It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:59 pm

Free Newsletter

Badger's Sett

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: Badger's Sett

Postby buttless » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:37 am

good to see you back on here badger, glad to hear you had a great time in the country - wow fossicking that would be fun. Monday, back into it full steam ahead. have a great day
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wQ18xp3/]
buttless

Postby buttless » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:08 pm

hey badger, hows your week going so far????
buttless

Postby CronicBadger » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:37 am

A quick snapshot of my week?

Well, it's been one of constant temptation.
I was up in Uralla visiting my relatives and fossicking for gold and sapphire from Wednesday to Saturday. My nan made pavlova. Yum. The truckstop at Murrurundi (where I customarily stop for lunch on the way there and back) makes great hot chips and gravy. Do the math! :-)

From Sunday, my food diary shows:
Sunday
Comment: Cheese was the killer - about 75g, or 1000 kJ.
Breakfast: Vegetable stew (1000 kJ)
Lunch: 3 slices bread, hummus, cheese (2400 kJ)
Tea: Kangaroo stew (1500 kJ)
Misc: 2 marshmallows, almond milk, crackers, hummus, chocolate, cider (1700 kJ)
Total: 7200 kJ

Monday
Comment: Too much cheese, bread and wine!
Breakfast: 3 slices bread, cheese, hummus, kangaroo stew (2600 kJ)
Lunch: 2 slices bread, hommus, kangaroo stew (1600 kJ)
Tea: 5 slices bread, cheese, salmon (4800 kJ)
Misc: milk, wine (1600 kJ)
Total: 10600 kJ

Tuesday
Comment: Too much cheese. Snacked on a friend's popcorn at the cinema tonight.
Breakfast: Kangaroo stew (1000)
Lunch: 2 slice bread, salmon, cheese (1800 kJ)
Tea: onion, pumpkin, cheese, salmon (2300 kJ)
Misc: almond milk, wine, salmon, cherries, popcorn (3700 kJ)
Total: 8800 kJ

So it's not been good, but not a disaster either. As for exercise, I went walking Monday and will do so again Wednesday.
Striving to improve in every way possible.
CronicBadger

Postby buttless » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:22 am

CronicBadger wrote:A quick snapshot of my week?

Well, it's been one of constant temptation.
I was up in Uralla visiting my relatives and fossicking for gold and sapphire from Wednesday to Saturday. My nan made pavlova. Yum. The truckstop at Murrurundi (where I customarily stop for lunch on the way there and back) makes great hot chips and gravy. Do the math! :-)

From Sunday, my food diary shows:
Sunday
Comment: Cheese was the killer - about 75g, or 1000 kJ.
Breakfast: Vegetable stew (1000 kJ)
Lunch: 3 slices bread, hummus, cheese (2400 kJ)
Tea: Kangaroo stew (1500 kJ)
Misc: 2 marshmallows, almond milk, crackers, hummus, chocolate, cider (1700 kJ)
Total: 7200 kJ

Monday
Comment: Too much cheese, bread and wine!
Breakfast: 3 slices bread, cheese, hummus, kangaroo stew (2600 kJ)
Lunch: 2 slices bread, hommus, kangaroo stew (1600 kJ)
Tea: 5 slices bread, cheese, salmon (4800 kJ)
Misc: milk, wine (1600 kJ)
Total: 10600 kJ

Tuesday
Comment: Too much cheese. Snacked on a friend's popcorn at the cinema tonight.
Breakfast: Kangaroo stew (1000)
Lunch: 2 slice bread, salmon, cheese (1800 kJ)
Tea: onion, pumpkin, cheese, salmon (2300 kJ)
Misc: almond milk, wine, salmon, cherries, popcorn (3700 kJ)
Total: 8800 kJ

So it's not been good, but not a disaster either. As for exercise, I went walking Monday and will do so again Wednesday.

yummmmmm pavlova drooooolll, my all time favourite. Wow I don't know how someone can eat so much cheese, I did see some fruit in there so all was not too bad ha ha ha
buttless

Postby CronicBadger » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:04 pm

During the January-March Challenge my weight stayed at around 91-92 kilos. I was not surprised, since I'd slipped again into grazing. Not much, mind you; just a biscuit or two with my coffee, or a few pieces of toast with margarine, vegemite and cheese. An extra glass or three of shiraz every couple of nights...

Despite this, I had generally kept my regular meals light on kilojoules, so it all balanced out nicely with no major weight gain - or loss. For the AWL Challenge I had lowered the energy value of my regular meals, but I gradually increased snacking and gaving into temptation when eating out (crackers, dip, cheese cubes, yummy!).

