It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:53 pm

Free Newsletter

grr!! icecream...

Weightloss Confessions where you can confess your weight loss sins.

Moderator: Moderators

grr!! icecream...

Postby slimdwn12 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:42 pm

Hi all, I'm new and in desperate need of a confession. This time last year i had reached my goal weigh and managed to maintain for 9 months, but over the last 4 months I have managed to put on 6kg. I have experienced a lot of change in my life over the past few months (change of jobs, moved out of home) and have become quite the emotional eater. My problem? ICECREAM!! Normally I just wouldn't buy it, but my boyfriend loves it and i don't want to deprive him of it because i have no self control. I don't know what to do! I'm trying to stick to my daily calorie allowance (1500) but every night for the last week ive been binging on icecream like a crazy woman, bringing my calorie intake to more like 2500 :( I sit there with a giant spoon and eat it straight out of the tub!! oh and yes ive already had some tonight and feel sick to my stomach. sighs...
slimdwn12

Re: grr!! icecream...

Postby miss_viva » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi Slimdwn12,

Welcome to the forums. Maybe you could consider buying yourself some low fat icecream or bars separate to the tubs that you buy for your boyfriend? That way, he can have his, and you can have yours and you won't feel like you're being deprived. Some of those Weight Watchers two-packs are pretty good, and because they're already pre-packed portion control is easier and you're more aware of how many calories you're consuming :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy8rKpB/]
[/url]

Heaviest Weight: 115kgs
New Starting Weight: 84kgs
Goal Weight: 75kgs
miss_viva

Postby fi_112 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:25 pm

You know what I'd do? Just explain to your boyfriend that right now, you can't have icecream in the house because you aren't feeling in control. I'm sure he won't mind, he can have his icecream at work or somewhere else. Although we are 'allowed' most foods now, throughout the course of my journey I have often told me boyfriend we just couldn't have certain things in the house til I felt okay about it.
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby slimdwn12 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:36 pm

Thank you for your ideas. I have tried buying the low fat options, but i find i just eat them and then eat his too! What can i say, the real stuff tastes better. I have since stopped buying icecream in tubs and have been opting for ice poles. My boyfriend is being very supportive. I think im in a better state of mind at the moment. Not really feeling tempted this week.
slimdwn12

Postby Mary123 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:42 am

maybe post pictures of your inspiration, or a dress you really want to wear.. this way when you stumble towards to ice cream you think twice.

This works for me.. I realize it's not worth it!
You can do anything you set your mind to.
SW(3/9): 71.7 KG
CW (10/9): 69.8 KG Great week!!! :)
GW ??????:59 KG (Definitely no more 70's, and no more 60's!)
Mary123

Postby sweetmaryjane » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:34 pm

The problem with these "trigger" foods like chocolate, ice cream etc is that we give them entirely too much power over us. When we see certain foods as forbidden, or when there's only a limited amount of something in the fridge, we're more likely to eat it, because we think we'll never get it again.

Now, don't punch me or anything, but I read about this in a book called "Beyond Chocolate", which is an anti-diet weight loss book. I'm into writing things down (I keep a food diary and write my thoughts in a journal every night), but I am NOT into counting calories. It sounds like you are a calorie counter, so this might be something that you could see working for you, or maybe not. This book recommended filling your fridge with ice cream, as in a crazy amount of ice cream - more than you could possibly eat in a single day. You heard me - the idea is that if you stock up on more ice cream that you could possibly eat in a single day and give yourself permission to eat it if you truly want it, you know you can have it any time you want. If you can have it any time you want, the power of ice cream disappears.

Now, I've never actually tried this myself, and apparently you have to be willing to go a little crazy and eat more ice cream that you normally would, while you adjust to the idea. There are cases of chronic chocolate bingers using this tactic and eventually leaving chocolate to go grey in their cupboard because they forgot it was there :shock:

I did do something in the same vein as this. Bingeing isn't a big problem for me any more, but like you, I have a sweet tooth, so I decided that instead of buying sweets, biscuits, Tim Tams etc, every sweet thing that I ate had to be baked by me. First of all, its better because I know what's going into it, and secondly, this allows me to make a big batch so I always have something sweet in the house if I want it. Most days I'll have a small amount, but I manage to never go overboard.

Definitely worth thinking about if ice cream is a particular problem for you. I also recommend "If Not Dieting, Then What?" by Dr Rick Kausman.

Cheers,
It's not what happens to us, it's what happens in us...

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wdHh4mQ/]
[/url]

Goal #1 Get below 90kg
Goal #2 Have a non-obese BMI!
Goal #3 Get below 80kg
sweetmaryjane

Postby gooberboggle » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:25 am

Hey there ;)

I found a good recipe for an ice cream substitute-

You can freeze a couple of bananas and then put them in a food processer thingy with a little bit of honey and a dash of water..

It tastes really really good :)
gooberboggle

Postby keroppi » Sat May 26, 2012 2:10 am

yeah, you can also make your own diet ice cream. Try to use (Ad Removed) natural sweetener which can also be used in cooking, baking and other food preparations. It tastes a lot like sugar but with very less calories.
keroppi

Return to Confessional