It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:58 am

Free Newsletter

Professional yo-yo dieter

Weightloss Confessions where you can confess your weight loss sins.

Moderator: Moderators

Professional yo-yo dieter

Postby chubby mummy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:58 pm

G'day folks,

Please forgive me for I have sinned...... I have been overweight since I was 13 and have been on so many diets I don't have enough fingrs and toes to count. I have had three what i would call semi-successes as in I had lost 18kgs in the first, 15kgs in the second and 17kgs in the third attempt at altering my weight status but yet a again I find the scales screaming at me to 'get off!'. I have recently had a baby which I am currently using as my excuse but i know thats just a cop out. So at the moment I am back to my plumpest and trying to muster the motivation to start another throw of the yo-yo hopefully this time it won't come back up.... I know what to do and what I have done wrong in the past it's just mustering up the energy to start yet all over again.
Chubby Mummy

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wrcQcZv/]
[/url]
chubby mummy

Re: Professional yo-yo dieter

Postby Diminishing » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:12 pm

A friend of mine (who is now very fit and healthy (and had been for a number of years) but used to be a professional yoyou dieter!) explained this to me the other day, about herself : that she would get so far on another diet, then come across an "emotional block", fall off the diet, pig out, put all the weight back on again (and more!). Then feel like crap for a few months, and then they cycle would all start all over again.

Her "trick" was to recognise the emotional block when she came up against it. Acknowledge that there was an emotional issue that needed to be dealt with (big or small) then park the issue and continue with her healthy eating plan. ie she separated the two totally. In time, she learned to deal with each and every meotional roadblock, professionally sometimes, but NOT sabotage her efforts in between times.........

I am not sure if that helps you at all, but her insights have helped me a lot.......
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby Strawberry » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:27 pm

Diminishing wrote:A friend of mine (who is now very fit and healthy (and had been for a number of years) but used to be a professional yoyou dieter!) explained this to me the other day, about herself : that she would get so far on another diet, then come across an "emotional block", fall off the diet, pig out, put all the weight back on again (and more!). Then feel like crap for a few months, and then they cycle would all start all over again.

Her "trick" was to recognise the emotional block when she came up against it. Acknowledge that there was an emotional issue that needed to be dealt with (big or small) then park the issue and continue with her healthy eating plan. ie she separated the two totally. In time, she learned to deal with each and every meotional roadblock, professionally sometimes, but NOT sabotage her efforts in between times.........

I am not sure if that helps you at all, but her insights have helped me a lot.......

this helps me so much!
i do this every time. Right now i'm having a block :(
Strawberry

Postby Hurricane Katrina » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:04 am

Diminishing wrote:Her "trick" was to recognise the emotional block when she came up against it. Acknowledge that there was an emotional issue that needed to be dealt with (big or small) then park the issue and continue with her healthy eating plan. ie she separated the two totally. In time, she learned to deal with each and every meotional roadblock, professionally sometimes, but NOT sabotage her efforts in between times.........

Diminishing,I agree with ur friend. I think that we subconsciously use those emotional blocks as a way to sabotage our weightloss efforts. By doing so, we are keeping ourselves from being happy and healthy. Its almost as though we feel that we dont deserve to be happy and healthy,and instead we choose to just wallow in the emotions that we're feeling. We have to accept that life is not a smooth journey and there will be curves and humps and bumps, but we need to learn to tackle them while still puuting our health and happiness first!!

Thanks for that. Very helpful indeed ;-) ;-) ;-)

kat

Starting weight: 70kg
1st mini-goal: 66kg (2009-06-08)
2nd mini-goal: 62kg
3rd mini-goal: 58kg
Goal weight: 54kg
Hurricane Katrina

Postby chubby mummy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:29 pm

When you talk of an emotional block am assuming you mean a negative emotion?

My problem is a become happy with the way I am looking and confident with the way I am. My clothes start to fit and I start wearing my old clothes and because I feel confident and comfortable I start to slack off and get back into old habits of bad eating and being slack. In some instances it has been a big change like a moving of town that has been my downfall where I have had no access to a gym.

I think I really need to adjust my lifestyle to a maintainable level which will help me not only lose the weight but keep it off rather than do the biggest loser thing and go all out to a level that I can't maintain? Does this sound like I am going on the right track?
Chubby Mummy

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wrcQcZv/]
[/url]
chubby mummy

Postby yoyogirl88 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:44 pm

The name says it all. Im only 20 and have the same thing going on. I dont know about you but for me its a matter of getting bored and losing that motivation that I started with. This time however Im not promising to do anything. I am just doing it! Im finding that this loss of pressure is nice I dont feel obligated to exercise or stick to any eating plan Im just doing it of my own accord, it feels good.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby Athena » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:05 pm

I'm with you all. It's hard to say 'this time this is forever' when you know you said the same thing last time, and it wasn't forever. I find that the most important thing we need is help, any kind from anywhere.
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Postby carinna » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:06 am

I also have struggled with "diets" most of my adult life, and I've been really successful for the most part this summer (more so than I've ever been before) and I think it's because this time I didn't "diet" as much as overhall my whole life. I specifically changed ALL my eating habits, and have been working to make exercise a regular part of my life. I take hoodia supplements to suppress my appetite, but other than that I've done it all on my own.

Good luck with your journey. I hope you find something that works for you so you'll never have to yo-yo again! :wink:
*Check out my BEFORE and AFTER pics*:
http://www.carinna.wordpress.com
**Comments are always welcome!**
carinna

Return to Confessional