It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:09 am

Free Newsletter

Kelvinator's Updates.

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Kelvinator's Updates.

Postby kelvinator » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:49 pm

Kelvinator reporting!
This is day four for me, last night and yesterday were interesting but managed to stay below 2000 calories. I am aiming to get as close to 1200 as possible (not exercising yet-just so hot)
I am tracking myself using the calorie king book-this has worked for me in the past and I find the online version a bit taxing. What I DO like however, is the way the online one calculates your calories from carbs, fat etc. A lot easier than doing it manually from the book. I think I'll try to input my eating once a wk or f/n just to make sure I am on the right track there.
Salads still don't interest me, and I don't think they ever will. Tonight I tried putting in some champignons and sun-dried tomatoes and gherkins but it still tasted like salad-it's one of those things that I know are excellent for me and I have to get to like.... any suggestions?
I feel positive about 2009 being the year I finally get to and maintain my goal weight, for more than what I have done in the past (I maintained my GW for about 3months in the past before it started creeping up)
Good luck everyone-great to see so many newbies on here... it's a new year and a new us!

SW: 70 ish kilos
GW: 60 ish kilos

68kgs by valentines 09.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woAh7b6/]
[/url]
kelvinator

Re: Kelvinator's Updates.

Postby kelvinator » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:25 pm

Very Happy with yesterdays efforts, today not so good. Trying to resist the biscotti that I just made (although there are worse things lurking in the cupboard- I see you Pringles!)
Will try to have a light dinner, roast chook, staying away from the skin & stuffing. Lotsa water still needed, under a litre so far today.
[/url]
kelvinator

Postby Alexandra » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:17 am

Good luck with your goals....
I'd have to get rid of the pringles in the cupboard..in fact, I'd have to get rid of everything tempting...sorry, can't really help you with the salad suggestions..I love it actually...that's not helpful, is it. Have you tried the low fat / low calorie taste disguises like balsamic vinegar dressing, lemon juice, or ones you can buy? Thats how I get my husband to eat it. I also avoid the things he really hates. For example, he hates cucumber but he can cope with tomato. Best wishes for 2009, Alexandra
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby kelvinator » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:30 am

Sunday is weigh-in day for me.
SW was 70.9kg, with a height of 5'2'' this is still overweight.
TW: 70.2kg, loss of 0.7kg! This is a lot for me as I tend to only lose about .4kg per week. Will report later on what I have been eating, after today I have been counting calories for 7 days so my weigh in is a bit early this week which is fine for Wk 1.
[/url]
kelvinator

Postby kelvinator » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:43 pm

I thought that I would post a little about where I have come from and why I am here- BEWARE- could be a long post ahead.

Rewind 9 yrs ago, I was 19 and had reached the highest weight that I had ever been, I was about 75kg. This was at uni, campus kilos I like to call them. Lost a lot of it in the last year of uni, by going to weight watchers, I think I got down to 62.5kg.

Starting work (teacher) and the lolly jar was never far away, the canteen always had something nice and for the first two years I was driving an hour to and from work. All of this, plus only a little exercise made me gain it back.

6 years ago, met a lovely man, lost the weight again, got down to 61kg, went to the only wedding that I have ever been to and still think that I looked great in the photo's.

Weight slowly crept back up to over 70kgs, but this time I was in for a an even bigger change in my lifestyle, I moved overseas for a year by myself to work. I took a year off on unpaid leave and packed up all of my belongings to teach in an international school in Korea of all places. I arrived there August 2006 and discovered that if you weren't a drinker or a partier, there wasn't a lot to do. SO I go serious-I had taken all my WW books with me as well as a Calorie King counter book that I picked up a few days before I left.
I knew that I would be back in Australia Xmas 06 so I worked my a*se off over there, writing down everything, reading blogs, going to the gym (free plus a 2 min walk from my apartment) and I lost all the weight and more, for the first time since Year 12, I got down to under 60kgs, I looked smokin! Came back for xmas so motivated to maintain that I went and asked at gyms about their casual rates-being on the Gold Coast I was up for $15 a session-nup I thought, I will walk everyday instead... this didn't happen.

I think I was about 61kg when I went back. I was so very lonely over there. Long distance relationships really stink sometimes. I was hanging out for my Mum to arrive Easter 07. When she was there, I was about 65kgs, still exercising a little but i has discovered 50c cornettos! WOO. I started eating anything that was cheap and nasty, like donuts in town, hot chocolates with cream and loads of other sweets.

I left Korea August 07 at about 68kgs.
As soon as I got back, I went back to work-at a place that I hated-and put on a few more.
I bought a block of land, partner and I built a house and started a new job at a place that I LOVE! Teaching a year level that I ADORE. There were a few wake=up call times in 2008, mainly going on camp with the class and seeing myself in photo's, reminiscing about how lovely I looked a few Christmas's ago and had a lot of self-doubt.

I struggled for months to start this, I really hated myself for letting myself go but I have let that go. It's all part of life, I come from such a tight-knit family that most of my eating was emotional, due to homesickness.

So here I am, I am rejuvinated, in my own home with the boy, with my own timetable to follow and in a job that respects what I do. 2009 is really looking up. I do still have some demons that come and visit me, and I try to deal with them as they occur. I'm not sure that I can get under 60kgs, it's really a magic number for me, I know that I look great under it, perfect weight for my height but my body really resists it. I had to work HARD to get there in Korea, with everything at my fingertips so this time will be interesting.

