It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:43 pm

Free Newsletter

Kittens Weightloss Journey

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Kittens Weightloss Journey

Postby kitten1986 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi everyone! This is where I will be posting my weightloss fails an successes over the next few months.
To start with my goal is to lose 20kg to go from 86kg to 56kg.
At the present I am on Optislim and light exercise to lose the first 10kg
and then I will move to a healthy diet and vigorous exercise for the last 10kg

I started optislim 2 days ago, today is my third day. My experiences so far have been pretty good I only had one period where I felt really hungry which was yesterday afternoon/night. But I resisted the urge to eat and drank a litre of water instead then went to bed.
I have had some slight headaches since I started but nothing too major, and I have been feeling the chill too, but that could be because of the windy cold weather here at the moment.
I have to go to work tonight and I am too embarrassed to drink a shake in the lunch room in front of everyone :oops: so I am having my 2 cups of veggies as a salad for dinner... so I look like a normal person and I will drink my last shake when I get home.

I have decided I am only going to weigh myself once a week, I think it is unhealthy and not very useful to weigh yourself every day because of fluctuations in body water content etc. I will weigh in every wednesday and post it here along with my other musings about being on a diet.
I would love to hear from anyone in a similar situation to me, or anyone who wants to talk and exchange words of support throughout our journeys to a healthier body.

Kitten xx

SW: 86kg
CW: 86kg
-W: 0kg
GW: 56kg
kitten1986

Re: Kittens Weightloss Journey

Postby DeeEm » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:36 pm

Good idea with only weighing once a week, Kitten. As hard as it is, it'll just do your head in to weigh yourself too often. I refuse to weigh myself unless it's first thing in the morning (before I've had even a sip of water) and only completely nude... haha. So I stop myself from weighing too often by having breakfast before I have a chance to grab the scales out... hahaha.

Best of luck and I look forward to following your journey :)
Debbie
Start Date: 28 Mar 09
What I want to achieve:
1st Goal - 10kgs (end of May) - Reward: Wii Fit DONE
2nd Goal - 12.1kg (June 11 - DH's Birthday) - Reward: Reward enough in itself! DONE
3rd Goal - 15kgs (Aug 3 - DS's Birthday) - Reward: My Fitness Coach (Wii Fit) DONE
4th Goal - 20kgs (Mid-October for a wedding) - Reward: New clothes!
5th Goal - 30kgs (Christmas) - Reward: a digi-cam? Not sure.
DeeEm

Postby Miss Jo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:59 pm

Hi Kitten,
I just saw your post somewhere else, and yes, we should definitely get to know each other so we can share our journey, since our goal weights are so similar!

I have my own post somewhere... hang on here is is http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18920

We can keep each other in line!

I look forward to seeing your updates :)

Jo
xx
1st GW: 64kg
Final GW: 60kg

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:19 pm

It sounds like you have a good plan in place, Kitten. Good luck on your weight loss journey!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby kitten1986 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:26 pm

uh oh i fell off the wagon abit this weekend :twisted:
my mum and brother came to stay for afew days and I ate some things I shouldnt have
I ate sashimi for lunch on sunday... then we had a sunday roast complete with crackling for dinner
monday brekky was 1 pancake with low fat yoghurt and a sliced strawberry
then there was coffee (skim milk of course) with 1/6 of a mini french tart at lunch on monday while we were taking a break from shopping
I also ate some chocolate and quite a few sour cream and chive chips during a movie... WHY do I do it to myself? I feel really awful now thinking back on it :(

so I am having steamed veggies for dinner tonight
and hitting the diet hard for the rest of the week

and hopefully I will still have lost a little bit when my first weigh in on wed comes around. But if I haven't then I deserve it and it will be a lesson for me to remember next time how bad I feel right now for glutzing myself in the first week of my diet! I am mostly embarrassed to admit that I didnt last very long before going off my diet gahhh tomorrow is a brand new day.
kitten1986

Postby Czarina » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:39 pm

The problem when you 'diet' and cut out a lot of food, you are much more likely to have slip-ups. Maybe your body was craving food, after only getting mainly shakes. You don't have to starve or deprive yourself of treats to lose weight.

I count calories and factor in treats so I don't have to go without treats or go hungry, maybe you would find something like http://www.calorieking.com.au a bit more sustainable as it is more a lifestyle change, rather than a diet.

Good luck. :D
Czarina

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:17 pm

Czarina's right. While some people work well with going 'cold turkey' from all their favourite food, most of us end up rebelling and eating those treat foods anyway. The problem with that is because it's not planned and factored into our daily eating it becomes an 'in for a penny, in for a pound' eating bonanza. After all, if you're going to be naughty and have two chips you might as well eat the whole family pack, right? :lol:

Can you factor in a few treat foods during the week? When you say you had a bit of chocolate, how much is a bit? A piece of chocolate the size of your finger once per week would be reasonable and nothing to feel guilty about. Remember, the best diet is one you can stick to. If you're being too hard on yourself and beating yourself up over one small Freddo you're setting yourself up for a miserable weight loss journey. However, if you really did binge on an entire family block of chocolate then you might want to work on that!

Calorie King, the link that Czarina posted, can be good for putting it all in perspective. Enter what you had as a treat and see how many calories it's worth. A couple of potato chips and a small serving of chocolate is probably not as bad for you as you're imagining. See how much exercise it would take to burn off those calories and factor that into your week.

We all have slip ups once in a while, we wouldn't be human otherwise. The important thing is getting back on the horse and since you're doing that I think you're doing fine!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby kitten1986 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:39 pm

Well I weighed myself this morning and I lost 2kg on week 1. So considering my weekend slip up I am pretty happy about that.
I also noticed that my pants are getting a little looser which is great (they were tight when I bought them 3 weeks ago).
I have been doing about 30 mins of walking every day too mostly because I had a car accident and don't have a car at the moment so I am walking to and from work.

Thanks for your suggestions guys but I have counted calories before for about 3 months and the portioning, weighing, and writing down everything annoyed the crap out of me and at the moment I really don't have time for it. And during that time I only lost about 2 kilos :cry: so I gave it up.
I do realise that shakes are not sustainable for a long period and that they dont teach you how to eat properly but as I mentioned before I am really only using them as a kick start. I have a health science degree so I am very well aware of nurtitional needs and healthy eating... its just the implementing it in my own life that I struggle with. :roll:

So this week I vow not to slip up and have a great week!
kitten1986

Postby kitten1986 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:49 pm

Ok so far this week is going really well!
I have figured out that its easier to stick to this diet when I work nights because I am too busy to give in to the dreaded evening cravings. hahaha
Luckily I am mostly working nights over the next week so this is good!
Mostly I find that I am not really very hungry in the morning or during the day, so I am more than happy with having 2 shakes then, then at night when I feel the need to eat I will have a big yummy salad with steamed veggies and a small drizzle of low fat salad dressing and a shake and this seems to curb my hunger :D

I think that sticking to this diet is about planning and recognising different factors that cause you to want to over eat or eat inappropriate food.

On the weightloss front I definitely feel my pants are looser :D they keep slipping down onto my hips so I think it will be time for a belt or a new pair soon Hopefully in a size 14 !

I got my car back yesterday but I have decided that I am going to keep walking to and from work so I can get some extra exercise in without it feeling like exercise. I am also going to start doing some light hatha yoga to build a bit of muscle tone but mostly I cant wait until I get to start running again :!:
kitten1986

Return to Personal Progress