It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:55 pm

Free Newsletter

Tam's journey

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: Tam's journey

Postby Czarina » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:16 pm

The whole weight loss thing is hard, but we all know it has to be done if we want to live a long and healthy life.

I would be feeling pretty down if I was drinking artificial shakes instead of eating real food, too. You don't need to deprive yourself! Calorie King has shown me that you can eat lots of food and lose weight, no starvation necessary! It has also helped me stop obsessing so much. I know if I stick to my calories, I will lose weight - it takes the stress out of it all. 8) I don't have to worry if I am eating too much, or not enough ( and yes, there is such a thing!). It has changed my entire outlook when it comes to food and 'dieting'.
Czarina

Postby rubyfox » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:28 pm

Hi Tam
I've just been reading through some of your posts and you have done such an amazing job already, just take it one day, even one minute at a time. You are sooooo not alone with the things you've been thinking and feeling, I think we all experience pretty much the same things at times. I know that my own head could be the end of me if I let it! I often think how wonderful it would be to not have to worry about what I eat every day, or what I do or don't do, but it is a seemingly never-ending battle. I look at people I know who just get on with their lives without having to worry about these things and my jealousy rages - it isn't fair but I guess it's just what I have to deal with. Maybe other people have other hard stuff going on that we don't know about. And about the weighing thing, I used to be a weekly "weigher" but found that it would get me down too much. I got an eating and exercicse plan done for me by a Dietitian and personal trainer online and they said that you should either weigh yourself every day or once a month, but not once a week. The idea is that you weigh yourself every day and write it down, then at the end of the week you find the average of the weekly weights and compare that with the previous week's average (does that make sense?) and use that to monitor your progress. It accounts for the daily fluctuations due to hormones etc. I've been doing that and it works for me, it makes me freak out less if my weight goes up from one day to the next cos I know it's normal and will always happen (I can fluctuate up to 2kg from one day to the next!). If you're a daily "weigher" anyway, it might help you to look at it that way. And I agree with Czarina, I don't think shakes are the best way to go, eating is one of life's pleasures and losing that is a huge deprivation- the trick is to learn how to enjoy food properly. I eat heaps on my eating plan and am losing weight every week, but I guess everyone has to do what works for them. The big thing is though, you're not alone, you're not crazy and you're not wasting your time. Hang in there!
Ruby
rubyfox

Postby big_love » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:05 am

Firsty, I want to thank you guys for your support. It really does help! I've done this before, so I know I can do it again, I am just trying to get in a better frame of mind about it.

Secondly, I hear your concerns about the shakes....and I agree, it's no way to live your life...as I stated in a previous post, I use them for the first couple of weeks to kick start. I don't have the time to go on calorieking every day and log what im eating. I'm trying to devise a menu plan or something, but it is really hard when I have no idea what I should be eating! I'm working on that.

I also have a pedometer that I can plug into my DS, with a health coach system containing food and exercise challenges, tips, coaching sessions and quizs which I think is going to help in learning more about food.

And about the daily weighing...doesn't seem to be something I can kick, so im thinking I might take Ruby's advice and go for the weekly average.

It's nice to know Im not alone, and I love you all for your comments and support. I know I have to do this, and I will...It's just a matter of taking that first giant leap.

Tam xxx
140/117/85
big_love

Postby GoddessInside » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:58 am

You need help taking that giant leap ? I'll fix that ....

*G I A N T PUSH !*
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby GoddessInside » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:58 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby big_love » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:18 pm

Trust you to be the one to push me!!! :mrgreen:

I am putting my depression last week down to TTOM as I am feeling so fantastic today its not funny! My lovely HTB worked out with me today, and Is in training for Footy so we are really supporting each other which is awesome. We set up a circuit in our house which had 10 stations. Everything from squats, lunges, crunches and push ups to exercise bike and skipping. It was really tough, and I almost puked and was in so much pain- but it was totally fantastic! I feel so much better about myself and It was so nice to spend the time with Chris too! We've decided it's now our twice weekly ritual, so with him doing it, I feel like it's something I can stick with. I'm coming off the shakes slowly, and trying to get lots of fruit and vegetables in my diet - still having a struggle trying to figure out what to eat, but I think I'll get there! Not weighing in either as it just depresses me, and Im feeling too positive for that! Things are looking up, and Im starting to like ME a little bit.

Hope you all have a fantastic week!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tam xxx
140/117/85
big_love

Postby ali76 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:49 am

YAH!! So happy to hear the real you back!!

Such a good idea about the circuit - I might need to suggest that to my ever expanding hubby :lol:

Keep going sweetie!!

xoxox
ali76

Postby big_love » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:48 pm

thanks Ali, so nice to have your support. Yep, starting to feel a little bit like the old me again.
Really sore still today, especially my abs and quads....shows what a good circuit we did!
Started using my pedometer today and clocked up 6900 steps, which I was ok with, but really wanna try and get closer to 10,000, which is the challenge for this week.
Updates to come :mrgreen:
140/117/85
big_love

Postby ali76 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:56 am

What do you do for work Tam? Is 10000 steps hard to achieve? I work in an office and unless I played netball couldn't imagine doing that many steps!!

