It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:19 am

Free Newsletter

Al's progress and ups and downs & the bits in between!

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Al's progress and ups and downs & the bits in between!

Postby al83 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:36 pm

Well I'm now 7 weeks (I think??) into my weightloss journey and what a rollercoaster it's been so far!! I've lost 4kg and it has been both difficult and easy, if that makes sense!! The most amazing thing so far has been this huge increase in my energy and that really snuck up on me, I didn't even realise I had the extra energy until I needed to draw on it!

For those of you who get disillusioned with the scales (as I certainly do!!) make sure you record your measurements about once 3-4 weeks; I've done this and even though the scales are only down 4kg, I've lost 25cm in total from around my body!! So use scales as a guide, but don't let it be your only motivator!

I head to Perth next week for a week's holiday to see a friend I went to Thailand with last year and who tried everything to coax me onto the beach with no success - so hopefully she'll see the newer and continuing to improve me :-)

Al x
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFTRlu1/]
[/url]
al83

Re: Al's progress and ups and downs & the bits in between!

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:10 am

Good on you Al! I'm glad you're finding your weight loss journey easy, at least in part! It's great that you have so much more energy. Great tip about taking measurements, too.

Given how well you're going so far I'm sure you'll have a swimsuit perfect body in no time!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby al83 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:40 am

Perhaps I was too quick to speak!! Grrr, a set back today and I'm not happy :-( I had 4 x 2km walks (uphill & downhill mind you!) and 2 cardio classes and a pilates class this week and stuck to my eating plan about 90% of the time and still put on 1.2kg at my weigh in this morning :-(

Someone tell me it's not a myth about muscle mass weighing more than fat, pleeeeeeeeeeeeease!
[/url]
al83

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 pm

Muscle mass is denser than fat. So you can gain weight by increasing muscle. Unless you've done a hell of a lot of weight lifting in the last week I don't think you'd gain 1.2kg though. It's more likely to be because of water retention. If it's very hot, or if you've had a bit more salt than usual, you can easily retain a kilo or so of water. And if it's close to TTOTM many women will gain weight through water retention.

Not to ask too personal a question, but how is your digestion? I found I was gaining weight when I switched to a new diet that (to put it as politely as possible) didn't keep me as regular as before. So most of the gained weight was actually food matter sitting in my colon! If this is the case then increasing fibre, water and a little bit of healthy fats should see you get back to normal.

Don't panic about it yet. Chances are it's just one of those things that'll fix itself within a week. Just keep up the good work and you'll find you'll lose weight in the long run!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby al83 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:11 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:Muscle mass is denser than fat. So you can gain weight by increasing muscle. Unless you've done a hell of a lot of weight lifting in the last week I don't think you'd gain 1.2kg though. It's more likely to be because of water retention. If it's very hot, or if you've had a bit more salt than usual, you can easily retain a kilo or so of water. And if it's close to TTOTM many women will gain weight through water retention.

Not to ask too personal a question, but how is your digestion? I found I was gaining weight when I switched to a new diet that (to put it as politely as possible) didn't keep me as regular as before. So most of the gained weight was actually food matter sitting in my colon! If this is the case then increasing fibre, water and a little bit of healthy fats should see you get back to normal.

Don't panic about it yet. Chances are it's just one of those things that'll fix itself within a week. Just keep up the good work and you'll find you'll lose weight in the long run!

It's so contradicting - - to lose weight, you have to drink more water - but then you have the worry of water retention?? I don't have much salt in my diet, a pinch on my dinner of an evening and that is about it & as I'm on Jenny Craig the sodium levels in all of my food is pretty monitored. However it was TTOTM last week - - though I didn't think it would make difference, I'm generally not a 'bloater' when I'm on?? Grrrr. My diet is pretty high in fibre (I go about 2-3 times a day!!), low in saturated fats but moderate in terms of 'good fat' - basically I'm doing all the things I should be! My only vice would be a few glasses of wine, but that has not changed from week to week (except right at the start of my diet when I cut down to just 3 evenings a week having one or two glasses).

I have to keep remembering that i've lost 25cm from my body, and stop looking at those damn scales! My clothes are loose as and my face has definition and shape again, not puffy and bloated, THIS is what I'm aiming for, not what those damn scales tell me!

:-) Thank you for your help though, tis exactly what I needed to hear today!
[/url]
al83

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:42 pm

al83 wrote:It's so contradicting - - to lose weight, you have to drink more water - but then you have the worry of water retention??

You're actually less likely to experience water retention if you drink more water. It seems weird, but makes sense if you think about why the body retains water. The body will hold onto things if supplies are low. This is to prevent problems caused by lack of food, water, etc. An example would be 'starvation mode' where the body adjusts its metabolism to hold onto fat if you eat too few calories. So if you're not drinking enough water (or if it's excessively hot) the body is more likely to retain fluid as protection against dehydration. If you drink plenty of water there's no reason for the body to retain it.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby al83 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:30 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:
al83 wrote:It's so contradicting - - to lose weight, you have to drink more water - but then you have the worry of water retention??

You're actually less likely to experience water retention if you drink more water. It seems weird, but makes sense if you think about why the body retains water. The body will hold onto things if supplies are low. This is to prevent problems caused by lack of food, water, etc. An example would be 'starvation mode' where the body adjusts its metabolism to hold onto fat if you eat too few calories. So if you're not drinking enough water (or if it's excessively hot) the body is more likely to retain fluid as protection against dehydration. If you drink plenty of water there's no reason for the body to retain it.

That makes sense and do you know, no one has ever explained that to me before! I'm off to refill my glass :-)
[/url]
al83

Postby Strawberry » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:32 pm

another reason why ur body retains the water if ur not drinking enough is because our bodies are made up of 70% water - if its not getting it, it will hold on to it.
Strawberry

Postby al83 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:48 am

Well what a rollercoaster the last few weeks have been - - probably the hardest so far since I began the journey!

I had a week away in Perth seeing a friend and somehow managed to lose weight - so was very happy with that!

Then came a girls weekend to Airlie Beach and it all went downhill - - boozing, sleeping in & bad food a plenty - - I well and truly fell off the food wagon!! Coming back to my Jenny Craig centre, I was very hesitant as I know I had undone some good work, but wasn't prepared for the dressing down I got by my consultant :-( I walked out feeling fatter and more of a failure than ever!! In a weird way, she spurred me on to prove her wrong this week and through good eating (with one meal out even!!) and exercise I lost 2.2kg this week, my biggest loss yet.

I am still consumed with getting rid of the other 19 kilos I need to get to my goal weight, but I have learnt a very important lesson this last month - - balance is the key. Too much or little of anything, is just not good!
[/url]
al83

Return to Personal Progress