It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:11 pm

Free Newsletter

John's progress

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

John's progress

Postby John » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:59 pm

I thought I might as well have a little progress record here, which I might post to two or three times a week.
Today is Valentines day (also known as Single Awareness Day) and B and I were going out to watch He's just not that into you but B decided that she was too tired so I'm staying in today.

I have a reward/penalty oriented weight loss system - I'm allowed to go to the cinema/rent a dvd/buy coffee at the supermarket but only when I am at the lowest weight since my maximum. This is a good system because I am always looking towards the next week in terms of weight loss, and if there are problems, I can go weeks without abandoning my system.

Today I have to admit I've not eaten well. B gave me chocolates today, and I forgot that I had stopped eating non-white chocolate about a week ago. So I'd eaten about 3/4 of the chocolates before I remembered about my new eating rule. I'll put the chocolates out of reach somewhere, the question is where can I put them? The safest thing is to either mail them to my father (unlikely) or just throw them away. I'm not crazy about throwing away gifts but I really need to stick to rules, I have a general lack of willpower and often do things (not related to losing weight) half-heartedly so this has to be one rule that I try and stick to. It looks like Easter will be a bit of an issue as well. I also ate quite a bit of fruit, and I'm supposed to be doing low carb/high protein, but I haven't had any protein today (I could go months without eating meat easily).

I've got rewards for each kilogram lost, the biggie is going to Brisbane when I reach goal! (I'm living in Christchurch). I've never been out of the country, so I'm really looking forward to that. There are many other rewards planned, I'll fill you in with them as time goes on.
Heaviest weight: 94kg
Goal weight 66kg
John

Re: John's progress

Postby John » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:04 pm

I just 'lent' B 4 chocolates, which she'll give back at goal. Problem solved.
Goal weight 66kg
John

Postby mumnbub » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:17 pm

John wrote:I have a reward/penalty oriented weight loss system - I'm allowed to go to the cinema/rent a dvd/buy coffee at the supermarket but only when I am at the lowest weight since my maximum. This is a good system because I am always looking towards the next week in terms of weight loss, and if there are problems, I can go weeks without abandoning my system.

It might just be because I have been up since 4am so am tired but I dont understand what you mean when you say ..."only when I am at the lowest weight since my maximum." Just interested in knowing more about your reward/penalty system.

Good luck with everything, make sure you let us all know how its all going
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby John » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:01 am

mumnbub wrote:
John wrote:I have a reward/penalty oriented weight loss system - I'm allowed to go to the cinema/rent a dvd/buy coffee at the supermarket but only when I am at the lowest weight since my maximum. This is a good system because I am always looking towards the next week in terms of weight loss, and if there are problems, I can go weeks without abandoning my system.

It might just be because I have been up since 4am so am tired but I dont understand what you mean when you say ..."only when I am at the lowest weight since my maximum." Just interested in knowing more about your reward/penalty system.

I weigh almost every day so I know what my weight is pretty much all the time. Suppose I weigh one day and I'm 80.5kg, a new low. Then I put on weight. I'm not allowed to do the above things until I'm less than 80.5kg. The good thing about this system is that I can actually go without them for weeks/months if I had to, so I can still keep true to the plan. I chose those things because I enjoy them, they're regular things and I can do without them.
Goal weight 66kg
John

Postby John » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:09 am

Oh how I wish that this board allowed me to edit posts. I realised that maybe I didn't fully answer your question, the "...since my maximum" is there to allow a reference point. Since I have been at goal in the past, all my weights at the moment are higher than a previous weight, so maybe I'm not allowed any rewards. So I put that bit in to formally state when I am allowed to have the rewards (I study mathematics, there is a lot of this formal statement of rules, probably where I got the idea from) if I'm lower than what I was at a specific date.
Goal weight 66kg
John

Postby mumnbub » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:14 am

ok.... still does not make much sence to be but Im not the one it needs to make sence for- if it works for you then good on you for finding something to keep you motivated.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby John » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:06 am

Well it's been 12 days, which usually is not a good sign. Although I did have a birthday on the 20th. Anyway, I reconfigured my motivation somewhat, I've decided to go swimming and see a film weekly but only if I've lost weight in the previous week. Monday is the swim, Thursday is the film. I've started doing push ups, to make me feel good about my body, something that I've got issues about, especially as I lose weight, since I feel that B is not keen on me losing weight. She made a comment about some guy on television who I will probably be about the same weight as when I'm at goal, and she called him "weedy" however I stumpled across a website composed of 99% women, and people were comparing him with his friend, saying that he was attractive, so I know that yes, women should find me attractive at goal.
Goal weight 66kg
John

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:13 am

How are you feeling about your weight loss journey so far, John? Are you enjoying eating healthier foods? Are you finding yourself looking forward to exercise? I think going to the movies as a reward for weight loss is a great idea (provided you can resist the snack counter!) I'm not sure about swimming being a reward, though. As exercise wouldn't it be even more important to go swimming if you haven't achieved a new low weight point in the last week? Or are you trying to associate exercise with rewards so that you look forward to it more?

I think it's great to reward new low weight points. It makes sense to me, but I could never implement it. My weight fluctuates so much I'd only ever get rewards once per month if that!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby John » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:58 pm

Hi EvilWombat woman, I just do the things I enjoy when I lose weight, when I go swimming I don't do lengths, I just enjoy myself. As for the foods, well, I'm experimenting with that, I'm trying out high protein (100g a day) and taking it from there. I'll be exercising, but not for weight loss, but for improved sleep.
Goal weight 66kg
John

Return to Personal Progress