It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:06 pm

Free Newsletter

I WILL be a size 12 by Christmas....

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

I WILL be a size 12 by Christmas....

Postby becs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:54 pm

So yeah, that's the plan... no, it's not just a plan, it's what's actually going to happen! I've been trying to lose weight for a while now, but keep on getting sidetracked.

Last September (2008) I hit an all-time high of 87kg (ouch), the result of starting a new FIFO job (I work in a mine in WA) and not being able to resist all the yummy food available in the mess. I decided to try and do something about my weight when I saw some photos taken of me at a party - I looked pregnant! Lucky me seems to put on all her weight around her waist, which is not only not very healthy, but it's also not very flattering either! I got myself a Wii and WiiFit (I know, cop out!) but wanted to lose some weight in private before I started going to the work gym - and it worked! I lost 6kg by Christmas 2008, then the holidays caught up with me and by May 2009 I was back up to 85kg. I changed jobs in the new year, and spent a lot of time in the wet mess (pub) with my new workmates making new friends - telling myself that drinking low-carb beer can't be that bad for me!

In May I realised that if I didn't get back on the bandwagon I'd get even bigger than I was at my biggest. I dusted off my WiiFit (hadn't touched it since Christmas... and boy did it tell me off for neglecting it!) and also got myself a new Wii game - EA Sports Active. Active is awesome - it puts together a series of cardio and resistance exercises and I've just completed my first 30 day challenge on it. I've also started keeping a closer eye on what I eat at work: poached egg on toast for breakfast instead of bacon, eggs and hash browns; vege soup for lunch instead of a pie; and skipping dessert at dinner. And I'm on call in the evenings now, so when we go to the wet mess I'm the one drinking water or coffee (or the occasional hot chocolate) instead of my beloved Hahn Super Dry! I've even been brave enough to start hitting the work gym, which is a big thing for me... it's not that easy getting all red and sweaty in front of people that you work with every day, especially when I can hide my flab underneath loose baggy work shirts! So far I've got back down to 80.5kg, and am a decent size 14-16.

I really want to get down to a size 12 by Christmas, and get into my ideal weight range. I figure I've been relatively realistic in my ambitions, because in order to do that I need to lose about 10 (minimum) -15 (ideal) kg... and have given myself 6 months to get there.

So, that's my goal... stay tuned to watch me get there!
becs

Re: I WILL be a size 12 by Christmas....

Postby warriorsgirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:17 pm

Hey good luck... I tried out the wii fit the other day at a friends place, felt like a complete dickhead but they are pretty cool...
I also work out at the work gym (sometimes) its kinda scary seeing everyone there, but like they are probs thinking the same thing... Although me and a friend do get a good laugh at some of the clothes people wear there, one man thinks he is still in the 1970's! :p
Anywayz... good luck, keep it up we are all here to support you :D
warriorsgirl

Postby becs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:43 pm

Thanks Amie - yeah, I definitely feel like a bit of a dork using my WiiFit and Active... especially when I'm up at work jumping around in my donga... can't imagine what my neighbours think cos they must hear me jumping and thumping around, although I try to avoid too many of the jumping exercises if I can!

As for the gym, I'm fine when I go to a gym in the city, but for some reason going to the gym up on site is terrifying - because I know most of the people there! I've been sneaking down at 8pm ish - it's the busiest straight after work but I've worked out that the later I go, the less people there are to laugh at me. Stupid I know :oops: but at least I'm going
Starting weight: 87kg
Goal weight: 65kg

becs

Postby Czarina » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:40 pm

You've set yourself a healthy and achievable goal, great start!

Good luck. :D
Czarina

Postby becs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:17 pm

Thanks Czarina - every bit of encouragement helps! I went for a 7km walk this afternoon - the weather in Perth has been crap all week but I've made it out for at least 40mins for the last 4 days, back up to work tomorrow and back to the work gym tomorrow nite.

I've made a few attempts to lose weight in the past, but this time I'm going to do it! Last week I ordered some cool t-shirts online in a size 12 - the plan is to fit into them by the time summer rolls around... silly but they're really cool t's and I'll be gutted if I don't get to wear them this summer!

becs

Postby Czarina » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:39 pm

You can do it! :D
Czarina

Oops... but I made it to the work gym!!

Postby becs » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:22 am

So today turned out to be both a good day and a bad day at the same time. Good day in that I worked out for an hour and a half tonite, and managed to conquer my fears of the work gym, bad day in that I pigged out on crappy food this morning.

