It is currently Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:33 am

Free Newsletter

Reward? Hell NO!

Weightloss Confessions where you can confess your weight loss sins.

Moderator: Moderators

Reward? Hell NO!

Postby Kylie » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:36 am

I have been struggling, yet doing well over the last few weeks. Meaning that I am finding it hard not to pig out (eat what I want etc) but it has all been worth it as I lost 1 kg! WOO HOO!
Last week: 82kg, this week: 81kg (Im loving it!)

In order to "celebrate" my "achievements" I thought (stupidly) that I would "reward" myself ...with FOOD! :(
We went out for dinner and I blew my calorie count out of the water!!

I am trying to stick to 1500 calories a day. By dinner time, I had reached 862 calories, therefore for dinner I had about 600 calories to do with what I pleased! You think that would be enough, huh? Well, noooooooo! I had garlic prawns, rice, salad (good), ice cream, 2 beers and 2 glasses of wine! :oops: :evil: :(

I am so devastated and I am petrified of getting on those scales this morning as I will feel completely sad if its gone up again -which I am sure it has :cry:
My Calorie count was just over 2000! :?

I need a new reward system. KimE was saying she rewards herself by going to the gym -that won't work for me as Im not a member of a gym. And I would really like to reward myself with food but only a treat... not a feast! I just couldn't stop and I am really upset at myself over it.

Can anyone recommend any nice treats for rewards?

Does anyone else do this?

Postby Ally » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:06 am

Kylie the first thing I am going to say to you is don't be so hard on yourself...

the second is do not under any circumstances get on those scales until next weeks weigh in, OK?

Do not beat yourself up over one meal mate, pick yourself up and dust the garlic crumbs off your mouth and make the next meal a healthy one. We all eat things we shouldn't, none of us eat healthy 100% of the time (where would be the fun in that?? LOL) I know that you are feeling pretty terrible at the moment, but don't let one over the top meal ruin all those great kgs already lost!!

If you don't feel you can handle having treat meals etc look at non-food rewards

*beauty treatments (massage, facials)
*do something that you have never done before but as you are losing weight would like to a daredevil!!

the list is endless and pick something that you would like to do or buy. Sit down and make yourself a list and write down at what stage you would like to buy those things (2, 5, 10kgs etc)

If you still feel that you would like to have a treat meal, maybe to stop the guilts next time around is to have fewer calories through the day (smoothie for breakfast, salads for lunch) that way you can dine guilt free!!!! I hope this is a help to you.

Postby Kylie » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:22 am

Thanks Ally. I can't bear the thought of not weighing myself every single morning. But I will take your advice!! I can do it. I will TRY to wait until next Friday morning to weigh myself.
I guess i was a little hard on myself. I feel better now though, thanks! :)

Postby hushpuppy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:44 am

Hi ya K . dont be so down mate . We all have slips now and then it is part of the learning curve
What i have devised for mysef as reward is that every 5 kg lost i am able to buy a charm for a charm braclet (coming for xmas ) . The charms i get can somehow be an acheivement to me
i now have 2 charms . The fisrt was a horseshoe (for luck )the last one i have found is a muffin (lol to show i dont need bad food) by the time i have lost all the weight the charms will be my story so to speak lol
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:19 am

hi kylie well done on your loss :) sorry about your over the calorie thing :( just get back on the horse today mate. reward yourself with other things like ally mentioned above. i was suppose to get a hair cut and head massage and so on at my 15 kg mark- well thats way gone and still havent had a chance to get it done! you can reward yourself but just be sensible about it :) best wishes :)

Postby KimE » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:54 pm

Kylie, I'm with Ally don't get on those scales. They will not tell you the truth anyway, try your best to wait till your next weight in.

If you are going to use food as a treat then make it a small treat. So if you allow yourself chocolate don't buy a block buy a small bar and savour each bite. That way if you want more there won't be any more.

Don't get down though mate it is surprising how quickly the calories add up if you're not consciously thinking of them. Cheer up, make the next choice a healthy one.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby SarahC » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:28 am

Hi Kylie. I completely know what you mean! I am the world's worst when it comes to using food as a reward. Since I reached my maintenance weight, I have been doing nothing but eat... as a reward for all the hard work :shock:

I'm also one who can't live without standing on the scales at least once a day! The only thing I can suggest is that, if they are electronic scales, try removing the battery and hiding it somewhere (like at the back of the top shelf of a cupboard). That worked for me once... well for about a day until I couldn't stand it anymore :lol:

I think a good reward would be to do something relaxing... like a bubble bath, watching your favourite tv show, something like that. I think it's far easier to control your eating if you're feeling happy and relaxed :?

Postby ossabelli » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:05 am

I have a hard time not rewarding myself with food items as well. But I try to reward myself with things like a new pair of pants (that way you know you have to keep working hard to fit into them!)

Good luck!
"A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep."

Return to Confessional