It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:18 pm

Free Newsletter

alex_bilson

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

alex_bilson

Postby alex_bilson » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:42 pm

[color=violet]Hi. My name's Alex, and this is my first post. I'm here because I want to lose about 6kg, to reach my goal of 60kg. I'd like to test this out... see how I go recording my progress, as well as my daily exercise, what I eat, etc.

I've been about the same weight for a few years now (though I have put on one or two extra kilos in the last few weeks). I am in the healthy weight range for my height however I'd still like to shed these extra kilos which have me looking a bit untoned... it's only August so I should be able to whip myself into shape for summer!

My other reasons for wanting to shed the weight include:

*a new job I will be soon applying for, in which personal appearance is fairly important

*fitting my clothes well... looking great in clothes

*my health

and of course

*looking hotty hot hot for the new boy (haha ;)

For a while I was handwriting my daily meal plans and recording what I ate at the end of each day. I had the best of intentions however it fizzled away- mostly because it was too much of a hassle fiddling around with papers in my weight loss folder, and I didn't want my family to find my little book! I'm hoping this will be an easier method... and as it's my personal computer there should be no problems there.

My Weight Loss Program

So how do I plan to do this? Good old fashioned healthy eating and exercise. Three of my friends are on this shake diet... where you have a shake for breakfast and lunch and then a normal dinner. I have to admit I have been tempted because they are all losing weight- but you have to wonder, how long will it last? I have read plenty, and all signs point to the fact that they will most probably put the weight back on, even gain more, after they go back to their normal patterns of eating, which they definately will. You can't eat shakes forever can you? So I have resisted that... and I want to do this the right way.

I eat a fair bit of crap, and have been drinking a fair bit lately (partying), so the changes I make to what I eat should not have to be too drastic to make a difference. It's not like I will have to be eating garden salads for lunch and dinner. I know about healthy eating... I believe it is fairly "common-sensicle" what is good for you and what is not- so I am A-ok with the eating. I will endevour to plan what I will eat each morning, and record it at night. At least the latter (however I think planning is very beneficial).

Now, the other important thing as far as what I consume goes, is ALCOHOL. This little party animal has been doing a lot of champagne-sippin, vodka guzzling, bourbon and coke-pouring of late and it's catching up with me in the form of a most undesirable little beer belly and signs of a chubbier face! OH NO. So yes, there will be considerable effort put towards holding off on the drinkies.

In the little program I devised for myself not long ago, I decided that for every weigh-in week (Friday to Thursday), I have to do FOUR work-outs. That is, four sessions of strenuous aerobic exercise over 7 days. I decided this was the perfect amount- not too much of a high goal to reach, but enough to be beneficial. I will stick with this plan. In under 2 months time I will be playing soccer one day a week and touch footy one day a week. That will be great! Until then, I can fill up my four days with swimming at the local pool, walking with the dogs, a bush walk, dancing, an aerobic video and so on.

I will record my workout sessions as they happen in this fashion:

"Workout #1: Swim"

This will help me to keep track of how many sessions I have done before each Friday (Friday is Weigh-Day). I found this to be an excellent method before as I could taylor my exercise according to my schedual. I could get all workouts done early in the week, or spread them out.

In addition to the four blocks of exercise per week I also need to do 100 sit-ups every night. I found this really enjoyable when I was doing it before and was noticing results within 1-2 weeks. I started with 50 then built up the number.

Why should this work this time?

I'm sure it didn't before because all the handwritten recording of info just got too much. I think I'll enjoy the typed method more. In addtion... others can read this. They might even like to try a similar kind of personal program.

I promise to continue recording my results daily, even when I am not doing so well. Even when I'm over it. The key is persistance, and planning.

Dr Phil said... Willpower is a myth. What you need is good planning. That is what will get you on track, and what will give you results.

So there we are.

I hope that I will not falter and become tired and lazy with the recording. But I will try my damn best. I'm excited and enthusiastic about this journey and so ready to make my goal come to fruition... at long last. This is the time.
[/color]
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wXCD80z/]
[/url]
alex_bilson

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:02 am

HI ALEX
CONGRATULATIONS ON making some lifestyle changes. you will look and feel better for it :) good luck with it all, it all sound spretty well planned out, you just have to stick with it- but with support from us here you can make it! ;)
kate_turner2000

Postby alex_bilson » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:51 am

Thanks Kate :)

Good morning. So this is my first day- it's amazing how good you feel even after you just make the decision to be more healthy. I know I always feel tonnes better about myself when I'm eating well...than when I'm scoffing chocolate and various other bits and pieces! I woke up this morning excited about the little journey.

I have to say I am a little nervous... I weighed myself this morning- at 66.2 I am still the same weight I've been for a few years. The thing is, I am not mega-unhappy about my body- I'm not fat. But not the flashiest sight in a bikini either. I know, however, that you have to overcome the little obsticle of being 'scared' about weight loss. So I won't let that get in my way.

Ultimately, I don't really even want to think about weight loss... I don't want that to take up my thoughts because this is about living well, not about a fad diet. And so the weight loss, and a more toned, healhier looking body will eventuate anyway!

Tuesday Plan:

Breakfast: Special K and milk (always low fat)

Pre-work: Freshly made fruit/veg juice

After work (3pm): Low fat yoghurt with chopped almonds and sultanas. Green tea.

Dinner: To be decided

Exercise: Yes- 30-40 min brisk street walk with the doggies!

Situps done last night? YES

(I won't start the workout count today as the new "week" starts on Friday.)
[/url]
alex_bilson

Postby SarahC » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:21 am

Hi Alex. Welcome to the forum :D

Well done on making your decision. It is exciting once you have made that commitment to yourself... but I know what you mean about being scared/nervous. I think that's the reason why I have never been able to maintain my goal weight for more than a month :(

I had a neat idea yesterday that might overcome the feeling of being scared. It's the whole concept of losing weight. Personally, I hate losing things. I get pretty stressed out and can't really focus on anything else until I've found it again... especially if it's something that I have had for a really long time! Like the extra fat. I feel a bit stressed when it's not there, as I've had it for so long, so I try to get it back :shock:

So, instead of "losing weight", try thinking of it as "discarding body fat". Discarding is something that you do on purpose, ie, getting rid of something that you no longer want (like throwing something in the bin!), whereas losing something is accidental, and generally an unwanted event...

Looks as though we are in the same boat too... both within our healthy weight range, and just trying to get rid of those annoying extra kgs :)

Re the alcohol, one thing I find that works alright is alternating and alcoholic drink with a non-alcoholic drink... that way you always have a drink in your hand, but only consuming half the amount of alcohol. Or, volunteer to be a designated driver?

Good luck with your plan. Sounds great!
SarahC

Postby alex_bilson » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:53 pm

Thanks for the comments- to be honest I really wasn't expecting anyone to actually bother reading these, I was happy to just type away to myself, but actually, I am really liking the support factor!

I like your analogy about the discarding the fat... it's like... "be off with you fat, I don't want ya, get lost." Haha. It's like you are taking control, if you're discarding it.

Well today, was a day that I am disappointed with to be sure, but I will try not to be negative. I started off wonderfully and things jsut got bad as the day progressed. I found that as soon as I ate one "bad" thing, I wrote the whole day off. When really, I should have the attitude of- Ok, I ate that, now l'll move on and make the rest of the day count.

Anyway.

So I have been thinking about why my day went downhill.

It's always been the way that as soon as I eat crap I will write off the rest of the day.

Another reason is that I was craving chocolate. I tried to be good and got a sugar free bar, but then saw it was high in fat anyway...

Emotional eating- big factor. Had a boring day... ate ate ate.

Convinience another fact- I was offered a free lunch at work... I took it coz I was there. I said No at first... but it was offered again and I caved. I wasn't even hungry.

So, I read a few articles in the main section of this site before.

Quote:

'When about to satisfy a food craving ask yourself what you want more- the food or the weight loss you are trying to achieve'

I'll try keep it in mind.

Now here is my daily report:

Breakfast: Special K with low fat milk

Pre-Work (11am) 1/2 cup rice with lamb and pineapple curry (leftovers)

Fresh made apple, celery, carrot, lettuce, orange, kiwifruit and ginger juice.

At work:
Toasted ham and cheese s/w on white bread

After work (after 3) Low-sugar chocolate
2 x magnum minis
Light cream cheese and sweet chilli on watercrackers (2)
Remainder of juice

Dinner
Lamb and Pineapple curry

After Dinner
Choc Wedge

Exercise: Yes- 1/2 hour brisk walk

So anyway, as you can see, I did begin with real effort- but the day fizzled out of control and I had a sure fire eat fest. But how am I feeling now? yUCKY. So there. Tomorrow is another day.
[/url]
alex_bilson

Postby alex_bilson » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:26 am

HELLO

Here is the plan for the day :)

Breakkie: Special K & milk

Lunch: Healthy Choice Tuna Bake

At work 'dinner' break: Yoghurt and Apple

Dinner
: Home made Pea & Ham Soup with one slice white toast

Exercise: Yes. Aerobics video and take dogs down to the creek! (Strenuous walk on the way back up the valley!)

Sit-ups last night: Yes

The plan for any nasty cravings or emotional eating today is just to hold off, hold off, hold off! Have a drink of water, and wait for the craving to pass... because I hear they do. Do something else and remember I don't really want the junk, it won't really gratify me.

;)
[/url]
alex_bilson

Postby KimE » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:05 am

Not sure if I have said the official hello to you Alex but welcome to the forum.

You certainly look like you have a sensible plan worked out for both exercise and eating. It takes some strength to stick to it, however, the longer you do the more of a habit it becomes and that's what will help.

There is plenty of great info on the home page so don't forget to check it out. We are all here for any support you may need.

Good luck with your weight loss journey and new healthy lifestyle. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:23 am

Hi alex

its great that you are making a note of what you are eating. it makes you focus better i reckon :)

dont worry about your one downfall, just pick yourself up again and remind yourself of why you are doing this lifestyle change and get back on the wagon :)

we are all in the same boat :) support really helps :)
kate_turner2000

Postby alex_bilson » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:36 pm

Well I am very happy to report that I stuck to my menu plan for today TO THE LETTER! (Menu in my last post)

It was the right amount of food and all nutritious. I also did my planned exercise for the day.

It is most beneficial to plan- it means I'm not standing at the fridge digging into the peanut-butter while I decide what to eat :/

Anyway, I have an early start tomorrow so am going to do my plan for the day now:

Breakfast: Special K and milk

Morning Break: Yoplait Yoghurt

Lunch: Wholemeal s/w- egg & lettuce or chicken... (I buy my lunch tomorrow...I shall see what looks good)

Afternoon Break:
Apple

Dinner: To be decided

*5pm snack if hungry: 2 x watercracker w cheese and pickled onion or fresh made apple and carrot juice

Exercise: No- not on Thursdays. (About 40 mins combined walking from car to train and train to tafe anyway)
[/url]
alex_bilson

Postby alex_bilson » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:58 pm

hey hey

well i learnt another lesson today which is that i really DO eat when I'm bored...

big victim of boredom eating today. classes ended early and with no work and not too much to do at home the cupboards were a callin.

Anyway here is what went on today

Morning tea: Yoghurt with added nuts and sultanas
BBQ peanuts

Lunch: 1/4 roast beef and pumpkin s/w on wholemeal bread (it was disgusting, so I threw most of it away, and this is where the trouble starts!!)
Cadbury Brunch Bar

Dinner: Scrambled Eggs on 2 slices white bread

Other stuff (afternoon):
2 slices apple teacake
Home made choc/mocha with 2 sugars (naughty!)
1 x strongbow alcoholic cider

So yes... did start with good intentions. But it's more fun when I'm eating well... makes weigh day more exciting.

Gee that boredom thing is a killer! Can't wait til work picks up and summer sport starts.

Situps last night: Yes.

Bye for now.
[/url]
alex_bilson

Postby alex_bilson » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:52 am

Hello!

Well today is weigh-day and I've lost 800g in the last few days... woohoo! That is just a bit of exercise and only kinda sorta eating well, haha!

In a bit of a rush but here's today's menu.

Work Break: Vita Wheats with vegemite and pro-activ marg.

Afternoon Snack:
Strawberry Yoghurt. Fresh-made apple, celery and carrot juice.

Dinner: Burritos or Home-made Pork/Noodle Lettuce Cups (Delish... if anyone wants the recipe!!)

Exercise: No (work 6 hrs standing)

Sit-ups last night: Yes

;)

Now this is the start of my official week, so I have to count my Four exercise sessions from now until next Friday.
[/url]
alex_bilson

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:27 pm

Hi alex

well done mate! keep up the great work :) you sound so stoked and so you should be.

i made tacos the other night and instead of having the tacos shells i wrapped mine up in lettuce it was yummo. it was chicken mince too not the beef mince for a change. it was great. :)
kate_turner2000

Postby alex_bilson » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:52 pm

hey kate- that's funny! sounds like i had the same dinner as you had the other night haha. Chicken san choy bow... oh so good.

Anyway just dropped in to write what I ate today. Couple of naughty things but I did try and I did think it out. I even got out a container that there's a cake in at home, got a knife, then stopped, and put it back, and got over it! I thought, No, I don't wanna be writing this on my list later :) I also ate a little Freddo Frog... was having one of my choccy cravings... but a lil Freddo frog is not a major SIN is it!

Lunch: 4 Sandwitch size Vita Wheats with vegemite and marg +small piece pavlova (hold the cream...haha) at work

In Between: Freddo Frog; Peppermint Tea; slice white toast w vegemite (I was actually hungry btw)

Dinner:
Chicken San Choy Bow

1 x alcoholic cider

That's it. Nighty night :)
[/url]
alex_bilson

Postby alex_bilson » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:55 pm

Hello. tHis is the post for saturday and sunday.

saturday's food:

breakfast:
all bran

lunch at work: tuna/pasta/brocoli bake

afternoon snack: strawberry yoghurt; bite sized piece of cake; small glass of fresh vege and fruit juice

dinner: out- chicken malay wheat noodle stir fry

And as we were out and about on the town... lots of wine and vodka!

Sunday: Bit of a slack day food wise. But I am keen to get back on track.

Breakfast: One egg and one rasher bacon

Lunch: Left over san choi bow; small piece damper and butter; couple pieces camembert, two water crackers; cube of cheese

Dessert
(Had relos over) Custard tart and custard bun

At work: One calamari ring (declined the pies, sausage rolls, etc.)

Beverages: About 85 glasses diet coke

As we speak: Custard tart (I know i am being naughty but it's just today I promise)

On the other front, there was lots of exercise today.

Exercise:
45 min walk & then bush walk (about 35 mins worth of walking as well)

Have not done sit ups past two nights. Will do tonight.

I am feeling different already- amazingly... i just feel better and i think i can see and feel a difference as well.

Night.
[/url]
alex_bilson

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:01 pm

hi alex
i agree, i felt better and looked better after a few days- a week. its awesome because you know its the start of the 'new you'.

im sure you will be on track again tomorrow :)
kate_turner2000

Next

Return to Personal Progress