It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:00 pm

Free Newsletter

Badger's Sett

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: Badger's Sett

Postby CronicBadger » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:50 am

Another week without bread and biscuits! It's getting easier now. I've found that when I get a craving for easy carbohydrates and begin to move towards the pantry I just stop for a minute - not forever. And then I reevaluate and stop for another minute. And then for another, and so on, until the craving disappears. I promise myself that I'll reevaluate my stance later instead of a straightforward denial, thus leaving open the "possibility" of a binge, and this seems to give me a psychological edge. Of course I only do this for acute cravings - I outright prohibit regular consumption of junk food.

It's still difficult, especially when a craving could be temporarily relieved if I retrieve a few crumpets from the pantry, bung 'em in the toaster and then slap margarine on top, followed by a lashing of vegemite topped with a cheese slice (insert here a visual image of Homer Simpson's food-gargle).

I have closely observed when I binge and think it's less to do with general stress and more likely associated with the feeling of not being in control of a situation. My subconscious thinking might be "If I am not in control of my immediate circumstances then I also have no control over my cravings", and this is temporarily relieved by the act immediate gratification of satisfying a craving.

Here's a thought: perhaps the cravings are manufactured by my subconscious specifically as a way to provide temporary relief from the feeling of not being in control!

So one thing I've been trying is to short-circuit these occasional feelings of lack of control by taking some sort of mitigating action, either practical or symbolic. It seems to work.

Which may explain why I found it so easy to loose the initial 50 kilos: I'd associated my obesity with major health and social problems, and thus by losing that weight I was solving or minimising those problems. So, during my initial weight-loss I was in control of all those immediate problems, and this then fueled a positive cycle of improvement. But now that I'm relatively healthy I have a new set of immediate problems no longer masked by the problems caused by my weight issues, and not fixable by further weight-loss. These new problems require other solutions for which I need to develop other types of habits.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:51 am

Another thought provoking post Marc...thanks! 8)

I like the idea of the minute stops on the way to the pantry. Gives you a chance to talk yourself out of it and think it through.

There is greater motivation to fight off cravings and thought temptations during initial weight loss because of the dynamics at work. You are more "mission orientated" towards reaching goal weight. You are on a roll...big weight has been moved and you don't want to stop the juggernaut's progress. You are seeing health benefits starting to pay dividends in your life...it is fresh and you can more readily connect it to choosing to eat better.

On the other side of the coin, it is harder to get that mojo working during maintenance or taking back a gain. The big mind trap is that the urgency of losing has gone. The mind is so confident that it can lose weight that it is hard to actually seriously engage in the process. When faced with temptation the thought that plays in the back of our mind is "yeah...if you overindulge don't worry you can make it up later". In Aesop's tale of the Hare and the Tortoise, the hare ended up blowing the race because of his over confidence. He simply didn't take the race seriously enough and ended up running out of time.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:04 pm

My weight has been hovering under 90 kilos for the past few days, so it appears that the past few weeks of dietary change have paid off.

No binges have occurred. The only bread and biscuits I've eaten have been at social occasions, and that was in moderation. I've cut portions down to a more sensible size, and whenever I know I'll be eating out at a cafe or restaurant I balance it by eating a small snack instead of a full meal on either side of the outing. I think that's the important thing - I don't ban the naughty foods, but instead set a general rule that they're occasional treats.

If I have wine with a meal I cut out the equivalent amount of kilojoules. For example, today I had a glass of red, so removed 450Kj from my meal to balance it.

My self-cooked meals are generally low in energy by keeping them high in fibre and water content, low in fats, sugars and refined carbs. This, plus portion control, has ensured my daily intake is low enough to promote weight-loss. I've now locked myself into a habit of considering bread and biscuits as not a part of my normal diet but just as an occasional small treat, and I don't think I'll slip up anytime soon.
CronicBadger

Postby DD Diva » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:08 pm

Well done for hovering CB,

I know it's probably too early to get excited and "WOO HOO" (you with applause) but I reckon if you keep hovering around the 90 mark you should be at least that, or (fingers crossed) even lower come your actual weigh in day!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:58 am

Sounds like you are pretty happy with the amount you are eating Marc.
That leaves one lever left to shift that extra weight...have you thought about increasing your exercise or changing what sort of exercising you are doing?

Kim
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:57 am

*sigh* I dislike exercise.

But I certainly need to increase the amount of exercise I currently do. For the next few weeks I'll double my walking distances and try to sustain a faster walking pace.
CronicBadger

Postby DD Diva » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:16 am

CronicBadger wrote:*sigh* I dislike exercise.

But I certainly need to increase the amount of exercise I currently do. For the next few weeks I'll double my walking distances and try to sustain a faster walking pace.

I used to feel the same way, actually I still do!!! :lol: I STILL don't like exercise, only difference is I don't call it "exercise" anymore, not sure what I call it, but I guess because my view has changed towards activity I don't perceive much of what I do as exercise. :D Once upon a time getting off the couch to take a few short steps to the fridge for a snack was a task, and often I'd hear myself pleading with other family members in the fridge's vicinity "oh honey can you bring me over......???" :oops: These days if I can't get to the gym for more than a day straight, or at least get outside for at good solid 30 minute (brisk paced) walk, I go batty!!! :shock:

Why not try and find an exercise that doesn't feel like exercise?? ("Is this possible" I hear you ask) YES!!!

