It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:09 pm

Free Newsletter

starting again on the road to health!

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

starting again on the road to health!

Postby wilmawalrus » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi all

Well, it's been a while, but I'm back (as I see others are - it makes me feel a little better to know I'm not the only one trying again) and have started strongly. Two weeks ago, bloated and up to an all time non-pregnant high on the scales, I went to see a naturopath/nutritionist recommended by a friend. She has put me on a four week detox which includes a LOT of supplements and I am currently excluding the following: wheat, alcohol, dairy, red meat, sugar, coffee and tea. This actually leaves quite a lot of choices, surprisingly! The eating plan is based on the Eat Right for your Blood Type diet, which normally includes red meat (I am cutting it out during detox). The supplements include chinese herbs to detox the liver, a chinese gut detox capsule, magnesium, efamol (evening primose and fish oil together), digestive enzymes and a few others.

I am two weeks in, and five and a half kilos gone!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D I lost nearly four kilos in the first week, so a lot of that was water and bloating for sure.

I can still have bread (but not wheat based - spelt bread or rye mountain bread) and no starchy carbs after 1.30 pm. I have borrowed the blood type diet book from the library and from the little I've read so far, it makes scientific sense to me. The naturopath did say though that I can still have things like wheat, dairy etc once I've lost the weight but only occasionally (ie. once a week). To know that I can still have a bowl of pasta every so often, or soft cheese (mmmm...cheese) makes me more determined to stick to this. It has certainly been a challenge starting this just before Easter :?

I am feeling pretty good generally. It would be great to actually get back to the gym and really consolidate everything, but school holidays and husband overseas for work has put paid to that! I'm also pretty pleased that I've lost this much weight without really exercising - hopefully when the hols are over and I'm back at the gym three times a week, it will be even better.

The naturopath said this should take me about 12 weeks or so to get to goal, so keep your fingers crossed! Really glad to see everyone else is kicking goals too - it's nice to be back and see everyone encouraging each other.

Onwards and upwards!

Lisa xx

Finished detox but staying on track - and it's paying off!!
wilmawalrus

Re: starting again on the road to health!

Postby curvygirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:34 am

Lisa Welcome back and good luck with your journey. Looks like you are off to a flying start.
Need to get motivated.

Mini Goal - 10 Kilos lost 14th May Acheived 2nd May, Yahoo
1st goal - 100kg 5th July
2nd goal - 90kg 4th October
3rd goal - 85kg 15th November
4th goal - 80kg 20th December
5th goal - 70kg 3rd June 2011
curvygirl

Postby wilmawalrus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:23 am

Thanks Curvygirl!!

Another half kg gone...it's been very tricky this week to avoid indulgent stuff. Royal Easter Show - my sum total of consumption in 9 hours there was a peppermint tea, chicken and salad wrap brought from home, and takeaway vegetarian Indian meal (about half of it). Then out for lunch yesterday and dinner last night. It's paid off though - it's almost TTOM and I'm losing weight.

Only one more week, and then treats can come in occasionally (and coffee - phew!)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Lisa x

wilmawalrus

Postby wilmawalrus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:12 pm

well, four weeks on detox is complete. I kind of officially ended it last night, as it was my sister-in-law's 50th birthday. Had champagne (not too much and lots of water in between drinks) and it was a cocktail party, so just little tastes of everything (many of them quite healthy - sashimi, beetroot salad etc, even gluten free cake (my brother-in-law is coeliac). Unfortunately, as I hadn't had very much to eat during the day (missed lunch), my silly brain said when I came home "oh, go on, it's your night off!" so had half a pitta pizza left over from kids dinner (veggies and a little ham and cheese) and some chocolate (again, a small amount).

It is truly amazing that I have been able to hold myself in check for a whole month, and the minute that I allow myself a little slack, the brain kicks in and says "give up"!!!!

Back to being strong today. I am fully intending to keep going with the basics of the detox regime (no wheat, next to no dairy, no carbs after lunch) until all the extra weight is GONE! I can bring back red meat (yippee) and some more fruit, and can have soy milk every other day (so the occasional coffee out won't be a drama). I am also allowed to have the occasional treat (occasional means twice a week tops says my nutritionist!) so a glass of wine, a bit of chocolate, etc will be ok and not make huge differences to the weight loss. As I can make substitutions ie. spelt bread for wheat bread, rather than cutting bread out completely, I know I'm going to be able to sustain this method of eating long-term.

Just making yummy mushroom and cannellini bean soup - I bought this soup at an organic supermarket, and it was delicious, so am giving it a try at home. It's turned autumn-y in Sydney today - cool and windy, so warm soup on a Sunday night in front of Masterchef is perfect!

Hope everyone is enjoying their long weekend.

cheers, Lisa xx

wilmawalrus

Postby wilmawalrus » Sun May 02, 2010 12:26 am

Another week down and another kilo gone...never to return, I hope :D

Red meat has made a welcome return this week - had lamb shanks and roasted veg last night, and my goodness I enjoyed it!
Have also had a couple of soy decaf coffees - SOO much better than the coffee substitute stuff. I've also had a lovely toasted spelt flake muesli for breakfast a couple of mornings.

I don't know why my brain seems to be sticking to the plan this time...haven't really craved anything that I can't talk myself out of (wine has been tempting me for a couple of days now, but I know I am saving up for tomorrow night when I have some friends over for dinner). I'm trying not to question it too much. Has anyone else had a scenario like that where it just becomes easy mentally? My head is always the part of me that finds losing weight the most difficult.

Have been getting back into the gym again too, which has been good. I've got a program update booked for next week, so hopefully that will motivate me even more. My hubby is back next week after 7 weeks away - am looking forward to surprising him!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend and is feeling good :D

Lisa xx

wilmawalrus

Postby wilmawalrus » Thu May 06, 2010 12:23 am

Had an update to my gym workout today - it's going to be challenging but it's time to push myself now. Looking forward to getting into it on Friday!

wilmawalrus

Postby wilmawalrus » Tue May 25, 2010 5:05 pm

Woo hoo - haven't seen 75 for a while!! :D The new gym program is definitely working, as there were blowouts over the weekend. Had pizza on Sunday night, and enjoyed it at the time, but realised later why I've given up wheat (and most dairy and processed meat) - blurgh!!

First pilates class in ages today and it didn't cause a headache, backache or anything else to ache (yet). That's going to be a regular feature of my Tuesdays from here on in.

Looks like everyone else around here is doing well at the moment - rock on!

Lisa x

wilmawalrus

Return to Personal Progress