It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 5:46 pm

Free Newsletter

EvilWombatQueen's progress

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: EvilWombatQueen's progress

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:37 am

Good luck with your conception plans, N2L! I'm sorry to hear you have been having so many troubles. I hope the test results give you hope and you find a course of action that suits you.

I haven't started trying yet I have to admit. I haven't been back to the GP to see if my vitamin D levels are normal yet so I need to do that first. And my family are pressuring me to finish my PhD beforehand. Both my mum and my sister had morning sickness so bad that they couldn't read without wanting to throw up, which would make completing a thesis rather difficult! Part of me just wants to wait a while. It seems almost unfair to go straight from 8 years of full-on study to 18 years of full-on parenting! I just want to have a bit of drunken, debauched fun first! However, since I'm already past 36 I really don't have the luxury of time to do that.

I'm trying to lose a few kilos before TTC. They say that losing just 5kg, regardless of your starting weight, can help with conception. Given how long it's taken me to lose the last 5kg I hate to think how long the next 5 will take me! :lol:

I think a thread for people TTC would be a great idea. I'd certainly join in!

On the weight-loss front: same old, same old. My eating has been good. Not drinking alcohol, but that's more because of the migraines I've had over the last four days than from willpower. I'm monitoring my food and exercise using Calorie King and eating low GI foods to keep me full for longer. I need to buy more fruit so that I can have a couple of pieces per day as snacks. Still walking a hell of a lot. I'm going to start working in some higher impact exercise now that I've finished teaching for the semester and have a little bit more free time.

I hope everyone has had a good week and that you've all got a great weekend lined up!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby nothing2lose » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi EWQ

Well done on your healthy eating! I have had a not so terrific week myself (maybe I should call it a "weak" rather than a "week" :lol: ). I havent gone absolutely overboard but I have certainly had more than my fair share of bad calls when it comes to eating. My exercise has been incidental rather than planned too. So that hasnt helped.

Anyway...this is your thread so back to you!!

I know what you mean with the timing issue with TTC. But someone told me it is never a great time and that's true. And, as you have pointed out, sadly there is that ever present biological clock :(

When I fell pregnant with my daughter nine years ago I was just under 100 kilos (97 I think???) The strange thing was being pregnant made me lose weight and I didnt look pregnant until the last few months. I had no morning sickness at all so no vomiting. I think my metabolism must have gone into overdrive or something??? I am not yet back at that weight but I am hoping to be there soon! Maybe when I am my body will better respond to my TTC efforts.

The thing I found really tough being pregnant - especially early on - was a real lack of ability to focus and concentrate. That, and complete and utter exhaustion. I imagine that, with morning sickness on top, would make it difficult to do your PhD. That said, just because your mum and sister had morning sickness, it doesnt mean you will. Unfortunately you wont know until you get there :roll:
I am not sure how close you are to completing your studies but, if it helps, I wish I had started trying earlier for my second child. Studies can wait (and I say that as someone who is academically inclined). If you want a child, that really cant wait. Harsh but true.
Having a child doesnt mean your life stops. It changes. Sometimes in ways you wish it hadnt. But then life is like that anyway!

Just had a thought...I wonder how many men sit in chat rooms having these conversations??? :lol:

Anyway...hope your weekend is a good one.

Wish me luck as I climb back on the healthy eating horse

n2l

ps I started a TTC thread. Two actually. One - "getting buff to get up the duff", the other I cant remember the name of but it is in the parenting and weighloss section...
LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A THIN PERSON....AND EVENTUALLY YOUR BODY WILL MATCH YOUR LIFESTYLE!

HW - September 2008 - 121.3kg :( :(
SW - 16 May 2010 - 110.4 kg :(
New SW - 6 January 2011 - 108 kg :(
First GW 99kg :) My aim is to reach this goal by April 15, 2011
nothing2lose

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:12 pm

I'm in the last few months of my thesis so I (hopefully) won't have to put off conception for much longer. Given that the GP wants me to get my vitamin D levels normal first it's not too bad a thing to wait for a month or two, I guess. I would have liked to have kids before doing my PhD, but then I wouldn't have been able to afford to study full-tome anyway. Ironically, the whole purpose for my doing the PhD was so that I could be the main breadwinner and so we could afford more kids!

Bah. Grown-up life gets complicated at times. :lol:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:37 pm

I just got another blood test back. My vitamin D levels are still below normal! The GP almost didn't believe that I was taking my supplements each day, but now she's concerned that I'm not assimilating the D3 properly in my stomach. She's told me to double my dosage, taking two pills per day. I'll get my vitamin D levels tested early next year to see if they're any better.

On the upside she said that my vitamin D levels, though lower than normal, aren't too low to try for a baby. So I'm going off the pill and we're going to jump on the TTC wagon. Eek. I'm going to be drinking a lot of wine this week because I won't be having any for a long time once we start trying!

The irony is that going off the pill and giving up booze will probably see me finally kick these last few kilos... just in time to get big and fat with a baby-belly. :lol:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby ali76 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:27 pm

Good luck with the TTC Ali xxx
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby Freddy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:07 am

Good luck Ali!
Freddy

Postby Czarina » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:08 pm

Good luck, Ali!

Have you seen the movie "Idiocracy"!? I couldn't help but think when I read your post, 'Finally, someone who should be breeding!"
Czarina

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone! And thanks for thinking I should breed, Czarina. Given I'm celebrating my last week before TTC with far too much alcohol and poor food choices I'm starting to wonder if I'm really a good example of a sensible human being who would be good for the gene pool!

Nothing to report on the weight loss front. I'm at 72kg at the moment, but as it's TToTM and I am drinking my body-weight in wine this week I'm actually surprised I haven't gained five kilos!

I hope everyone is having a good week. :D
EvilWombatQueen

Postby me11 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:45 pm

NOthing wrong with enjoying some good food or wine from time to time. I personally think that it is impossible to stick to your diet 100% of the time forever. A little break from time to time is ok. You are doing well. :)
me11

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks, Me11.

I've stopped drinking 100% now, but that's just because I'm trying to conceive, not because of weight loss. I'm finding it much easier to give up things when the health of a potential embryo is involved! I've also switched to organic foods. This is one of the drawbacks of having a research background - my life is now dictated by the latest scientific paper on foetal health. Since there are links between ADHD and pesticide residue I thought it best to look into it all a bit more. The good news is that some fruit and veg are lower in pesticide residue, things like avocados, broccoli and sweet potato for instance. Sadly some of my favourite fruits - stone fruit, apples and strawberries - are high in pesticide residue. The local market has an organic shop. Things are considerably more expensive, but it's a good way to make sure you eat seasonally and use up all the vegetables you buy! And it's keeping my appetite in check. With the food being so expensive I'm finding that I question if I'm really that hungry every time I go to the kitchen!

I hope everyone is going really well.

Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:28 pm

I weighed myself this morning for the first time in months. 72.6kg, which means I've gained a kilo since I last weighed myself aeons ago. I'm not happy, but not too upset. I've put weight loss on the back-burner right now while I desperately try to finish my thesis. My eating over the last few weeks has been a bit problematic. I normally bring in left-overs to microwave, but a few of the doctoral students are observing Ramadan and I think it would be very cruel to fill the research room with food smells when they are fasting during daylight hours. So I've been bringing in sandwiches instead. At first they were salad sandwiches, but now it's peanut butter sandwiches because it's not so easy to get organic salad mix every other day. As organic products are so expensive I don't yet have a cupboard full of options, so I'm stuck having bread a lot where I would have previously had things lower in calories and not as carb-laden. Hopefully I'll get used to this soon so I can find affordable lower calorie food. I'd thought that switching to organic foods would help with weight loss. I'll be very disappointed if I keep gaining!

But still, only gaining a kilo after a few months not really watching what I've been eating, not doing extra exercise and drinking ridiculous amounts of alcohol (I had to get all my drinking in well before trying to conceive!) isn't too much of a blow. It only becomes problematic if I keep gaining!

I think next time I go to the markets I'll brave the $7.50 per kilo organic apples. They're pricey compared to conventionally farmed apples but it'll cheaper than buying a loaf of organic bread every day!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:44 pm

72.3 kg today. I'm thinking that this extra kilo may be largely water weight because I know I didn't magically lose 300g of weight overnight!

I've found out that kiwi fruit are low in pesticide residue because the skin protects the edible flesh inside. Yay! They're quite cheap right now, so I think I may buy some over the weekend. I've missed fruit. I bought some organic bananas during the week, but they turned brown the next day. I'm planning on making vegan banana cake with them. Not entirely diet-friendly, but probably better than other types of cake.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Sanov22 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:50 am

Hi EWQ! Congrats on your weight loss so far. What are you studying & how's the thesis coming? I'm new here, just finished writing an honours thesis last semester myself & will do a PhD at some stage in the future I think. Make sure you don't lose those hard earned results, - keep that weight off! I lost about 5kgs this time last year but then let myself go when my life started revolving around finishing the thesis... much regretted afterwards! And in hindsight continuing to exercise & eating healthy would have made my head clearer & made the thesis easier to write I think... It doesn't feel like it at the time but an hour a day is definitely worth taking out of thesis time to work out.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzWjG1y/]
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:37 am

Welcome to the forum, Sanov! I'm doing my PhD in the area of Design Research and my thesis is on virtual heritage, which means taking cultural heritage sites and objects and putting them into 3D on computer. I've managed to pretty much maintain my weight over my PhD, give or take a kilo. I lost most of the weight in my ticker the year before I started my PhD. I think the stress causes me to hold on to a lot of weight, and with the thesis as my top priority healthy eating and exercise come second. I'm not too fussed about that, to be honest. There will be plenty of time to focus on my weight once the PhD is out of the way! I'm eating a huge amount of healthy food (to be honest, that's my biggest problem, that it's huge amounts!) and I walk everywhere, usually between 40 and 80 minutes per day. I used to run every second day on top of that, but my plantar fasciitis killed that habit and once the workload piled up for writing up my thesis there really was no time for it any more. :(

What did you do your honours degree in? And what area do you plan on doing your PhD in? I'm at the hell-write-up stage at the tail end of my thesis so I'm probably not the best person to encourage anyone to do a PhD right now! Talk to me after I submit and I'm sure I'll be telling everyone that it's an amazing experience and incredibly rewarding. :lol:

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Sanov22 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:51 pm

Sounds like you've got it under control - walking and good food (even too much of it) will keep you healthy if not losing weight. What I was talking about (what I did :( ) was becoming sedentry and eating too much BAD food. I did my honours year in maths, loved it (I'm a big nerd at heart). I think I'll probably do a masters by coursework before I pick a topic and settle into a phd. Taking a little time off first to work/get some money and travel first though.

Tail end of thesis writing is awful... So many late nights and early mornings behind the computer... Type, type, type... Ooooh I don't miss that part of my degree at all! And mine was only an honours thesis, can't imagine the stress from writing a phd one! Hang in there, it'll be done soon enough and then you'll be DOCTOR evilwombatqueen :D

Good luck with TTC! How exciting!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzWjG1y/]
[/url]
Sanov22

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress