It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:28 am

Free Newsletter

FunStoppers Journey...Journal

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

FunStoppers Journey...Journal

Postby funstopper » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:31 pm

Well, I won't introduce myself again I've done that in the Introductions section and I've started a thread for my weekly weigh ins but here I thought I would start a journal to track my journey, progress, thoughts and feelings and although I am doing this for myself if you want to read along and follow me, please do...the more the merrier.

Today was the start and so far so good, believe it or not any other time I have tried to change my life and begin some similar such journey it is nearly always the first day when I give up, around lunch time. But not today, I am determined. Usually it is my lack of finances that ruins me, I always think I need money to buy replacement meals or to join the gym and thats why I give up, that or I convince myself that I just don't have time. This time I have sat down and really thought about it and I have found some unique ways to over come this. For example;

I have decide to only buy 1 litre of milk at a time, that way I have to go down the street to the shop and buy milk most days and while I was at it I have switched to low fat milk, except for the kiddies. We have actually not long returned from one such walk, needed milk so we walked down the shop but instead of just going there, getting the milk and home (we live in a small town so its not that far to the shop, only 3 blocks) with my 3 year old on her bike and 8 month old in the pram ready for a nap we headed off and walked down to our local footy oval, round it twice and then stopped for a play on the playground. Then we headed home stopping at the shop for the milk on the way.

This morning I had a forage around the back yard for things I can use to help on my quest and I found a brick that was virtually broken dead set in half, then not quite knowing why that took my interest I said down on the steps leading up to the decking of our back verandah when it hit me like a mack truck...with new found weights (aka bricks) in hand I used the steps and did a continuous 5 minutes of stepping up and down. Then whilst walking on the spot I used the bricks as weights doing some simple side arm raises, bicep curls and then sat on edge of verandah and did some tricep extensions too (make mental note to search on net after for some more similar such exercises and make sure I was doing them correctly). Who needs a gym, however I do think I will invest in a fit ball when I get some spare money, I have read a few comments on here from ppl that say they are great for sit ups.

I have also found an old skipping rope, god only knows where it came from...I probably bought it some time in the past when I was going to get fit. I tried doing a few skips but it was difficult cos of the sheer size I am but I figure some is better than none and I have hung it on a hook out the back with my bricks on the decking underneath so I will keep trying, I was able to skip for about 30 secs continuously today, so I will build on that.

On the food side of things, brekky was pretty good - 30g quick oats, a cup of tea and a small banana. Lunch consisted of a piece of bread with no spread a cup of soup - beef and veg, two glasses of water and a mandarin and right now I am snacking on an apple. Dinner is going to be roast chicken, skin off (I'll have some breast...hubby and the kids can have the thigh and legs), boiled potatos, carrot, peas and corn on the cob (without the lashings of butter and salt). Not sure of the calorie content of all that but it is a lot better and healthier than i would usually eat in a day, I will have to do some more research on the net as to eating plans, calorie intake etc etc (making mental note to do so tonight after the kiddies have hit the hay). I can't believe I have never thought of researching these things on the net before or joining a forum such as this one.

Anyway off to watch Hi-5 with the kids and then bring in the washing.

Cheers
FunStopper
Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did

funstopper

Re: FunStoppers Journey...Journal

Postby Shalimar » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:43 pm

Good on you FS for making a start, when I started I was 175 kilos and my exercise, at first, consisted of me walking up and down my hallway with a cd cranked :wink: .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby funstopper » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:33 pm

Well now, there's a great idea, we have quite a long hallway so I could do that too, although jumping around the lounge room dancing along with my 3 year old to Hi-5 was much more fun. I was pooped by the time the half hour was up.
FunStopper
Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did

funstopper

Postby Julz » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Good work FS, the first step is sometimes the hardest. Its great you have managed to find a way to exercise without going out spending a heap of money on equipment or gym memberships. I'm glad you mentioned the skipping rope, its reminded me that we have one laying around here, it will be great for me to throw that in the mix.

I also have a 3 yr old and it can sometimes be hard to find time for yourself so I'd love to share workout ideas with you. Most of my exercise I do at night when my sons in bed but any ideas for exercise I can do with him would be great. I have been putting on exercise dvds and my little boy has been joining in next to me, I don't know which one of us looks funnier! Maybe we can share some kid friendly healthy meal ideas too?

