It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:42 pm

Free Newsletter

Hippy Chick's Journal

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Hippy Chick's Journal

Postby hippy_chick » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:44 am

Hi! I'd like to introduce myself, I'm 25 years old, living and working in London. I have been overseas for a year now and have put on nearly 10kg since I left home one year ago! I am 5"6 so ten kg is quite noticeable of course. I am going to be going back home in 5 months and there is just no way I am going home and having the first thoughts of my friends and family be, "Woah, she's turned into a ball!". I have grown up in so many other ways and I want to go home and look great as well!!

So, I am going to be RELYING ON YOU GUYS and on this forum to help me through.

I have been trying to get my weight under control for the last 6 months and just am not getting anywhere. At the moment I have been reading the book "French Women Don't Get Fat" and the book has posed several questions which I have been answering in the past few days by tapping away at the keys. So I am going to paste a segmant here so that my first post isn't too overwhelming.

First and foremost - why am I doing this? - This is a pretty personal list as I wrote it not thinking I would paste it in a forum, and have left it unedited, but here it is!

• I have put on ten kilos and want to return home looking better, not worse!
• I have grown my hair and learnt to wear it out; but I have grown my body at the same time!! I want to make the most of it all!!
• I have a passion for fashion which at the moment I can get no joy from as I am refusing to buy new clothes when I am overweight, and what I can wear is restricted by my weight because I don’t feel I can wear it well or do it justice. I miss indulging in fashion and there is some irony here – fashion is something I enjoy and it is another interest other than food, but I can’t indulge in it now because of the above!
• I feel self-conscious because of the way that I look at the moment, but I want to feel good and be able to wear clothes that I feel good in.
• I want to be healthy on the inside and out and I want the food to eat make me look healthy on the outside.
• I don’t like the way my body looks and feels; I would feel very self-conscious in a swimming costume!
• I want to make the most of my body.
• I want to do this NOW because I have put on almost ten kilos and I don’t this ‘situation’ to go any further. The sooner I change, the easier it will be.
• I want to learn how to enjoy food properly, rather than using it as a distraction from emotions or a way to quell boredom.
• I want to learn ways to effectively deal with my emotions which doesn’t involve just eating, which is the first things I turn to, or at least, I incorporate it
• I love cooking, including sweet things, so I want to be able to cook this desserts and treats occasionally and really enjoy them, rather than using all my ‘sweet tickets’ on chocolate bars!
• I appreciate my body and I’ve learned to accept that I will always have curves, even when I am lighter! Everyone has body hang-ups, I do but I have learnt that I should be grateful as I’m fairly lucky.
• I want to do this now, because I can see the weight gaining and getting progressively worse. I don’t want to let it go on and on. I am acceptable now so now is the time to fix this, to reverse what I have done.
• I’m sick of wearing my old floaty clothes to work! I want to develop a sophisticated and professional work wardrobe and I cannot do that as I refuse to buy new clothes at this weight.

So that is why I'm doing this. Tomorrow I'm going to paste what I have written about why I have gained weight.

In the mean time though, a little about how I am planning to lose weight (I will write more about why I am choosing this 'method' later.

-I have just moved house and this, combined with my decision to take one train to work instead of two, will mean that I am walking for approx 55 mins per day as apposed to 20. I'm not doing any other exercise, because I don't enjoy walking around for the sake of exercise. At home, I place group sports. It's simply not possible now. The walking is great though, I always make it brisk!

-I am going to try and eat three meals per day although I often get hungry between breakfast and lunch, so it'll be fine to have a snack such as natural yoghurt, an apple, or some carrots!

-I generally have been stearing away from pasta and rice so that shouldn't be a big adjustment.

-My biggest problem is chocolate, and emotional eating. I am going to try to stear clear, but will not beat myself up if I have a little.

-Everything in moderation! No need to overdo it.

-I am trying to keep in mind that EVERY LITTLE BIT COUNTS. It won't happen overnight - I won't be happy with my body tomorrow, in a week, or even a month!! But I CAN be on my way. Am I going to decide to be ON MY WAY THERE in a months time, or still at the SAME SPOT in a month's time? That's the question, and it all comes down to all the little decisions, and to a little thing called patience!!

