It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:29 pm

Free Newsletter

Diary of a Self-Confessed Fat Chick

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Diary of a Self-Confessed Fat Chick

Postby DeeEm » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:01 pm

Ok... so I thought I'd better have a journal on here too.

As the title says, I consider myself a fat-chick. I've been overweight my entire adult life (and a great deal of my childhood!).
According to the BMI, I am close to 50kgs overweight but I'd ultimately like to lose 30-40kgs.
I started the CS program on the 28th of March, 2009. I had lost a couple of kgs on my own but before that I weighed in at 121kgs. I was 119.6kgs when I started the CS program and I'm now 107.1kg. I'm happy with my progress though the last month or so has been slow-going. I've had a few things happen with my family so that has made it hard to really make the most of the diet. I'm still plugging away at it though.

I've lost weight before on Weight Watchers back in 2001. It was a long, hard slog. After an entire year I'd lost 17kgs and still hadn't gone down a dress size! It was very frustrating! I did get heaps of compliments and I felt good but it was very frustrating that I'd worked so hard and still wasn't getting the results I wanted. I'd gotten down to 96kgs. I don't think it was long before I went back over the 100kg mark once I stopped going to WW (I started working FT and just didn't have the time or the inclination to follow the program).

I've since had two children and both of them were born by caesarean section. I had my daughter in 2005. I only put 10kgs on in the pregnancy but I put on more weight while breast-feeding. Give a person with a bad relationship with food, severe hunger, and it's a recipe for disaster! Anyone that says the weight drops off whilst breast feeding is a fibber! I joined the gym when my daughter was a year or so of age but I suffered from bad headaches (turns out it was hypertension) so I didn't really make the most of it. We struggled with money and then moved towns so no more gym for me! In 2007 I fell pregnant with my son. Again I didn't put on much weight during the pregnancy but I still got to 120kgs by 41 weeks of pregnancy. I instantly lost 10kgs once I had him (he was an almost 9lb baby) but, again, I got SO hungry whilst breast feeding. All I wanted to do was eat! I also suffered from PND and got into a vicious cycle with lack of sleep, a bad state of mind and bad choices with food. Needless to say, my body has taken a beating! Obesity is also in the blood with grandfather, my late grandmother, my Mum and my sister all overweight. My mother was my main role-model when growing up so my relationship with food probably didn't get a great introduction!

Back in March this year, my marriage suffered a bit of a blow when my hubby admitted to me that he wasn't happy with my size. When he first broached the subject, I took it all the wrong way. I honestly felt like he'd given me an ultimatum - lose weight, or lose me. I was heartbroken. I told him I'd always thought he was better than that - that the superficial stuff was so beneath him. Many angry words were exchanged and I really thought he'd had enough of me and wanted out of the marriage.
Thankfully that wasn't the case at all. Yes, he wanted me to lose weight but it was more than just my appearance. He thought I was happy to coast along the way I was (little did he know I'd already started to lose weight on my own). He said he loves me but he wanted me to want to get healthy. It was after this rough couple of weeks that i decided to really try and do something to help myself. We live in a small town but we have a Priceline so I went into town and bought myself a Celebrity Slim starter pack. I have to admit that the first couple of weeks were done with me thinking; "Well if he wants me to lose weight, I will, then I'll be too hot for HIM! HA!" – but over time my hubby has shown me a great deal of support and has encouraged me every step of the way. Our marriage is stronger than ever and I no longer feel like he loathes me. I don’t think he could have broached the subject of my weight in a ‘nice’ way – I think I would have flipped out no matter how he tried to tell me. He was just so concerned about me and he worried that I’d just keep getting bigger and bigger and be miserable because of it. I had gotten myself into such a rut! So I’m glad he had the strength to say something and pull me out of it.
So, here I am... 14 weeks into the program. I’ve lost 13.9kg so far and have no plans to stop any time soon. I want to lose 30kgs by Christmas. I know it’s a big ask of myself but I think it would be an awesome Christmas present to be lighter than I’ve been since I started Uni back in 1997.
So that’s me... I could rabbit on for ages. I can see that this forum has a great deal of support which is wonderful. Hopefully I can help to encourage and support others aswell.

Thanks for reading!
Debbie
Start Date: 28 Mar 09
What I want to achieve:
1st Goal - 10kgs (end of May) - Reward: Wii Fit DONE
2nd Goal - 12.1kg (June 11 - DH's Birthday) - Reward: Reward enough in itself! DONE
3rd Goal - 15kgs (Aug 3 - DS's Birthday) - Reward: My Fitness Coach (Wii Fit) DONE
4th Goal - 20kgs (Mid-October for a wedding) - Reward: New clothes!
5th Goal - 30kgs (Christmas) - Reward: a digi-cam? Not sure.
DeeEm

Re: Diary of a Self-Confessed Fat Chick

Postby becs » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:58 pm

Hey Debbie,

Wow you're doing a fantastic job - 13.9kg in 14 weeks is wonderful - I bet your husband is very proud of your efforts. :)
I noticed that you rewarded yourself with a WiiFit for reaching your first goal, I've got one too and I love it. I got the EA Sports Active game a few weeks ago as well - if you're looking for a game to make your heart pump and your body sweat it's definitely the best one out there!

All the best for your weightloss... looking forward to seeing how you get on
Starting weight: 87kg
Goal weight: 65kg

becs

Postby onthedecrease » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:51 pm

Well done on telling your story, I know it can be hard (il do mine monday when i post :shock: ). Im glad your enjoying the forum it really is fantastic and members are very supportive. Keep it up chick :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby mindy32 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi Debbie,

Welcome to the forum. Good on you for appreciating those comments from your husband, it would be easy to stay angry, but I think it's wonderful that you realised he was doing it only to help. And good on him for loving you enough to say something even though he probably knew it would upset you.

Looking forward to following your journey.

~Belinda
*****Belinda*****
'Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind'
mindy32

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi Debbie,
Kudos to your hubby - he must have been messing his pants trying to bring that up! And kudos to you for getting through the anger and hurt to see why he'd raised the issue. Well done on your achievement so far, that's a really great effort and it just goes to show that you CAN do it. Good on you. And your little munchkins will be so proud of their mum (well, apart from a little period during adolescence when you will be an embarrassment no matter WHAT you do :lol: ... or was that just me??).

Can't wait to see your transformation for Christmas!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby DeeEm » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:27 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind words (and thanks for reading my essay... haha).

I'm doing well today... am pretty worn out right now. I got up this morning, determined to get some solid exercise in as I didn't do any yesterday. I jumped on the Wii Fit for half an hour and then got on the x-trainer. I've been trying to work up to being on it for half an hour at a time and got up to 27 minutes on Friday. Today, however, I just wasn't getting in the 'zone' and only managed 20 minutes before needing to stop. My right hip is a little sore - I think the hula hoops on the Wii Fit might be responsible?
Ah well. Then hubby asks if I want to come on a walk. We live near some mountains so we dccided to walk along the creek that's at the base of one of the mountains. We kept going and going. 2 hours later, we were finally home. Our daughter was thoroughly exhausted (she's 4) and hubby carried our almost 2 year old son in a sling. Needless to say, we were glad to be home. I think I've done enough exercise for today, whaddya think?? hehe
Debbie
What I want to achieve:
2nd Goal - 12.1kg (June 11 - DH's Birthday) - Reward: Reward enough in itself! DONE
3rd Goal - 15kgs (Aug 3 - DS's Birthday) - Reward: My Fitness Coach (Wii Fit) DONE
DeeEm

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:49 pm

That's a great amount of exercise for one day, Debbie. Good on you! I think it takes time to build up endurance on a cross trainer. You're doing really well so far, both with your increased fitness and with your weight loss. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for sharing your story with us. I can see how it would have been a difficult topic for your hubby to raise. I can understand why it upset you at first, but it's good that you've looked beyond your initial reaction to see why he was concerned with your health. Good on him for being so supportive in your weight loss journey. So often partners sabotage weight loss efforts, deliberately or not, so it's great to see someone who's willing to do the hard work with you. :D
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Miss Jo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:56 pm

27minutes is nothing to be sneezed at! I was on it for 30 minutes at level 5 - 8 (I dropped and upped it often) the next day, I could feel it in my legs, my butt and everything! Fantastic feeling though!!!

and I think EWQ is right, definitely something that you need to build up! and like everyone said kudos to the hubby! gosh, it would have been so hard to bring something like that up! and congrats on your loss so far :D :D :D
1st GW: 64kg
Final GW: 60kg

Postby DeeEm » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:27 pm

Thanks girls :)

I've managed to put on 900g this week.
It's my first gain since starting... *sigh*

I put it down to my water. I've really been struggling to get the 2 litres in a day. It's been SO cold here lately that it's the last thing I want to do. I've also been lacking a bit of structure because of school holidays etc. so I think that means I've been slack with getting the water into me.

SO.... another week begins... gonna make it my goal to get the 2 litres in every day. I've had about 1.5litres so far today so will manage it.

I'm disappointed with the gain BUT I know it's my own doing... so I'm not going to wallow.
Debbie
What I want to achieve:
DeeEm

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:08 am

Don't worry about a momentary gain. I get that every month at TTOTM. Just a few days ago I weighed in at 71.7kg... now I'm back down to 70.3kg. The amount of fluid the body can retain at one time is really astounding. I find heat, illness, too much salt, and TTOTM are all contributing factors to sudden weight gain. Not to mention even a slight case of constipation.

Hang on in there! The weight will come off soon enough.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby DeeEm » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:27 am

Thanks Ali.. you're so right. There's just so many things that can cause big gains - and I think not having my 2 litres of water a day wouldn't have helped.
Got my 2 litres in yesterday (plus some) and am almost 1ltr down already today and it's only 10:30am. With any luck I'll have a nice, big loss this week and at least get back to where I was before :)
I'm gonna get on the x-trainer today too - probably in the afternoon. I'm always more motivated to exercise in the afternoon... sooooo not a morning person! LOL
Debbie
What I want to achieve:
DeeEm

Postby DeeEm » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:50 pm

I've really knuckled down this week and I'm proud to say I'm back up to having my 2 litres of water a day. I've worked the last 3 days and that's really helped to give a bit of structure to my day and keep me on track (being a stay-at-home Mum kind of lacks routine at times which isn't always good for dieting!).

With any luck my weigh-in tomorrow will have good results. If not, I'll keep plugging away at it. I'm not going to let this little set-back spoil my resolve! No way!
Debbie
What I want to achieve:
DeeEm

Postby DeeEm » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:38 am

I've managed to lose 1.3 kgs this week to take off the weight I put on and then some :D VERY happy!!

0.7kg to go until the 15kg mark!

I feel like I'm back on track again which is great.
I didn't do any major exercise this week but I worked a bit - and I find that really helps put some structure into my day and makes it SO much easier to stick to the diet. CS is designed so that you don't have to exercise to lose weight - and I reckon my metabolism loves it when I eat at the same times every day. Took my little salads and CS meal replacement bars (people just think I'm eating a muesli bar so it's ideal) and I find I really look forward to lunch with a nice, yummy salad waiting for me in the fridge. Who would have thought I'd love salad so much?? LOL
Debbie
What I want to achieve:
DeeEm

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:45 am

Terrific work, Dee. Keep it up! You're doing brilliantly. :D
EvilWombatQueen

Postby DeeEm » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:24 am

15kgs GONE!
Hubby bought me the 'My Fitness Coach' game for my Wii Fit as my reward.

Gotta love graphs to show you how nifty your weight-loss is going:
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wWrlMFr]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
Debbie
What I want to achieve:
DeeEm

Next

Return to Personal Progress