It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:42 pm

Free Newsletter

Chaypeta's Journal

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Chaypeta's Journal

Postby Chaypeta » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:06 pm

It's march 4th here and technically I started on my road back to a healthy weight about ten days ago. I don't know what my starting weight was. Frankly I was too afraid to climb up on the scales. I know last year around August I weighed in at about 74 kilos and i know I've added to that since. Last night at work i finally decided to see what the weigh chair said and while everyone else was occupied I slipped into the bathroom and jumped on. The reading was 76.5. Okay, 2.5 kilos in 7 months isn't devastating, particularly considering the amount of junk I've eaten (mainly at night time before bed). But still a little depressing after remembering how proud i was to get down to 60 just four years ago.

There is also the thought that given how much walking I've done in the past ten days i must have lost something before that weigh in.

So this is what I've got to work with and this is the goal:

Height: 156cm
CW: 76.5
GW: 55
Amount to loose: 21.5

Time frame: I believe I can realistically reach my goal weight by next Christmas so that will be my target date.

Mini Goal: March 30th Wt: 75kg

Strategies:
Cola: Coca cola has crept into my life. From not touching the stuff I now drink up to three cans a day. I believe this is related to working night shifts as I constantly feel jet lagged adjusted my day night cycle twice a week. Coke helps to wake me up and keep me going. i don't think it's ralistic to cold turkey this so I'm going to start by cutting down to one can a day with a veiw to weaning off altogether. I crave it most with my evening meal so this is going to be my danger time.

Snackfood/ chocolate: Same story as coke. Though i'm not a huge snacker in some respects (a block of chocky will last me a week and I've never eaten a full marsbar in my life), chips, on the other hand, are my mor-ish tempters. I will look to substitue them for rice crackers which i like almost as much.

Fruit/ veg: Increase intake. Nuff said.

Water: Drink it before anything else and keep a bottle of it at hand at all times to stave of thirst that may send me hunting around for a can of coke.

Excercise: I've started a walking habit consisting of an hours walk in which i cover six kilometres at a fairly brisk pace. As an added incentive I've recently read Cesar's (the Dog Whisperer from the tv show) book on dog training his way which strongly advocates that excercise in the form of walking is the best way to convince your dog that you are the pack leader which he believes will cure most behavioural problems and make your dog a much more contented animal. Whoop whoop... I get thinner and my dogs become better balanced. Not that my dogs have any really troublesome behavioural problems. But I'm sure they won't complain. My dogs are both schipperkes, by the way. A 3 year old boy named Loki and a 2 year old girl Ember.

I have been aiming to walk my six km route at least five times a week and so far in the last ten days I've only missed two due to the impossibilty of finding a free hour between work and mother commitments so I think I'm doing pretty well so far.

It's a start. What do you think?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9otB50/]
[/url]

TERINU Australia's own Sci Fi Web Comic: http://www.terinu.com
Chaypeta

Re: Chaypeta's Journal

Postby Cac33 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:41 pm

Congratulations on making the choice to loose weight. Looks like you're already on the right track with the exercise! Keep that up & the weight will just fall off you.

Good luck & happy posting :D
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Postby Cac33 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:43 pm

That's really bizzare, you just wrote on my post as I was writing on yours!! There you go!

Hopefully see you around on more threads :D
Cass

Cac33

Postby Chaypeta » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:53 pm

That is a wonderful co incidence, Cac33. :D thanks for the encouragment. I'll cross my fingers for both of us.

I'm now writing everything I write down and calculating the number of points. I like the weight watchers system as it's very easy to keep track of just how much I've eaten without fiddling around with odd numbers of kJ. I know this system works well for me because everytime I've stuck with it I've had no problem loosing weight.

I've made up my own simple table to record everything I put into my mouth which is very incentive building in itself. It's a lot harder to sneak a chocky when you know you have to fess up on paper AND record the damage in the number of points. The little lie 'this bit won't hurt' just doesn't stand up to that kind of scrutiny.

I'm aiming to coming in just under my perscribed points limit every week: ie my points for each day following the WW method is 20. I can add 5 more if a go for my 6 kilometre speed walk which takes me almost exactly one hour. I don't want to have too many points left over, I find if I have more then 10 in the black for the week my weight loss actually slows. I put that down to too little intake equals a slowing of my metabolism.

I'm keeping each week long food diary sheet stuck to the filing cabinet behind my desk chair along with the book and time table for working out the points so theres no excuse not to record.

Now for the bad news. Night time hunger struck as it always does. I elected to stay up and watch the old Flash Gordon movie with Wayne and Ryan (yup... shoot me now for bad taste: but I'd only had 3 hours sleep in the last 30 so I blame exhaustion making me deluded.) Anyway after the persistant munchies monster nagging me for over an hour I spooned out a small bowl of canned fruit and made myself a diet hot chocolate. And then went and spoiled it by nibbling on sweet coated peanuts. What I should have done was just go to bed!!!

The rest of the coated peanuts went in the bin this morning. Evil things.

Night time munchies are going to be my biggest challenge. I'm going to have to figure some better stategies for dealing with them.
[/url]

Chaypeta

Postby Mandie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:15 pm

well done for a very sensible plan of attack!

i also struggle with night shifts - can i suggest diet coke/coffee without added sugar as your caffeine boost instead of straight coke? it can help you wean it down! i go through two sugarfree red bulls a shift when im on nights and readjusting.. but i can't give them up, it's the only thing that gets me through!

re: the night munchies - can you get some healthy snacks to have in the house? i find if i have some healthy snack foods like le snacks, pita chips (pitos) or other healthier snacks like aperos, i can munch on those instead of anything unhealthy! non-buttered popcorn is low cal. or you could cut up some vegies.. or get some low cal icecreams (am addicted to bulla mini splits - only 37cal each!)

good luck!
Mandie

Postby Cac33 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:45 pm

Chaypeta wrote:I'm now writing everything I write down and calculating the number of points. I like the weight watchers system as it's very easy to keep track of just how much I've eaten without fiddling around with odd numbers of kJ. I know this system works well for me because everytime I've stuck with it I've had no problem loosing weight.

I've made up my own simple table to record everything I put into my mouth which is very incentive building in itself. It's a lot harder to sneak a chocky when you know you have to fess up on paper AND record the damage in the number of points. The little lie 'this bit won't hurt' just doesn't stand up to that kind of scrutiny.

Hey Chaypeta good to see that you are using a food diary, it really helped me the first couple of weeks. I have been on weight watches before & it is much easier to use a point system than trying to count kilojules. Some of the others recommended Calorie King which is what I use now. It is a fantastic website that helps you calculate calories, intake of fluids & exercise. You can look up exactly how many calories are in different foods (& brands to compare), it has all different exercises listed so you can see how many calories you have burnt off etc. It is great for me as i have a desk job so it is open all day & I just add things as I eat them. Just a suggestion as it may help you too.

Also a suggestion for night time snacks, I have been eating Weis minis. You can get them from Woolies in a 16 pack & there is 5 different flavours. Nice & sweet but not many calories.

Have a good day!! Cassie
Cass

Cac33

Postby ***absolute_zero*** » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:21 pm

Best wishes with your weight loss journey Chaypeta I look forward to reading your progress :)
~~~Hugs Tam~~~

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzOso3A/]
[/url]

***absolute_zero***

Postby Chaypeta » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:56 am

Thanks Mandie for the tips. I'll try the diet coke idea and see how i go with that. I've never seen the sugar free red bulls. I'll keep my eye out for them.
Thanks for the suggestions on the low cal snacks. I like rice crackers (cheddar flavour) and bought some yesterday, and I've started cutting up carrots ready and lesaving them in water in the fridge. I didn't realise the mini splits were so low in cals!

hi Cassie, i'll check out the Calorie King web site as I'm often on line. Be interesting to look at my life style adjustments from another angle (i've decided i'm dieting... I'm adjusting my life style. :) )
[/url]

Chaypeta

Postby Chaypeta » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:00 pm

I did really well yesterday!

I ate healthy, did my 6 km and spent the evening munchie pang free! And all I drank all day was water with the exception of one cup of tea just before lunch.
I've done my six kilometres this morning and am now about to tuck into a ham salad for lunch. :mrgreen:
[/url]

Chaypeta

Postby matchbox » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:11 pm

nice work :D as long as you don't load up on the sugar tea, especially green tea, is really good for you :D

keep up the awesome work :D
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby katerina » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:18 pm

don't you feel good when you are such a good girl, and you respect your diet and workout.
keep the good work. :D
Not a very good english speaker, but I am tryin'

katerina

Postby Bel Diamante » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:53 pm

matchbox wrote:nice work :D as long as you don't load up on the sugar tea, especially green tea, is really good for you :D

keep up the awesome work :D

I've heard that Green Tea is good for you too. Apparently it helps to kickstart the metabolism???

Chaypeta it sounds like your on a really good plan! Keep up with it babe! I'm looking forward to hearing of your progress.

I'm looking at going back to night duty as a means for more income to help pay for my wedding. I've found some really good tips on this thread, thanks guys :D
xx Nic xx
Current Measurements
Start Bust: 133cm Now: 130cm
Start Waist: 127cm Now: 125cm
Start Hips: 148cm Now: 144cm
Bel Diamante

Week Two

Postby Chaypeta » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:00 pm

My first weekly weigh in and it looks pretty good. Although a sneak peak at my weight on saturday showed just about the same. I've decided to weigh myself for recording just after I wake up after a day sleep post night duty on Monday. I've had a few slip ups over the past week... an episode of clinkers which a friend brought along to munch during our gaming night on saturday. I ate ten and found out later that it amounted to three points, which doesn't seem so bad until you add the other 2 points of lollies I ate. My other slip was KFC though I limited myself to one piece of chicken (skin pulled off first) small chips... (chips are the worst I found out afterwards... 6 1/2 points!) and a potato and gravy. I drank a third of the soft drink that came with the meal before switching to water. My husband brought the KFC home after I asked him to buy me something low fat and salad-ish as he was grabbing take away for the family. He said there wasn't anything on the menu there that was diet conscious!

Other then those two slips I have been pretty militant about what I eat and I have kept up my 6 kilometre walks routine every morning with the exception of today as I worked a night shift. I would be going for a walk right now only it's very hot outside this afternoon. I don't have transport to get to the pool for a swim. I'm considering perhaps renting or borrowing an excercise bike for days like today when it's difficult to leave the house. If the weather cools down enough by seven I'll try to go for a walk then.

Noticably in myself I feel I have more energy and my body doesn't feel twenty years older when I first crawl out of bed in the morning. I managed to complete two inked comic pages and two full pencils this week for my web comic, clean all the stuff that had been accummulating in my bedroom (have to attack the drawers next) and cleaned out my daughters bedroom. (On top of night shift work, motherhood stuff, general cleaning and washing and cooking around the house.)
[/url]

Chaypeta

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:42 pm

You are doing so well, Peta! Conquering the evening munchies is a big thing and it's great to hear how well you're doing.

Have you considered doing some DIY step aerobics whenever the weather gets too hot? You can buy a cheap(ish) step on Ebay or make your own by duct taping old yellow pages together. Then just put your favourite music on and step away for half an hour.

I LOVE your online comic! The artwork is brilliant. I'm at uni at the moment, so I can't spend too long reading it right now but I'm definitely going to read through all the issues once I get home. You're a very talented artist!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Mandie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:24 pm

You're doing great! Sounds like you are feeling much better within yourself and it is showing on the scales - great loss, well done :)
Mandie

Next

Return to Personal Progress