It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:05 am

Free Newsletter

EvilWombatQueen's progress

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:55 pm

I ran for 35 minutes last night, plus well over an hour of walking during the day.

Today I walked an insane amount. Over 2 hours and 40 minutes so far, and I still have to walk for 40 minutes to do tonight's shopping and get home from uni! I'm planning on doing about half an hour on my elliptical trainer, 50 sit-ups and 15 minutes of hand-weights. I need to get all my exercise out of the way before it hits 40 degrees tomorrow!

I'll be doing lots of cooking tonight. Often when it's really hot I'll fall off the diet wagon because I just don't want to cook healthy food and I get sick of salads really quickly. So I'm planning on cooking several day's worth of meals tonight that can be easily heated up in the microwave on hot days.

I'm considering buying a soy protein powder from the health food shop. I've really wanted to give meal replacement shakes a go because they sound really convenient when you're busy and a great way to lose weight. The problem is that most, if not all, contain dairy and I follow a vegan diet. From what I can tell the meal replacement shakes are just high protein, low calorie, low fat shake powders - which sounds the same as soy protein. I'll go to the health food shop tomorrow and have a chat to them. They may be able to recommend something.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:23 pm

I've figured out a way to exercise in the heat!:D

It was 40 degrees yesterday and I was in my usual slump about not being able to do any exercise. Then I thought I'd give it a try anyway. So I put some light exercise gear on and then jumped under the shower to lightly wet myself. I turned the upright fan to point at my elliptical trainer and I got to it. It was really very tolerable! I did it while watching TV (Jamie Oliver - love his cooking shows!) and every ad break I'd drink more water and jump back under the shower briefly to get wet again. I kept it up for the entire show, which added up to 35 minutes on the elliptical trainer not counting the ad breaks! WOO-BLOODY-HOO! This is doubly brilliant while wearing moisture-wicking fabrics because you keep cool but you don't feel soggy.

I'm absolutely stoked! No more making excuses because of the heat. :D

I was good and didn't drink any alcohol last night. I wasn't even tempted, which is really unusual for me (I love my wine in the evening) and doubly so considering how hot it was.

And the update on the vegan meal replacement shakes: no update as yet, sadly. My finances are utterly dire after having to buy a new power supply for my computer so I'll have to wait until next week to shop for them.

I was naughty and jumped on the scales last night. I don't know what the hell I was expecting. It's hot and I knew I would have retained water, plus it wasn't the usual time I'd weigh myself. And I swore I wouldn't weigh myself until the end of January! Why do I do this to myself? On the upside I can see my body getting a bit more toned. My upper arms are looking much better and I can actually see some shape to my knees! As they've always been my problem areas I'm pretty happy about the changes. I should be focusing on how my body is changing rather than the scales, but I'm utterly fixated on kilos rather than appearance. I think I need to hide the scales for the next few weeks to avoid the temptation!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby milkyway » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:20 pm

We sound like we're in the same headspace EWQ, but luckily for me, my scales are broken. I'm just going to use my stomach as my measuring stick. If I lie down it's flat, when I stand up, its got a decent bump, when I sit on the loo, it doesn't touch my thighs anymore :lol:

Good luck this week.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:14 pm

I'm giving myself a royal kick up the arse this week. Most days up until now I've been doing the bare minimum of what I need to lose weight - trying to stay within the calorie limits set by Calorie King (sometimes even achieving it) and doing what I thought was an okay amount of exercise.

No more. I need to get myself into shape and I'm the only one who can do it! I'm no longer counting the walk to and from uni as exercise. It simply doesn't work up enough sweat. Now I'm demanding myself to do an hour extra per night. And I have to stay within my calorie limits. No ifs or buts. I'm sick of being at a plateau and I'm going to have to get tough with myself to get it all happening again.

Today I kept within my calorie limits. I even tried a new recipe which tasted so good I forgot I was on a diet!*

I did 15 minutes of hand-weights, 50 sit-ups, 10 tricep dips, 30 minutes of aerobic step work and 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer.

Damnit I need to lose this weight!

* The recipe that made me forget I was on a diet
Sweet potato and kidney bean tacos.
Ingredients:
3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 2cm cubes
1 440g tin of kidney beans
1 bunch of coriander, chopped
Mexican spices
Garlic
1/2 red onion, diced
A little olive oil
Taco shells

Boil the sweet potatoes until soft. Drain and set aside. In the same saucepan saute the red onion and garlic in a little olive oil. When they are soft add the chopped coriander and Mexican spices and cook for another minute. Add the cooked sweet potatoes and mash. Add the kidney beans and mix through. Stuff into tacos and eat. Yum yum.

Serves: lots. Easily enough for four people IMO.

This recipe is a modified version of a recipe I found somewhere online. Unfortunately for the life of me I can't remember where I found it!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:28 pm

So far so good!

I ran for 35 minutes tonight (even though my stupid shoe gave me stupid blisters half way through the stupid run again :x ) Plus 40 minutes brisk walking to and from Albert Park Lake. I've done my 50 sit-ups and I'm about to do 20 minutes of hand-weights plus 20 push-ups and 20 tricep dips.

I received my latest Ebay 'winning' in the mail - an Omron pedometer! Trust me to get one just as I stop counting everyday walking as part of my weight-loss program!

And today I got my first compliment on my weight loss! Another postgrad student asked me if I'd been dieting over the holidays because I looked like I'd lost quite a bit of weight. I'm still grinning about that!