Good luck on your journey! Julie :)
Julz

Postby funstopper » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:19 pm

Well today wasn't the best day, but wasn't the worst either, did pretty well in the food department and managed to keep myself pretty busy around the house and with the kids so did over eat or eat out of boredom, which is good for me. The exercise department was a different story though, I didn't do any actual active exercise...with everything else going on today and between kids naps and feed times I just didn't manage to squeeze it in, however I could have gone when hubby got home from work but I didn't....now I'm regretting that poor choice of judgement but I get worried that he won't be able to handle the kids while I'm not there and be grumpy when I get back (mental note: have to worry less about how husband will react if I have some me time, 1/2 an hour won't kill him to look after his own kids)

Aside from that I am still feeling quite motivated and positive though, the best part is I haven't found myself obsessing about what the scales will say at the end of the week, which is good for me I usually obsess about it 100%

I need to find a better way of incorporating exercise into my day and involving the kids, I love walking and it would be my exercise of choice but with a 3 year old it is hard, obvioulsy she can't walk at a good pace to make it worth it. She got a bike from Santa at chrissy time and is pretty good on it but i still find I am not able to walk at a brisk enough pace without leaving her behind. Sorry Julz but I'm not much help in the exercising with 3 year olds department...but if I come up with any ideas I'll certainly let you know.

Anyway, I think I will go and have a shower and settle down on the couch with my book for a bit before I hit the hay...this is usually my most difficult time of the day, I like to snack on chips, biscuits, lollies etc anything really while I watch tv in the evenings but tonite I am treating and limiting myself to a can of diet coke and thats it, hopefully I will get so engrossed in my book that I won't give food another thought

Signing of for today and looking forward to the next day in my new life...tomorrow - what will it bring
FunStopper

funstopper

Postby GayleMarie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:25 am

Hello again FS I have left a post on your Journey.....I too have little children, a 3 year old daughter & 9 month old daughter & yes they keep me on my toes. The way I get fit & excercise is, I put music on & dance like a crazy woman (the girls love it). My son (who is 18) has weights & a punching bag set up in our gazebo, I use to use it all the time (& lost alot of weight & an amazing amount of body cm, after having my first daughter) but then I gave up...that's my biggest down fall..consistancy. Well I am doing all that again. And the best thing I can say that I am doing (or my husband is doing for me) is...everyday when he gets home from work he plays with our little girls for an hour & a half, giving me time to have me time...(it sounds selfish I know! but boy has it given me back my sanity & my focus) I am the saught of person who will race around for everyone else all day & by 4 pm realise I havn't even taken my thyroid tablet yet, which should have been taking first thing in the morning, so I really do feel selfish doing this, but It really needs to be done. My husband gets home from work, we have a cuppa & a chat, then he minds the girls & I take the dog for a walk, then come home, finish cooking the tea that I have prepared earlier that my husband put on while I was walking. I am very lucky because my husband is like another mum to the girls, so I know they are as safe & as well looked after with him as if they were with me. In your case let your husband have that time, tell him is his special play time with the kids. He will eventually get use to it, let him know that there is no other option, he has to mind them & suffer in his jocks LOL, I am sure he will surprise you with his supervision skills. Allow yourself time each day to do what you need to do...you will only feel better for it...after... At the start of every walk my first instinct was to find an excuse not to walk then reality kicks in & I do what needs to be, within a couple of min of walking I feel refreshed & focused with the motivation & excitment to keep me on the right track. I also recommend the Wii Fit (compliments of my son), it is awesome...so much fun, I can be on it for an hour & it feels like mins. It records your weight & BMI & progress along the way. I compete against my son all the time. He mostly wins , but he is 18, plays umteen different sports & does weights most nights so he should be better than me. Though I think he lets me win the odd one now & then LOL...
Take care
Love GayleMarie
GayleMarie

Postby funstopper » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:30 pm

Thanks GM, your advice is great, yesterday I put on a music video and my 3 year old and I jumped and danced around the lounge room like crazy people that were possessed while my 8 month old watched on from his jolly jumper laughing his head off. It was fun, and the best part it didn't feel like exercise at the time but I woke up this morning feeling muscles in places I didn't know I had them.

On the downside I have eaten way more than calories than I should have in the past two days, I am starting to worry that the scales will not be nice to me on Tuesday when I weigh in. My biggest problem is that I like to bake and I bake things like pumpkin scones, muffins both savoury and sweet varieties, cakes, slices etc etc then I eat them. Yesterday I made pumpkin scones and pumpkin, bacon and parmesan muffins, I actually convinced myself that they were healthy and true they are healthier than the packet of chips etc that I would normally have had but still high in calories and who can stop at just one.

I was so disappointed in myself, nearly lost it, started thinking whats the point might as well give up and that I will never lose the weight. I was so sad and depressed..that was when I jumped on here and started reading some of the other peoples stories and I realised that tomorrow is another day, I am only just starting out and I know I am going to have teething problems, I have just decided to chalk it up to a learning experience.

Pledge to self - Tomorrow I AM going to get up in the morning and go for a walk, I AM going to stick to my alloted calorie intake and I AM going to drink a minimum of 6 glasses of water.

