It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:26 am

Free Newsletter

In a rut

Weightloss Confessions where you can confess your weight loss sins.

Moderator: Moderators

In a rut

Postby The Funny Bone » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:31 pm

I'm really fed up. I'm in a rut and have been for a while. At the moment, I go to work, out of the house for 8 hours a day including travel and that's my life. I work on average 4 days a week. On my days off I do the bare minimum in regards to cleaning ect. The garden is half finished, I just can't be bothered. I sleep, eat, read, watch tele and smoke too much.

I'm trying to eat healthy but it's not happening. I've lost no weight. To make it worse, I am so stressed about the whole thing I'm getting nowhere. I stay up till the early hours of the morning and then sleep in and for instance, like today, if I had got up before 10am instead of 1130am, I could have gone to the gym before work.

I need to give up smoking, stop eating junk every day, and it is every day, go to bed at a reasonable hour and do things before work and on my day off.

It all seems too hard, although I have finally got off my arse and gone back to the gym.

Basically, I need to turn my life around and get out of this rut and really, I could make a list or a timetable of what I will do on the day ect but for some reason, I just can't get motivated to do it all.

Its not just diet, it's my whole lifestyle. I've been like this since I came back from working overseas in December and I can't seem to get out of it.

I hardly see my friends as I make no effort to ring them and arrange times to see them. It's really bad.

Edited to Add, I am single and live by myself.
The Funny Bone

Postby Dolly » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:56 pm

Hi Funnybone, you are doing fantastic, you've started the first step to changing the bad habits of yesterday by going to the gym and finding a weight loss forum to share your thoughts and progress with.
It would be great if changing things had an instant result but you can help this by setting small goals for yourself.

Lose a kilo and treat yourself to the movies (alone or with a friend) but the only snack you can take into the movies is a chupa chup lollipop.
Another small goal reward might be to give yourself some pampering time. Grap a magazine into the bathroom and take a scented bubble bath.
Treat yourself to a new book or do something different, phone a beautician and book yourself a facial.

At the moment it sounds like you need to have something special to look forward to just to get you out of your rut. Is it possible to book a weekend away with someone you care about?

Postby Fairie » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:48 pm

Are you sure your not suffering some form of depression or is it just the winter blues that we all get? :(

Like Dolly said set yourself some goals and rewards they do help and as much as we try and motivate you the real work has to come from you.

I know it's hard but once you start and keep pushing yourself to do these things it will get easier so hang in there. :D

Postby Serena » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:15 am

I know exactly how you feel! When I started out I felt exactly the same way. Now it's more of a roller coaster - sometimes I'm up, sometimes I'm way way down. I find that I feel a lot worse when I've been eating junk, and it's not just guilt either. I think that all that crap builds up in your system and drags you down. You just have to write yourself out a plan of attack (be reasonable too! No "I will eat only lettuce and I will lose 3kg a week") and make sure you include lots of regular exercise. Then each day you just look at your plan and follow the steps that you have laid out whether you feel like it or not. Write it in your diary. You wouldn't be late for work or for a Dentist appointment would you? Treat a trip to the gym with the same respect. Don't treat it as optional because it's something you have to do for your own happiness. After a week or so of eating well and getting some exercise you will start to feel heaps better and you will feel stronger and more motivated. You just have to have faith that if you put in the work, good things will follow. And nothing picks you up so much as a girls night with your friends so call them! Make the effort, good friends are irreplacable!

Postby The Funny Bone » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:44 pm

I'n not depressed, just suffering from couch potatoeness. I've got a list of things I am going to try and remove from my life and things I am going to add. Just going to tackle them one at a time.

Diet coke addiction, I can drink a couple of litres a day! I've already started removing this, have been on water only for 2 days for drinks...and I have had a headache for 2 days now. :roll:

Smoking, probably give up on my next long break from work which is shortly. I have 4 days off at the beginning of Septemeber so shall do this then.

Staying up till 2am + and sleeping in. Going to be in bed by 1130pm each night. Started that last night.

Social stuff

Healthy eating
The Funny Bone

Postby Dolly » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:27 pm

Tough challenges indeed but well worth it. You'll be adding years to your life once you give up the artificial sweetners and smokes, I'm so proud of you for trying.

Years ago for two weeks I only consumed daily 2 litres of diet coke and one slice of unbuttered bread I also jogged for 45 minutes per day.
I confused my hormones and now I am hypothyroid (I killed my thyroid hormone gland) having to take tablets for the rest of my life or I will be permanently fat.
please throw diet sweetened stuff down the sink it is poison.

Update on the changes

Postby The Funny Bone » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:28 pm

1. Diet coke addiction - had 1 600ml bottle yesterday after 2 days of no diet coke. So far, none today. Have stopped buying multican packs so no tempation in the house.

2. Smoking - lets discuss that another day ;)

3. Going to be by 1130pm - 3 days in a row now I have achieved this, and feel better for it during the day.

4. Gym - been twice this week for 30 minutes at a time.

5. Social Stuff - Am arranging to catch up with one of my close friends.

6. Healthy Eating - it's improving. I've gone from no fruits a day to 3; eating less bread, daily vege intake is much improved but still needs some more work, drinking water - improving, junk food intake hasn't improved. Still eating chochlate and chips and feel just so awful the next day, guilt mainly.
The Funny Bone

Postby Dolly » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:50 pm

Hi funny Bone, good to see you back. Hang in there I'm sure you'll make it. It's tough to stop so many vices at one time.
Click on this site address and read this article, it might help you in your decision to stop drinking diet coke or diet pepsi
click here

Return to Confessional