I'm well under my calorie limit today too. Things are going well!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby ***absolute_zero*** » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:59 pm

Well done your doing so well :)
~~~Hugs Tam~~~

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzOso3A/]
[/url]

***absolute_zero***

Postby milkyway » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:04 am

You are doing very well indeed! Keep it up :)

Do you have a specific running goal in mind?
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Mandie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:27 am

way to go EWQ!!!
Mandie

Postby Sas » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:02 am

Awesome work chickie! :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:18 pm

Thanks for the great support, everyone!

I have several running goals, San. Currently it's just to run regularly. Given my history with plantar fasciitis this is a pretty big goal to achieve. I had a slight twinge in my left foot today so I'm going to use the elliptical trainer and my aerobics step tonight instead of jogging so hopefully my feet will be okay for tomorrow. I don't know if it's the PF but I'm not taking any chances! So if I can start running 5km every second day I'll be happy for the next couple of months.

After that I'd like to increase my running, either by running 5km every day or by running 10km every second day.

By the end of the year I really want to do a Fun Run. And eventually I'd love to run a marathon. But my feet will have to be super-special-better by then!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby GoddessInside » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:14 pm

Queen I envy you ! Wow I'd love to run 1km and here you are doing 5kms with PF ! You Rock :D

Keep up the great work ! You're nearly at goal !!!!
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby milkyway » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:31 pm

Don't wait until the end of the year to do a fun run - believe me, you're ready now! And it's such great fun - the atmosphere is really good and pushes you far past what you think you're capable of doing. I did the big fun runs last year - Run for the Kids (I did the 15km) , Mothers Day Classic (I did the 4km), The Age Run to the G (I did the 5km, I think) and the Melbourne Marathon (10km). All of these races have various options. I'm doing a fun run in Coburg this Sunday with a 6km/12km option and again on 3rd Feb at Princes Park in Carlton - 5 or 10km options.

Doing your first one is a bit daunting, but once you realise that there are people of all shapes, sizes and speed, and once you know you can do it, it doesn't seem so overwhelming. And the showbags you get at the big ones are usually OK too ;)

Here's a link to a list of upcoming events in Vic:
http://www.coolrunning.com.au/calendar/ ... getCal=VIC
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Yogi-Bear » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:37 pm

Word Goddess Inside-EWQ does rock!!

You seem very intense about losing those kg's, way to go...
[/img][/url]Image
Yogi-Bear

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:59 pm

Wow, thanks again for all the support everyone!

And thanks so much for those links, San. You know I will look into doing a Fun Run soon. Probably in February or March. It would be such a boost to my confidence and there seem to be a few of them doing it for worthy charities. I like the idea of showbags too. I'd do anything for a showbag! Good luck this Sunday! You'll have to tell us how you went afterwards!

Helen, I'm sure you'll be running before you know it! I could barely manage 30 seconds of running when I started, and I was convinced my PF would never clear up enough for me to do 5km. If I can do it I know you can definitely do it!

Thanks, Yogi. I am absolutely driven this week which is a far cry from how lethargic I felt last week. I figure if I take advantage of my obsessive stages hopefully the momentum will carry through into my lazy periods making them not quite so lazy!

I just want to thank everyone again for being so supportive. I swear this forum has focussed me on my health like I never have before. Thanks!!! :D

Another update: I managed to get some soy protein powder today. I thought I'd try it out this afternoon. Big mistake! It worked far better than I expected as a meal replacement, I wasn't hungry until 9pm! Not bad for me, but my poor fiance nearly missed out on dinner because I forgot to cook.

Tonight I did my new step DVD which was 60 sweaty frustrating minutes of unhelpful camera shots (if I can't see the instructor's legs how am I supposed to follow her?) and no warning between step changes. But at least it was 60 minutes of intense exercise so I fulfilled my daily goal!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:07 pm

Had a protein drink for lunch. I really need to find a way to fix the texture of it. Whether I add the soy milk first or last it always ends up sludgey and lumpy which is vile. Tomorrow I'm going to try adding a little hot water to dissolve the powder first before adding the soy milk. Hey, it works for coffee so I'm hoping it'll work for soy protein powder! Does anyone who uses meal replacement powder have any tips? A blender is out of the question because I have the meal replacement while at uni.

I forgot to bring fruit to uni for my afternoon snack because I put too much faith in the soy powder to keep me full until 6pm so I'm starving right now. I'm going to have some rice crackers and hommus when I get home and then go for my run. Must remember fruit from now on!

I've found a new incentive to lose weight: sisterly competitiveness! My sister and I have always been at the opposite ends of the weight spectrum. Any time I've been thin she's been overweight and vice versa. While I've been losing weight over the last year she's been gaining it, but now she's seen how close I am to my (initial) goal weight she's decided she's going to lose weight too! According to her last email by eating better and walking more she's already lost 3kg. I'm going to have to work hard to stay ahead of her! :wink:

Sibling competitiveness aside I think it's great that she's decided to get healthy. She's absolutely gorgeous when she's at a healthy weight and she's always so much happier then. It'll be nice for all the girls in the family to be thin, healthy and terrific all at once! My mum has already got down to her goal weight using the low GI diet, my cousin is at a healthy weight thanks to the Paul McKenna hypnosis CD so that just leaves my sister and me!
EvilWombatQueen

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress