It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:23 am

Free Newsletter

Beetle's healthy eating journal

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Beetle's healthy eating journal

Postby Beetle » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:54 pm

Hmmm, well, not quite sure where I should start. I'm 23 and I'm a rower, over the past few months, I've managed to gain a couple of kilos and have decided to do something about it before those scales continue to climb.... I am currently about 67kg, 13.3% body fat and 174cm tall. Exercise isn't my problem, I do plenty of that, in fact, it's almost all I do, I train for up to 6hrs a day :lol: However, my eating patterns are a bit random, far too much chocolate and a lot of late night snacking and I'd like to improve them and hopefully drop down to about 62kg. I think my biggest problem is fueling my body properly for the training i'm doing without overeating, I am just so hungry after my morning training session that I could eat a horse!!!
Sorry about the long post!!!
Beetle
Beetle

Postby shelbel » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:14 am

Hey Beetle, Well done for hitting it before those kgs start to creep on more....if only i had done this too :roll:

Good luck on your journey and sing out if you have any questions. :D
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:49 pm

Good luck Beetle! Like Shelbel I wish I'd tackled my creeping weight earlier on.

How are you planning on tackling your late night snacking? And what sort of stuff are you eating after training at the moment?
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Beetle » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:11 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:Good luck Beetle! Like Shelbel I wish I'd tackled my creeping weight earlier on.

How are you planning on tackling your late night snacking? And what sort of stuff are you eating after training at the moment?

I think my biggest problem regarding late night snacking is being bored late at night, I use eating as something to do, and try and justify it with the amount of exercise I've done for the day. I am currently trying to get back into a routine I had a couple of years ago which worked well for me, it involved getting up for training at 4.45am and having a nap for no more than 1.5hrs during the day, this usually means that I'm tired enough to get to sleep by about 9pm, hence not much time for snacking since I don't get home from the gym til 7. At the moment I"ve managed to get into a pattern of staying up late and then sleeping most of the day between my morning and evening trainings which leaves me wide awake at night.

I am usually pretty good with my eating after training, fruit straight away and then something more substantial when I get home, such as a protein shake or eggs or breakfast cereal. My problem is that I usually crave something sweet straight after a meal, such as chocolate or ice cream and more often than not I give into the craving. The craving usually goes away if I just ignore it for an hour or so, but too often I give in!!
Beetle

Postby milkyway » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:47 pm

Hiya Beetle - sounds like you've got a really good approach and attitude towards your weightloss and I'm sure you'll do really well :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Beetle » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Today is the only day of the week we have out of the boat, but we do cross training instead. I did a bike ride early this morning up to Norton Summit (a massive winding road in Adelaide, it's a total of almost 8km at a fairly steep incline) and it's 25km from my house, so that's a total of 66km cycling. I then went for a 10km run just before lunch, 54mins total, so that's now my time to beat, and just now I just got home from swimming laps, slow pace as active recovery, did 2km in about 40mins.
My eating has been really good today, I've eaten a lot, but it's all been healthy food and I've stayed away from the chocolate!
Reading everyone's progress on this forum has really helped and made me realise that it's going to take time and effort, but will be worth it in the end. :D
Beetle

Postby Beetle » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:28 pm

Well, it's been over 2 days since I've eaten any chocolate, ice cream or other junkfood and I must say I'm feeling heaps better. More alert, less tired and just generally more lively.
Now I just need to continue on this path and each time those cravings come along, I'm going to remind myself how bad that kind of food makes me feel. :lol:
Beetle

Re: Beetle's healthy eating journal

Postby Beetle » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:52 pm

Well, I'm back. I fell of the wagon for a little while, been a bit down and depressed, but realisation kind of just hit me today. I need to lose some of this weight to be happy in myself. I am currently hovering around the 67kg mark and am really not happy with my body. I am going to am for small steps, starting with cutting down portion sizes and allowing myself small, controlled treats so that I don't binge.
Wish me luck. :-)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woR3SP2/]
[/url]
Beetle

Postby milkyway » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:10 pm

Good luck Beetle. Sounds like you've got a good plan in place.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:28 pm

Good luck Beetle. As someone who also struggles with portion sizes I know where you're coming from! Watching your portion sizes can make a huge difference to your diet. I hope it pays off for you!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Beetle » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:14 pm

Thanks Milkyway, hopefully it is a plan I can stick to.
EWQ, I think portion sizes are by far my biggest downfall, because I am training so much at the moment, I tend to be very hungry when I get home and just eat without giving my stomach time to realise it is full, I tend to burn 1500-3000 calories a day just through training, so I can eat quite a bit but lately I"ve been letting myself get a little too full :oops:
[/url]
Beetle

Postby Beetle » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:46 am

Well, my eating has been pretty average the last couple of days. I'm finding it really hard to stay away from the chocolate. I still live at home, so it's always in the fridge and mum won't not buy it just cos I don't want it.... That's the hardest thing for me, if there's junkfood in the house, which there almost always is, then I feel compelled to eat it. I think I might have to start planning it into my daily food diary so that I don't feel like i'm missing out.
I'm also finding it quite hard to keep my protein intake up. I had skinfolds and bodyfat testing done at my gym yesterday, and I've actually lost muscle!!! I find this a little hard to comprehend because my rowing training schedule includes weight training 3x a week, 6 mornings of rowing 12-18km, cycling 40-60km a day, ergo training 3x a week and about 30km of running. How can I be losing muscle? I think I need to reintroduce protein shakes. :shock:
[/url]
Beetle

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:15 pm

Protein shakes are great (except that they taste totally pants of course... or the vegan ones do at least). I find I have to have them to keep up my protein, as the tofu and beans really don't cut it now that I've started trying to build muscle at the gym. You may find protein shakes will help you in overeating after the gym as well. If you have a protein shake instead of food then it will fill you up and because it takes time to drink you'll have a chance to feel satisfied before you go off in search of more food. Obviously you'd want some carbs too, but you wouldn't have to eat as much to get that same feeling of satisfaction.

It's a bummer you can't eliminate chocolate from the house. That would be the best option. However there are other methods for keeping the cravings at bay. One way is to remind yourself that chocolate has always been there and it will always be there. You don't have to eat that chocolate right away. Often if you give yourself a half hour time limit before you're allowed to eat any chocolate the craving is gone or you are completely distracted by the time that half hour is up. Another way is to tell yourself you can have all the chocolate you like tomorrow provided you don't eat any today. Then see if you can go another day without chocolate. It's no great deprivation since, as I said before, chocolate has always been there and will always be there regardless of whether you eat it or not.

Or you could set yourself a 'chocolate time'. Say at 7pm just after dinner you can have one piece of chocolate. If you get your mum to get some dark chocolate especially for you you'll find that it's not as more-ish as milk chocolate. It's far stronger in flavour so you can savour it rather than wolfing it down. And you'll find that it's so rich you won't want more after having a small amount.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Beetle » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:17 pm

Thanks for the advice EWQ. I like the idea of setting a certain time of the day for chocolate, or delaying it until 'tomorrow'. I'll have to try that and see how I go. I think it's also worse because I'm home quite a bit at the moment with uni holidays and everything and tend to just pick at things out of boredom.
I have had protein shakes before and actually found that i quite like the pro lean ones by gen-tec. I stopped drinking them when I tried to cut weight to make a lower weight class at rowing but ended up sacrificing a lot of muscle and strength. I'll have to add it to my shopping list.
[/url]
Beetle

Postby Beetle » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:40 am

Okay, well realisation just hit me today. I keep telling myself that I want to lose weight, but I then continually sabotage myself by saying that one little bit won't hurt.... Well, it all adds up and it is finally time for me to get serious about this whole weightloss thing. I am going to Melbourne in July, so am setting myself a goal of 60kg by then. That means that I need to lose about 400g per week. This is totally achievable, I just need to believe in myself, follow the process and the outcome will follow. I just need to stop making excuses for myself!!!
[/url]
Beetle

Next

Return to Personal Progress