It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:06 pm

Free Newsletter

Chocolate, my friend and worst enemy

Weightloss Confessions where you can confess your weight loss sins.

Moderator: Moderators

Chocolate, my friend and worst enemy

Postby Jennifer's Body » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:28 am

I really really wish that there were no such thing as chocolate. I've been slipping back into my habit of overeating. Today I ate an entire bar of chocolate (and a big one at that), as well as other food that I shouldn't be touching. I don't understand why I can't stop eating. I even eat stuff that I don't particularly like, just for the sake of eating it, which makes me feel bad about myself, which makes me eat even more :(. I really dislike myself right now. I wish I had more willpower.

How do you guys deal with these things? Any good ideas for me?
Thanks for listening to that rant, and good luck to everyone.

Regards,
Jennifer
Weight Loss Center is your best free resource for weight loss
Jennifer's Body

Re: Chocolate, my friend and worst enemy

Postby CronicBadger » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:59 am

Two things that I can think of:
1) Don't think of chocolate bars as real "food". They're just a nice tasting sugar and fat delivery system. And they're definitely not anyone's friend!

2) The problem is not that chocolate bars are "irresistable". I suspect the problem is that you need to form the permanent habit of taking responsibility for your own health. All these little choices, such as whether or not to eat a chocolate bar, add up to have an overall impact on our body's ability to resist disease and general wear & tear.

Personally, I almost never have sugary treats as a snack when I'm hungry since I sometimes want more and more and find it difficult to stop. So now it's only the rare occasions, such as parties, I'll have them - as dessert after a main meal when I'm no longer hungry. I've found that to be the best way to avoid having "just one more".

The forum's website has some good articles that may be of help:
Food Cravings
Emotional Eating

This next article has a table that shows how much effort it would be to exercise off a chocolate bar.
Treats - Are They Worth It?

How to say "No Thanks", a useful thing to tell yourself as well as other people!
No Thanks!

This article lists some of the damage sugar can do:
Sugar And Weight Loss
CronicBadger

Postby Roblyssa » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:50 pm

I totally agree. The food we eat is all in our heads. It is the choices we make that make us what we are. I rarely ever touch chocolate now (and trust me, I love chocolate), and I can walk into Woolies, see cadbury bars on special for 80c and buy 3 - FOR MY KIDS (as a treat, and trust me, they rarely ever get chocolate as a treat). I don't salivate while walking down the chocolate isle anymore. I don't 'HAVE' to have anything. And in the beginning, it wasn't easy, but it was a choice, and I made it through the barrier and now I no longer even want anything like chips, lollies, cake etc.

The 'diet' I am using (I call it my 'choices') is an iPhone app I fell over last week called My Fitness Pal and it is an online diary of the food and drinks you consume. I find it fabulous as it makes me accountable for everything that goes in my mouth. It counts down all the calories I am allowed in a day, and you have to make them last for the day. When you see a yoghurt has 66 calories and a mars bar has 228 calories, which would you go with? The mars bar sure is yummier, but the strawberry yoghurt is just as nice as it goes down and I would now go for the yoghurt. This doesn't mean you can't treat yourself to a little fun size mars bar, maybe just make it once a week after weigh in?? And you can get low fat yoghurts in cheesecake flavour and other yummy, low calorie flavours!

Good luck with your journey! I wish you all the best!
Roblyssa

Postby Roblyssa » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:52 pm

Oh and My Fitness Pal is also online....

www.myfitnesspal.com

Brilliant website, recommend it to anyone wanting to lose weight!
Roblyssa

Postby electrongirl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:38 am

I don't deprive myself of anything I like. I really think that sets you up for a huge binge.

I allow myself small amounts of the things I like eg: chocolate, desserts, ice cream etc. And I have managed to lose 60lbs (27kg). I rarely have an off the wagon day because I am allowing myself small treats here and there.

I am doing this for the rest of my life. Are you willing to NEVER have chocolate again? That's what you need to figure out.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby wants2loseWEIGHT » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:49 am

Chocolate is a guilty pleasure. It has been my friend since childhood. I actually wanted to go Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. :lol: :lol: But yes, it could be our enemy too. We have to eat it in moderation. Chocolates are desserts not MAIN COURSE> :lol: :lol: :lol:
To lose weight is to change your lifestyle to a healthy one - Marga

01/11/2011 = 102 kg
06/02/2012 = 93 kg
26/03/2012=91 kg
16/04/2012=88.4 kg
01/05/2012=85.1 kg
17/06/2012=78.1 kg
01/07/2012=76 kg
22/07/2012=72.5 kg
20/08/2012=68.5 kg
03/09/2012=67.8 kg
30/09/2012=66.1 kg
30/10/2012=64.9 kg
30/11/2012=62.1 kg
09/12/2012=62.2 kg
23/12/2012=61.9 kg
05/01/2013=62 kg
24/02/2013=59.9 kg
wants2loseWEIGHT

Postby kylakeeper » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:23 pm

We have the same problem. I really love chocolates and I can't say that I can get rid to eat some.
kylakeeper

Postby Jennifer's Body » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:36 am

You guys are all really awesome for replying :). Unfortunately, I don't have a smartphone, so I can't really keep track of my eating all day. However, I'm determined to try it. Tomorrow, I'm getting up early for a run or walk (this is a first :P). I hope I'll like it and that I'll be able to keep it up. Since my last message, I've gained a few pounds, so I'm not feeling too good about myself right now (and not just in the weight department).

Well, really I just wanted to say thanks to you all. Thanks a lot and good luck on your journeys towards a healthier and happier life!

Regards,
Jennifer
Weight Loss Center is your best free resource for weight loss
Jennifer's Body

Postby natalies9312 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:21 pm

If you want chocolate i eat one of two things. Freddo frog (60cal) or have a milo or hot chocolate (depends on how you make it and brand on cals). The best chocolate is milo. With half your daily serve of iron, vit c and loads of other vitamins and minerals it is good for you.
natalies9312

Postby keroppi » Sat May 26, 2012 2:16 am

I'm using (Ad Removed) on my chocolate drinks (yeah i know it's really hard to resist chocos and other sweets :( ). I like this one cause it has low calorie content. I'm being healthy and fit at the same time. :)
keroppi

Return to Confessional