It is currently Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:48 am

Free Newsletter

milkyway redux

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

milkyway redux

Postby milkyway » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:03 pm

Hello beautiful beautiful people! It's been too long since I joined in discussions on this forum.

I've been reading all about your progress over the past few months and i've never been too far away, but I was not participating for two reasons - I've been busy (& who hasn't? no excuse!) And secondly, and the probably the biggest reason,I fell off the wagon in a big way and if I was participating in the forum I would've had to acknowledge it rather than bury my head in the sand and wait until my pants don't fit me anymore before being forced to acknowleding it :P

Last July I was the fittest I've ever been. I was running heaps until I injured my achillies. I'm still recovering from it and managing it and am just about ready to test it again - the last few times I've 'tested' it (ie going for a light jog) I've been in considerable pain the following day but my accupuncturist and I think it's good to go again. Yay!

It's really hard to get motivated to 'start' again when I was so fit and have slid sooo far backwards, but I've got to start somewhere, right?

I haven't been too bad - at first I was so angry with myself for getting injured (and yes, it was my pigheadedness that got the injury - I didn't stop when I should have) that I hit the bottle and blocks of chocolate with avengence. I knew that was doing my body any favours so I joined a gym near work and was going there about 3 times per week to keep up my strength training and do non-impact training - I was doing personal training for a few months and didn't want to lose the gains that I'd made in the strength dept. But my work moved recently and there are no gyms in the area within about 2kms (too hard to get to on a lunch break) but I've just seen a great deal near home so I'll look into that next week - I'm on holidays until Jan 5. Yay!

Needless to say, my marathon goal for 2008 went out the window and yeah, I was pretty cut about it. But 2009 is a new year. I love a fresh start.

The past two+ weeks have been totally decadent (but a lot of fun! :P) - too much food, alcohol and too little sleep and exercise.

So here I am, the ultimate yo-yo 'dieter' - bigger than when I first started my journey in 2006 and waaay bigger than the 68kg I was comfortably maintaining mid year, but ready to tackle this weightloss beast with everything I've got. I don't do things well by halves - it's all or nothing. So the month of Jan will be a complete detox for me - no alcohol, no refined sugar and no pepsi max. I'm doing a specific detox program with supplements, just eating healthy, natural (or as close to natural) food. I've made a veggie patch in the backyard and I'm waiting for harvest time. I've already harvested beetroot and it's been prepared and is in the fridge. Yum yum. I'm going to set up a challenge for the January Detox in the Challenge forum and I hope some people will join me. Wish me well!

My accupuncturist/chinese medicine doc says that my body isn't healing itself because it doesn't have any reserve energy. I need to build up those stores by eating and sleeping well, and not being so hardcore about exercise - that's the hard one. Funny thing is, exercise is not the problem for me cos I love it, it's my addiction to sugar and the constant need to stop the sugar crash cycle that is doing me harm, as is alcohol. It's not just the empty calories consumed in a bottle of wine, it's what I eat with it and what I eat in 'recovery' mode that's doing the damage. I'm sick of waking up feeling dreadful from too eating too much food and drinking too much wine. I want to feel good again - fit and strong.

Starting weight: 74.3kg
Goal weight: 62kgs
First goal: get under 70kgs by the end of Jan.

I will be accountable and y'all can hold me to that :mrgreen:

Ah, it's good to be back :D
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Re: milkyway redux

Postby Jisgone » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:07 pm

welcome back :)

ive had a very decadent month too, december is a terrible month for weightloss!
i hope your achilles holds up well enough for you to get back into exercising, its so hard to restart when youve fallen off the wagon for a while
ide love a vegie garden :) once weve put in our driveway i might think about adding a vegie garden in somewhere when we design the garden, do you have to be a good gardener to keep things alive? im not a green thumb but i can water things haha

ill hold you accountable! if you misbehave ill find out where u live and hunt u down haha
Jisgone

Postby milkyway » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:07 pm

You sound like me Jewles - I too can hold a watering can :P I'm not a green thumb at all - just got parents & friends and colleagues who garden a lot who have given me loads of advice. I really just planted the seedlings and watered them twice per week when I was allowed (damn stage 4 water restrictions!) but fortunately we've had a lot of good rain since I planted them in late October/early Nov. I also collect water when washing veggies etc. to supplment on the no watering days and we have a grey water recycling pump from the shower that we alternate on the front garden and veggie patch.
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Ambryi » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Hi Milkyway,

I responded to your thread in the Challenges section already, but I just have to say that was such an invigorating post! If it wasn't for the fact that I'm posting from work I'd grab my runners and try out this 'exercise' that you speak of for myself :lol:

Anyway, you sound very determined and I don't doubt you will have a successful year :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wtMIPOZ/]
Ambryi