There's lots of stuff out there, sure there's dance type classes like Zumba, or less taxing yoga etc but too girlie? Okay, how about tennis or squash, volleyball, all indoor stuff and in the warmer weather kayaking or rowing??? There's always aqua-aerobics; it's physical, fun, easy on the joints and indoor so the weather isn't an issue.
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:57 am

CronicBadger wrote:*sigh* I dislike exercise.

We all dislike exercise...that's how we got to where we were/are.
Actually it is a bit like catch 22...the less fit we get - the less likely we feel like exercising.
It is beginning it that is the hardest bit. When I first started to lose weight I just worked the food lever...by the second week I came to the reluctant conclusion that exercise had to be part of the solution (deep down I knew it but every fool lives in hope :lol: ). Even these days I delay starting my exercises all the time...yet once I get going I'm fine with it.

Josie is right about trying to find something that doesn't seem like exercise to you because you enjoy it.
At the very least try and find something that you can live with and tolerate.
For me...I enjoy jogging and swimming - but find it hard to fit them in regularly.
But I can tolerate the exercise bike (by watch TV and DVDs while on it) and know that it gives me the fastest results so it fits my lifestyle well.

Kim
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:01 am

Oh and I should have added, when you find something you enjoy, (for the best results) do it till it hurts!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:37 am

DD Diva wrote:Oh and I should have added, when you find something you enjoy, (for the best results) do it till it hurts!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

The saying is "no pain - no gain" but in our case it's "no pain - no loss!" :lol:

Kim
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:38 am

Blitz wrote:
DD Diva wrote:Oh and I should have added, when you find something you enjoy, (for the best results) do it till it hurts!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

The saying is "no pain - no gain" but in our case it's "no pain - no loss!" :lol:

Kim

No you had it right first time Kim, it is "no pain - no gain"!!! I didn't put myself through the pain, and (with healthy eating alone) had no gain!!! Well at least, not of muscle anyway.

Exercise will build muscle.
Muscle weighs more than fat.
So the scales will (at times) go up!!!

It's during those weeks that you have to use your clothes as a gauge and not the scales. You may weigh more in those weeks, however you're reshaping your body, toning and building a stronger fitter body. All good, but it won't show on your scales the way you'd like it to (ie. as a loss) :cry:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:54 am

DD Diva wrote:You may weigh more in those weeks, however you're reshaping your body, toning and building a stronger fitter body. All good, but it won't show on your scales the way you'd like it to (ie. as a loss) :cry:

This is where you come to grips with long term benefits of being healthy and fit rather than thinking in terms of thin or fat. What is the use of a thin body if it isn't toned, stronger and more fit. Health is more than a number...it is all about overall well being.

Towards the end of our weight loss journey is where a lot of muscle building occurs. Often this is muscle that had wasted away with fat when we were losing weight big time. This is one of the reasons why weight loss at the pointy end of the journey slows down dramatically - muscle building and fitness is being built. 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:11 am

Thanks Kim,
I won't comment too much and hijack CB's thread, but yes I agree, the pointy end of the journey is TOUGH!!! :shock:
Lucky for me I enjoy being physical (OMG did I say that???) I actually really enjoy going to the gym and walking everywhere I can!!! And CB, that's the key....finding activity that will get you moving but that is more about enjoyment rather than perceived as something that has to be endured. If you hate it, you won't keep at it, and if you don't keep at it, you won't get stronger/fitter and healthier.
Make it fun, and make it continuous.
You'll get there. :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:39 am

But the key thing is to give all sorts of activities a go and a chance.

If you were to tell me that I would actually enjoy going jogging or walking when I was huge - I would have thought you were crazy!
In that world walking from the car parked in front of the takeaway shop was an effort only to be endured so as to load up on the sugars and fats! Nowadays I walk 20 minutes to the local markets for a cup of coffee and carry a backpack full of fruit back home - all in the name of fun! :shock: :lol:

It is amazing how life has changed...and how my attitude to exercise has changed! 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby Rocca » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:16 pm

As I've said in my own threads, I'm a big fan of incidental exercise and this can be a big contributor to weight loss - there's lots of research to back this up (Here's where I guiltily admit that I work for the state health promotion organisation!)
If you catch public transport, get on/off a stop or two after/before to build in some extra walking time, or park further away if you drive, or ride to work. Stand on the bus/tram/train instead of sitting. If you have a desk job the amount of time spent sitting can have a drastic impact on weight - get up regularly, walk to someone's desk to have a chat instead of phoning or emailing. We are lucky enough to have access to "standing desks" at my work (next step, treadmill desks!). Go for a walk around the block at lunch. At home, try and do activities/chores that involve movement, or even standing up. Sometimes I make up a reason for needing to go to the shops so I have to walk there, as I'm not a fan of "going for a walk" just for exercise. I'll only get one thing so I have to go back the next day for something else. If I'm dreading a whole hour on the treadmill I'll opt for strength exercises instead - they usually get me puffing just as much and I love the feeling of my muscles being sore the next day.

Anyway I'll stop now, but my point is that you can get results from building physical activity into your day rather than trying to set aside time every day to visit the gym or dedicate to "exercise". I talk myself out of a trip to the gym much more easily than I talk myself out of a trip up the stairs (instead of the lift) at work.
Rocca

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress