It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:01 am

Free Newsletter

Laura's Progress Diary

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Laura's Progress Diary

Postby laura17 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:34 pm

Don't panic, this isn't going to be something like 'Dear Diary' :mrgreen: but what I want to do is to be able to record my weight loss.

Over the last two weeks I haven't been doing much, you could say that I have fallen off the wagon. But now I'm back and determined. I have had to sort out a couple of things in my life in order to be back. Firstly, was my partner. I love him to pieces, we are high school sweethearts. But I have always wanted to join the Police Force. He, on the other hand, threatened on many occasion to walk out if I joined. I have finally been able to get him to understand that I will do what I want to do with my life. Somethings I will negotiate on, but as far as my career is concerned, no way! Being a police officer runs in my family. It is one of three things that members of my family become: A serving member of the Defence Force, a Police Officer, or someone in the Medical profession. I have wanted to be a police officer since I was 12. Anyway, I was able to sit down with my partner and discuss his reasons. These are completely understandable fears: that I will get killed is the primary concern. I believe that we all die someday anyway, besides he has never seen me at the firing range and doesn't know just how good a shot I really am lol! So we have finally come to an understanding that he needs to learn to support me in my chosen employment and I to also not believe so much that I am indestructible (hey I believe that's why I pay for private health cover :roll: )

But first things first, I need to get accepted into the Police Force first. In order to do this I must complete entrance exams, panel interview, psych interviews and assessments, medicals, computing exam and finally the physical. The only thing that I know will be a problem at the moment is the physical. The requirements for this are as follows:

Minimum score of 6.10 in the Shuttle Run (at the moment I'm lucky if I can get 3.1 so I guess I;m halfway there lol)

Body Fat Skin-Fold Test of maximum 30%

Completion of the Agility Course in under 3mins 15sec. The couse consists of the following:
Agility Test
1. Start from inside police vehicle
2. Climb over 1 metre mesh fence
3. Climb over 1.5 metre colour bond fence
4. Climb over 3 metre cyclone fence
5. Climb over 1 metre wire fence
6. Crawl through a small opening
7. Leap over 1.5 metre ditch
8. Run through simulated car park
9. Climb over two 1 metre hurdles
10. Climb through a window
11. Drag a 25 kg simulated body 20 metres
12. Run 120 metres
13. Remove a car wheel from the boot of a police vehicle and place it on the ground in
front of the vehicle. Lift the wheel and carry back to the rear of the vehicle and place
the wheel inside the boot.

It sounds easy. But it requires running, and at the moment I can't run lol. So currently I weigh 79kg and want to get down to at least 60kg. I'm only 5'6" so I look like a really bottom heavy pear at the moment. When I get some pics I will upload them. Each month I will upload new pics. My goal is to get in on the October intake which is on the 22nd. So that is 14 weeks away. If I can manage to lose 1kg/week I should be able to get down to 65kgs and be able to do the physical successfully. The bonus with the Police Acadamy here is that once you have been shown how to use the agility course, you can access it free as it's open to the public. So once I have developed my physical fitness a bit then I will be doing this course maybe once a week in the month leading up to my physical. This is my goal.

At the moment I'm sitting at my desk at work planning my physical activity for the next couple of weeks. I'm also trying to learn what I should and should not eat. I know that I really need to cut back on my sugar. If anyone can help me develope a plan I would really appreciate it. Tonight's plan is to go for a good walk. My dogs will be so happy to go walking lol! Especially my cattle dog. If he hears his chain rattle then he starts to go crazy! He howls and wriggles like its no tomorrow lol!
[/url]
laura17

Re: Laura's Progress Diary

Postby court » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:15 pm

Wow excellent plan Laura! You sound so determined and I would love to help you attain your weight loss. I think with your time constraints it might be a good idea to look to a PT as well maybe?
I was 80kgs on the 16th February and now I am around 68kgs... I am fairly physically active - I workout 5-7 times a week incorporating all sorts of exercise.. I eat around 1500 calories a day... Perhaps for food choices you shoudl check out calorie king? A lot of people swear by it.. You need to make sure you eat a range of foods and dont get sucked into gimmicks.. After all you need to strong fit and agile to be a police officer, not thin and waify!
Good luck with your goals :)
court

Postby laura17 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:30 pm

thanks heaps court!! i would love the help! i was thinking of a PT as well. i am a member of a gym so I was going to book a session with a PT get them to do up a plan for me and then go from there. Was thinking of doing that monthly. I plan on going to the gym 6 times a week with 1 rest day when I will take the dogs down to the park and spend time with them (weather permitting). I know that I have to work hard to reach my goal and I have determination. I used to be a very fit sporty person when I was younger. I probably had some form of sport 7 days a week whether it be swim training, netball, basketball or soccer. No I look at myself in the mirror and go ugh! Sometimes I get pretty down and wonder why my partner is with me, especially when I go through the times when I can't even be naked with him around. :cry:

as for calorie king, I did sign up to it but it seems to me that you have to add all of the calories for the meals you eat in order to be able to simply create a meal plan? is this right? or have i got it completely wrong lol. much help is obviously needed for me to understand how to navigate around calorie king lol
[/url]
laura17

Postby laura17 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:09 pm

ok so it's the first day of my 14 week count down. went to the gym today and spent 15minutes on the treadmill alternating 2min jogging 2min fast walking recovery. then another 15mins on the bike at 90RPM. going to try and fit a couple of classes in this week. bit hard though when you finish work at 6pm. if anyone has any great ideas for anything that might help let me know i would love to hear.
im hoping that my cardio improves soon because i'm having just a little bit of trouble breathing lol, i think that might be because its so cold at the moment.
[/url]
laura17

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:50 pm

Sounds like you did great at the gym, Laura! If you're having troubles getting there after work is there any way you can go in the morning before work? The gym I used to be a member of kept incredibly odd hours so that wasn't an option for me but your gym might be better in that department. Otherwise there's always the option of exercising at home. You could get some fitness DVDs, or make an aerobics step by taping some old phone books together. Even a skipping rope can give you a great workout provided you have a back-yard to skip in!