Well thats my rant and rave for today, feeling a bit disappointed in myself but optimistic and positive about tomorrow
FunStopper

funstopper

Postby funstopper » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:26 pm

Well, a week has gone by since I last posted here and I am feeling so disappointed in myself. I have done hardly any exercise, I've really let myself down. My eating hasn't been too bad but I have some real work to do in the exercise department.

I just can't seem to get my censored together and it is really frustrating me, I get up every morning with the best of intentions then one of the kids wakes up sick or the older one sleeps in and by the time she gets up, has brekky, gets dressed etc etc etc, then its time for the younger one to go down for a nap. Then I get so dejected with the whole situation I find myself wonder whats the bloody point so then instead of getting my censored together and being ready to leave the house as soon as hubby gets home from work I don't do anything, I just sit around watch telly, get on the net or do some other menial housework related task.

To make matters worse although I have had my eating pretty well under control I haven't logged anything on CalorieKing all week and so I don't really know for sure if I am doing ok or not. Have to get myself back in a routine, start doing these things each and every day so as to make them a habit.

I am sitting her saying to myself that I will get up in the morning and go for a walk before the rest of my hectic day starts but I bet I don't...but then again with such a pesimistic outlook like that why would I? I need someone to kick me up the butt and get me going again. I still really want to do this for myself and eat right, do the exercise and loose weight but its just not working for me at the moment, I feel like there isn't enough hours in the day or that the world is working against me.

I know what your thinking...excuses, excuses... and your probably right. I am looking for any reason to blame for my laziness rather than myself and my own lack of discipline and control.

Its time to pick myself up, dust myself off and get back on track, stop being so down on myself and praise myself for the good things I have done and build on that rather than focus on the not so good and the down right bad (like the packet of salt and vinegar chips I had today). Why is we are all so hard on ourselves? Why is it we see the bad and not the good? Why is it that we think about how much more we have to loose rather than how much we have already lost? Why, Why, Why???
FunStopper

funstopper

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:14 am

You asked for it.

I hope you're out of bed and into the exercise this morning!

It's hard when there's other stuff on, but it really is ok to make time for yourself. Get the kids involved. I'm sure they wouldn't mind watching you dance around to an exercise vid or be strapped into a pusher for a walk. Even put some wiggles on and dance around for an hour or so LOL.

We can certainly tell you to get up and do it (by the way GET UP AND DO IT!!!!) but only YOU can actually make the decision to really truly do it.

Exercise is non negotiable. So find something you can bear to do or even enjoy and DO IT
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby funstopper » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:20 pm

Well, I did it. I got up this morning had brekky, got the kids fed, dressed and organised (hubby was in a grumpy and not interested in having the kids while I went) and we went for a big walk. I put my 9 month old in the pram and rugged him up nice and warm, my three year old put on her coat and helmet and jumped on her bike and off we went. We walked together for an hour and 15 minutes, it felt good. Best of all I did it, it might have been at a reduced rate (cos DD is a bit slow on her bike sometimes) but i did feel a bit clamy throughout the walk. I would have like to really pushed it out, worked up a sweat and been puffing a bit but at least I did something.

When I got home I told hubby he needs to stop being so useless and tomorrow morning I am just getting up and going and he will just have to deal with the kids like it or not. Its not that he is useless or anything he just whines and sometimes its easier to just take them with me wherever I go rather than listen to him. The saddest part is he is really overweight too and it wouldn't hurt him to come with us but he won't. I am hoping that by me getting out there and doing it, and watching what I eat I will be able to inspire him into joining me, but if he doesn't thats his loss. I intend on getting myself looking fit and fab with or without him.

Thanks BD for giving me a kick up the butt, I deserved it. Sometimes I do just need someone to shout at me and say "just go already". This arvo I have promised DD we will watch Hi-5 and do some dancing too which she loves to do.

I have come to realise that I need to change my views on exercise, I tend to think that if you aren't at the gym or walking/running seriously then its not exercise. I have to start thinking outside the square and realising that those other things I do are also good exercise, like gardening, dancing with the kids, playing Wii and doing the Wii Fit, its just that these things feel like they are so much fun that they can't possibly be exercise. What I would really like it a treadmill or exercise bike for those cold and wet winter days when it is hard to get out and go for a walk, maybe I'll start saving my pennies for one or look into hiring one.

Anyways, thats it for me today, off to do some baking for hubby's smoko's and the kids (last week I made a honey and oat bar slice, if they only knew how low fat and healthy it was, but I didn't tell them and they ate it all :lol: )
FunStopper

funstopper

Postby funstopper » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:27 pm

Had a great day today, did 1 hour on the WiiFit, went for a walk, was good with what I ate, drank 1.25L of water (thats alot for me) and I even managed to get heaps of housework done and had a big play outside with the kids.

