It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:47 am

Free Newsletter

Badger's Sett

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: Badger's Sett

Postby Blitz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:27 am

Sometimes there are foods that are just too much a part of us and that the only way to manage them is by going without them in our lives.
I read a book that talked about how some foods have such a deep association with happy memories that the brain craves them because of the association with those times. For example; if you use to have a hot dog with your Dad when you went to support your local sporting team at a game then naturally there are echoes of that playing in the back of your head each time you have a hot dog. Most of these associations can be broken but some of them run very deep and are very hard to break.

It may be "smoke and mirrors" but if it works - then let it work! 8)

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:24 am

I've cut down coffee to just a few cups per week. During the day, water rules. It's yet another bad habit that is slowly disappearing.
CronicBadger

Postby CronicBadger » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:49 pm

A Christmas with the least damage ever. No bread. Not too much booze. No overeating. Two days of leftovers and I'm now back on track.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:31 pm

Good to hear that Christmas was handled.
So many people get unstuck at this time of the year. :(

I was steady as a rock at Christmas...but only because experience has taught me how to handle it.

Kim
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:53 pm

I put on a few kilos in January, but during the past six weeks of intense physical work (a temp job in construction) I lost 5 kilos and built up some muscle.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:54 pm

CronicBadger wrote:I put on a few kilos in January, but during the past six weeks of intense physical work (a temp job in construction) I lost 5 kilos and built up some muscle.

Nothing like a bit of honest work to level that gut! :lol:
That muscle will put you in good stead...
Good work (and hard work! :shock: ). 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Tue May 17, 2016 12:04 pm

My weight's been relatively stable, hovering in the mid 90s. While there have been many distractions (work, parties, etc) from the task at hand, there have been no disasters such as eating binges.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Tue May 24, 2016 5:58 pm

This is all good for maintenance. 8)

The weight loss journey is all about figuring new ways to up the anti for losses as the body figures new ways to keep your weight stable.
That is why on my journey I went from 10 minute walks unto at the end I was running for an hour, swimming for an hour and pedalling madly for an hour on a exercise bike! :lol:
It also compelled me to figure out how to choose healthier food options to fuel myself.

Always up the ante when things get stale.

Kim
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:40 pm

Over the past couple of months my shirts began to become "tight". I wasn't putting on much weight, but the slight increase obviously went to my belly. That's where I drew the line:

No new clothes until the old ones fit loosely again!

The conviction to avoid popping a button and embarrassing myself is working wonders. :-)
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:31 pm

Clothes are a good indicator of what sort of weight we are carrying.
When muscle turns to fat (and the reverse - that's the good version! :D )
...the weigh in on the scales doesn't tell the full story of the state of affairs.

That is why weight gain is so insidious. If we are not careful the rot sets in before we are aware of it.
The lost muscle means that the metabolism burn rate is lower, our fitness level is reduced
and on top of that we have more fat it get rid off than what we realised! :shock:

No new clothes until the old ones fit loosely again!

The conviction to avoid popping a button and embarrassing myself is working wonders. :-)

Brilliant attitude there Marc! 8)
Back yourself into a corner to get the job done is a great mind set to have.
All power to you!...meanwhile - watch the buttons!!! :lol: :wink:

Kim
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:24 pm

My shirts are loosening! That's no excuse for complacency, though.

For at least the past two months, I have not eaten bread and bread products. It was too easy to make toast or sandwiches with a variety of unhealthy, unnecessary toppings. I still have the odd biscuit, usually a water cracker, but I'm weaning myself off those, too.

Right now I'm baking a slab of hard oat-biscuit - no added fat or sugar beyond a few raisins. I figure if instead of banning biscuits, I set myself a rule to eat only those biscuits I bake, then there'll be even less incentive to eat them due to the time and effort required.

A few other things I've been trying is to eat less meat, and replace it with vegetables and legumes.

As for the legumes, I'm experimenting with cooking a variety of them. Lentils, black and kidney beans, chickpeas, etc. It's cheaper to buy them dried, in bulk, then soak and cook later. And cooked beans can be bagged and frozen too - quick to defrost for snacks and meals.

Basically, instead of banning foods, I've set disincentives instead, where I tell myself, "Yes Marc, of course you can eat that on the condition you do such and such first...". I find it reduces the impulsivity and need for instant gratification.

Also, I'm experiencing far fewer instances of spontaneous cravings for carbohydrates. I suspect it is something to do with more stable blood sugar levels.

So, after many stops and starts, I'm now continuing to reverse my recent weight gains. Fortunately I'm still many kilos lighter than when I began my weight-loss journey, but I should have dealt with the gains when they started rather then delude myself that it wasn't an issue.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:04 pm

CronicBadger wrote:My shirts are loosening! That's no excuse for complacency, though.

Glad to hear that the buttons are now safe. :lol:
You are right about not getting complacent.
Vigilance is the what makes reaching goal certain and keeping it off. :)

CronicBadger wrote:For at least the past two months, I have not eaten bread and bread products. It was too easy to make toast or sandwiches with a variety of unhealthy, unnecessary toppings. I still have the odd biscuit, usually a water cracker, but I'm weaning myself off those, too.

Right now I'm baking a slab of hard oat-biscuit - no added fat or sugar beyond a few raisins. I figure if instead of banning biscuits, I set myself a rule to eat only those biscuits I bake, then there'll be even less incentive to eat them due to the time and effort required.

I set a limit of how many slices of bread I have daily. But then again bread isn't my Achilles' Heel like it is for you.
You are right to set yourself hard and fast "rules" for yourself. By creating these indicators you have a clear "moral" standard to live up to and keep.

CronicBadger wrote:A few other things I've been trying is to eat less meat, and replace it with vegetables and legumes.

As for the legumes, I'm experimenting with cooking a variety of them. Lentils, black and kidney beans, chickpeas, etc. It's cheaper to buy them dried, in bulk, then soak and cook later. And cooked beans can be bagged and frozen too - quick to defrost for snacks and meals.

I'm getting more and more into cooking these days but I've yet to seriously explore the frontier world of legumes.
With my consumption of fresh fruit I'm already making that famous cooked beans scene in 'Blazing Saddles' look like amateur night.
Can't imagine what would happen if I seriously got into legumes! :shock: :lol:
Sounds like you're getting into it on an industrial level there Marc...all power to you! :wink:

CronicBadger wrote:Basically, instead of banning foods, I've set disincentives instead, where I tell myself, "Yes Marc, of course you can eat that on the condition you do such and such first...". I find it reduces the impulsivity and need for instant gratification.

Also, I'm experiencing far fewer instances of spontaneous cravings for carbohydrates. I suspect it is something to do with more stable blood sugar levels.

That's it...love the self talk. This is all about taking responsibility for you choices.
Delaying gratification is also a great stratagem. Deflecting temptation is always easier than meeting it head on. Brilliant! :D

CronicBadger wrote:So, after many stops and starts, I'm now continuing to reverse my recent weight gains. Fortunately I'm still many kilos lighter than when I began my weight-loss journey, but I should have dealt with the gains when they started rather then delude myself that it wasn't an issue.

At least you are getting it now and have stopped the rot in it's tracks. 8)
You are doing well - some really great ideas and strategies in play here! :D

Kim
Blitz

Previous

Return to Personal Progress