With Calorie King you only have to enter the calories of custom foods that don't appear in their database, for instance the soy milk I buy from Aldi 'Hillcrest Light Soy Goodness'. You only have to enter them once because you can save it as a favourite so that it comes up automatically when you search for it in future. For most foods you just type the name of the food into the search box to the right of your food diary. There are two tabs, one for food and the other for exercise. Type in a food and it will come up with the food and its calories for different quantities. Make sure you get the serving portion right because sometimes it defaults to a whole packet/bottle rather than one serving! By clicking on the exercise tab you can enter in the exercise that you've done to deduct those calories from your total daily intake. It's a great site to keep track of your calories!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby laura17 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:22 am

thanks heaps for that. i think i finally figured calorie king out now lol. as for my gym they open at 6am so i really should get in the habit of spending an hour or so there in the morning, but saying that i really do love to sleep in, especially since its so cold at the moment lol!

wednesday night was a bit of a busy one. i had an online lecture so instead of going to the gym i did crunches, push-ups and some free weights at home. wednesday i was very sore lol i think i needed a zimmerframe to walk around work lol.

made it to the gym again last night for some cardio. another 15minutes on the treadmill followed by rowing machine. 10 minutes on that and i almost needed a body bag! but i feel really good this morning and am looking forward to my orbit class tomorrow morning!
[/url]
laura17

Postby laura17 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:38 am

Changed classes and did a Combo class instead Sunday morning. It's a mixture of aerobics, hand weights and ab workouts. But boy did it get my heart rate up lol! That and I also discovered my true co-ordination skills (or lack thereof) :lol: anyway that went for an hour and I feel great! I think I'm going to do that class every Sunday morning from now on. Anyway it is now the day after and I don't feel sore at all.....I thought I would be in agony...I did everything that was asked of me yesterday, made sure all of my muscles were engaged correctly....does this mean that I'm fitter muscularly then i thought???? I have been slack and haven't weighed myself yet this week but I will attempt to do that tonight before a class, providing I can figure out how to use those weird scales they have at gyms :S
[/url]
laura17

Postby laura17 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:31 pm

also if there is anyone out there that can teach me how to develop meal plans (or is that yet again something about calorieking that i dont know how to use?) i would really appreciate it. I am using Calorie King to keep track of what i eat but the hard part is working out dinner plans that my partner will also eat. he is a big fan of jar products that are full of fat and msg because they have much more taste then my prepared from scratch products. unfortunately he is one of those men that can eat anything they want and still can't fill up their big toe! also if there is anyone who also wants to join the police force, was a serving member or is trying to achieve a similar goal like mine please let me know. i'm starting to lose motivation unfortunately :(
[/url]
laura17

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:18 pm

When you create your profile on Calorie King it should give you a meal plan. Log in and click on 'Account settings' at the top of the page. Go to 'create a personal profile'. Scroll down and you'll see a section titled 'Meal Plans'. There's a radio button there for creating a meal plan. Check it. Then click on the 'next' button at the bottom of the page. It will give you an option of changing your recommended daily calories, and you can customise your menu a little with some of the options on this page. Now when you go to your 'Today' page there will be a link above your food diary saying 'Meal Plan'. You can click on this to see your recommended meals for that day.

(A word of warning: It's pretty useless for vegetarians, since I clicked on 'no meat at all' and as a result it recommends fish :roll: .)

I hope this helps!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby laura17 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:37 am

thank you so much EvilWombatQueen! i will definately do that. as for vegetarian that is my preferred choice because for some strange reason my body simply does not like red meat very much - it makes me feel rather ill. i think it is true when they say the second day is the most painful because OMG!! am i sore today!! I didn't make it to the gym yesterday, very busy repairing damages from the overnight storm some of us surely experienced monday night! but oh did we need it! hopefully be able to at least do some mild weights at home tonight.
[/url]
laura17

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:46 am

If you ache the day after exercise it's proof you're achieving something. The soreness is your body repairing micro-tears to your muscle. These repairs actually build upon the existing muscle creating more muscle mass. Of course there's sore and there's sore. If you've hurt yourself with sharp stabbing pains that's no good!

Good luck with the meal plan on Calorie King. Let us know how you get on. :D
EvilWombatQueen

Postby laura17 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:45 pm

hehehe no, it was definately the i've been working muscles that i thought didn't exist pain. so over the last two days i have done nothing other then stretch my muscles and waddle around like a stiff duck :lol: tonight is late night trading so i will be getting on the floor with my fit ball once i eventually get home. as for calorie king omg! 1500 daily calorie limit is insane!! i can't eat that much food that is in the meal plans lol
[/url]
laura17

Return to Personal Progress