I look forward to sharing this little challenge with you all and thank you in advance for your help and support! I hope I can give it back to you also. I'm not going to be weighing myself until I noticebly feel and can see I've lost weight. A while back I was weighing myself on a weekly basis - I thought I had done SO well with my eating one week, but the scales told me I'd not lost a gram! So what did I do? I plunged into a binge fest which has not stopped!! So no weighing for now. I can tell you though that the last time I did weigh myself I was 70.1kg, that was a few weeks ago, and my weight this time last year was 61kg. I have a way to go, wish me luck!

x
Slow & Steady Wins the Race!

I'm imformed, committed & consistant. I'm loving my body & working towards a sustainable body, the healthy way.

Persistance will set you free.
hippy_chick

Re: Hippy Chick's Journal

Postby curvygirl » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:55 am

God luck Hippy Chick, you'll do it easy. I can relate to the passion for fashion but it is a real challenge trying to find something nice in larger sizes.
Looking forwarding to hearing about your progress
Curvygirl.
Need to get motivated.

Mini Goal - 10 Kilos lost 14th May Acheived 2nd May, Yahoo
1st goal - 100kg 5th July
2nd goal - 90kg 4th October
3rd goal - 85kg 15th November
4th goal - 80kg 20th December
5th goal - 70kg 3rd June 2011
curvygirl

Postby Moonie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:39 am

Welcome hippy chick!
It sounds like u have a really great plan set out!
Best of luck with ur journey, i'm sure u will do great!!
I look forward 2 hearing more from u,

Madison
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9Aku8C/]
no more binge eating!
Moonie

Postby Strawberry » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:51 am

Welcome to the forum Hippy Chick, this place is such a great place to be around - i've become addicted. I can relate to a lot of what you're feeling. I felt like i was reading my own thoughts. The pressure is off me to weigh in & just go by measurements & how i feel. I'm the same if i don't see a loss i go straight to the chocolate & binge. Last time i weighed i was 70.8 & haven't weighed since & my goal is to get down to 60 too. We can do it & kick these 10kgs in the butt. :mrgreen:
Strawberry

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:53 am

Good on you, Hippy Chick! It sounds like you've got a great plan there. I look forward to reading about your progress!

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby sassi » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:17 pm

hi & welcome!

i can totally relate to the uk weight gain - i put on about 12kg over the 4 years i lived in the uk.

thank you for sharing your reasons for doing this. i think you have a super attitude and look forward to reading more about your journey.

good luck :)
sassi

Postby hippy_chick » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:47 am

Good Evening all -

Thank you all so much for your replies - it sounds like there are a few of us actually trying to lose similar amounts!

I have had an interesting couple of days. The past couple of days have been very stressful work wise and unfortanately I turned to my old habits of binge eating. It doesn't make you feel better though does it - I don't know why i can't learn! Afterwards I just feel disappointed in myself.

Today was much better, and I didn't even have to try very hard because I was quite busy. I ate muesli for breakfast, a tuna mayo s/w for lunch (could improve on that though) and for dinner I had a vegetarian red curry with a little rice. Not your traditional diety diety food but you know what, it was a healthy day and I am find with that today. I didn't eat chocolate, I didn't miss it and I feel fine :)

I am blurrrk, I just can't believe when I look in the mirror the changes I've inflicted on my body! I am excited about eating healthily for the sake of my skin and general health as well.

Well now I am going to paste something which I wrote last week re. the diet books I have read recently, and my thoughts on each of these styles of dieting - the good and the bad points.

Before I go - work is buying pizza for lunch tomorrow. I'm taking a tuna salad. I will come here after tomorrow and tell you I didn't have any!

I'm imformed, committed & consistant. I'm loving my body & working towards a sustainable body, the healthy way.

hippy_chick

Postby hippy_chick » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:53 am

This is quite lengthy so I'll highlight the bits that are most important to me.

Over the past few months I’ve read a few different diet books, which have had varied approached to dieting; some things I like and have found useful and some things I don’t.

‘Real Girls Eat’ encourages exploring different foods and cuisines and cooking from scratch; eating a variety of foods for nutrition and taste. I like this idea; this is what food is all about.

‘The Chocolate Addict’ had a different approach, telling you to fully stock your cupboards with your sinful food and that eventually, you will get over it and eventually it will lose it’s appeal. It says to pause one minute if you crave a certain food and think about if your body really needs it or if you want it for some other reason. I do like this idea and found it very useful. It said, if you truly do want the chocolate, then eat it. I did find this useful; I don’t find banning any food is a good idea – when you make it off limits you tend to think about it more. If you know that you can have it if you really do want it – if you know that it it is always there if you want to have it, then you tend to be a bit more relaxed about that particular food, and food in general actually. There is no need to stuff your face with chocolate and tell yourself ‘this is the last time I’ll have it’ (I have started that approach countless times and it will never ever work; it is a ridiculous concept).

I fell in love with ‘The No Crave Diet’ and particularly enjoyed the scientific explanations in the book. Particularly liked reading about how it is important when you eat, as well as what you eat. Your body begins to burn your body’s fat stores after 3-4 hours of eating, and it can’t do this if you keep on eating. Sleep is an important time for burning calories so it’s also important not to succumb to eating late at night so your body can maximize fat burning time over night. I am feeling slightly hungry at the moment, but it is 10.11pm. I ate two hours ago, which means that in one or two hours my body will start burning my fat stores and will continue to do so until breakfast. Particularly around the 7 or 8 hour mark. So although I am a little hungry I won’t eat now, I will just drink water. (Ahh, that’s better!)

I would like to try and get back to eating three meals per day (although a lot of people seem to advocate ‘grazing’ but I am not going to go hungry. I think this is why that diet failed. There was a lot of emphasis placed on when you eat – ‘No Snacking’ was very important, and it said you would get over the hunger after a week. This sounds dodgy though. I am going to take the advice of my new book and have some healthy natural yoghurt for a snack or an apple.

So, I did like that aspect of the book but in general, the diet failed. It called for 6-8 weeks of no processed carbs, including cutting out cereals, and also, no snacking between meals. This diet was troublesome as I had to eat eggs for breakfast, which I soon tired of, and it also suggested protein shakes. I had no success finding the protein shake it suggested (with a specific sweetener) and ended up trying two varieties which I couldn’t even stomach! They were also very sweet so I became hungry very quickly after breakfast.

The diet also suggested taking supplements to help with weight loss. Now, I think supplements are good and I will probably continue to take some of them, but I think too much emphasis was placed on the supplements – almost as if, you couldn’t make it without them. I spent a fair bit of money on these.

I also had a problem with the no snacking rule. As a rule, I can generally last from lunch until dinner, and from dinner until breakfast without being famished; in fact I can do so quite comfortably. I usually have trouble between breakfast and lunch though. I found that eggs helped me last longer, but I can’t stomach them every day. Protein shakes, or any shakes for that matter, are tempting because it seems like such a simple concept: eat this low calorie drink twice a day and you don’t have to think about what you’re doing. I have been on a “Very Low Calorie Diet’ of Optifast shakes before and lost weight and I kept it off for 6 months. It did help me to reprogram my eating habits and to control my portion size. This was at a time when I was not interested in food and it perhaps suited my lifestyle at the time. In general though, I think shakes can get quite monotonous and don’t do anything to teach you to eat healthily. If I think about having children, I know I would be setting a poor example to be having shakes for breakfast and lunch, and this tells me it is not a healthy option. Perhaps they are ok if you are on the run – but when you have an hour long lunch break every day, a shake is not really satisfying. Food should be combination of nutrition and pleasure. Deprivation is not key and shakes aren’t the right thing for me right now.

I did take on board the rule of cutting out refined carbohydrates such as bread, pasta and rice and I have found that I could do this quite easily. Now I can easily have chicken and vegetables for dinner without the pasta. Pasta and rice are not foods that I crave very often, not in the sense that I crave chocolate, for example. I am lucky in that sense and have not really missed the rice and pasta. They have become occasional foods for me. I do find that when rice and pasta are on offer, it is very easy to overeat! ‘The No Crave Diet’ told me that starchy foods and high-sugar foods (pasta included) actually generate more cravings, and I find this to be true. So that is something I will keep in mind.

I am currently reading ‘French Women Don’t Get Fat’, which is about a French Woman who did get fat, and put on ten kilos, just like me actually (which is fantastic, as I feel like I have some affinity to her!) I have only read a couple of chapters but I am liking the style of the book as it oozes sophistication and it’s not extremist. It’s about eating well and enjoying food in moderation. It is telling me to cut out or cut down my worst offenders, but at the same time, is all about enjoying quality food.

I am going to incorporate aspects of everything I have learnt: thinking about why I am eating, watching the times I eat, the portions I eat, but not depriving myself. I do have to be careful though, because when I followed the Chocolate Addict’s diet, I began to fall in to the trap of thinking I could eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and that this way I would be thinking less about food because I knew I could have what I wanted when I wanted it. But, this is NOT what was being said. It is ok to indulge sometimes, but no always, and there’s no need to do this. You still have to eat with your head; and you can’t become blaze about food; eating on auto-pilot.

The Frech book suggested kick starting the diet with a 3 day session on leek soup!! I’m sure there’s some reasoning behind this but it does fall under the ‘extremist’ category to me I’m afraid and I would rather skip that particular part.

This section is a bit disjointed but I writing what comes to mind! I feel like ‘The No Crave Diet’ failed because of the title. It promised that cravings would be eliminated and the fact that I did crave simply made me feel like I was failing the diet! Too extreme.

I did like the advice that, if you have a slip up, go straight back to eating well. It said diets don’t fail on one slip up, but many, which is obvious and true. I guess it’s more important to have a tighter reign on the foods you’re eating in the stages you’re trying to lose the weight rather than when you’ve lost it and you’re trying to maintain, which is also a reason I failed. I started thinking, ‘I should just eat as normal’ – and that week, although I ate mostly healthily with a few minor treats, as in, ate ‘normally’, I didn’t lose. It was a comfortable week, I felt healthy, and not depraved. I didn’t lose weight though because to lose weight, you need to burn more than you consume. I think I need to remember that I am actually trying to lose weight and make that extra effort (not to starve or be extreme, but to be extra careful to try and cut out offenders and to jump immediately back to eating well if I do eat something bad).

I feel like I have kept failing as well because I can’t see the end of this. While 10kg is certainly a substantial amount, it’s not 15kg, it’s not 20kg and it’s not 50kg. It’s a very doable amount of weight to lose if I can eat with my head and just stay focused with my eye on the goal. I need to not be put off by the fact that no, I am not going to be at my goal weight this time next week. Yes, in two weeks I am probably still going to have trouble sitting in my jeans because they’re cutting into my gut. Yes, when someone takes my photo in three weeks I will still think I look chubby, yes I am still going to have rolls of fat on my stomach when I sit in the bath in a month and yes I am not going to have to hold of buying new clothes for at least a month. Yes yes yes but so what, who cares? Because, in two or three months, guess what? I will be at my goal weight, my jeans will fit nicely and they might even be a smaller size! I will look good and well-proportioned, my skin will be glowing, my hair will be shining, I will be looking and feeling great. Not trapped, like I am feeling now. So I do need to be patient; it will happen, it has happened for countless others, but it will happen gradually, over two or three months. I just need to trust in the process; I won’t see any changes right away (I will start to feel better though- I already do!) but the physical changes will happen soon enough. I need to just keep on and keep my eye on the goal and also not give up after a couple of kilos, which is another habit of mine!! My goal is NOT 68, or 66, or 64 or even 62 kilos though. It’s 60 or 61 so please, we do not stop, this is a re-working of my lifestyle and not a temporary mood lifter. It’s about achieving a goal weight that I can sustain and be consistently comfortable with!

hippy_chick

Postby hippy_chick » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:34 am

sassi wrote:hi & welcome!

i can totally relate to the uk weight gain - i put on about 12kg over the 4 years i lived in the uk.

thank you for sharing your reasons for doing this. i think you have a super attitude and look forward to reading more about your journey.

good luck :)

Thanks Sassi!

Yeah, what is it about theis country hey?! The cheap chocolate does NOT help, I have to say.

hippy_chick

Postby Strawberry » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:02 am

I enjoyed reading that. Some of the things you've mentioned has triggered something in me: how you mention your body isn't going to change overnight & how it will in 3 mths time.
Strawberry

Postby hippy_shake » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:54 am

Hey I really appreciated your post, especially about the 'yes its not gonna happen tomorrow but it will happen'! I fall into that trap of putting in alot of effort and subconsciously thinking it should undo all the damage I've done over the years, but little by little my brain changes, it is a learning process but a valuable one. Just wanted to wish you all the best with your goals :D

Oh and your name's pretty cool too :P

Jane.
Jane :)

SW:80- 21/05/08
CW:68.5
GW:60

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6qtd3I/]
hippy_shake

Postby hippy_chick » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:26 am

Strawberry wrote:I enjoyed reading that. Some of the things you've mentioned has triggered something in me: how you mention your body isn't going to change overnight & how it will in 3 mths time.

It's so true isn't it? And like Hippy Shake said it's so easy to just want to throw in the towel. I sometimes lose a kg or two and then chuck it in, but I KNOW I'm not going to be happy with that so why stop?

I sometimes have trouble wrapping my head around the concept of my body actually changing, and how is it going to do that?! Which is why it's so inspirational when you do see others achieve their goals.

Well, good news guys!! Work ordered pizza today, but while 20 poeple stood around hoofing in, I did not!! It smelt so good, but it was the greasy fatty cheap kind, and I knew I would feel fat and greasy afterwards. I waited until my lunch hour and ate my little tuna pasta salad!!

It's weird coz sometimes when you're in a social situation like that, you almost feel 'peer pressured' to eat the same foods, 1) because it's a social thing and 2) you think everyone will notice if you don't! A few people said 'have some pizza have some pizza'... but then you know, they ate, they finished, and that was that, and no one cares, and I feel good that I didn't cave.

hippy_chick

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:36 pm

Good on you for not having the pizza! It's amazing how easily free food can weaken our willpower sometimes, which is insane when you consider how much most of us would be willing to pay to lose our excess weight! It's great that you saw pizza as a temporary thing that wouldn't matter once lunch-time was over. That's the way I often talk myself into resisting fatty foods... but in a far less pleasant way. I remind myself that it's just going to end up in the toilet in a couple of hours time. Is it really worth all those calories just to be able to crap pizza instead of a healthy salad? :lol:

Good on you and keep up the good work, Hippy Chick!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby hippy_chick » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:39 am

Hello hello.

Just a quick check in to say that all is going well! Had a few little treats on the weekend (in the way of nutella with blueberries!) but mainly very nuutritious eating.

I don't even feel like I'm on a diet. I am reading 'Why French Women Don't Get Fat' and I strongly reccommend it; what a fantastic book. It really makes you think about food in an entirely different way. It is about food appreciation. What did I read today... the dieter's worst enemy is not calories, it's boredom. How true it is for me. I have been eating a wide variety of foods and experiementing with all sorts of combinations. It is making eating a pleasure. When you are occupied with flavours and textures etc. you are not concerned with shovelling food into your face. You take time to think about each meal and what it is that you feel like eating and preparing.

Today on my lunch break I went to a little fruit market and bought a couple of fresh plums. They were delicioous. That is something I would have never thought of before. When I am in the 'diet' mindset, I find that I have tunnel vision and try to limit myself. Eg. for a whole week I would have chicken breast and salad for lunch. Ok one day, but every DAY?! Why why why would I do that when there is a whole world of healthy options and combinations to choose from!?

I'm not even craving chocolate. When I think about it, my mouth does water, and I know it would be delicious, but the point is, if we only ate what we thought was delicious all day long, we'd all be big puddings! I'm finding out that you need to strike a balance, and try to achieve nutrition and taste. It's not hard. The book I am reading also has tonnes of great recipes in it.

I have been eating three meals mostly, although still finding I sometimes need a snack in bewteen breakfast and lunch.

I think the mandatory walking to and from work will start to pay off soon enough as well. I also did some weights this morning (I found some boy ones in the cupboard. My housemate is a big beefcake and they are a little heavy but ok!

That's all from me fro today :)

hippy_chick

Postby sassi » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:46 am

the book sounds really interesting. i might have to find myself a copy! it's so true about eating through boredom...habit would be my other big one.

the walking should definitely help. do you find that it helps you to clear your head after the day at work as well? when i lived in edinburgh i used to walk to & from work a bit & the walk really helped me get rid of the days frustrations!

weights will make a nice balance with the walking you're doing :)
sassi

Next

Return to Personal Progress