LOVING your circuit!! How's C feeling about it....is he hurting?! :twisted:

Good to have YOU back hun!

xoxox
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby Czarina » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:03 am

Nice going on the workout. :D

And good stuff upping the fruit and vegetables and moving away from the shakes! If you want some ideas for what to eat I'm sure all of us will be happy to help. :D
Czarina

Postby big_love » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:40 pm

Hey Ali, im a graphic designer working at a commercial printers/newspaper....basically, im on my ass all day, so yeah, even 6,000 steps is hard to achieve. I've been trying to get just little bits in where i can though and it seems to be working...so far today am at 7,500, but it's gonna be a hard slog hitting that 10,000 i think...not as easy as i had imagined!! Waiting for Chris to get home to do the circuit...he is also hitting the gym in the town where he works, so hes hurting pretty bad hahaha...its so good to have him on board though.

and any tips on what I should be eating would be much appreciated!! Im always up for new ideas...I have a habit of buying things I know are good, but have no idea of how to prepare or eat them...i mean who could forget the flax seed episode :lol: :roll: :oops:

Thanks for your comments girls...always makes my day to know someone cares enough to write!

xxx
140/117/85
big_love

Postby Czarina » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:11 am

Well, for a start, here's a soup recipe that EWQ and I love:
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/8869/me ... sicum+soup

Easy, delicious and low in calories! I find 1/3 of the batch is great for Dinner. :D

If there are any foods in particular that you are not sure about, just ask the forum! 8)
Czarina

Postby tania2573 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:06 am

Hey Tam
Sorry havent been around for so long, been having a few issues.Just read back through your posts.Just know that any time you need to let anything out, do it, it doesnt matter if its in here noone will care.
I know everyone will just try and help you as best we can. You will be fine and will get there just stay positive.
And know that you have so much support here and so many that care about you and what you go through,after all most of us have been there at some stage and know exactly where your coming from. Hugssssssssssssss and chin up. xxx
S.W 163.1 start date 19/2/2008
G.W 85
tania2573

Postby big_love » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:10 pm

Thanks for the recipe czarina, it looks really nice. might try it once it's not so hot!
Hey Tan, sorry to hear you've been having some issues and hope everything is ok.

This week has been really up and down! A proud moment was going out for lunch with work, and while everyone was having schnitzels and kievs and all things deep fried, I had the grilled fish with a salad, tiny spoonful of pasta and about 5 chips. It was really nice actually, and didn't feel like I was missing out on anything anyway.

Did the circuit the other night, but passed out when i was stretching...Chris thinks i'm not eating enough, but I think maybe my heart rate was at the max, and I just couldn't get enough oxygen in...anyway, other than a sore elbow, i'm fully recovered from that and planning on doing another circuit this afternoon...might try and take it a little easier though.

Things are going ok, other than looking back at previous posts, pics and diary entries from when i was at my lowest weight and feeling depressed...i'm trying to turn that into a "I've done it before, I can do it again" though and just remembering slow and steady, nothings going to happen overnight.

Anyway, off to kill myself and get massive guns, so I'll talk to you all again soon!

Tam xxx
140/117/85
big_love

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Great to see you here again, Tam! I've been wandering in and out recently so I'm sorry I haven't caught up with your thread until now.

The soup recipe Czarina posted is incredibly yum. If you're looking for something to make when it's too hot for cooking soup there's always gazpacho (a chilled soup that requires no cooking) or rice paper rolls. I love making rice paper rolls when it's too hot to put the stove on. I use a bit of rice vermicelli, but most of the filling is sliced veggies and bean shoots. The only potential fattening thing about them is the sauce you choose to use. You could use a combination of sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce and lime juice to cut down on fat. Or just use a low-cal salad dressing.

Here's how I make them:
Ingredients
rice paper (can be bought at most supermarkets)
Filling:
rice vermicelli
bean shoots
spring onions (green onions in some states, or eschallots), sliced finely
carrot, sliced
cucumber, sliced
capsicum, red and green, sliced
tofu, marinated and sliced
You can also add a small amount of coriander, thai basil or vietnamese mint. If you can't find them, or don't like them, they're not vital.
Dressing:
You can use satay, though it's high in fat. Or mix some soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce and lime juice. A low sodium, low fat option might be to use low-fat salad dressing, but I've never tried it so I can't tell you what it would taste like.

Instructions
Put the rice vermicelli in a bowl and cover in boiling water. Leave for five minutes to soften.
Fill a dinner plate with cold to luke-warm water and place a couple of pieces of rice paper in soften (make sure you separate the rice paper and put some water between them or they may stick).
When the rice paper is soft put a piece on a chopping board. Place a small amount of filling inside, like you would with a spring roll, tuck in the sides and roll into a cigar shape. Place on a clean, dry tea towel or kitchen paper to drain. You can either serve them with the dressing as a dipping sauce, or add the dressing while you're making it so the dressing is inside the rice paper roll with the other ingredients (it's a bit less messy to eat this way!)

There are heaps of rice paper roll recipes on the web. Just Google them to see what strikes your fancy.
EvilWombatQueen

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress