It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:28 am

Free Newsletter

Carlos' journey

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: Carlos' journey

Postby JP1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:54 pm

Well done Carlos, just read your thread and a lot of similarities with my own ups and downs, I've lost just about 30 Kgs in the past a couple of time and now here goes major effort number 3, hope I can draw some inspiration from you and others hard work and crack it again in 2016..
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 110 Kg (12 Jan 2017)
Current :101.9 Kg (28 Feb 2018)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014) : 99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Target : 99.9 Kg by 1st Apr 2018
JP1

Postby Blitz » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:48 pm

It all can be done...and it all can be kept off too! :D
I'm approaching my 4th anniversary of keeping it off - so I know of what I write about! :lol:

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Carlos » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:33 am

Half a year since my last post - time flies!

Between December and late February I hadn't lost much weight at all, but hadn't gained any either, so not a disaster. Wasn't working out that much and was being pretty lazy with my diet, without pigging out like the old days. I think I may have just been a bit burnt out and was in need of a rest.

Since then, I've lost a further 9 kilos (maybe 10-11 now, as I haven't weighed myself in a week but have been working out an hour a day), so I guess that's 50 kilos lost since the 25th of May last year. It's taken a few months longer than it did last time, but I think I've done it right this time, as my body is much fitter and harder at the same weight. I attribute that to doing more fast paced work outs (HIIT every night)with more resistance training than just doing almost exclusively endurance training, which made me thin..but more of a 'dad bod'.

I still do have some fat to lose, so I think a further 5-10 kilos off should do it
http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13874&p=145759#p145759

Start: 135kg
Current: 85kg
Goal: 75kg
Carlos

Postby Carlos » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:29 am

Down another 1.5kg since last posting.

Down another pants size too haha

Carlos

Postby Blitz » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:52 pm

Good work Carlos. :D

As you get towards the maintenance stage of the game it is important to keep holding the ground that was hard won.
Vigilance is the key word that guarantees lifetime success.
It's easier to keep that weight off than to regain it and having to do it all over again.
So be ever vigilant and jealously guard your success! 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby Carlos » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:49 am

Blitz wrote:Good work Carlos. :D

It's easier to keep that weight off than to regain it and having to do it all over again.

Yeah, there's no way I'm going to put myself through this again. It's been such a tough slog, mentally.

Hit another milestone the other day, down to the next set of 10's, which is always a good feeling! Weight loss is slowing down as I'm getting lighter, but I'm growing muscle too, so I'd say I'm still losing fat at a decent rate. I've been doing around an hour of resistance training every day and am still increasing strength week by week, even in a calorie deficit.

Although, I have increased my food intake due to feeling a lot hungrier later. Instead of just eating all my calories at dinner time, I still have that same large meal, but I make a big protein shake to drink throughout the day which has a couple of bananas and 3 scoops of protein in it. Works out to be around 600-700 cals and keeps me well satisfied up until dinner

Not going to be doing much running for the next week, as I've done a little bit of damage to the right hand side of my arse. According to google it's called runners bum. I've had it before and it settles down after a few days... I'm certain it's because of my technique while jogging because I don't get it when sprinting. It hit me while I was at about the 4km mark in my run last night - it's like someone stabbing you with a knife. I did keep running though, and have got my 5.5km time to under 30 minutes, which I'm pretty happy about especially considering it was pouring down rain

Carlos

Postby Blitz » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:09 pm

Carlos wrote:Yeah, there's no way I'm going to put myself through this again. It's been such a tough slog, mentally.

Towards the end it really does tax you mentally. I remember saying towards the end of my journey to my wife that I was over it and wanted it all done with. She took it to mean that I wanted to quit and tried to encourage me to continue. I said that I wasn't thinking of throwing in the towel - just that the grind was getting to me. Huge effort for so little return...in the end I just sucked it all in and just went for an almighty push to get to goal and have it done with.

Carlos wrote:Although, I have increased my food intake due to feeling a lot hungrier later. Instead of just eating all my calories at dinner time, I still have that same large meal, but I make a big protein shake to drink throughout the day which has a couple of bananas and 3 scoops of protein in it. Works out to be around 600-700 cals and keeps me well satisfied up until dinner

I did much the same sort of thing. I increased my snacking to feed the increased hunger. In the end I realised that I was increasing my exercise just to feed my snacking and vice versa. It became a vicious circle. The increase hunger is caused by the body trying to get you to eat more because it thinks you are starving yourself to death (it thinks the old fat person you were is normal weight). That is why at the end of my journey I had to cut back on snacking and it was then that I was able to get traction. I had hovered for two months trying to move forward...when I did this - within two weeks I hit goal.
The good news is that in maintenance stage the body settles down and you will find common ground. You will not feel as hungry (although that doesn't entirely go away) but things will be more manageable. In maintenance, you can expect the body to reorganise itself. Places on your body that are depleted such as your butt will fatten up and other places like your hands and fingers will thin out.

Carlos wrote:Not going to be doing much running for the next week, as I've done a little bit of damage to the right hand side of my arse. According to google it's called runners bum. I've had it before and it settles down after a few days... I'm certain it's because of my technique while jogging because I don't get it when sprinting. It hit me while I was at about the 4km mark in my run last night - it's like someone stabbing you with a knife. I did keep running though, and have got my 5.5km time to under 30 minutes, which I'm pretty happy about especially considering it was pouring down rain

When you are back in the saddle (so to speak! :lol: )...really concentrate on good technique. I was fortunate enough to avoid injury because I always strived for good technique. Whenever I had the slightest twinge of pain I would slow my pace right down and play with my running style until I found a spot that was comfortable to run at. Once I found that place I would then slowly increase the pace and continue as before. Always listen to the body - and remember to push it but don't break it.
You are doing well Carlos...all power and success to you! :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby Carlos » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:27 pm

Down another kilogram and still making improvements with strength on the weights, so I guess my diet is still the right one. Just making sure I'm having at least 100g protein a day and staying away from too many carbs

I beat my 5km time last night by 5 minutes and Blitz will be happy to know that I avoided any type of injury haha. I figured out it was because my right foot was turning out a bit when jogging...so I concentrated on keeping it in.

Carlos

Postby Blitz » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Good to hear you are "back in the saddle" so to speak! :lol:

One of the things that I've learnt as a magician is that it isn't "practice makes perfect".
It actually is "proper practice makes perfect".
It is no good repeating poor technique...it is paramount that one learns how to do it right first before repeated practice.
This is the thinking that I bought with me to my exercise.
By concentrating on proper technique first I was then able to work on the speed without risk of injury.

Glad that you have discovered good technique...now power on to the finish line! :D

Kim
Blitz

Previous

Return to Personal Progress