It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:00 pm

Free Newsletter

alex_bilson

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:43 am

have a great night out alex :) i aint a thai food lover- dont like asian food or anything like that. more a mexican and italian lover mmmm. anyway have fun!
kate_turner2000

Postby alex_bilson » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:43 pm

Hi everyone. I was a bit puzzled about the whole 'Heart Rate' thing and at what intensity you should exercise to get the most benefits in terms of losing weight. This morning at the gym I did the 'Fat Burner' option on both the treadmill and crosstrainer machines. My target heart rate was 128, thus I had to exercise at a level which was way under my capabilities to keep my heart rate at 128. However, I did so, as it was the 'Fat Burner' program-

BUT being a little confused I decided to investigate.

Well I have just done a google search and looked at about 7 pages on the matter. I am posting the best article below in case anyone is interested. It was the most simple to understand, and also was coroborated by the info in other pages.

The Fat Burning Zone
By Michael C. Carrera, MSc. and Natasha Vani, MSc., ATCP

The next time you go to your health club, jump on a cardio machine and take a look at the pre-programmed options. Most often you will find a program called the Fat Burner or something similar. These programs are designed for you to exercise at roughly 50 to 60% of your maximum heart rate. Exercise within this intensity range is directly related to the use of fat for energy.

As the intensity of an exercise increases, your fuel source shifts from burning primarily fat to burning primarily carbohydrates. Fat and carbohydrates are essentially your largest energy suppliers. The concept behind these programs is sound following them will make you burn fat. However, if you want to lose weight, is exercising at a low intensity (thus burning primarily fat) really the most effective method?

Weight loss is an extremely simple concept that is often made difficult. Every day you consume food, which gives you energy, and every day you expend some of this energy for basic body function, to digest food and for activity. Overall, the energy that you take in should be balanced with the energy you expend. This would result in a stable body weight. To lose weight you simply need to shift this equation so that you expend more energy then you consume. Whether the energy comes from fat or carbohydrate stores is not an issue. What is important is the amount of energy, or calories, you expend.

Let’s take a simple example: Two people with similar characteristics exercise for 30 minutes. Person A works at a low intensity of 50% of their heart rate max (an intensity within the Fat Burning Zone). Person B works at an intensity of 75% of their heart rate max. Person A is therefore burning primarily fat while Person B is primarily burning carbohydrate. Who burns more calories?

Although Person A is using a greater percentage of fat to perform the 30 minute bout of exercise, Person B is actually expending more calories. Since losing weight is only achieved by burning more calories than you consume, Person B is at a significant advantage in achieving their goal.

Another disadvantage to working at a lower intensity is that while you will achieve many health benefits, you will not necessarily achieve fitness benefits. Health benefits are those such as body weight control, lowered blood pressure and improved cholesterol. Fitness benefits are those such as improved endurance, strength and athletic performance.

A low intensity program, such as one in the Fat Burning Zone, would be recommended for those who cannot tolerate high intensity exercise. Therefore, those beginning a program, overweight people or individuals restricted due to medical problems will benefit from a low intensity program. But, if you are able to work at a higher intensity than that prescribed in a fat-burning program, do so, because you will burn more calories. Remember, at the end of the day, the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume.

Please also note, that while exercise alone will promote weight loss, the most effective weight loss method is through a combination of diet, exercise and behavioral changes.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wXCD80z/]
[/url]
alex_bilson

Postby alex_bilson » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:06 pm

Ok well I thought I would separate these two posts to make it a little less daunting!

Um... hello! This morning I did Yoga and 50 minutes cardio at the gym. I am enjoying it. Tomorrow I am doing another pump class which i am really looking forward to.

Bad news came home after and pigged out. The list of reasons why i eat is growing.

Anyway i sat down with my bob greene book. you have to read a chapter about your self, and your emotional self, and go through asking yoruself all these questions, before you move on to actually trying to achieve fitness and weight goals. bob warns in the intro that this part is hard but essential to making true changes.

um so yeah i got to the part about starting to ask questions and it is right. it is challenging to look inside and examine yourself. I am handwriting my answers as I read.

Wow it's hard. This morning he asked, do i cut corners? and i though, No, with weight loss, i really don't- I haven't tried a fad or anything and i really am TRYING to do it the right way. But then he asked if you do it in other areas of your life, and i DO, in so many ways. anyway... i am not going to detail my answers on here, all i can say is that i think it's going to be a very introspective emotional journey looking inside.