Postby milkyway » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:38 pm

Great to see there are a few takers for the January Detox Challenge :D

I'm off doing an overnight hike tomorrow. Can't wait. Simultaneously excited and a bit scared. I've not done the whole overnight thing with a big pack carrying enough food and water for days, a tent, sleeping bag, thermarest, change of clothes etc. I just hope it all goes well and we don't get lost!!! If you don't hear from me Tuesday night, send out a search party :P
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby milkyway » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:27 pm

I'm ba-ack - a little earlier than anticipated. Lost? Ummm... well I'm not sure if you're technically 'lost' if you don't know you're lost ... until you find out you're so off course you're almost back at the car rather than nearing your overnight campsite hahaha :oops:

So ... that was a 17.5km detour with about 15kgs of water, gear and food on my back all for nothing. Would've been a grand day out with just a day pack. Not quite what I'd intended. Oh well... I just hope hubby will be brave enough to venture out with me again and my excellent map reading and navigation skills :P
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Mandie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:01 pm

Good to see you back :)

I've been a bit AWOL lately with work being pretty busy and falling off the wagon in a mega-way (haven't we all? stupid December!) but will be back and ready for action in January.

Pity about the overnight camping trip! Maybe you need to practice your navigating skills closer to home a bit longer - or ask hubby to buy you a GPS!
Mandie

Postby whit3tig3y » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:49 am

Getting lost is the whole fun of it! Atleast you know now not to go that way again lol. GPS certainly sounds like a good idea :)

We all fall off the wagon. The last few months have been HORRIBLE for me, but it takes courage to pick ourselves up again and admit to what we've done (and eaten). Thats the main thing :) As long as we can get back into it, everything will be OK! :P
SW: 139.3kg - 01/01/2012
CW: 136.8kg - 08/01/2012
Goal: 60kg

whit3tig3y

Postby Alexandra » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:04 am

Glad you're back...and with motivation with a capital M....gee, where do you buy that from? :D
Good luck with your kick-ass goals in 2009 (and your achillies thingie-ma-bob problem) ouch....
Alexandra
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby milkyway » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:44 pm

So far so good.

Did a weights workout yesterday, first one in about 3 weeks (yikes! :oops: ) and I'm feeling pretty sore from it today. Then we walked the dogs for about 30 mins.

We went for a 10km hike this morning in the Brisbane Ranges. It was devastated by the 2006 fires so it's cool to see everything growing back.

Eating has been really good the past three days. I have a low level headache which I think is probably from mild caffeine withdrawl. I'll just keep drinking heaps of water.

Back to work on monday so I'll start a cook fest this evening so I've got lots of healthy lunches and snacks on hand and won't be tempted to eat anything I shouldn't just because I'm hungry.

My achillies is doing really well - not a peep out of it today and it didn't give me any grief after Monday's big hike. So I think I'll be ready to take it for a test run tomorrow. Then I'll know for sure if it's just running that's sustaining the injury.
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby milkyway » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:01 pm

I've just come back from my first run of the year and first 'proper' run for months :D Felt sooo good, I got goosebumps despite the heat. I only ran 3km and a long way from where I was last July, but it's a start. I am glad my lungs held out and my achillies didn't give me any trouble - tomorrow will tell the true story though. It was my body that was getting a bit tired, but as I shift the weight and fuel my body properly, I'm sure it will only get easier. Did a 500m warm up walk and 500m cool down walk, so 4km in total.

whoohoo!!! :D :D :D
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kelvinator » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:26 pm

WOW- congratulations. I definitely can't run like that-although over the years I have slowly got better.
Well done on starting, good luck tomorrow with the achilles recovering-will be interesting to hear how it is going.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woAh7b6/]
[/url]
kelvinator

Postby Alexandra » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:17 am

wow :shock: Good news on the body holding up :D Try not to focus on where you were, just what you achieved in the present...I'm amazed and totally inspired...my benchmark is a 45 minute walk around the block so it's all relative :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby candycane » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Oh milky :) good to see u back - not so cool about the weight gain but with injuries it's kind of expected. I have a couple of gfs who have done their backs and both have put on weight too :( its uncool not being able to exercise when ur at the peak of ur fitness level.

I must say you inspired me with your marathons before and you still inspire me today! I need to start running as well :) i should say 'i comit to running tomorrow' rather then i need to start hey?

I love that your gardening. i think i should start something like that :) i saw a program about harvesting your own veggie patch the other day the man said 2 hours a week for the plot was all that was needed :) my bf's dad grows tomatos and herbs out of pots. Surely it would be less expensive then buying it plus tastier and free of pesticides. Any tips?

What detox are u on eactly? I'm a massive advocate of clean eating - foods not packaged etc. I will use my last week of holidays to get into the swing of it :)

keep up the great work gf. xx
Goal: 65-67 kg <-------Ultimate Goal:
For now? No weighing for a few weeks...
candycane

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:44 pm

Great to hear you've started running again, and even better to hear how much you're enjoying it! It's great to have you back. I'm looking forward to reading about your progress again. Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Next

Return to Personal Progress