It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:50 am

Free Newsletter

Weight gain and quitting smoking

Weightloss Confessions where you can confess your weight loss sins.

Moderator: Moderators

Weight gain and quitting smoking

Postby NICKINSW » Tue May 08, 2007 7:52 pm

I have recently (3 weeks) quit smoking and noticed i cant loose weight infact i have gained 1.5kgs!
Does anyone have any tips or advice for me?
At this rate i actually am thinking of taking up smoking again!

Postby KimE » Tue May 08, 2007 8:35 pm

Hi Nick and welcome to the forum.

Not sure if you have done this but a lot of people substitute something else for smoking, usually some sort of food with lollies being a big culprit. Maybe keep an eye on what and when you are eating.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby Chelle » Tue May 08, 2007 11:25 pm

Congratulations on giving up smoking you are on the way of a healthier life. I can't remember when I quit smoking it has been 7 years so I can't quite recall. Just watch what you are eating because with somking you are always in a habbit of putting somthing in your mouth, so you could be substitute with food without even realising it. I would not worry about 1.5gain it could be just fluids.

Postby milkyway » Wed May 09, 2007 12:17 am

Well done on quitting. I put on about 5kg when I quit smoking because instead of smoking between classes (I was teaching English at the time) I was shoving crackers and all kind of snacks into my mouth.

However, I'd take those 5kg over smoking anyday!!! They say it's normal to put on a few kgs after quitting because you do tend to substitute the cigs for food, and as your taste and smell senses return, you enjoy food so much more. But they also say that it starts to come off naturally once you get a bit more mobile and get over the cravings etc.

All the best :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby MissE » Tue May 15, 2007 5:04 pm

Everyone is right. Quitting smoking doesnt make you put on weight. Quitting smoking makes you eat more, eating more makes you put on weight. So make sure you snack healthily, and try not to eat to cover cravings, keep yourself occupied some other way!
Life is too important to be taken seriously!

Return to Confessional