It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:02 am

Free Newsletter

Carlos' journey

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Carlos' journey

Postby Carlos » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:42 pm

Hey, Carlos here.. I have basically been HUGE since I was about 11-12. I was always a reasonably skinny boy and then all of a sudden I just started eating all this crap like a whole loaf of bread in a day on top of other stuff because I couldn't be stuffed making something nice (and healthy to eat). When I was 15 my weight got out to 125 Kg and it's basically stayed at that ever since (I am 20 years old now), I used to eat lollies all the time, always had 2nds (when available) at the dinner table, I would always eat huge amounts of junk cerial for breakfast and I'd be at the computer or xbox for about 5 hours per day. I did play alot of sport, by alot.. I mean heaps, but it was always cancelled out by my huge amounts of eating. After years of being teased by people for my weight (especially from friends or family who just felt they were joking, that hurt the most), and feeling embarrassed when going out to a party or a pub, or even just not going out at all because I'm ashamed of my weight. I was even (and this is my biggest regret of all) wagging school heaps because I'd look at myself in the mirror in the morning and just say "nahp, I can't go out like this". Pathetic.

Anyway, as of January 1st 2008, I have decided to FINALLY do something about it, and I will not fail.

I have tried to lose weight before, but after sticking to a diet for only 2 weeks and seeing not much improvement I'd get all depressed and the cycle would just continue, on and on. This time, I'm sticking to it, not giving up.. and am giving it my best. My goal right now is to get to 95 Kilograms, after that I will make new goals. This is what I have been doing to lose the weight I have so far.

Breakfast: A glass of water (so I don't feel hungry afterwards) and a small bowl of muesli with fruit in it (probably no more than 10 tablespoons full) and with no sugar.

Lunch: I usually have a couple of Nectarines and a sandwitch with cheese, tomatoe, salami and what ever. Sometimes I'll just have fruit. When I'm at work I'll just have a couple of sandwitches and an apple (sometimes I get nandos!) and then water ofcourse so I'm not too hungry afterwards.

Dinner: Whatever is dished up, usually spaghetti bolognese or some kind of stir fry.. I probably eat half of what I used to eat for dinner these days.

And I think one of the main things that caused me to put on all of that weight was having midnight snacks (or should I say meals :roll: censored I'm an idiot). I used to have something like 3 toasted sandwitches at times with a crapload of cheese. Left over pizza for breakfast, McDonalds for lunch. Never again.

What I'm doing feels like no choire, I feel better and the healthy stuff is actually more appealing to me now then the fatty stuff. For example, offer me a nectarine or a chicken sandwitch, I will take the nectarine every time now. After almost 2 months of eating healthier, I have lost almost 7 KG and I'm feeling great at the moment. A couple of weeks ago I had a bag or starburst lollies, and I felt like CRAP for 3 days. I can't believe I used to have atleast 3 packs of those a week. Infact I reckon I've had more apples in the last 2 months than I have in my WHOLE life, and that is the truth.

The thing is, I'm not even trying really hard right now.. all I've really done is change what I eat and I'm reaping the benefits. I'm not excersizing much at the moment, but this is something that's going to have to change if I want to reach my goal. And I will.

At the moment I'm just going for 10-15 minute jogs every 2 nights, playing about an hour of ping pong every night with friends, doing 15 pushups (worked my way up from 5!! :p and the real pushups too, not the girly one where you do it on your knees hehe) Could probably do 20 but my eyes feel like they are about to pop out of my head when I get to about 13! My job is also very physical, I'm constantly working in the heat and going up and down stairs all day plus lugging 50 KG machines up these stairs! :( I also have weights in my garage, I do bench press and bicep curls at the moment. I also have a boxing bag but I don't use it much because I don't know what kind of excersizes I should do with it, or what it even does for me.

I also play basketball for a team.

If any of you guys could give me some more excersizes to do or give me even healthier eating options, I would be forever grateful. Crunches, more pushups, whatever.. I'll eat dog censored if it meant I could lose more. I'm down for anything (just about!), I just want to lose the weight.

I'll keep my stats stuff down here so I can track my progress.

My heaviest point (that I know of) 3 years ago: 132 KG.
My weight when I finally decided to do something about it (January 1st): 129 KG
My weight right now: 122.8 KG

I haven't lost anywhere near what I want to lose yet, but people have been telling me I'm looking trimmer already (and these are people I haven't even told about my quest to lose weight). So things are looking good for me at the moment.
http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13874&p=145759#p145759

Start: 135kg
Current: 85kg
Goal: 75kg
Carlos

Re: Carlos' journey

Postby Carlos » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:45 pm

I'd also like to add, what made me decide to lose weight was looking back at a photo from my 18th birthday. I was bloody huge, manboobs, thunder thighs, the works. That's what has motivated to do this.

Carlos

Postby big_love » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:15 am

Hey Carlos, welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are off to a great start already and good on you for deciding to change your life. Congrats on your loss already! I think exercise wise you have made a good start. Starting small and working your way up is the way to go. Goodluck with everything, and I look forward to seeing your progress.
140/117/85
big_love

Postby ali76 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:23 am

Hi Carlos!

Welcome to the forum and well done on changing to a healthier lifestyle!

Just a few things from reading your post -

1 - make sure you eat enough!! If you have a physical job, make sure you have a decent breakfast and lunch to keep you going. Perhaps have a look at the Calorie King website to see how many calories you should be eating....this was suggested to me when I started here and it's been a GOD SEND!!!

2 - It's great that you're drinking water! Make sure it's at least 2L a day - even more if you're working in the heat.

3 - exercise will really help you on your way to your goal AND make you feel so good about yourself and your body!

4 - make sure you're eating the right balance between carbs, protein and fat. Calorie King can help you with this too.

It sounds like you're in the right mind frame and really motivated - so you're right - you won't fail!!

Good luck Carlos, and make sure you keep us posted!!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby Tarz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:29 am

Hi Carlos, Good luck with the weightloss.

Ali has pretty much covered everything. Eating things high in protein and fibre will help with keeping you feeling full longer. And when ever your hungry have a glass of water first. As for excersise build it up slowly. Each day push yorself that little bit harder. With the punching bag just lay into it and work up a sweat. Boxing is a great cardioo excercise.

Good luck.
Tarz

Postby Tummygirl » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:52 am

Hey Carlos

Welcome to the forum :D *hugz*

Loads and loads of support around here and congrats on starting your journey to a healthier man. What might help you with your food intake is if you write it down in a note book or even on here, that way you know how your going with your food. You should be looking at eating 3 main meals and having 2 snacks throughout the day. Eating and loosing weight is not about eating like a rabbit but eating smaller meals more often. An example of my eating habits are like this
Breaky - 2 Slices toast or Fruit with yougurt
Morning Tea - 2 Rivita biscuits with vegi or something of that nature
Lunch - Salad with Tuna or I often take a small portion of what I had the night before like stirfy or Soup(something filling but not to big a serve)
Arvo Tea - Apple or some kind of fruit
Dinner - Most of the time Meat and veg, stirfry, pasta with tomato base not a creamy base

I also try to get in at least 2 ltrs of water a day this will help you alot....drinking water helps you feel full and not hungry during the day. Alot of people dont like drinking water because no taste, so if you think you def need taste you could try adding a little lemon juice or lime to ad flavor.

You will find that if you cut out take away foods for a good period of time that you wont want it after a while because the food your eating that is healthy is so much better.

Hope I was a little help.

Cassie
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:26 am

Hi Carlos, welcome to the forum! Others have already posted some great advice for your diet and exercise so I won't add to that. You asked what you could do with a boxing bag, though. Have you done boxing before? If not then it might pay to look at these sites for basic boxing moves:

Boxing basics: http://www.theonetwopunch.com/tips.htm

Boxing moves: http://www.talkboxing.co.uk/guides/boxing_moves.html

There are also instructional videos and DVDs out there. You may be able to find one at your local video library.

Once you know the basics then you need to put together a routine. What sort of a bag do you have? I assume it's a heavy bag (there are many types of bag though, so check first). Information about heavy bag routines can be found at the following sites:

What to do with a boxing bag: http://health.ninemsn.com.au/asktheexpe ... px?id=1849

Fitness benefits, injury prevention, and how to put together a routine: http://www.protectivestrategies.com/heavybag.html

Heavy bag routine: http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym18.htm

Good luck! I look forward to reading about your weight loss and fitness journey.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby kittykat84 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:07 pm

Everyone else has given you great advice so I just wanted to say welcome and good luck in your journey. You can do it and we will be here every day to support you in any way you need!!
kittykat84

Postby Carlos » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Thanks for the support guys!

EvilWombatQueen: Yeah, I have done boxing before.. I used to have a ring (well kind of a ring) set-up in my garage, and me and my friends would fight after school. I just didn't know hitting the bag would be so effective! Thanks for that.

Tummygirl: Yup, I have been eating much smaller meals.. For example, I used to be able to eat about 8 pieces of toast for breakfast and I wouldn't even be completely full. This morning, I had just 1.. And I couldn't eat any more.

"I also try to get in at least 2 ltrs of water a day this will help you alot."

What I do is (and I read this off another website) Have a glass when I wake up, one after breakfast, before lunch, after lunch... then one about an hour before dinner if you're feeling hungry (they said 80% of the time when you are feeling hungry, you are really just thirsty) ,before and after dinner + before you go to bed. So that's about 8 glasses.

So, yeah.. thanks for all the tips guys. I did join Calorie King too.

PS: Is it best to weigh myself on a daily basis or weekly?

Carlos

Postby Tummygirl » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:09 pm

Weigh yourself weekly :D
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Postby shokoden » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:17 pm

Hey Carlos I just wanted to say Congratulations on your achievements so far, you sound really motivated and positive and I look forward to seeing more of your progress. :D
shokoden

Postby ali76 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:24 pm

Yep - I'm with Cassie!

Try to weigh yourself on the same day every week - first thing in the morning (after you've been to the loo so you're at your lightest!!).

Good luck!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby Caramel Swirl » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:27 pm

Hi Carlos - Welcome to the forum! :D

I'm a newbie too and have found it great - there is so much support and helpful advice.

Congrats on your weight loss so far you are off to a great start!!

Keep up the good work and I look forward to hearing about your progress.

CS
Caramel Swirl

Postby Carlos » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:14 am

So I'll weight myself on Thursdays then... right after I've gone to the toilet! :D

This morning I was 122.2 so next week I hope to be about 120.5-ish!

Carlos

Postby Tummygirl » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:11 am

Good to see your all set for the week ahead. Just remember for some people they loose alot in the first week others dont. Your main conceren is to get into a routine of excersise and eating good.

Best of luck :D
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Next

Return to Personal Progress