Another thing that I think caused me to put it back on overseas was lack of encouragement, the staff there didn't notice or make comment like my family would have, I had no one in my corner cheering me on... it really hurt.

Trying to stick to 1200-1400 calories per day, CK says 1440 but I know I can easily get under that. I think when I start exercising again (have an ankle injury that doesn't seem to be getting better) then I will up it to 1400-1500. We shall see. Happy with week one, thanks for reading.
[/url]
kelvinator

Postby milkyway » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:21 pm

Were those 50c cornettos 'goo goo' icecreams? I adored those. Hottuk was another fave. And ddeokbokki. I lived in Korea from 2001 - 2004 and have been back once since. Sometimes I really miss living there but wouldn't want to teach again. It was hard in so many ways and I totally understand the homesickness factor. But what a wicked experience, eh? Where did you live? I lived in Pohang (SE coast) and in Seoul (near Jamsil). I did a lot of travel and partied HARD while I was there. I'm still friends via Facebook with people I lived with, worked with or played with all those years ago.

You've had a lot of unsettled times in the past year or two, but it sounds like you're in a good place right now and ready to lose the weight for good. Don't put too much emphasis on the number - wait until you get close to 60kg and see how you feel. My original goal was 59kg which I maintained before and while in Korea (until I quit smoking) but with all the weight training I do, I think I might look too sknny at 59kgs so I've set 62kg as my goal and will reassess when I get there.

What happened to you ankle?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby milkyway » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:28 pm

PS Congrats on your 700g weightloss this week - off to a great start :)
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kelvinator » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:52 pm

We have more in common than what I thought! I was on Geoji-Si (Koje- Do) an island in the south, was an hour on the ferry from our island across to Busan.
I rolled my ankle about 12 weeks ago while playing tennis (was just getting back into it too) stopped doing anything on it, and then 6 weeks later did the same thing while stepping down a huge gutter in Byron Bay-I cried and cried because I knew that it was another set back. I have tried all the ankle braces around but strapping it myself is the only way to ensure that it's stable for walking etc. Planning on a big walk tonight, so we shall see about the pain factor then.

I think the ice-creams were in fact called Goo Goo's-I loved them as well as those chocolate covered coffee flavoured ones, they do the best coffee ice-cream out!
[/url]
kelvinator

Postby Alexandra » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:12 am

Hey, 700g, well done - great work for the first week :D Sounds like you have all the tools you need to succeed! Best of luck, Alexandra
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby NewYear NewMe » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:10 pm

Hey Kelvinator

Its NYNM - What a fantastic story, you really have been through alot, It was nice to know about you, and the reasons why we here. Congrats on the 700g loss - thats great . Every lose is a gain
I wish you all the best ,and i look forward to seeing your end Result

:D
Keep Smiling

xox NYNM xox
NewYear NewMe

Postby Ambryi » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:43 pm

Hey Kelvinator,

Nice intro! Teaching in Korea sounds interesting to say the least :)

Regarding your comments about salad, I hear someone say every now and then that they hate it, but really salad can be whatever you want and so there isn't any reason not to like it!! If the usual lettuce/tomato combo doesn't do it for you try another tack. Creamy salad dressings and other 'extras' (ie, croutons, cashews, meats) make it more filling and flavorsome as well. I eat salad for lunch most days while at work, we have a salad bar called Sprout nearby where I buy it from. Can get a little pricey to eat all the time, but if you have that or something similar near you, you can try out a few things from their menu. It gives you an idea of what you like and you can try your hand at recreating it at home.

Sounds like your weightloss is off to a good start, all the best for the year :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wtMIPOZ/]
Ambryi

Postby kelvinator » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:50 pm

Guys thanks for your messages, they really keep my going!
As mentioned in another thread I have been rather moody with this no sugar thing but I can't seem to shake a coffee a day. Going to buy some decaff next shop-any recommendations for a good one?
I still haven't started exercising and today is day 9 for me. I can go to a trainer in the morning but I'm still on holidays and it's at 5.30am in the morning. We are very lucky as the gold coast city council subsidises a lot of fitness activities so the personal trainers can put on classes at a discounted rate. I pay $2 a session, nice and cheap and within budget-so that's not an excuse that I can use. Usually we do weight training on Monday and Friday, legs one day and arms the other. The other 3 days are cardio mixed with weights, chin-ups, burpees, rower, elliptical etc. I enjoy it and the trainer is a lovely lady.
I will report back tomorrow as to whether or not I got up with the sun.. :roll:
[/url]
kelvinator

Postby milkyway » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:28 pm

$2 per session? That's incredible. Or is that meant to be $20??? If not, wow, Iam so jealous.

Can't make any recommendations on the decaf - I don't drink coffee. How much longer are you on holidays for?
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kelvinator » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:31 pm

No no you heard right, $2 per session.
I;m heading back to the grind a bit earlier than other teachers, 14th of Jan. Was just asking the boy what I should do to fill up the next few days.... without filling up on FOOD!
[/url]
kelvinator

Postby kelvinator » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:45 pm

Well I didn't get to the trainer but i did go for an 80min walk (with a sweaty pit stop at Gloria Jeans at half way) was really hot out there, happy to be home now and even more happy that the exercise has started...
[/url]
kelvinator

Next

Return to Personal Progress