Hmm i know that in high school, i was bullied from about year 7 to 9. Not for weight or anything like that, coz that has never been a MJOR issue for me... but i was bullied for being smart, for trying in school and stuff. I was also bullied, and this is so hard to say coz to this day it just makes me want to crawl inside myself, just bullied for a physical aspect, i have naturally quite thick dark eyebrows and was really teased for it, and for being smart, and just felt like this sort of... i dunno, i just didnt feel special. i mean, i had friends, always had friends, and you know, you grow out of those early teens you get your eyebrows shaped and everything is right as rain. Now, boys do like me and do think im hot (so hard to write that) and stuff, but it's like the wounds are still there. I was teased on a daily basis at school, by boys, and by the girls who were trying to be cool to those boys. Like i said, i always had friends, and i would put on a tough act like i didnt care, but i did. To have to sit there and pretend you cant hear the things people are syaing about you, is so painful. The tears are welling up as i write. i think it was a problem too even in dance class i felt on the outer for these things... i think maybe this was the beginning of my problems. to deal with the teasing, you know, after the eyebrows had been shaped and i was you know, alright, about yer ten onwards, i started the too cool for school act... it was a defence mechanism to show that nothign anyone said bothered me. I started like, not doign assignments and stuff, just to show i didnt care. um yeah, so i still did well in high school but the studious girl i was in the beginning never came back. I also became quite sarcastic and stuff in the beginning, to deal with comments of the idiots and bullies.

So, I am not sure yet of the connection between that, and food, but i know it's probably there somewhere. It may have something to do now with my underachieving... and the fact that, i find it hard to believe when someboy tells me i'm 'hot'. i had a lady at work the other day tell me that alll the boys thought i was a 'hottie'.. i jsut went red and turned away. I mean, when i look in the mirror, aside from the body flaws which are definately there which im tryign to work on, i can see that yes i guess i do have somewhat of a pretty face but like when i think that, it still makes me want to cry, because something on the inside doesnt feel pretty. It's like all that bullying and nasty stuff at school just made me... a bit hardened and just a bit insecure. Maybe in highschool i turned to food for comfort after school? i dont know. Maybe it's that i'm scared to BE what i want to be, to be pretty, to be confident, because i don't feel like i am worth it or that i can do it.

I suppose there are a million little things in life that can add up to these insecurites, and this is just one for me.

But i hope that looking into them will help me, coz it's hard looking back on this stuff that you jsut want to forget! Bob Greene writes that putting a blanket over it won't help. That you have to you know, acknowledge it, bash it out first i guess. i hope it's worth it!

So yeah, I am going to write for myself through this emotional chapter, not on here. I'm going to stop the food plans for the moment, as they were not going to plan anyway. I need to focus on this plan of attack at the moment. meanwhile i am still exercising and will continue to try and make healthy choices.

I'll keep up with regular posts though.

until next time-[/i]
[/url]
alex_bilson

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:16 pm

wow alex

thanks for sharing that, i agree that a lot of my eating problems are probably linked back to periods in my life. in regard to your eating plan, at least you have found that it wasnt working for you and you can embark on something that will. its all trial and error matey. take care and keep us posted. i always enjoy reading about your progress :)
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:33 pm

Thanks Alex for sharing a piece of yourself with us. Working through understanding yourself better and the reasons behind some of your habits and behavious is a big task in itself so do what is best for you in relation to your eating plan. I am glad you are keeping up the exercise as that can help a great deal when faced with emotional issues.

Also a big thank you re: the heart rate info as it is something that I have been thinking on and hadn't got to investigating or at least the stuff I have read didn't go into it so clearly.

All the best! :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby slimmindown » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:41 pm

Alex, i think its great that you are taking the time to sit down and think about why you may have emotional eating triggers.

Its hard to be introspective because it does bring up the feelings that we are often trying to bury down with food. For me it is what I then do with those feelings. i am now exploring them and how they make me feel,both physically and mentally.

Now I can associate when I am in the frame of mind that used to trigger my overeating and I choose to handle it differently, go for a walk,talk to a friend, or sometimes just sit with the feeling, knowing it cant hurt me. it is just that, a feeling that i can choose to react to positively or negatively.

Congratualtions on htis important stage in your weight loss journey. You should feel proud of yourself for tackling this incrediably hard task. Child hood memories and feelings are not always easy....But now that you can look at it through adult eyes and perspective you can challenge those irrational thoughts that send you to the cupboard or fridge. You are worth it and you are pretty and you should be proud of that fact. You go girl...... :D :D
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby alex_bilson » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:49 pm

hi.

well i have to admit, i have been avoiding coming on here since my splurge of information but here i am now!

I am actuaLLY going to go BACK on my eating planning, i perhaps just needed a little break. i am finding the exercise is benefitting me already, esp. the yoga i think, and weights, just helping my posture, and i feel stronger etc.

But ever since I began exercising more, I have been using it as a free ticket to eat whatever the hell I want, hence, the effects of the exercise are not as great!!

So starting Monday, the planning begins again.

This weekend is a big weekend of festivites and so there's little point planning there.

