It is currently Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:37 am

Free Newsletter

Crash after driving myself too hard

Weightloss Confessions where you can confess your weight loss sins.

Moderator: Moderators

Crash after driving myself too hard

Postby desert_me » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:06 am

Encouraged by my initial fast weight loss, and humiliated by someone's harsh criticisms of my excess weight (Grab a personality, get hot, and get talented, or else noone will ever care about you)... I looked for ways of continuing the speedy weight loss.

Working out hard at the gym 3X a week, walking up hills for an hour a day, and attempting to go vegan.

Then, my energy levels crashed, I stopped losing weight, and then I went on the most massive binges for the last week or so. KFC, constant eating, chocolate...

Now I am 1.5 kgs heavier, and gaining fast.

What can I do to get back on the wagon, before all my lard returns?

Postby Mandie » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:24 am

Oh no, that person is AWFUL, what a horrible thing to say!!

I think sometimes the problem is that we do lose that initial weight so fast, and it takes so long to get the rest off.. we wonder what we are doing wrong! The fact is - we aren't doing anything wrong! The initial stuff you lose is usually water-weight, and it's quite natural for your weight loss to slow down as you start shedding fat.

The fact is, lifestyle changes to keep the weight off forever take time. Sure, you can crash diet and might even get 10-20kg off at a time, but you'll put it all back on! And it's actually better for your body to remain overweight than to constantly yo-yo!

Wouldn't you rather lose the weight over a longer period of time, and keep it off, than have to go on a crazy diet for the short term and gain it all back later?

Concentrate on being HEALTHY, not just on losing weight. Exercise (but remember to give yourself time to recover!) and eat healthily, allowing yourself the odd treats. If you allow yourself that one small chocolate bar a week, you can look forward to that, and you won't need to binge on an entire packet!

I'm sure the others can offer some more good advice - I'll just end by saying that you need to do this for YOU. Not for some tosser who says nasty comments, not to improve a relationship, not to show off to anyone.. just for YOU. You're doing this for your own health, and your own future wellbeing. Keep that in mind, and no small-minded idiot can worry you!

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:49 am

i agree totally with mandie. you need to do it for you and learn to keep your chin up and think of everything in the long term instead of the short term. getting healthy is something to learn for life, that person who said the nasty comment is probably just jealous. by eating junk to make yourself feel better you arent going to look better for it.

keep up the great effort you had going and you will do fine!

Postby Ally » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:18 am

Oh desert_me that is terrible. What a horrible thing to say someone ( I certainly hope you have nothing to do with the person anymore). The advice from Mandie is spot on mate. Go back and re-read what she said to let it soak in.

Mate you CANNOT let other people rule nor ruin your life through stupid comments. I speak with the voice of experience when I say you have to ignore it and just move on!! I spent all my life listening to others and taking what other people said to heart and I let it affect me for literally years. I ended being huge! It wasn't until the last probably month and a half that something just clicked in my head and I decided that I was not going on any more diets and I chose to eat healthy and start to exercise. Yes it is going to take a long time, but instant results, through crash dieting etc only make you fatter in the long run. Thus also giving you a further kick when you are down.

You CAN do this and you can lose the weight at your own pace through sensible diet and exercising.

When you said that you tried to become a vegan so quickly, did you seek any advice from anyone?? Often people will just stop eating meat and think it is ok, but you need to replace the meat protein with other protein suitable in a vegan diet. I think we have a couple of vegetarians and vegans here on this site that may be able to offer you some sound advice if you do chose to continue a vegan diet.

Please don't listen to the harsh comments that were directed at you. You are the same person inside, no matter what your outside shell looks like!! We have to accept ourselves for WHO we are, not what we look, then once we love ourselves for who we are we can start to make some changes to what we look like. Keep your chin up and know that you have some excellent support here on this site. We are here to encourage and support you and even kick you up the bum if that is what you need us to do :lol: . Don't think that you can't lose the weight, because you can!!

Postby KimE » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:19 pm

Desert_me that is a horrible thing for someone to say to you or anyone for that matter. How cruel and what's more I don't believe a word of it. I don't believe you have to be prettier, slimmer, smarter for people to like you, love you, care for you. Not at all that's not the true essence of who you are. Look inside yourself, love yourself and you will see the nasty words are just not true.

The ladies are right you don't want to loose the weight speedily only to put it on again. Remember, you are not in a race and try not to measure yourself against others. We are all different and our bodies react differently to what and how we do things. Think about how long it took to put on the weight you have, for me that is about 10-15 yrs, I find this helps to put some perspective on it and realise it will take a long time to come off.

Keep up the exercise I am a big believer in it so will always recommend people to that end. However, what a lot of people don't take into account is you need to eat according to your energy needs. If you are working out most days at a reasonable intensity you are not gonna get by on a lettuce leaf. Make sure you have enough carbs, fats and proteins to get you through the amount of exercise you are doing and help your body recover.

I hope you can get past this and move on. Get back on track and then you will know that no matter what some butthole says you are out there doing it, making yourself a healthier person.

We are here for you so please let us know how you are going and we can give you the support you need.

Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby fiona » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:38 pm

:shock: :shock: that horrible little person, they need to get a life!!
You don't need to resort to food anymore to shore up those emotional holes. Get on this website and soak up the good vibes everybody sends ok? We're all in the same basket as you. We all want to change the way we look to greater or lesser degrees. I want to be a size 10 (i started at 16-18). My advice is: Lie in bed in the morning and say to yourself "I'm not going to sabotage myself today" i'm going to do the best i can to stay as healthy as i can". Sometimes i fail miserably but i just keep on saying it to myself and keep positive.
Keep your chin up ok?

Return to Confessional