Tomorrow is weigh in day, again this week I am absolutely shitting myself. I am really scared to get on the scales, I haven't done as well this week with the eating and the amount of exercise as I did the first week, but we'll wait and see and if its a gain I'll have to dust myself off and keep going. Thats after I probably have a teary. However, I am thinking positive thoughts, sort of. Any loss is a loss even if its only 100g, thats better than a gain. After the crapola week of very little exercise and not so good eating I'll be happy just to stay the same.

Anyway, I'll be back tomorrow with the results of my weigh in. Good luck to me and everyone else weighing in tomorrow.

:) WE CAN DO IT
FunStopper

funstopper

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:09 am

Good on you for doing some stuff exercise wise!! It is hard when the people around you aren't supportive, but you're the only person in charge of what you do. I very clever person (can't remember his name, but the crazy bugger ran all the way round the coastline of Aus, Tas included) once said "If you really want to do something in your heart of hearts, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find excuses". And I think that's so true. Sure there are going to be obstacles like injuries, big poo head people making our life hell, rain, illness etc. If we let them be excuses they WILL stop us, but if we really really want to do it, we'll find a way round them. :wink:

By the way, I bet the kids loved being out with you! 1.5 hours on a bike is a great effort for your DD!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby funstopper » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:17 am

Well, haven't posted here for a while and thought I would just quickly share my journey updates.

I've lost a total of 4.8kg now since I started a little over 4 weeks ago, I've had my ups and downs but on the whole I am feeling very proud of myself.

However, the motivation is starting to slip away. I am still fiercely determined to change my life for the better and be a fitter, healthier and slimmer version of myself but the kids and I have all been sick in the past week and now although we are all better now I am finding it hard to get motivated and back into my routine. Instead of sitting here writing this I should be up off my butt and out there walking round the footy oval but the thought of getting up and getting going is really quite daunting at the moment. I mean I know I'll feel heaps better once I get started but I just can't quite bring myself to do it. As sad as this sounds I keep using the housework as an excuse this morning, even though I know it isn't going anywhere, it'll still be there when I get back. I need a kick up the bum, I haven't even got on the WiiFit for nearly a week now and that's really sad cos I really really enjoy it once I get started.

What the hell am I doing, instead of sitting here whinging and whineing about it I am just going to do it. I'm going to get up off this chair and just go, it'll only take me 5 mins to get me and the kids ready to go and then we'll be off, so here I go.

Sorry about the whine people, but I'm off now and its worked I have re-motivated myself.

Bye for now
Funstopper
FunStopper

funstopper

Postby becs » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:54 pm

Hey FS just wondering how your walk went??? I know it's so hard sometimes to find the motivation to get up off the sofa and get out there, but unfortunately exercise is a necessary evil! And if you want to use housework as an excuse not to exercise, that's not the worst thing in the world, because housework burns calories too. Of course, if your place is already sparkling clean you can always come and clean my place for me - I'm the opposite to you and use walking as an excuse not to do housework! :oops:

I find the best motivation for me is thinking about the upcoming summer and how much better I'll cope in the heat when I'm a few kgs lighter... it gets so hot and muggy in Perth (and even hotter in the northern Goldfields where I work) that the less weight I'm carrying in summer, the more comfortable I'll be when I'm out in the heat! It may be cold and nasty and difficult to get out of the house now, but I know I'll be thanking myself for it in a few months time.

And hey - 4.8kg in 4 weeks is a fantastic weightloss - if I could come up with those kind of numbers I'd be stoked! :mrgreen:
Starting weight: 87kg
Goal weight: 65kg

becs

Postby funstopper » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi Becs, the walk was fantastic, thank you for asking. I put my little one in the pram, set my older one up on her bike and off we went, we walked down to our local footy oval and then while DD played on the playground I walked round the oval 4 times pushing the pram. I make sure I walk around the outside of the car track around the oval each time and I do a good brisk pace. Takes me 7 minutes each lap and I time each one so that I know I am doing the same pace and not cheating myself by slowing down. Then a little play with both kids on the playground and back off home. I feel great now that I have done it and my motivation is restored.

I am going to use your idea though and as extra motivation; I will start thinking about how much better I will also feel this summer with some of my excess weight gone. I remember last summer and I know I was so hot and bothered it was not nice.

I know I have been pulling some big numbers at the scales in my first four weeks but aside from the hard yards of exercising I have been putting in and the better, healthier food intake, I am putting it down to the fact that I have a lot to lose. They say the heavier you are the easier the weight comes off to start with, so I am fully expecting and fully prepared for the big numbers to get smaller, but so long as it is still coming off I will be happy.
FunStopper

funstopper

Next

Return to Personal Progress