I flew back to work this morning - twice! Our plane got to site, got 3/4 of the way through the descent to our airfield, then pulled up, turned around and went back to Perth. It turns out that some fog blew in just as we were about to land, and the site just down the road was all fogged in as well so we couldn't land there and wait til our airfield was clear. Because we got sent back to Perth, I ended up eating crappy airport food (mmm pepper steak pie and custard tart) instead of having brekky when I got to work like I usually do. We finally got to work at lunchtime, so although it was nice only having to work a half day (on full pay - yay!)... I ate bad food :( Never mind... back on track tomorrow!

becs

Meh work... but at least I'm eating good

Postby becs » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Am having a way better day today - I've realised that I eat better up at work than I do in town. I think it's because every morning I pack my lunch at camp before I go to work, so if I don't pack any snacks or crap food, I can't eat any cos there's no shop or vending machines at work :D

becs

Fish'n'chip Friday

Postby becs » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:20 pm

So I had a pretty good day yesterday - although I did have satay beef :oops: for dinner... for once they served up something half edible at the mess! Didn't do my Active workout or make it to the gym, by the end of my second day back at work I'm always absolutely knackered, must be something to do with getting up at 4.40am and working 12 hour shifts.

Fish'n'chip Friday today - at least they always do a baked fish meal as well as fried... shame I can't steer clear of the beer batter chips! It's the only time they serve chips each week, which is good - especially since I find them hard to resist. Oh well, will have to make it to the gym tonite... watch this space

becs

feeling rather proud of myself :)

Postby becs » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:49 pm

So I managed to survive Fish-n-Chip Friday - went with the baked fish (yum) instead of fried, but couldn't resist the chips... at least I went with a small portion and didn't overload my plate like I've done in the past! :lol:

I jumped on my WiiFit this morning for a quick (unofficial) weigh-in and it said that I'm down to 80.0kg, so I've almost made it down into the 70's! Very exciting, given that I haven't been under 80kg for 18 months! Can't wait til my Wednesday morning official weigh-in...

becs

Ok so yesterday was pretty bad...

Postby becs » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:52 pm

For once, I managed to palm off the work on-call phone to my graduate, so I had a rare night off to go to the pub. Dinner was pretty crap, no green veges (they served up pumpkin, capsicums stuffed with pumpkin, and potatoes) but loooots of carbs :(

Had a great time down at the wet mess - had almost forgotten how much fun I used to have down there! I don't think the 7 beers I had will go down too well with the old weightloss attempt tho, especially since I haven't been to the gym since Friday night. And I'm not going to get the chance to go tonite either - the boys are heading to another mine down the road to play indoor soccer, and since I have some friends that work there I'm heading along too... more beers to be consumed tonite! I'm still hoping that I'll manage to lose some weight this week... just don't think it'll be very much though! :?

becs

Postby laura17 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:36 pm

wow bec! i understand the beer thing but keep up the good work. i understand what its like to work on the mines as my ex used to work in wa too up in the kimberly. as for the WiiFit i so want one!! lol you will have to tell me all about it and the games that you can use for fitness. as for scary gym people i'm sure we can swap stories lol keep up the great work bec!! :D
[/url]
laura17

Back on that horse again

Postby becs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:36 pm

Well, apart from a hangover brekky of hashbrowns, eggs and french toast yesterday morning, I had a pretty good day... although when I stop and look at what I just wrote it's not that much of a great day at all! Oh well, the rest of the day I was good, even managed to head to the gym in the evening! I was meant to head to another mine up the road, but I couldn't be bothered, would have just meant more beer and less exercise. I may have told a porkie to my mates at the other site and told them that my boss wouldn't let me leave site because I have to be on-call... totally not the truth :oops:

They had potato gems in the bain marie this morning at breakfast... they're one of my FAVOURITE foods... but I just walked on past them to the poached eggs :lol: Feeling pretty proud of myself about that one! Now all I need to do is make it through the rest of the day, hit the gym tonite and hopefully weigh-in day tomorrow won't be too bad - wish me luck!

as for the WiiFit i so want one!! lol you will have to tell me all about it and the games that you can use for fitness.

Laura - I love the WiiFit... although I don't use it for exercise all that much anymore now that I have Sports Active. I find the WiiFit really good for tracking my weightloss, the graphs are great, although I don't like how my mii goes "oooh" (in a very downcast voice) when I weigh-in as overweight... even though I've had a loss! Active is brilliant, really gets me sweating and I've noticed that my arms and legs have toned up heaps since I've started using it. It doesn't have any core exercises, but the WiiFit helps out with that one. I've heard that My Fitness Coach is quite good too, but from what I can work out it's pretty similar to Active so I'm holding out on getting that one until I get sick of Active...

becs

Postby becs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:09 pm

:( the hot driller I've been working with for the last couple of weeks just left to go to another job... and probably won't be coming back to my mine again :(

becs

Back in the 70's!!!!!!!!!

Postby becs » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:30 am

Yay weigh in day today went well - finally got into the 70's!!!!!! Lost 1.3kg :D

Last week: 80.5kg
This week: 79.2kg
Loss: -1.3kg

I'm feeling pretty happy with that, haven't been in the 70's for 18 months!!! Flying back to Perth today, 6 days off work yay!

becs

Next

Return to Personal Progress