It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:01 pm

Free Newsletter

Freddy's progress

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Freddy's progress

Postby Freddy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:47 pm

Let's face it, I'm overweight and something needs to be done about it...

Height: 183cm
Current weight: 100kg
Goal weight: 85kg

I'm not going to bore anyone with the entire overweight story of my life here. Let's just leave it with this: There's 15kg of crap under my skin, and it needs to go!

So, how am I going to achieve this?

1) Change my drinking pattern, and I'm not talking about alcohol here ;)
At the moment I drink this on a daily basis:
* 1 Glass of milk
* 8 Cups of coffee
* 4 Glasses of diet coke
It's just not healthy. It has to change. What I will be drinking, starting today:
* 1 Glass of milk
* 3 Cups of green tea
* 6-7 Glasses of water
* 1-2 Glasses of diet coke

2) My eating habits... Does it need to change? I will leave this partially up to you. In my humble opinion there's nothing too wrong with it.
* 1 Bowl of cereal's, with milk
* 1 Slice of cake
* 2 Sandwiches (when I ride the bike to work I eat 6 though)
* 1 Apple or banana
* 1 Regular plate with diner
* 1 Slice of cake
The last slice of cake will dissapear from the daily menu, as most probably will the first.

3) Excercise more...
* Do 100 ab crunches a day.
* Ride my bike to work 3 days a week. I'm setting myself a goal of 6000 commuter km's a year (one round trip is 50km).
* Pick up the dumbells again. Every other day excercise either upper and fore-arm, or shoulders and chest. Still looking around the web to find the exact excercises I should be doing.

4) No drinking, no smoking, no drugs. This is the easy part... I never did any of the before, so I will just keep on not doing those ;)
Freddy

Re: Freddy's progress

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:02 pm

Great plan there! I would say those bits of cake, if they're regular every day things, are definitely a good thing to change. And good on you for acknowledging the drinking side of things! Best wishes.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dave » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:32 pm

Hi Fred,
Sounds like a plan man. I like cycling myself and wish you the best of luck there; I can appreciate your efforts in that dept. The weights are good to keep your metabolism kicking over. Your diet sounds ok to me, given that I am sure it’s a change for the better. Don’t judge your progress to harshly early on; as I am sure if you stick it out, that by the end of the second week, you will be feeling much better regardless of weight. When that happens I ‘m sure things will fall into place quickly.
I wish you the best of luck look forward to seeing you progress.
Dave.
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Postby Lexi213 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:31 pm

Hello Freddy!!!! You have a good plan ahead of you. Seeing as we started about the same time, we hopefully can be motivation to each other!!! I know the start is the hardest!!! So hopefully we can both get into a good routine. I feel the stronest urge to reach my goal. I enjoy cycling as well, though I think you do well to do the sprint thing. That is crazy stuff. Anyways, hope all goes well!!! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w52Zych/]
[/url]
Lexi213

Postby Freddy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:23 pm

The bike commuting will be delayed for another month. There's so much to do around the house, that I just can't afford to get back home, energy drained. I did however notice that I actually burn more calories by DIYing than by cycling. So that's a big plus :D
Freddy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:42 pm

Cycling rocks, and you'd be surprised how much you can still do after riding home once you're used to it!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Rosie Peters » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:51 pm

Hey Freddy
The success of your diet depends a bit on
- What sort of cereal? Muesli (untoasted) or weetbix are good, most others too much sugar.
- What's on your sandwiches? Lean meat or fish, cheese and salad are good - 6 sandwiches sounds a bit excessive (depends what you call 1 sandwich, 1 or 2 pieces of bread? Wholegrain or multi or light or heavy rye will give you energy to get going on your pushy but the white squashy stuff is not worth eating if you want to be fit)
- Dinner should have heaps of lean protein and some complex carbs. A big pile of veggies or salad is a must.
- After dinner snack - low fat yoghurt or cottage cheese mixed with fruit.

You could try ditching the cake for more fruit plus protein shakes or bars - good for the immune system, muscle repair and growth and stopping hunger cravings. (more energy for household DYI + cycling). Your drinks plan sounds really good. All the best with your plans. :D
Rosie Peters

Postby Freddy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:53 am

Hey Lexie, I sure hope we can motivate each other in this :)

Hi Rosie, thanks for the reply. That's a bunch of pretty good questions you posted :)

I only eat muesli (with some raisins in it) with milk as breakfast. Occassionally that comes with a glass of orange juice, but mostly a glass of water to kick off the day.
My (wholegrain, I dislike white) sandwiches usually come with a slice of cheese on it. I always thought one sandwich is one slice of bread though.
My dinner usually consists of either 2 potato's, vegetables and 'meat', or about 60gr of rice, with diced chicken, tomato, paprika.
My after dinner snack is mostly a slice of cake. It's healthier kind of cake than you get when you enter 'cake' in Google. The cake I am referring to is this kind of cake which contains lots let fass, less sugar.
Freddy

Postby Rosie Peters » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:28 pm

Freddy, the cake looks very tasty. Trouble is, I look at it and I want a big slab of butter on it. Lucky I don't have it in front of me :D

Your diet sounds very do-able and sensible. (My idea of a sandwich is 2 slices, so I was wondering how you could eat all that! Makes sense now)

Just one more hint, beware of fruit juice. Because the pulp is taken out of the fruit in juicing it, the juice has little more in it than sugar, so gives you a feel good energy spike but is not good for dieting. Whole fruit is the go, even though it gets a bit messy sometimes.

Cheers! Rosie
Rosie Peters

Postby Freddy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:05 am

Thanks Rosie :)

Haven't had any fruit juice today. I drank 3 glasses of water (in about half an hour 4 glasses), had 4 cups of green tea, 2 cups of coffee and a cup of light soup. Besides that I ate a plate of dinner today, 2 sandwiches (1 Rosie sandwich ;)), an apple and a slice of cake. And of course the bowl of milk/muesli this morning...

I actually feel like I put too much to eat on my plate tonight. I can't believe I actually feel that way. Throw me a McDonalds meal and I feel like I want even more... It's a great feeling to actually know you can eat too much. Haven't been this weight conscious ever. This forum is quite a motivation for me!

I feel good, hydrated and think I would be ready to start doing some excercises (crunches and weights) in a few days. Just wait a bit for my body to get accommodated to the changing eating pattern.

What doesn't feel too right, as soon as I see a scale, I want to get on it, to see if my changing pattern actually shows. I know it's not good to hop on the scales every day, but once a week, but I want to know if it pays off... Does any of you recognize that?
Freddy

Postby Strawberry » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:28 am

Freddy wrote:I see a scale, I want to get on it, to see if my changing pattern actually shows. I know it's not good to hop on the scales every day, but once a week, but I want to know if it pays off... Does any of you recognize that?

i weigh in every day not cos i expect 2 see a loss more 2 keep me accountable & motivated - i don't want 2 see the numbers going u, which keeps me on track with eating. i picked a day 4 my weekly weigh in & take that reading as official weigh in.
Strawberry

Postby Freddy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:43 pm

It's good to know whether you're doing something wrong, or right. As far as I can see by weighing every day, is that I'm doing something kind of right. The first 2 days my weight started going up instead of down, about 2kg, after that it went back down and by now I'm back at the weight I started (and didn't change the diet anymore). So it looks like my body is getting my point in eating less, and more controlled, and is digging up some old resources ;)
Freddy

Postby Freddy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:12 am

So the past week I really noticed that weighing in each day helps out a lot. Every day I ate something wrong, the next morning it shows on the scale dial. In a way it's quite discouraging to me, but I just want to get rid of the weight, so I hang on. Yesterday I hardly ate a thing, and didn't do a thing at all, and still lost .2 kg, so I'm not too worried.

Though, I think stress may be the trigger for me to start grabbing in the cupboard, in search of some chips, cake or any kind of candy. Looks like I found out I'm an emotional eater. Don't like that though...
Freddy

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:05 am

Hi Fred,
Sounds like you’re on the weight loss track, Good Work. I've just finished the first week of my renewed weight loss walk myself. I went from 106kg-85k...BUT...got complacent and soon put another 6kg back on.

I've lost a KG and seem to be heading in the right directions again...HOWEVER...getting back into the exercise has not been as easy as it was before I stopped! Your plan sounds good about the exercise...but just like the eating habits, it's going to take a bit of effort too. I wish you the best of luck with that. I just got myself back to running for 25minutes 5-6 Days a week and will SLOWLY build on that. I've got some work coming up, so will have to keep the exercise a Mild but Consistent thing.

Good luck with it Fred...I hope your able to adjust to your exercise routine without too much trouble. :roll:
Later
Dave
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Postby Lexi213 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:22 am

Hey Freddy! Was good hearing from you, are you exercising now? Or are you still DIYing? How is that going? Obviously helping you with the weight loss!!! Stay on goal won't you?! I hope that we both can! Do you drink soft drink at all? Is that meant to be bad for weight loss or not an issue? I only have the diet stuff, cause the ordinary stuff doesn't mix with the diabetes. Lol Hope to hear from you again soon! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w52Zych/]
[/url]
Lexi213

Next

Return to Personal Progress