It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:11 am

Free Newsletter

Maidenvain's Weightloss Journey

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Maidenvain's Weightloss Journey

Postby Maidenvain » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:59 am

Hi everyone
Day 1 on Duromine today... so far so good feeling great...Have been overweight since i was put on a very strong contraceptive pill at 13 and have struggled ever since. Soon after that at 14 the dr put me on Tenuate Dospan, which from memory is like Duromine, but now off the market... I cant remember if it worked i was too self absorbed as a teenager to remember. But since the age of 14 i have had Body Wraps, Hospital Dietitians, Gym Memberships, WW, Body4Life, Personal Trainers, Liteneasy, The natural way, Hypoxy, That soup diet that cardio patients get, lemon detox, the low gi diet, you get the drift! Ive been successful (and when i say successful, i mean kept it off for 6 months) twice before, once on WW teamed with Walking daily and Tae Bo and Pump Classes.. and the 2nd time with Liteneasy, personal trainer for weights and Spin Classes. When im doing the exercise, i love it, and feel fabulous afterwards. Im not a bad eater, i don't overeat, one good thing with all the diets over the years is that my stomach cant take alot of food, so i eat normal sized meals, i eat quite slowly and chew well. I struggle with high protein diets as im not a massive fan of looking at, smelling, cooking or eating meat, the high protein diets ive tried, ive overdosed on protein so that the thought if it made me physically ill, so now i can only handle that every couple of days, luckily i like nuts, seeds, tofu, eggs etc. I suppose i do love certain non diet foods, im not gonna call them bad foods because everyone eats them, and moderation should be ok right? And i dont binge or purge... My sister was anorexic when she was young and only stopped just before she had children, and with the help of Overeaters Anonymous, and she was thin, i dont know how many times ive wished i could do that too, Ive never tried, because my brain wont let my body do it, and i know thats a good thing.... But when i dont see results after weeks, or months of trying the right way, the motivation goes away and you wonder why you are doing it. I try to tell myself if i keep doing it , something will move, and at least its healthy right, but then still nothing changes and i think, stuff this, i could be doing something else right now!

I just spent last weekend with my family and in speaking to my sister and brother inlaw, i remembered he is on Duromine (hes 135kgs and 6ft4) and it works for him.. So i started researching it on the internet and reading forums such as this one. My interpretation of what people are saying is that there are some not very nice side effects, and some get them and some dont, but if you look after yourself, eat right, keep hydrated, and exercise off the extra energy, then they can be ok and bearable. I seem to think at least 80% of the people on it or that have been on it have lost weight, and great inspirational amounts. The issue is that it may be used as a crutch, and then not maintainable when the Duromine ends. I can deal with the side effects, if i see a positive result. And if i see a positive result i will want to keep up the diet and exercise to add to the positive result... Momentum is what im looking for... Not a crutch to do it all for me. I will form good habits, and create a lifestyle for the rest of my life! I decided to book a Dr appointment....

I took my teenage dr records with me and showed her all my history, and in a nutshell she said no because they are addictive and a narcotic, according to her (after googling Duromine to see what it was!) She really upset me, because she didn't even weigh me or take my blood pressure.. When i asked her, she said 'oh do you want me to weigh you'. Doh, even i know she should have done at least those two things... So she went on to offer me Surgery! I was shocked.... maybe because that was very confronting.. I mean i had looked at it in the past, but not seriously, and I asked her what the hell shrinking my stomach to the point where if i ate too much i was sick, was going to teach me? Ill just have to top up on other vitamin pills etc, so why cant she just give me these ones im asking for! (can i just add now that after i calmed down and went home, i did more research and understand this treatment alot more now, and if duromine's not for me, well i might have a look down this track, as it does seem pretty successful, but for me a total last resort). So i left the doctors surgery in tears.. its hard to admit to a stranger that your fat, and unmotivated and have a problem, and they just think your a drug addict wanting a fix!. I was so upset that i got determined, so i called my local pharmacist and asked if they dispense Duromine, and if they did could the recommend a Dr they know who may prescribe it. The pharmacist asked me all abut my height and weight and age and all the important stuff that the previous Dr should have, and she said it sounds like im a good candidate for it so she told me of a Dr that she knew of, but also said that i should not get my hopes up. She also said that the Australian Government is really pushing the Lap Band Surgery and thats why the Dr would have promoted it to me....

So Dr visit no 2, new doctor, and guess what, he weights me, takes my blood pressure and confirms my height and BMI!!! I tell him all the same things, he offers me Optislim instead, i told him i'm hell bent on trying Duromine, so he agrees, and puts me on 15mg for the first month. He was in no way giving it away to me, he was very professional and cautious and talked to me about all the side effects, and he was compassionate. And this brings me to you guys. I cant tell my friends, i suppose i could but in their eyes im always starting something new, and i suppose im scared of failing again, so im not going to tell them. They also tell me im beautiful and i look great, which is lovely, and i love them so much for it, but i am the only "overweight person in the village", and im not in denial about it....

So here I am , day 1, and im wondering how im going to sleep tonight... Gonna go for a walk/run after work, and im also doing calorieking to keep track of what im eating. Will keep you posted.... T
Maidenvain

Re: Maidenvain's Weightloss Journey

Postby emmer138 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:21 pm

Whoa! What a big, overwhelming post! I really enjoyed reading it though.

I know exactly how you feel with shitty doctors! That's why I was so scared to go try get duromine! The lady I saw was a bit rude, but gave me duromine so that was ok.. But isn't it horrible when doctors can't even do their job?

What's your height and weight? And your goal weight?