Of course along with indiscriminate grazing and snacking come a drop in dietary quality: refined flours in the bread, biscuits, crackers. Fats in dips and cheeses. Sugars in wine. All resulting in a high Glycemic index, which is antipathy to weight loss.

However, for the past few weeks I've removed all snacking and grazing from my diet, and compensated by making strongly flavoured low-energy density food such as stews and curries. Cooking channels my thoughts of food into a practical activity instead of just eating. I buy food cheaply, usually on special for large amounts, then spend half a day cooking enough for a week, putting most of it in the freezer. I try to keep the average cost of meals to 50 cents per 1000kJ, and include plenty of fibre and good meat protein. Rice and pasta are added to help thicken the stews, but comprise less than a quarter of the energy value to maintain a low GI.

I've noticed how my recoveries from dietary lapses get easier each time once the initial few days of struggle are passed successfully.

The problem with my stews is that I tend to add extra water or ingredients every few days to extend it, which makes it hard to calculate an accurate energy value for a serving. I now just stick to a rule of thumb of 1500 kJ for each 500ml bowl of "sludge" comprising perhaps 20% leafy vegetables, 5% starchy root vegetables, 5% non-starchy bulbs, 10% meat, 10% rice and pasta, and 50% water.

My weight has steadily dropped to about 90 kilos over the past fortnight, reflecting the change in diet. Some of the loss will be water-weight, but there is definitely a loosening of clothing there and less feeling of being bloated.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:08 am

It is interesting how all those learnt skills come back so quickly to the finger tips once you start applying the mind to the idea of losing weight. I've just had a week where I lost a few kilos and it amazed me how quickly it all came together once I jumped on the bike. 8)

Bowl of "sludge"...my you make it soooo appealing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep up the solid work Badger...always enjoy reading your Badger Sett posts! :D

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Thu May 22, 2014 5:36 pm

Last year I was diagnosed with ADD and began non-drug treatment. The disorder explains a lot, especially some of the problems I have had focusing on weight-loss over my lifetime. The 50kg loss of a few years ago was surprising, but understandable due to a phenomenal amount of focus and dedication (and desperation!) combined with a relatively stress-free period of my life.

ADD is not an excuse for my past poor lifestyle choices, but does explain why it has seemed especially difficult to disengage from them.

I've now begun the drug treatment, reluctantly, as a last resort. However, that's not a cure - just a tool that corrects the mental focusing and reward-responses of the brain to allow effective planning and decision-making along with behavioural changes. The side-effects vary according to the individual, and may present another set of problems to my task of reducing weight and eating healthier.

I've already lost my taste for coffee and alcohol, and seem to have an increased desire for carbohydrates despite the nausea. But on the plus side (yes, I consider my retreat from coffee and alcohol a negative aspect!) I'm calmer and am displaying more precision than I and those around me can ever remember. That in itself is of no consequence though, unless I successfully direct it into positive actions to improve my education, health and lifestyle. The next few months will be interesting.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Fri May 23, 2014 12:12 am

Thanks for sharing this with us.

I'm glad that you aren't viewing this as an excuse. The hurdles that each one of us face are just part of our individual landscapes. It is how we choose to deal with them that makes all the difference. I've always fascinated about the difference in the lives of two people who have similar background but totally different outcomes. What makes one or breaks the other?

Remember...the greater the difficulty - the greater the glory! 8)

Very much looking forward to your upcoming updates on your journey.
Please post more frequently on this Badger's Sett I find it required reading and very interesting. :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Fri May 23, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks Kim. I also consider this thread required reading and very interesting - every now and then I read old posts just to get an idea of how I've changed (or not) and to measure my progress.

I'm a firm believer in personal choice, and responsibility. Not just responsibility for self, but those also affected by my choices. For example, when I first started my weight-loss journey in 2010 I was aware that my motivations were for both myself and those around me.

For myself, the primary motivation it was to be able to experience life without the physical, financial, social and emotional restrictions imposed by being overweight and unhealthy. For my relative and friends the benefits would vary between individuals: family members would be relieved that I was far less likely to die early, and that family group photos would not be unbalanced (or spoiled) by one awkward, unhappy, obese guy shoehorned into a bunch of thin, healthy, smiling people (yes, I was the only fatty among all my relations!). Friends would benefit by being able to dash around in public beside a fit, vigorous Marc instead of having a slow, wheezy, grumpy boat-anchor barely keeping up. For society in general, I am less of a burden on the health system, and by being more active and friendly I help in a small way to maintain a healthy and cohesive community (not just locally, but the country and beyond).

Of course, any change introduces a whole new set of problems, which is why I believe successful weight-loss should never be seen as the main goal of the weight-loss journey. I think those of us who experience a lifetime of obesity have associated emotional and behavioural problems that must also be addressed, otherwise the weight-loss is not going to improve our personal sense of satisfaction and well-being.

