It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:44 pm

Free Newsletter

Cherry is on her way

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: Cherry is on her way

Postby cherry847 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks for the support guys... I just realised Ali it is almost TTOTM and that may also be why I'm a) retaining fluid and b) so grumpy! Normally I'd bounce back from something like this after having a whinge but it seems like a big dark cloud hanging over me at the moment which is hard to move. So lovely to be a woman!

Thanks for your words Strawberry, I do need to stop stressing over every little thing I put into my mouth especially focusing on stuff that has already passed. It's good to have somebody tell me that because it makes me try to stop myself when I start doing it! My weight loss journey so far has been all about stress and that's probably why I haven't really enjoyed my new healthy lifestyle - because I associate it with stress instead of gaining good healthy and energy and all the great things that come when we treat our bodies well.

Maybe I will start keeping a log on here not just of my kilo progress but of my thought progress from negative to positive, like how many negative thoughts I have about myself (although that might be a bit scary!) It's funny how I can truly believe in somebody else's ability to do something but have so much doubt in myself but I know I can do this - so many of the people here are so inspiring the way they have all changed their lives and I am determined to change my life for the better!
This week's goal... control portion sizes!
cherry847

Postby cherry847 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:47 pm

I hopped on the scales last night before bed (silly thing to do but just wanted to peek) and it was 59.8.... then this morning jumped on them again and was 60.15! what the??? Either my scales are wrong or there is something crazy happening because I don't understand how I can weigh more after eating than I can the next morning after having fasted all night. Anyway, am trying not to let it bother me. I feel horrible at the moment because I'm holding a lot of fluid and so feel all...... squishy.

Yesterday I ate so well until I got home, then I had pizza (homemade so I could control it a bit, but still) a boost smoothie ice cream (which are absolutely divine I have to say!) a piece of giant toblerone (tastes so much better in a large size, don't know why) some belgium chocolates we have in a box on our coffee table and chocolate tiny teddies... and I was still hungry! I would have kept eating the tiny teddies too but I put them away so I couldn't get at them.

Anyway, taking it one day at a time. So today:
1 hr weights session
B - 2 weetbix, 1/3 cup lite soy milk, 1/3 cup water, sprinkle of sugar. Green Tea
Snack - 2 chocolate monte biscuits (felt a bit ill afterwards)
L - 1 serving Malaysian laksa, about 171 cals
S - will probably be a banana
D - Tuna salad with 4 bean mix, lettuce, cucumber, avocado and obviously tuna :)
After Dinner - an apple

I'm going out tonight so hopefully will be able to avoid the late night macca's run
cherry847

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:53 pm

Scales need to be banned during TTOTM! Even if it tells you good news you're still going to feel all yuck and squishy so there's no good that can come out of them. :lol:

Yay you for putting the tiny teddies away. I think you should focus on that achievement. You're demonstrating excellent food choices and willpower by doing that. Good on you! You should give yourself a pat on the back. Constant positive reinforcement of your good decisions will help you make better decisions in the future.

If you're usually tempted to do a late night maccas run is there another alternative you could substitute? What about Subway? They have some very healthy options there. Or even a maccas salad instead of one of their burgers? It's the little decisions which will help you change your lifestyle for the better.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Strawberry » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:29 pm

argh TOM is horrible, the crazies take over for sure!
how are you going now? once TOM is over you'll be able 2 get a handle on the extra eating. Your food intake looks great.
Strawberry

Postby cherry847 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:57 pm

Well I didn't avoid the macca's run..... husband was hungry and drove through and all I could think about was an oreo mcflurry. I could hear it calling my name through the window so I broke figuring, hey I've eaten well today! And as bad as I know they are, it was so worth it because I haven't had one in years and it tasted so good!

TOM hasn't started yet Strawberry! This time is going to be horrific I think because not due till tomorrow but for some reason I started getting symptoms (and I get all of them) this Monday so I'm going to be a treat to be around for the next week!!! :twisted: It's weird how that can happen and unfortunately nothing you can do about it but just put up with it for another week grrrrrrr

Yesterday I was interstate for the day for work and it's so hard to control your eating when you're running around but I managed to do ok but felt soooooo sick when I got home, cramping stomach and headache which has carried over into today a bit so I'm feeling a bit fragile, but so far today:

B - 1/3 cup porride with lite soy milk & water, tsp honey, 1/2 cup of tea
L - Peanut butter & Banana sandwich on soy & linseed bread, green tea (oh i loooooooooooove peanut butter!)
D - will be low fat ricotta & spinach canneloni

S- not sure yet, haven't had a chance to sit down but will probably get hungry this afternoon and not sure what's around but will try a piece of fruit if I can find one in the office!
Dessert is a boost bar. I have a new found addiction.

Let's hope that's all I keep it to! And I will put the scales away Ali for at least another week - I'm unstable enough at the moment without adding ammunition!

Have an absolutely divine weekend everyone!
cherry847

Postby cherry847 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Oh and thought I'd mention that yesterday I started trying to mentally calculate my calories and I caught myself and had a mental slap - so YAY! I'm fighting the obsession with food one day at a time but I was so proud of myself for recognising the beginning of the spiral and stopping it!
cherry847

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:29 pm

Good on you, Cherry. You're doing really well. You could always follow the 90-10 rule when it comes to treats like that Oreo McFlurry. As long as you make sure 90% of everything you eat is healthy you can spare 10% for treats. That means you can still watch what you're eating without counting calories. I've heard that this system works for some people. I haven't tried it myself though.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby cherry847 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:52 pm

Thanks Ali, that's a great way to look at it because knowing I can have things without beating myself up over it is very liberating!

I didn't have a weigh in this week as TTOM so I knew it wouldn't be accurate anyway, so am planning to do it next Saturday. I had an ok weekend, I ate a lot of junk but not a lot of food total if that makes sense - so although I didn't have the best fuel my calories for the days would not have been completely over the top. I did however manage to do the grocery shopping and not buy any "bad" food and I also threw out a lot of stuff which was good because if it's not there I can't eat it.

Since I have relaxed a bit about the diet and exercise I seem to be losing weight a bit more easily. I think the stress I was putting on myself may have been helping to hold the weight on. Also, I read the posts about calorie deficits on the weight loss forum and realised I may have actually been exercising too much and causing myself to go into starvation mode. I was exercising around 8 sessions a week for a minimum of 40 mins each, doing cardio and weights, and wondering why the weight wasn't coming off when I was doing so much. So I'm going to try and take it a bit easier too. I guess it's confession time then, the reason I did so much was because I figured if I was going to relax a bit with my diet then if I ramp up the exercise I'll still burn heaps of calories withouot cheating and obsessing about food. I do actually enjoy exercise though........ It's something I'm working on because I know it's not healthy to think this way and I don't want to be unhappy for the rest of my life, always freaking out about what I'm eating and when I'm going to exercise because that's what I do now and I can't stand it, it just makes me so stressed and unhappy. Anyway, here's today.... I'm not so strict this week because my body needs a bit of TLC at this time of the month and so I won't deprive her (too much!) :D

B- 2 weetbix, 1/3 cup lite soy milk, 1/3 cup water & green tea
L - leftover roast veges from last nights dinner
S - slice of lemon cake
D - homemade vegetable and barley soup
S - not sure.... a cube of the lindt dark mint chocolate I think. Maybe a boost bar. Who knows?!?!

I've also done 10 minutes on the step machine plus 30 minutes jogging/walking (mostly jogging) on the treadmill so burnt about 400 cals this morning I think.... and have a personal training session tonight.

My Goal this week - DRINK MORE WATER!!! It's just too cold and water tastes so blah at the moment!
cherry847

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:08 pm

There's nothing wrong with upping your exercise so that you can have a few more treats in your diet provided it's done in moderation. There's only two potential draw-backs that I can see with this plan. Firstly you can get used to the extra calories and then if you find yourself doing less exercise or giving it up completely for any reason you will regain your weight (this happens to a hell of a lot of ex-athletes). The second problem would be if you over-exercise. This has the double danger of making you more prone to injury and it can become an addiction, which like any other addiction can impact your family and social life. Apparently intense exercise of over 6 hours per week puts you in the danger zone of exercise addiction.

I've been in starvation mode a few times and it's amazing how much better I do when I increase my calories. The first time was when I was doing Weight Watchers. I was 'saving' far too many points per day and only losing 300g or so per week. The meeting leader told me to eat more so I was only saving one or two points per day and I started losing double the amount I was previously! Another time was at the start of this year. I was doing Calorie King and overestimating the number of calories I was eating. I went into plateau and only got out of that when I ditched calorie counting and just ate according to my hunger signals.

It's difficult though. I find it really difficult to make sure I'm eating enough not to go into starvation mode, but not too much so that I start gaining weight again. But I suppose if weight loss were easy there'd be no overweight people!

Good luck Cherry. You're doing great!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby cherry847 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:50 pm

I made some really great progress (exercise wise) this week... not so great on the food front. I woke up, got dressed for the gym and was already out the door when I stopped and thought, you know what? I'm going for a run tonight, and I'm really tired at the moment so why don't I give myself a break, I don't NEED to work out twice a day.... and I turned around and went back inside! Which I guess is the opposite of what most people would think is an achievement but instead of over-exercising I just did a normal amount of exercise which (surprise, surprise) didn't make me gain all my weight back overnight! So that was really positive.

On the negative side I have been so tired this week. Hubby caught a cold and has been snoring and coughing all night long which means I can't sleep, plus TTOM so I have been turning to sugar in a major way to give me energy. Last night after dinner I ate: 2 pieces choc mint Lindor, 1 piece giant toblerone, Milky Way, row of snack chocolate, bowl of stewed apples with a spoonful of icecream. :oops: Even writing it embarrasses me but I have to be honest otherwise I'm only hurting myself. I have realised what I am doing though so I'm trying to make an effort to curb my sweet tooth and use some more control otherwise I'm simply exercising to get rid of these extra calories instead of actually burning the fat!

Ironically I ate all that while watching a Jamie Oliver show last night about how the UK is basically killing themselves with the junk food they eat (although as a nation we are considered fatter so it's very relevant for us also).On the show they picked 18 'typical' people and examined their diets, but after listening to what they ate each week I was horrified! Some of these people ate takeaway almost every night of the week - I don't know anybody who does that. I'm by no means thin but I still eat vegetables every day because I like them and they're good for me! I wish they would put some people on there that did actually eat vegetables and things like that to show us how people who are already doing the things they suggest can improve their lifestyles even more. Anyway just a rant!

So, today so far...
B- Weetbix, 1/3 cup lite soy milk, 1/3 cup water, sprinkle of sugar & green tea
S - skim latte
L - homemade pizza :oops: and leftover pasta. I feel so bloated right now but mum made it and I always feel terribly guilty if I don't eat what she's made even if she's not here!
S - fruit unless I am ravenous......
D - Sweet potato mash and lamb
S - hopefully nothing!!!! But will probably have to update this tomorrow...

Went for a 40 minute run this morning, was supposed to go tonight as well but since hubby is sick I don't want to go by myself.
cherry847

Postby Strawberry » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:31 pm

cherry847 wrote:On the show they picked 18 'typical' people and examined their diets, but after listening to what they ate each week I was horrified! Some of these people ate takeaway almost every night of the week - I don't know anybody who does that. I'm by no means thin but I still eat vegetables every day because I like them and they're good for me! I wish they would put some people on there that did actually eat vegetables and things like that to show us how people who are already doing the things they suggest can improve their lifestyles even more.

i was thinking the same thing. I rarely eat take-away, my problem is portion sizing & too much carbs: pasta, bread, rice
Strawberry

Postby cherry847 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:01 pm

Strawberry wrote:
cherry847 wrote:On the show they picked 18 'typical' people and examined their diets, but after listening to what they ate each week I was horrified! Some of these people ate takeaway almost every night of the week - I don't know anybody who does that. I'm by no means thin but I still eat vegetables every day because I like them and they're good for me! I wish they would put some people on there that did actually eat vegetables and things like that to show us how people who are already doing the things they suggest can improve their lifestyles even more.

i was thinking the same thing. I rarely eat take-away, my problem is portion sizing & too much carbs: pasta, bread, rice

Me too Strawberry! I would love to go on one of those shows and have a full health assessment and checkup but it's not the sort of thing you can just go and ask for at the doctor's because I think it would be pretty expensive with all the tests and stuff!

So this weekend was not fun. I found out on Friday that I am moving house in 2 weeks which means all my exercise schedules and things have been completely thrown, plus I will be working very long hours next week so won't be home until late for a few days before the actual move so I am trying to figure out a timetable that will allow me to do something without collapsing from exhaustion! So this weekend mostly just packed things and went looking for whitegoods.... then on Saturday I came down with the cold my husband has had all week so I felt like rubbish all weekend, very tired and lethargic but unfortunately that didn't affect my appetite! I ate out 3 nights in a row which is very very rare for me, I don't eat out that often at all but it was just one of those weekends. Oh well, what's done is done! The annoying thing was that I couldn't really taste anything because of my cold so I didn't even get to fully enjoy it!!!! :roll:

Because I'm still feeling bad I'm going to ease up on the exercise this week, I didn't do any cardio this morning although I am seeing my trainer tonight so will do something. I'm hoping that I can really start following a healthier eating plan from today onwards. My main meals are always pretty healthy but I snack on things that aren't good for me so I'm trying to cut that out.

So my plan is to still enjoy food without overdoing it. To that end I have frozen some fun size mars bars and milky ways to satisfy my chocolate craving but as they will take longer to eat one will hopefully take me over the snacking stage of the evening till I start getting ready for bed. Well that's the plan anyway!

B - porridge with lite soy milk & water, dash of honey, Green Tea
S - skim cap
L - piece of wholegrain toast with peanut butter (just couldn't resist!), serve of vegetable soup
S - apple, possibly weight watchers muffin bar, cup of tea
D - vegetable & barley soup
S - frozen fun size mars bar

Still trying to drink all my water, it's so hard when it's cold! I've barely made a dent in it today..... Good thing about moving is that it will give me the opportunity for a half hour walk to and from work so will be able to add that in to my daily exercise. If I can wake up in time that is!
cherry847

Postby cherry847 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:57 pm

Oh wow I actually for the first time ever stuck to exactly what I said I was going to eat, in fact LESS!!! woohoo!!!!
Only had an apple yesterday afternoon, training got cancelled cos my trainer is sick too so I went for a 40 minute uphill walk on the treadmill - didn't want to push myself too hard as I'm still not feeling 100%. Had my soup last night and a frozen milky way which tasted so good!

So today has been ok, did my weights program for about 45 mins with a slightly lighter weight to take it a bit easy (didn't let my heart rate get too high) otherwise I felt a bit woozy. But apart from that...

B- banana & green tea (running late... oops!)
S- small portion of almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, raisins & dates (about 100 cal) & cup of tea (sugar & non fat milk)
L- chicken noodle cup a soup (50 cal) and a portion of pasta with little bit of broccoli, cauliflour and a TON of chilli!!! (and have now almost reached my daily water intake due to the massive amount of chilli in that!!)
S- not sure..... weight watchers bar maybe
D-chicken & vege korma (home made, minimal sauce) with low fat natural yoghurt
S- Going out so depends.... might have some peppermint tea while out and then have a boost bar or something when I get home

Haven't updated my weight for awhile... weighed myself on Saturday morning and was 59.45kg so not very exciting but will weigh myself again this Saturday.
cherry847

Postby Strawberry » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:11 pm

hi cherry, is it a good idea to exercise while your sick? hope your move goes well.
Strawberry

Postby cherry847 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:48 pm

Thanks Strawberry! I know it's not good to push myself when I'm not well but I just can't help myself, I feel sooooo guilty if I don't do anything.... it's something I need to work on.

So last night I had some herbal tea, ate waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much dinner :oops: and a frozen fun size mars bar.

Today I did 20 mins of easy riding on the bike and 25 mins of an uphill walk total of 320 cals burnt. I also have a training session tonight with my brand new kettlebell (very excited to use it!)

B-2 weetbix, lite soy milk, water & sprinkle of sugar, Green Tea
S- couple of sultanas & pumpkin seeds
L- a slice of chicken breast and some roast veges & salad all thrown together, diet coke. I tried beetroot for the first time today.... it was ok but I'm scared of it staining my teeth pink
S- not sure. I'm still eating lunch and it's 2:45 so I'll see if I'm hungry, maybe a weight watchers bar or something
D- leftover pasta bake, maybe some homemade garlic bread
S- frozen milky way

So You Think You Can Dance is on tonight.... yay! I'm addicted to that show, it's kind of sad.... but I feel like watching them be all athletic will somehow transpire through the tv and make me that way!

And also.... I weighed myself but I think my scales are wrong. They said 58.45kg. I mean WOOHOO if they're right but I just don't think so.... I'm going to the doctor tomorrow so I'll get a proper weigh in there I guess although I'm going after lunch so it won't be completely accurate.
cherry847

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress