if instead of giving up the sweets and chips completely, just switch to a healthier option. I'm not sure what country you're in, but have a look around the online stores. For example http://www.completehealth.com.au in Australia, or http://www.netrition.com in the US. Check out the low carb products. You can get all sorts of sweets, chocolates, cookies and even chips in a low carb, high protein version. The benefit being that they are far more satisfying than the sugary, high fat versions. Mabye worth a shot?

Best of luck :D
SarahC

Return to Confessional