It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:24 am

Free Newsletter

Program motivation?

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Program motivation?

Postby Ally147 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:54 pm

Well,

I've come to a little bit of a motivational stand still :( . I was soaking in the tub tonight (i seem to do a lot of thinking while relaxing, while reading my slimming and health magazine haha) and despite losing about 1.5-2 kg, i still don't feel any better. I look at myself in the mirror and my eyes go straight to the faults i feel my body has :? .
I got out and i've set a few mini goals... I thought i'd share them so that maybe people can help me to stay focussed????

Ok im giving myself a month to lose 4kg.... thats one kg a week so its healthy....

By Dec 6th i would like to be down to 65kg
By Dec 13th i would like to be down to 64kg
By Dec 20th i would like to be down to 63kg
and finally by 27th Dec i would like to be down to 62kg

I would really really like if people would (if they want) offer their advice to keep me motivated to finally achieve my goals... I'd like for the first time in a long long time to look at my body and be happy!!

I can't wait to hear from u guys
Ally
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIbKc5e/]
[/url]
Ally147

Re: Program motivation?

Postby mumnbub » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:00 am

Sit down and force yourself to write a list of things you like about yourself, does not have to be looks, could be your personality- anything you like! Dont move until you have a list at least 10 points long. Belive me when your done you will feel better about yourself.

Also, you should not tell yourself you must lose 1kg a week as you might end up not losing that and be depressed by it. Instead aim for smaller amounts like between 500g and 1kg- that way if you lose say 700g you wont be disapointed, and if you do lose that 1kg you will feel fantastic.

Good luck :)
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:31 pm

I agree with Mumnbub, it's better to aim for smaller losses when you're that close to your goal. The last few kilos really are the hardest to lose and you don't want to set yourself up for disappointment if you're already worrying about losing motivation!

Have you tried creative visualisation? Each night before bed relax, meditate and see yourself thin and happy. See yourself doing all the things you want to do when you lose that weight. See yourself wearing the clothes you want to wear. Step into that new body and feel how it feels to be thin. Feel happy with yourself and being thin. Programming your mind into thinking you're already thin can help alter your habits to those of a thin person. And you'll constantly be reminding yourself of why you're doing this!

Put pictures of yourself at goal weight around the house where you can see them. If you don't have photos of yourself at goal weight maybe put up pictures of others who have the figure you're aiming for. Or get someone to photoshop your photos so you can see what you'll look like when you get to goal.

Good luck! I know you can get there!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Ally147 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:06 pm

Thanks so much guys.... I know its a bit goal and i'll try not to get disappointed if i don't succeed... But i will try the visualisation things!!

Also can someone tell me how i get the weight loss tracker into my msgs????
[/url]
Ally147

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:16 pm

No worries! There are instructions for adding a ticker to your signature here.

If you have any problems with it just shout. :D
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Ally147 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:14 pm

Yay it worked... Thanks a lot for that...

Does anyone know how many calories would be in a small slice of a packet chocolate cake?? Its my Dad's birthday today and im trying to count up my calories so i can perhaps still have some cake.

Thanks muchly
[/url]
Ally147

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:54 pm

Have you checked out Calorie King? I find it really useful for looking up caloric values. Even better, it's an Australian site so they have most of our local brands listed there. It makes it easier to get an exact calorie value for stuff!

Here is a link to their list of different chocolate cakes. Just see if you can find the particular type you had and click on it for its nutritional content. There's a drop-down menu where you can then select the size of your serving to see how many calories it contains.

One slice of generic chocolate cake, no icing, is 368 calories (1537 kilojoules). For a small slice you could halve that.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Ally147 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:02 pm

368 calories??? Oh god, even half of that is a lot for the size of the piece you have... its not fair that all nice food is so bad for my hips lol.

I've come to stay at my parents place for about 2 weeks and i've been told the exercise bike is under the house, i think i should go get it out and give it a thrashing!!
[/url]
Ally147

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:13 pm

That's what I love about Calorie King. So often I'll think "Bah, one packet of chips won't hurt". Then I look it up in CK and see exactly how much it will hurt! I find counting calories is great provided you check things out in advance. If it's just damage control after the fact it can become a bit depressing.

You can use Calorie King to check out how many calories you'll burn doing exercise, too. With normal cycling it will take you 45 minutes at 17kph to burn off 330 calories. That better be one fantastic slice of chocolate cake for all that effort! :lol:

I read some advice somewhere of the 'Three Spoon Rule'. The theory is that when we're eating a treat we enjoy the first and last spoonful the most. Therefore we really need no more than three spoonfuls to truly enjoy it. And Weight Watchers always used to say that when you eat something high in calories it should be for enjoyment, not to fill you up. And because it's just for enjoyment savouring one spoonful for thirty seconds provides just as much pleasure as shoveling half the cake into your gob in the same period of time. Paul McKenna's book 'I Can Make You Thin' echoes this, pointing out that you would actually get more pleasure in savouring that one spoonful because you are concentrating on the sensory pleasure it gives you and appreciating it more.

So maybe the answer is not a small slice, but only three spoonfuls. It's worth a try anyway! (Provided you know you can stop at three spoons of course) :wink:

Just make sure you savour it and really enjoy it!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Ally147 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:23 pm

I am a member of calorie king but i always find i log in here instead.. I have a fat and calorie counter book... maybe i should start recording how much i am having...

Thanks so much for that, the 3 spoonfuls sounds like the way to go... coz 45 mins exercise bike does not seem fair for one piece of cake haha..
[/url]
Ally147

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:33 pm

If you're keen to do 45 minutes of cycling anyway then there's no harm, in fact the cake could be beneficial. Eating your recommended daily calories and then having some chocolate cake on top of that balances out a bit more. You don't want to eat your minimum recommended calories and then exercise like a lunatic. That creates too large a calorie deficit and can put you into starvation mode (below 1200 calories per day over an extended period of time), making it harder for you to lose weight. So in that case I'd personally recommend having a few extra snacks to fuel your exercise and make sure you're still ending up with a safe net amount of calories at the end of the day. I don't want to be seen to be encouraging orthorexia where all treats are absolutely forbidden!

Of course if you're lazy... *cough*... I mean busy like me then you don't want to exercise like a lunatic anyway and it's just easier to avoid the chocolate cake! :lol:

You don't want to start getting obsessed with the calories. That's when you start eating dangerously small amouts of food and exercising far too much. It's better to use calorie counting to ensure you're getting a healthy amount of calories with a good supply of nutrients. Losing weight in a healthy manner is far more important than just losing weight!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Ally147 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:43 pm

Thanks so much for that... I shall count up my calories for today and see what i have to spare
[/url]
Ally147

Return to Personal Progress