Another thing, I was on duromine for a month, then it lost its effect, and I've been fine since.. I've got a prescription at home for my 2nd month that I haven't used and I've been off duromine for about 2 months now I think.. And I'm thinking of having a couple here and there, only because I'm becoming hormonal and stuff lately!

Anyways, I really hope you get everything your looking for in duromine. I started taking it for the same reasons as you :) motivation! And after I lost that first chunk of weight in month 1, I had enough motivation to keep going for 2-3 months :-D yay!
WEIGH-INS
9/12/2013 - 93.7kg

GOALS
To reach 91.7kg by 23rd Dec (2kg loss / BMI 32.11)
To reach 87kg by 27th Jan (7kg loss / BMI 30.46)
To reach 81.7kg by 17th Feb (10kg loss for Soundwave 2014 / BMI 28.61)
To reach 78.7kg by 31st March (15kg loss for my birthday / BMI 27.56)
To reach 75kg by 19th May (18.7kg loss / BMI 26.26)
To reach 70kg by 4th August (23.7kg loss / BMI 24.51)

emmer138

Postby Maidenvain » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:07 am

hey emmer138, thanks for the feedback.. good to know. Slept like a baby last night, that was the main thing that was worrying me, and when i started to feel tired i was so happy!
Im 5ft 8 and 103kgs. The lowest ive been in adult life is 75 and id like to get about there again. :D
Maidenvain

Postby Maidenvain » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:41 am

Week 1 weigh in and i am now 101kgs. Well i got on the scales twice and one said 101 and one said 100... Im going to take the 101 as the number and am pretty happy with the 2kg loss. I havent had any side effects from the duromine apart from a headache one afternoon, but i think that was from not drinking enough water. Ive slept every night, in fact im getting tired about 8pm, and i dont think i have extra energy. So will see how i go for this month and may the dr will put me on the 30g next month.. im not sure what his decision criteria might be? Im counting calories on CK and its great.. have used it before on an off, but im committed to it now.... Lets see if i can get into the 90's next week! :D
Maidenvain

Postby emmer138 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:31 am

well done! i think you'll definitely be in the 90s by next week :D
WEIGH-INS
9/12/2013 - 93.7kg

GOALS

emmer138

Postby Maidenvain » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:24 pm

Ive been on the duromine for 2 weeks now and lost about 2kgs depending on what scales. But its a zero loss for this week. I think i need the stronger dose as i don't feel any different, and haven't had any of the side effects, its certainly not given me extra energy, and im getting tired around 6pm, so sleeping really well! Ive started group training in a park by my place twice a week, so did that Tues and today (very sore, but that will pass). My blood tests came back with high cholesterol at 7.4 i think, but and it should be under 5.5, so the dr has put me on metformin too which is an insulin controlling pill to lower the blood sugar or something. From what ive read it works for weight loss a too, so im taking both of them, but not really seeing anything. Its used for Poly Cystic ovary syndrome too, which i dont think i have but have not been tested for it. It has taken away alot of cravings but im not diabetic and i would have thought the dr would put me on a cholesterol lowering pill, not sure, maybe they are just hoping the duromine and metformin will help me lose weight and lower the cholesterol naturally? Ive also been referred to a dietitian and exercise physiologist. Its just finding the time to fit it in, and im not too concerned about that too much because ive seen two dietitians before, but maybe i have a food intolerance so they can tell me about that.... Im using calorieking.com.au to track all my food, and water and exercise, and they say i should have about 1620 calories a day and im staying around that.... at least i can track it then print it out for the doctor if nothing moves... Im gonna call the dietitian and try and get in for next week, so will let you know how that goes.
Maidenvain

Postby emmer138 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:37 pm

i felt the same with duromine.. it was good for the first couple of weeks, then it didnt do much at all.. so i stopped using it, and thankfully, i've stayed on my weightloss track since! when i started using duromine, i was scared i'd get addicted or something haha thank god i didnt!

hopefully your cholestrol gets lower :( i think once you lose some more weight, it'll get better, and the meds the doc gave you will help! good luck :D
WEIGH-INS
9/12/2013 - 93.7kg

GOALS

emmer138

Postby Maidenvain » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:20 am

Hi, Ive been seeing the dietitian that my dr referred me to for two weeks now and according to her scales ive lost 600g in two weeks, her scales put me higher that mine and i havent jumped on mine since ive seen her. She has given me some good information which im going to do, but i have also stepped up to the 30mg Duromine on Saturday. So far so good, still ok with the sleeping which is great!! And hopefully it will make some of this weight move. Im off to Bali in 6 weeks so it better!!!
Maidenvain

Postby Maidenvain » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:20 pm

weighed myself last week and i was 99, and this week (today) i was 100... duromine 30's are ok, but dont really know that they are doing anything. In fact im surprised that im not really loosing much just with the changes to my diet alone... I think i might just be resistant to them, as i have Zero side effects. My new Dr is committed to finding out why i cant lose weight so thats good, will see him in two weeks and see what he thinks!
Maidenvain

Postby Maidenvain » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:38 pm

98.5 kgs this morning, wrapped with that!
Maidenvain

Postby Maidenvain » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:20 am

Well im back in the game. Managed to keep the same weight over christmas and new years, without the duromine so stoked about that. Last week i started back full time on the Duromine and also on Optislim twice a day. Down to 96kgs this morning. Im also back in the gym doing the Couch 2 5K running program, but as i tend to get really bad shin splints im just gonna keep on the interval training of its too much, and not focus on running for 5ks... have my heart rate monitor and in 30 mins im burning 350 calories with the intervals... All good here...
Maidenvain

Return to Personal Progress