It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:01 pm

Free Newsletter

Portion control- the bane of my existence

Weightloss Confessions where you can confess your weight loss sins.

Moderator: Moderators

Portion control- the bane of my existence

Postby girlingumboots » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:12 pm

Does anyone else do this? Tonight, I made mashed potatoes to go with my tea, and because my potatoes were starting to look a bit average, I decided to use them up and made enough mash for two nights. And then, of course, I ate all of them. Not a good start to my diet.
What do other people do to stop themselves from doing this? Any hints?
girlingumboots

Re: Portion control- the bane of my existence

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:44 am

I have the same problem. I've found two tricks that help me.

1. Making sure half of my plate is steamed veggies or salad. Then having a quarter of the plate as starchy carbs, like rice or potatoes, and the remaining quarter as protein. I find if I stuff myself full of veggies there simply isn't much room to go over my set portion of carbs and protein. Going over my portion of veggies isn't too bad since they are low in calories and fat.

2. Eat until I'm satisfied, not until I'm going to explode. I used to over-eat 'just in case' I got hungry later. It was only in recent months that the penny finally dropped that you're supposed to get hungry later. That's what hunger is for! It's better to eat a normal sized meal and plan to have a healthy snack in a few hours rather than gorge yourself on the off chance you may not need to eat for three days (I mean, is that really going to happy after all?)! The benefit of doing this is that you start to actually hear your hunger signals. Rather than eating until you're swollen and uncomfortable if you start eating until you are simply satisfied you start to recognise the feeling of being satiated. Then you can feel the light hunger pangs a few hours later that mean you should have a piece of fruit or something. That's far better than eating and eating until you are incredibly uncomfortable then avoiding food until you are starving again.

Good luck. If you find any good tips that help you please feel free to share them! This is something I continually need to struggle with since I've spent so many years eating far too much. :D
EvilWombatQueen

Postby girlingumboots » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:49 am

Hey, thanks for the tips :)
I usually do follow the veggies/carbs/protein rule, but then instead of stopping when I'm satisfied or even when I've finished off my plate, I polish off all the 'leftover' portions I've made! I think today I'm going to focus on listening to my body when I'm satisfied.

...and, just in case my body needs a bit of help with that, I think I'm going to finish every meal with a huge glass of water. I also think I need to either stop cooking extra portions in the first place (I mean, if I don't eat them that night, I eat them at lunchtime the next day), or, if I do make extra, I think I will put it in containers and chuck them in the freezer before I sit down to eat. That way they won't be there when I finish, and if I want to eat them, I'll have to actually make the decision to get them out of the freezer and reheat them.

At least, that's how I hope it will work!
girlingumboots

Postby SarahC » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:08 pm

I do this too! My problem has been breakfast though - I make up enough for about 4 or 5 days, but the night before I start eating the next day's breakfast. So at breakfast time, I have only half the amount that I should have. Then I wonder why I'm so hungry for the rest of the morning!

It all goes in the freezer now, and comes out the night before to defrost overnight!

Also, straight after dinner, I eat a giant bowl of diet jelly. I'm so full that my tummy is about to explode.... but yet I'm still in the kitchen looking around for food :roll:
SarahC

Return to Confessional