It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:01 am

Free Newsletter

Xanthe

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Xanthe

Postby xanthe » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:17 am

Hey all - let me introduce myself.

My name is 'Xanthe' - I'm 23 years old and currently living overseas and away from home. I've been gone for a few months now and return in a few.

I'm going to try my best to give an unabashed completely start account of my journey for better body and health, so hope it's not too honest at times!

I have put on a little weight since I left home. Due to a lot partying at first I lost weight, but then the stresses of life (and there were many) led to a lot of emotional eating which in turn led me to put on some weight. I don't own a set of scales at the moment but I can just tell - well, it's not hard to see in photos. When I left home I weighed about 62 Kg - I am going to guess I am probably at about 66 or 67 at the moment. So not tooooo great a hurdle really, but I have told myself a million times over the past two months that I am going to do this, and I am getting the shits with myself!

I suppose it is easier being away from home to put weight on and just live with it and not do anything about it. You sort of think 'Well, no one I know can see me, I'll just lose it before I go'. But the truth is I've had little weight battles ever since highshool. Nothing major, but always been up and down. I really want to somehow try and tackle my emotional eating issues.

eVERytime I've tried to start a diet lately, or just eating right, I go and scoff two choccie bars as if it's the last supper and I think 'I'll start tomorrow'. I know this is a silly mentality and it should be about Everything in Moderation. That's another mentality I'd like to grasp and brand into my skull. Be all and end all will never work.

It's so easy to succumb to temptation when your friends are always offering you junk when you go to thier homes, because they're those bloody lucky people with the metabolisms that grant them permission to eat whatever they desire (If Only!!!) A while ago I devised a plan where I would be careful with my own eating but allow myself treats if offered. And also, if food was offered at work. It was like 'quilt free naughty food' But no. I realise now that is rediculous, because too often is this high-calorie food on offer in my life. I need to develop a stronger mind and a mind that doesn't say yes to everything.

I need to develop a mind that dips into the pot of veges at free work lunches and doesn't head stright for the buttery mash.

I need to confess something. I have a chocolate problem. I won't say I am chocoholic because I think that this is fobbing off my responsibility in the matter - like saying, 'I'm addicted so that's just the way it is'. That is silly. I am not addicted. I will not have withdrawels if I don't eat cocoa. My chocolate consumption I'm convinced is an emotional thing. I'm happy - I eat choc. I'm stressed - I eat choc. Sad, get me some choc. Anxious, choc choc choc.

I need to find some other way to deal with my emotions that doesn't involve the brown stuff.

It is also a little difficult over here as at home I play sport and here I don't, also can't, and it's so cold that it's hard to stay motivated, and walking is boring.

It's going to be a hard journey but I am determined to get where I want to be as it's something I think about everyday. I'm not happy with how I look and it's not how I want to return home.

Next time, I'll write how I intend to do this!

Welcome comments and suggestions.
x Summer - Your Body is Your Temple, Look After It-
xanthe

Postby luse_it_all » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:01 am

Hey, the important thing which you have done just now is admitting you need/want to lose weight/eat healthy/live happy..

So kudos..

Can't wait to hear about your progress and what you plan on doing to get there :)

Live life 8)
luse_it_all

Postby Mandie » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:26 am

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your loss. Have a browse through some progress threads to see what everyone is doing, but I reckon you have some of the right ideas already - it's all about moderation, it's about small healthy changes that you can sustain. It's not about "all or nothing" diets that don't work!

And you can decide what to do about chocolate. Some people give it up entirely, because they don't trust themselves to stop at a small amount. Other people do really well with small amounts of good quality chocolate (say, 2 little squares of dark chocolate a day) so that they don't feel as if they are missing out.

I tend to ignore it until I want it, then I ask myself if I really want it, and if something else will do. If I must have chocolate, there's the Nestle diet mousses which taste really chocolatey and are low in calories. Or, actual chocolate - you can make a sensible decision! Like a MilkyWay has heaps less calories than most other chocolates - just check the labels! Or have a small freddo frog or something similar. For me, if I deprive myself too long, that's when I'll go nuts and eat a whole block! But if I have a small amount, I'm good :)

Best of luck! You'll find lots of advice and support here :)
Mandie

Postby milkyway » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:33 am

Welcome Xanthe and best of luck for your weightloss journey. We're about similar weights with similar goals. I lost 7 kilos then have put on about 2 in the last 3 months and have about 9kg to go to my goal weight. But I am shrinking, so am trying not to focus too much on the scales.

I am a chocolate lover too and it doesn't help that my sister has a chocolate shop... there's always something new to sample... and I'm there almost every day :oops:
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:42 am

Hi Xanthe and welcome to the forum! It is hard to be around friends etc and avoid the offerred excesses. It's all about making choices. Maybe next time you can have just the cracker without the cheese, or the plain biscuit instead of 10 timtams? Every little step counts and if it takes you a while to back off from what you are currently having, well that's that much longer to learn your new healthy habit.

Oh and just so you know, if you are eating lots of chocoalte...it can actually have physiolocial effects (due to the caffeine in cocoa and the seratonin release that accompanies chocolate consumption)
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Update

Postby xanthe » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:04 pm

Hello again.

Thanks all for you kind and helpful replies.

I wish I was back with good progresive news, but alas, not the case yet.

A couple of positive developments in the last week.

I read up on Emotional Eating - something which really affects me. I tried to do as they say and identify when I fall prey to EE. For me, it can be when I'm happy, anxious, excited, angry, frustrated ... and always before I decide to eat well again! Lonliness as well I think - which is a big one now, when I don't have as many close friends an famly around as usual.

Oh yeah. And the old - eat junk after drinking one.

I tried to put into prectice a couple of suggested steps when I realised I was about to eat junk for emotional reasons. I asked myself, 'Am I really hungry?' 'Am I craving a particular food (emotional based eating) - and then I persuaded myself to give myself time to get over the craving. And it worked, a few times! This was for eating for happiness, anxiosness.

Frustration/anger need some more work - as I tend to tell myself I DESERVE to eat whatever I want after I have been "wronged". But at the end I don't feel better do I?

The eating after drinking one needs work - as does the eating when jolly one - the one that usually strikes in a social setting whre yummy food i offered and you jsut feel it would be In the Spirit of things to comply.

The positive thing is that I have identified the realy weaknesses - the ones that it is harder to resist. So now I can try to break those as well.

I feel so much better afterI have been eating and living well than when I stuff myself. I ask myself, why do I do it!!

I started a diary which I have been sticking to. Bit of a points system. Happy with it.

Tomorrow I am investing in a set of scales. I know some people say you don't need them - but I would like to know where I'm at - have some goals and motivation and rewards.

That's my update - hope I can enlighten you with more positive news next time.

x
x Summer - Your Body is Your Temple, Look After It-
xanthe

Postby milkyway » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:42 pm

Good on you Xanthe - sounds like you're making great progress, even if it isn't showing on the scales.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Return to Personal Progress