Regarding the making and breaking of people - I suspect the one thing that has more effect than any other on how a person copes is "attitude". Most situations can be framed in a certain way (bad, inconsequential, opportunity) and then approached with a certain attitude (defeatism, ignorance, enthusiasm) - combinations of these can create different, and unexpected outcomes. Personally, I try (but often don't succeed) to treat most situations as offering some sort of opportunity and to be approached with enthusiasm.
CronicBadger

Postby JP1 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi BS, I didn't realise you had dropped 50 Kg in your journey, that is something to be proud of and although I haven't commented it really seems like you have mostly got your act together.. I've noticed you have stagnated since XMas *at least?* and maybe now is the time to finish the job off.. not a lecture, believe me I have had my own problems with yoyo'g over the years but it would be a shame for you to leave the job unfinished..

JP
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 107 Kg (3 May 2019)
Current :105 Kg (17 May 2019)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014) : 99.2 Kg (31 May 2016) : 104.7 Kg (10 May 2019)
Target : 90 Kg by 9 Aug 2019
JP1

Postby Blitz » Sat May 24, 2014 2:51 am

Marc I only re-read your posts here just the other day. They certainly worth the read through and mulling over. 8)

True progress in this weight loss journey is about "getting real" - taking responsibility and making better personal choices.
For me, it was about stepping up and becoming the man I claimed to be. To get this area that was blatantly out of control and do the right thing for myself, my family and my God.
Laurence Olivier wrote an epitaph some time before he died and lodged it with his lawyers who leased it shortly after his death. In it he writes, "Like all other men, life trapped me into responsibility. Like all other men, I've resented it." I guess part of "growing up" is coming to terms about responsibility.

I think the core issue about attitude is character. The very essence of your "being" if you like. The interesting thing about that is the question; "what shapes character?

Kim
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:21 pm

My attitude to food is improving. There is less emphasis on immediate gratification and more on planning and deferred reward. They're concepts I practiced during my initial period of weight-loss a few years ago, but which gradually slipped away as I grew complacent.

I'm also experimenting with more variations of food and flavours, necessary as I reduce my intake of meat for health and ethical reasons. Vegetables can get boring.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:45 am

Sounds interesting. One of the things I found surprising about food during this journey is my discovery of "new" foods and my more sensitive palate. Food flavours are more enjoyable and I've gotten more adventurous about what I eat. 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:21 pm

I was at a Harris Farms store earlier today and they had "cosmetically imperfect" tomatoes for $1.50/kilo (last week the bin had potatoes for 80 cents).

I asked about "cosmetic imperfections" and was told that 30 percent of produce never left the farms because it was too big, too small oddly shaped or had windburn. The major stores don't want that sort of thing, even though particular fruit and vegetable varieties do not come in uniform shapes and colours. The 30% is either ploughed back into the ground, or used as animal fodder. The store is trying to promote these ignored items.

I bought several kilos, none will be wasted.

Later, I was doing some gardening for a friend and had been told that I could take from it what I liked. The lettuce and spinach was ignored as it was still growing, but the nasturtium and borage bushes were growing rampant and needed a severe pruning. I collected the leaves and flowers in a bag and took them home.

When I got home I pulled from the freezer a plastic bag of diced broccoli stems that I'd put in a few weeks ago after cooking the florets (it had been purchased on special for $1/kilo). Used also was a home-mixed curry (I like it strong and peppery, which is not available commercially).

It all went into the stew-pot, and when finally cooked, in went a handful of penne pasta to soak up the nutrient-rich water. Some of the thick stew will be frozen, the rest eaten over the next few days.

The stew ingredients are mostly what people consider as waste, but it certainly doesn't lack taste or nutrition. It made about 8 servings of about 800 kJ at a total ingredients cost (including the spices) of less than 20 cents a serve.

I've also returned to making my own oat-milk now that I've found a decent emulsifier. A handful of rolled oats, a pinch of salt, some stevia to sweeten, a few spoonfuls of lecithin granules and 10 ml olive oil blended together in a litre of water. The leftover mush in the strainer will be porridge for breakfast.

Bread, biscuits and most refined foods are gone from my diet (quite a struggle!) with the exception of pasta, which is sometimes used as a thickener in stews.

The effect is that my face is thinning and there is no longer that bloated feeling I had when eating refined carbs such as bread.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:30 am

Thanks for sharing that Marc.
I wouldn't even know how to begin making regular porridge...let alone boldly stepping out into the field of alchemy as you have done!

I like how you have made a real effort to get back to "real food"...all power to you! :D 8)

Kim
Blitz

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress