It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:05 am

Free Newsletter

My Weightloss Odyssey

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

My Weightloss Odyssey

Postby nothing2lose » Fri May 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Okay, decided it might be a good idea to keep a diary of sorts regarding my personal progress. It might help me stay on course and get where I want to be. So apologies beforehand for any self-indulgent rants, sooking, online tantrums and self-pitying wallowing that may fill the coming posts. Sorry guys!!
As I have said in previous posts, I am following the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Plan. This is low carb, low fat, protein rich eating plan. I think this is best for me. Although, in my opinion bread is truly God's gift to mankind ;) :lol: So not sure what I have signed myself up for!!
I am almost 39 and want to be fit by the time I am 40. I am sick of feeling ugly and tired.

I am going to post a "fat" pic to help me stay motivated. If I am getting off course and feeling sorry for myself, please feel free to point out this pic and tell me to shut up and get on with it.

My personal pledge for the weekend...

Go for two long walks
Make some soups for next week - 1) tomato and 2) chicken/veg of some sort
stay on the plan
fill the fridge with healthy bits and pieces

That's it for now

N2L
Attachments
fat me.JPG
a pic of me that I dont like
fat me.JPG (168.81 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A THIN PERSON....AND EVENTUALLY YOUR BODY WILL MATCH YOUR LIFESTYLE!

HW - September 2008 - 121.3kg :( :(
SW - 16 May 2010 - 110.4 kg :(
New SW - 6 January 2011 - 108 kg :(
First GW 99kg :) My aim is to reach this goal by April 15, 2011
nothing2lose

Re: My Weightloss Odyssey

Postby FatFukShrinking » Fri May 21, 2010 3:25 pm

Hey nothing2lose.

Great work putting up a pic and diary! We all need some where to have a little rant and talk to ourselves lol. It's good to look back and see how you progress too. Your weekend pledge sounds good, making meals ahead of time is a great tool. Sometimes i really really really don't feel like cooking, that's when it's great to pull out a frozen meal. The last time i made soup i put it in portion sizes in zip lock bags and froze. Then i'd just pull out a bag whenever i wanted, sooo handy!

I'll be watching your success and maybe even joining in on the sooking :lol:

SW: 121.3kg - 20/04/2010
First Goal: 109 kilos (Losing 10% of my body weight)
Second Goal: 99 kilos (Getting out of triple digits)
Third goal: 85 kilos (Getting back to a weight where i felt more like ME)
Ultimate long term goal: 60 kilos (Losing half of my start weight)
FatFukShrinking

Postby nothing2lose » Sat May 22, 2010 12:12 pm

Thanks FFS!

Notice how I am not brave enough to show my face :roll: :D

Please feel free to watch my progress. I am not getting that much encouragement at home. Mind you it is early days yet. But I think after hearing me say so many times "this time I am really going to do it" my partner is not putting that much stock in it. He very much is a man of action rather than words. (I am all words, no action :) ) If I am honest with myself, deep down I really don't think I will do it this time - or any time ever! But what can I do? Say stuff it and eat what I want and get fatter and fatter and start getting really unhealthy and even more unattractive? Or dabble in it and hope it will stick? I have to choose the latter. I have no option :(

Sheesh... I should have put ****WARNING***RANT AHEAD**** before that little blurt!

Anyhoo, I had a small win this morning. And it was small, but I guess lots of small wins make a BIG one!

I woke up needing pancakes. I use the word "need" because that's what it was. I didnt want pancakes, my body - no, my soul - ached for them. I should explain here that i have an unnatural fondness for two things in this world - pancakes and donuts. The best profile name on any forum I ever saw (ie. the one I thought was me) was "Pancake Sl*t". I have passed this obsession down to my little girl, who did me proud a fortnight or so ago when she announced she wanted to go to the Pancake Parlour for her birthday dinner (ahhh....it brings a tear to my eye just remembering it *sighs*)
Sorry, getting off the track!.....Anyway....I needed pancakes. I have two things at my disposal - a Greens Pancake Shake Mix AND a very good, and well worn, recipe for banana pancakes. I also have an unopened bottle of Pancake Parlour maple syrup - courtesy of the birthday dinner trip. I leap out of bed (today's exercise done!) and rush to my recipe and check out the carb content. BUBOWWWW :( Talk about carb loaded!
Mr Green and his trusty mix surely have to be better I tell myself, almost sprinting to the pantry. It's just powder stuff. All you add is water. How bad could it be?? NOOOOOOO! Bugger :( Bugger :( Bugger :( I feel like Mr Green has personally reached out from his plastic bottle and slapped me on the face. I looked at the high fibre muesli sitting on the shelf next to the Greens Bottle'O'Carbs. I like this muesli. But it is not pancakes.
All I have left is google (one of my other great loves). It's surprising how many hits you get when you type in "Low Carb Pancakes". Who'd have thought? Turns out most of them have almond meal as the main ingredient. Which is code for high fat. I only spent another hour or so scouring the internet for alternatives. My stomach growling the whole time. In the end I did what any other pancake-loving, low carb dieting woman would do....I had a small bowl of porridge.

So a win. A small one, but a win, nevertheless. Made a little sweeter by the fact the scales say I am two kilos lighter than when I started on Monday.

On the downside I kind of half heartedly said I might take my little one to the pool this morning and do acqua aerobics. It was at 10.15 and right now, as I sit here typing in my dressing gown and sipping my coffee, there are lots of committed women bobbing up and down the pool without me! I told myself it is too cold and we are recovering from colds (which it is, and we are) but the real reason is I hate exercise and I don't want to do it. I WILL go for a walk later though...promise ;)

That's all for now

N2L
LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A THIN PERSON....AND EVENTUALLY YOUR BODY WILL MATCH YOUR LIFESTYLE!

nothing2lose

Postby nothing2lose » Sun May 23, 2010 12:54 pm

First "Official" Weigh-In Day :roll:

I have decided to make Sunday my weekly weigh-in day. The reason being that I have been organising/cooking meals for the first couple of days of the week on Sunday and I figure I can either be shocked or encouraged into sticking to the low-carb, low fat way of eating through facing the scales beforehand.

So this morning, just after hopping out of bed and going to the loo, I got on. 108.2kg :) Of course, it would have been nicer if I had somehow woken in an alternative universe and the number was closer to 60kg, but it will do for now.

Another smallish win this morning. Felt like two pieces of Burgen fruit and muesli toast (which is really nice by the way!). I could have had it as I am "allowed" to have 3 units of bread/rice/potato/pasta-type stuff a day but it would left me with just 1 unit for the rest of the day. That seemed a bit scary to a carb-lover like me (a bit like withdrawing your life savings and leaving only 50 cents in your bank account with the mortgage due the next day!). I couldn't decide what to do so I went ahead and toasted two pieces. But the good news is I only ate 1 1/2 pieces! Yippee --- an extra half unit in my carb bank to use later on for lunch or dinner.

Didnt go for a walk yesterday afternoon as I said I would. So I HAVE to go today. My laziness when it comes to exercise astounds me.

That's it for now.

N2L

nothing2lose

Postby Sassyt » Thu May 27, 2010 12:14 am

Great loss there N2L
Well done keep at it!! :)
Happy weight - 78kg
Ultimate goal weight- 70kg
Sassyt

Postby FatFukShrinking » Thu May 27, 2010 11:16 am

Please feel free to watch my progress. I am not getting that much encouragement at home. Mind you it is early days yet. But I think after hearing me say so many times "this time I am really going to do it" my partner is not putting that much stock in it. He very much is a man of action rather than words. (I am all words, no action ) If I am honest with myself, deep down I really don't think I will do it this time - or any time ever! But what can I do? Say stuff it and eat what I want and get fatter and fatter and start getting really unhealthy and even more unattractive? Or dabble in it and hope it will stick? I have to choose the latter. I have no option

Ahhhh my family pretty much feel the same way, can't say i blame them. I have been saying for years that i will lose weight, i have even lost a fair bit of weight only to put it back on again and again. I'm like the boy who cried wolf when it comes to weightloss. If i actually manage to do it and get to goal, i know everyone will be shocked lol.

I honestly don't believe i will ever get to goal or get into a healthy weight range, but like you said there is only 2 options. Try to succeed or continue failing. I continue to try, hoping that some where inside myself i will pull out the strength i need to get the job done. Other people lose weight, it's not impossible. If someone told me i had to get to goal weight to save my families life... i'm damn sure i could do it. So why the hell can't i do it to save MY OWN life?? !!!!

Oh look at me breaking out into a rant lol. I'm sorry!

Congrats on the weightloss! Hey Pancake sl*t is a good name lol, ii've also heard people say "sugar sl*t" ... "the sugar sl*t is here" - referring to when we are craving sugary sweets. The sugar sl*t is a censored!

Mmm pancakes. Hey when i'm on a diet or eating healthy... i do this really weird thing, i start watching cooking shows. Huey's cooking, ready steady cook, masterchef. It's like i just want to see the food since i can't have it. Might be a form of self torture lol.

FatFukShrinking

Postby FatFukShrinking » Thu May 27, 2010 11:17 am

"the sugar sl*t is a censored"

LOL !! that was meant to say biatch

FatFukShrinking

Postby nothing2lose » Sat May 29, 2010 11:35 am

Thanks Sassyt and FFS!

I need encouragement -- in spades. Had a bit of a white knuckle day yesterday. Almost threw it all in. It just felt insurmountable -- that I would NEVER be able to beat this weight thing. :cry:

Even though I hate the term, I have been pretty "good" most of the week. Except Wednesday when I skipped breakfast and had a steak sandwich with some fries for lunch :roll: It was a "special occasion" as I was catching up with a girlfriend that I hadnt seen for ages. There were a couple of redeeming actions though...i guess.... :roll: ....
1. I didnt eat the big thick chunk of sourdough on top of the steak sandwich. Well, I left MOST of it anyway
2. I left some chips....about a third of them
3. I only drank water

Small, small things I know, but at least a slight concession to my new WOE (way of eating).

BUT then, while making my daughter's lunch that night (for the next day) I may have (okay, I DID) have a spoonful of Nutella.

aaaaaauuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY, WHY, WHY is this soooooooooooo friggin' hard?

Yesterday I was home from work and was just hungry all day. I am not sure if the intake of carbs the day before had anything to do with it (post me if you know if this is likely), but I WAS STARVING!

I did okay though. Not too bad. Just snacked on celery and skinny hummous, had a jarrah chocolatte, cup of soup and a small bag of air popcorn (no butter, etc). But to make it worse, the Other Half brought home some M&M cookies . And although he very graciously told me they werent that good, I think I salivated bucketloads watching him tuck in. It was hard though.
And just to torture myself well and good, later that night I watched Masterchef Masterclass. Wood fired pizza :cry:

Anyhoo, had a good breaky this morning. Feeling better.

I have some past-it bananas sitting there. Normally I would whip up some banana and coconut muffins. Or, even better, some banana pancakes. But I havent. So far I have resisted the temptation. I have spent a long time trying to tell myself if I make some high fibre banana bran muffins and had just one (yeah, right :lol: just one!!!)...

Oh well. Back on the horse.

That's it for now

N2L

nothing2lose

Postby nothing2lose » Sun May 30, 2010 11:20 am

2nd WEIGH IN

And the news isnt good. I have not lost ANYTHING!!!! :shock: :cry: :x

I feel a bit crappy but not as devastated as I should. Perhaps because I am (desperately) clinging to a couple of possibilities...

- I think my period is coming (hard to tell because I am very irregular)
- I am retaining fluid -- I can feel it in my legs and ankles
- I had a pretty big dinner last night of pasta which is still there (if you know what I mean)
- my stomach is really gassy and gurgly (how much do farts weigh? :lol: )

BUT THEN THERE ARE THE OTHER POSSIBILITIES...
- It could have something (ie. a lot) to do with the fact I am not exercising other than some incidental walking
- perhaps some of my serving sizes are too big. I am not being meticulous in my measuring
- I am not following the actual eating plan/menu as laid out in the book - just the guidelines. Maybe I need to be more strict and adhere to exactly what they say :(
- My meat may not be lean enough. Although it is all "heart smart" cuts.
- maybe my mid-week blow-out did more harm than I thought it would
- maybe I am destined to be huge all my life :( :( :cry: :cry:

So where to from here?

I guess I have to plow on and look a bit more closely at the things in my second list. I definitely need more (or even some!) exercise. And more measuring of the carbs. Maybe I should look at the calorieking website????

I have to keep doing this. I HAVE TO KEEP DOING THIS.

Any and all words of encouragement, kicks up the bum, harsh words or similar motivators most welcome.

Here's to a loss next Sunday

n3l

nothing2lose

Postby FatFukShrinking » Sun May 30, 2010 1:20 pm

You must have been doing something right to not have a gain! When i have a truly crap week i can gain like 3 kilos!

- not pooping out last nights meal
- getting your period
- retaining fluid

That could have been a 1 kilo loss right there that you were deprived of. I lost 100grams the week i was getting my period. I was so PO! (My period is irregular like yours so i didn't understand my small loss until my period hit). I only lost the 100grams because i went to the toilet before i weighed myself lol, otherwise i would have been the same weight. I refuse to weigh in before going to the toilet though haha.

Your little blow out in comparison with a week of healthy choices... is not enough to ruin things. So put this weigh ins results down to things out of your control. This week, drink more water. Eat more vegetables. Do a little exercise... and don't give up!!

I love those M&M cookies from coles and woolies. The fresh baked ones. I would kill for those, they really are good lol. I understand the salivating.

Pasta is a pretty heavy type of meal. I think if you weigh yourself in the next couple of days you will see a loss. When you see that loss, hang on to that feeling and don't weigh in again until your proper weigh in day. Sometimes it helps put you in a positive head space if you can just see a loss there.

You are doing soooo well to have to make lunches and resisting temptation. Nutella isn't that bad either. Every week is another step in the direction of our ultimate goals. We have to fight it out! It's not easy. You did good, if it were me and i started eating chips - i would have finished them!! I'd be sooo proud of myself for leaving chips on the plate lol.

Keep going!! :D :D

FatFukShrinking

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun May 30, 2010 2:23 pm

Like FatFukShrinking said, if you haven't gained then you're doing something right!

All the reasons you gave could explain why you haven't lost anything. Another thing to remember is that if you've increased your fibre intake you need to increase your water too. Otherwise it sets like concrete in your bowels and can make make the scales very unkind.

I think you'd be safe in sticking to what you're doing. If you haven't seen any change in two weeks then start making a few more changes. In my opinion (and many may disagree with me) you don't want to make too many changes all at once. This is for two reasons: when you make a dietary or exercise change your body adapts to try to stop you from losing weight. It makes evolutionary sense because it stopped our forebears from starving in times of famine but it's irritating when you want to lose weight! If you make a heap of radical changes your body will lose weight quickly to begin with, but once it adjusts it'll make it harder for you to lose weight later on because there won't be any changes left to make! And the second reason is that the more changes you make all at once the less likely you are to stick to your new healthy routine. Adding small changes gradually might make you lose weight more slowly, but you're more likely to make those changes habit and keep the weight loss off long term.

I think you're doing great! Good luck for the coming weeks!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby wilmawalrus » Sun May 30, 2010 10:44 pm

Try to have your starchy carbs at lunchtime instead of dinner, if you can. I have been (for the most part) doing this for the past 10 weeks or so, and have lost nearly 10kg!! Dinners for me include some lean protein and lots of veg or salad. It's quite amazing how different you feel when you don't have starchy stuff in your system (which can take a long time to digest).

Hang in there - it WILL shift soon in the downward direction.

Lisa x

Finished detox but staying on track - and it's paying off!!
wilmawalrus

Postby Patience&Persistence » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Hey N2L,

your post sounds just like mine. I guess persistence is key, and as much as i hate to admit and (and do it) perhaps measuring your portions could be somewhat helpful then you'll have more of an idea of how many calories you're consuming.

At least there is no gain though, just like all the others have said.

Goodluck and keep going, i'm sure if we stick with it the scales will eventually start moving again. As long as they're not going up then that's something at the very least.
Patience&Persistence

Postby Sassyt » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:34 pm

Hi N2L, Im just popping in to say hang in there dont let the "no loss week" put you down and dont even think for a second that you were meant to be big you entire life just take that out of your mind and focus on your positive attempts that you have made so far and just plot your way through. I am sure next week the scale will shift to south lol... :)

Good luck
Happy weight - 78kg
Ultimate goal weight- 70kg
Sassyt

Postby nothing2lose » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:53 pm

Thanks everyone!

It was good to read your posts of encouragement, especially as I am having a particularly crappy day today. Still no period and still no weight loss. What this means is either a) i have been stuck at a false pre-period weight for a week now (not likely) or b) for some reason i am not losing weight.
It is just frustrating because I have always found the first few weeks the easiest to shed the kilos.
Anyway, the strange thing is i dont feel like throwing it in...and I have no craving for chocolate or anything (luckily, because as I type, the other half is tucking into a family block of whittakers).
I will just keep on keeping on, wait until the next weigh in and regroup as necessary.
But I still might feel a bit sorry for myself in the meantime if it's okay with everyone!! :lol:

till next time

n2l

nothing2lose

Next

Return to Personal Progress