It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:19 pm

Free Newsletter

emmalito's (slow) goodbye to her muffin top

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

emmalito's (slow) goodbye to her muffin top

Postby emmalito » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:17 pm

Well, yesterday wasn't so good. I barely managed to get a deficit at all, and ate 6 mini flakes somewhat mindlessly in front of the computer.

But today is going a little better. Went to Freo to do some Christmas shopping, only to see the markets were closed (ugg boots) and Cicerello's doesn't sell merchandise anymore (tee shirt). Still, Lottie and i had a good time walking around for a couple of hours (and i'm counting that as exercise, as although some of the time i was walking at sloooow "hey mum look at this twig! hey mum, look at that dog!" pace, the rest of the time i was carrying her, and lugging a bag and a three year old up and down the street is hard work).

We stopped for morning tea at Cicerello's, and i had a skinny latte, ignoring the siren songs wafting from the cake displays (choccy mud cake, cheesecakes, baklava ...). Pinched maybe six of Lottie's grapes, and left her cookie well alone.

Then she was being so good that we stopped for an icecream - for her - and even though it was Cold Rock, and i was very tempted to get a baby cup, i didn't. Just a little one for her. I didn't even 'help' her with it (you know, when you lick around the melty bits to stop it dripping ... or is that just me?)

Just got home, and i had a wholemeal roll with chicken breast for lunch.

Have horrible work that is sliding closer to overdue to get done today/tonight, and will take the dog for a walk/run later when Mark gets home. Will also try and get in some resistance training. When i suck in my bely, it is flat, so i think half is fat, half is very weak abdominal muscles.

Speaking of Mark, he's been trying to lose a couple of kilos too for the past week or so. He stepped on the scales last night (he doesn't need the cheaty 'first thing in the morning after you pee but before you eat' advantage), and has lost two kilos. Without really trying.

The b*stard.

Reminds me of my brother's skinny ex, who would sit around with my sister (slightly larger than me) and myself, and moan about how hard it was to gain weight. She would be all 'oh, i eat and eat, and i just can't get any bigger', expecting sympathy from us, all hot and sweaty from busting our humps at the gym. It was very hard not to just tell her to shut up, or to suggest the amount of drugs she took may have had something to do with it...

Postby Sas » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:44 pm

Nice self control! It can be so tempting just to give in and have that piece of cake :) Good work for resisting the urge!

I know how you feel about men and weight loss... my DH can eat till the cows come home and eat what ever he wants and he doesn't seem to put weight on...bast*rd! lol

Keep up the good work and good luck with the exercise this afternoon chickie :)

Postby electrongirl » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:16 pm

wow! Strong willpower there!! Well done!

I'm not even going to talk about men and weightloss!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog:

Image Image

Postby Jisgone » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:18 pm

ooh cicerellos does the BEST fish and chips! i want i want hehe
you did very well saying no today! keep it up :)

Postby GoddessInside » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:16 pm

Great going with the willpower, you will find that it will become easier and you wont even feel like eating any of the things you crave !
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg

Postby milkyway » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:48 pm

Doing great! :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby shelbel » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:08 pm

SAid no to Cicerellos AND cold rock!! Geez i need some of your willpower to get me thru the festive season! LOL

Well done your off to a great start there!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)

Postby oostevens » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:57 pm

wow u are doin so well for your first few days :) its hard to say no and start changing things, but believe me, the day you realise that eating half a small chips from maccas makes you feel sick and full, you realise how much you have changed :) and how much healthy food is much nicer to eat and for your health :)

and i can imagine it must have been a great workout carrying a child around the shops ha ha i nurse my niece and she is only 9mths old and my arms get sore from that! is that just me, or maybe she is really fat :p hope i get better at it before i have a kid :)

just keep up the motivation and keep thinking of your goals :) and imagining yourself at the weight u want to be, and what u will look like.

funny you should mention husband is also trying to lose weight, but i am having more luck with it :p maybe its cos he doesn't workout much (well we both don't know but i use to) and yeah i dunno, but he has lost maybe 4kgs as opposed to my 8 :P yay i win!

Keep us up to date with your progress, i look forward to reading it :)

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

Postby emmalito » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:12 pm

well week three is off to a good start. So far, i'm averaging 1.2 kilos lost a week.

Chest: 9.5 cm lost
Waist: 10.5 cm lost
Hips: 11.7 cm lost
Bicep: .4 cm lost
Forearm: .5 cm lost
Thigh: 5 cm lost
Calf: 2.5 cm lost

Body fat %: 8.01% lost.

Went shoping on Sat and got a dress for the races. It's a bright blue wrap around halter one, with pink and green flowers climbing up it. I liked the retro look of it, plus the fact that it was a 'one size fits all'.

Also got some fabbu apple green patent peep toe cork wedges to go with it. They put me at over six foot tall .... and the best bit was they were only $10! oh Target, i love you so.

First time I've been shopping for girly things in ages. I usually buy teeshirts, sneakers, that sort of thing. That's why i had to go get a dress for the races. It was trackies or work clothes otherwise.

Got my hair done today as a reward for almost reaching 80 (80.5 is close enough for me). And also my roots were showing and the ends were making like bananas and splitting. Then got home and put a couple of flaming pink streaks through (the bottomest layer at the back and one in the front). I wanted to get some clip n extensions in another colour to go under, but my hair is already longer than the extensions they sell most places (unless i wanted to pay muchas moolah for Jessica Simpson's range).

This is a long winded way of saying that a) i REALLY like shopping and b) i am feeling good about myself; for the first time in ages felt ... worth buying pretty things. I even got a shortie nightie thing to take to Melbourne.

Mark will be so shocked that i'm not wearing grungy old undies or giant pj pants he might faint.

Only problem is my finger tips are a bit pink still (took of the gloves and went to rinse before putting on new ones. Too impatient). But it makes a nice change from last week's orangey colour, thanks to a not-very-successful self-tanning experiment. Odd how it stains your fingers and nails uniformly, but i still managed to make streaky bits on my legs.

Postby sassi » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:55 am

there are some awesome losses there! you're flying along :)

your shopping trip sounds great! and i love the sound of your hair :) ash is usually pretty good for getting hair dye stains off skin - if you don't smoke, just burn some newspaper & use the ash from that. it works surprisingly well! or even just a teeny bit of nail polish remover can help!

Postby emmalito » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:06 am

Back from Melbourne now, and have to admit i went a bit nuts over there. Curse you room service and minibar!

Have decided the solution is to go on holiday more often, so that the novelty wears off and i don't eat as if i can leave the weight like the soggy towels on the hotel bathroom floor when i leave.

Got back on Sunday night, and weighed myself Monday morning. Had managed to put on 3 kilos in five days! If only you could lose it that fast. I was a bit upset, even though i was sort of expecting it, it still was a kick in the guts.

Measurements only went up by .5 of a cm if at all though. I think it was partly due to not drinking as much water, and the effect that travelling always seems to have on my stomach. *TMI alert* I get a bit ... bound up whenever i go away.

Now I'm home, i haven't been eating as well as i was, but i'm back to the usual routine bathroom wise, and am back down to 81.7.

I did quite a bit of walking in Melbourne, and have roped the kids into doing silly circuits with me (skipping, dancing, jumping up and down, bouncing on trampoline, punching pillows etc), which they really love, and is an easy way to get some exercise in without trying to find the time after they've gone to bed. Plus if they're doing it with me, i don't feel like such a knob. Have also taken the dog for two walks (sorry about today Milo, but i had to get this work done).

Overall, didn't have anywhere near as many 'oh my god, nothing to wear, i look like an overgrown oompa loompa' moments as i used to whenever faced with trying to chose something to wear. I even forgot to be excruciatingly self concious for whole hours at a time (some days, particularly if i've made an effort to 'look nice', all i can think of is how i look, whether i'm sitting too slouched, how big my arms are, and comparing comparing comparing. It's as if by trying to look nice i've somehow made my weight even more apparent, as if the track pants and scruffy jeans trick people into thinking i'm slim. Scruffy, but slim).

But I'm finding my motivation slipping a little. Haven't been as thorough with the calorie counting as i should be, and eaten biccies and chocolate absentmindedly while waiting for the kettle to boil, or cooking dinner, and sort of gone "oh! did i just eat that?"

Now I've FINALLY finished this book, that has been dragging along like an albatross around my neck for a month now, i think i'll feel better. It's been very tricky to do, and i have only just finished the synopsis that i had planned to complete way before i went away.

Sheesh, just worked out that i only have four days - with the kids at home - to do the second draft of the diving book that was sent to me TWO MONTHS ago, the proof of the poetry anthology, the last of the Christmas shopping, the Christmas cooking, cleaning and decorating, and of course the wrapping of presents (complete with the storming aroudn the house muttering 'where the F*ck is the sellotape? And who took my scissors?').

Oh well, who needs sleep anyway.

Postby emmalito » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:11 am

Oh yeah, forgot to say - the ash trick worked a treat!

Dress was a bit of an issue though. I got Mark to iron it for me before the races, and he did such a good job that he even ironed out the pleats in the chest bit, so it pouffed out a little too much for my puppies. Given that it was the kind of dress you don't wear a bra under (or you don't pack a bra to wear under as when you tried it on at home it was fine), i was a little bit "chesty La Rue" all day, even with the little pin from the compliementary sewing kit.

Never mind. It was only major issue when i forgot and lent forward, which i remembered not to do. Most of the time.

Return to Personal Progress