I am also going to try harder to set aside the time each day to read a little of my bob greene book.

Looking greatly forward to upping the health along with the exercise :)

Looking very forward to kickstarting my festive weekend with a cardio session thenn pump class in the morning!! yay!

See you all monday, enjoy your weekends,

Alex.
[/url]
alex_bilson

Postby KimE » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:21 am

Hi Alex
Thanks for your honesty, its not easy to pour your heart out like that and I for one appreciate it as I am sure many others do too.

As to the exercise it is great you are enjoying it as it makes the it a lot easier. I also find I enjoy it and now a day is a little off if I don't get to do something even if it is a simple brisk walk to the shops and back. I try not to use exercise as a reason to eat crappy though. The exercise I do is to make my heart and body healthier, to make my bones and muscles stronger and yes it assists in the calorie deficit for weight loss, however, I do pretty much the same amount regardless of what I have eaten. I don't think of it in terms of I have to do an extra 1/2 hr because I had a choccy biscuit. If I have the choccy biscuit I cop it on the chin and do the same amount of exercise. I do change the intensity of my workouts if I need to challenge my body or if I want a bigger calorie deficit. That's my take on the exercise thing and I find it keeps me focused on eating well so the exercise will be beneficial to weight loss as well as my health.

Anyway I have rambled enough. Glad to see you are excited about getting back on track. Have a great weekend. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:00 am

Hi alex

dont feel ashamed mate, just get back on the wagon we all have our off days. have a great weekend of festivities- go you swannies!! and iam looking forward to reading your posts this week!

best wishes
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:21 am

Hey Alex it is great to have you back!! As Kate said we all have our off times. The best thing to do is not to worry about past issues, just look up and then on the now. We are here to help you whenever you need it matey!!

That is some sound advice on exercise Kim.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby alex_bilson » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:46 pm

hi hi-

just checking in :) Haven't been planning the food this week, but it's been ok. I am getting sick AGAIN. I don't know if there's just been a lot going around this year, but I have never had so many sore throats/colds/flu as this year. Anyway um it's not as bad this time. Bad enough to skip the gym this morning... didn't feel up to it.

I had to pop some pills for work and some more just then as I am off to my debut game of soccer tonight!!! I am excited but nervous!!! A few girls in our team haven't played before so yeah it should be funny if anything...

unfortunately Mr. You Know Who (current disasterous boy story) is going to be there, in the guys team. Makes it worse. Yeah apprently he's been hanging round with this new girl which has been a bit hard to take thinkin about but yeah. Might just have to use some creative visualisation with the soccer ball...

Ok well ... i'm off. byebye.
[/url]
alex_bilson

Postby Ally » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:59 pm

I hope you don't get too sick again Alex...There is so much flying around everywhere isn't there??

Enjoy your debut soccer game and try not to let that fella get you down!!
[/url]
Ally

Postby alex_bilson » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:54 pm

Hi everyone.

I haven't been here for a record 20 days... but I intend to be back.

I just have my gym shoes on and am ready to head there.

Just have been going through some awkward transitions as follows:

I was eating conciously/well for a while.

THEN joined the gym and immediately began eating ANYTHING I WANTED. Reward?

Put on a kg or two, got despondant, kept eating bad, was a little busy, and stopped consistant gyming for the past two weeks.

So basically I had a little trouble with balancing the two eating well and exercising together. I was playing one off the other and ending up in trouble.

What I have come away with, what I have learnt (thankfully in a reasonably short period of time [weeks]) is that you need balance between the two.

I have been eating anything and everything for the past couple of weeks and can feel a little difference in my body, nothing drastic. However, it's my mentality and health that are really affected.

So I am here to declare that I will be concentrating on BALANCE from now on.

This week I started a new system of planning my gym sessions according to my calendar for the week.

I also am going to try a different approach to my food recording... I am doing away with the morning planning, but I will try to eat conciously at all times. Really think about what's going in there, and yes, will plan in my head as much as necessary. I am not taking a radical approach to eating... I will eat what I like, but I am thinking I am wanting to eat well anyway, coz the crappy stuff doesn't give me the happy's!!

Well my new day begins tomorrow, I will weigh on Friday.

Today I realised that I must do this... I refuse to spend another summer shying away from waterways.

Must head to the gym. See ya...

Alex. :)
[/url]
alex_bilson

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:19 pm

Hi alex
its nice to see you back and making some new choices in regards to your weightloss. well done on the gym joining... i bet you feel better for it already!

best wishes with your new goals and you will look great for summer :) yay!!!
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:51 am

Hey Alex, I was wondering where you got to!! Good to have you back. Good on you for making the choices you have! I wish you all the best with the gym and you new healthy eating plan...keep us updated!!
[/url]
Ally

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress