It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:50 pm

Free Newsletter

Badger's Sett

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: Badger's Sett

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:08 pm

Tonight I encountered a dilemma. For tea I'd made a delicious, healthy, relatively low-kilojoule pizza. I had a few slices with some nice red wine. Delicious.

I didn't want the experience to end.

As I approached the rest of the pizza cooling on the stove-top I suddenly veered off and grabbed a plastic container, shoved all the pizza into it, then stuck it in the fridge for tomorrow.

Calamity averted!

The nice experience will continue tomorrow. Deferred reward is becoming habitual.

To celebrate, I poured myself another glass of red. For the anti-oxidants, of course. :-)
Striving to improve in every way possible.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:32 pm

CronicBadger wrote:Tonight I encountered a dilemma. For tea I'd made a delicious, healthy, relatively low-kilojoule pizza. I had a few slices with some nice red wine. Delicious.

I didn't want the experience to end.

I read this first bit Marc and my heart jumped.
Then I read the rest in relief.
Don't scare me like that!!! :lol:

Good work. 8)

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:37 pm

Recently, for the first time in four months I decided to try some ordinary bread, so I made myself a sandwich: bread, margarine, cheese, vegemite.

Verdict: Nice for a visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

My former addiction/habit of bread seems well and truly gone. It was difficult, with a lot of false starts and failures, but I got there in the end.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:53 pm

These "fundamental" foods are the most difficult ones to kick away.
Often it is because they are the ones with the longest or and fondest memories for us
and therefore buried the deepest in our psych.

It has been a very hard struggle but it does sound like that you have nailed this one down.
Congrats Marc...all power and success to you! 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:53 pm

Since the "November Sandwich" I've had some triangle sandwiches at a function last night. That's it! My bread addiction is definitely gone, and having the odd sandwich at catered events (I no longer make them for myself) doesn't trigger any binges.

Being in control of such a potentially health-damaging habit is a very positive thing.

Keep in mind I don't see bread itself as a problem. It is a useful food and a lifesaver for many people around the world. But I was abusing it - I ate it purely for feeling of satiety and kilojoules, and as an excuse for "junk" toppings.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:50 pm

CronicBadger wrote:Keep in mind I don't see bread itself as a problem. It is a useful food and a lifesaver for many people around the world. But I was abusing it - I ate it purely for feeling of satiety and kilojoules, and as an excuse for "junk" toppings.

This is a very insightful observation...and true for most foods.
It isn't the food that is the problem - it is our abuse that is the problem.

Learning to eat properly (and like "normal" people) is key for long term success.

Kim
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Even taking into typical account daily variances of a kilo or two, I've lost four kilos this past month. That's more than I expected, although I'm not complaining.

Another head-trick I've been using to reduce my portion sizes is to work out the actual cost. By reducing portions I save money, and so I add this thought as I prepare meals and begin to eat. It is just a side-goal to the main goal of losing weight, but every little trick like that helps.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:30 pm

What a neat idea!
An economic weight loss recovery program! :lol:

Actually it does make sense. The more calorie dense an item is - the more it seems to cost per gram.

Four kilo loss in the toughest month of the season is really good.
All continuing success to you Marc! :D
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:57 pm

The cravings for bread are definitely gone, seemingly for good. Also, possibly as a side-effect, those for biscuits have also gone! The only bread I now eat is wholemeal flatbread - and then only occasionally - as a pizza base. Alcohol consumption has been "watered down", as well as overall portion sizes.

I'm also more in control of food, with the aim to cut my food costs to the bone. This ongoing project is bearing fruit - better nutrition, more variety and control, lower costs and weight-loss.

For example, today I made a pizza using the following; Kj and estimated cost in parentheses:
Wholemeal flatbread (1200Kj, $0.20)
Cheddar cheese (1000Kj, $0.40)
Can of sardines in tomato sauce (500Kj, $0.65)
Olives (250Kj, $0.30)
Onion (200Kj, $0.30)
Spices (10Kj, $0.05)
Subtotal: 3000Kj, $1.90

The rest of today's food consists of:
Wine (700Kj, $1.30)
Almond milk (350Kj, $0.75)
Homemade Yogurt (300Kj, $0.10)
Nashi Pear: (200Kj, $0.35)
Subtotal: 1550Kj, $2.50

TOTAL: 4550Kj, $4.40

My usual daily fare is more pedestrian: rolled oats, brown rice and vegetables, lean meat - with total cost closer to $2. It's more cost-effective to buy dried beans (lentil, navy, kidney, black, chickpeas, etc) - they store well, take less room than canned, but have to be soaked to remove toxins.

Anyway, the weight-loss continues slowly but steadily. More importantly though, all the bad food habits seem to have been corrected.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:12 pm

The saga of the thrifty slimmer continues! :lol:

You should shop for me...I thought I was thrifty - but you put me to shame.
You can tell that you have really made this a part of your lifestyle
and not just a passing thing...this is the way to make success last. :D

Excellent going there Marc. 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:08 pm

Too right, Blitz. I am learning the tricks of thriftiness to the point where my friends just laugh and shake their heads in disbelief.

On two different occasions this month I've discovered ex-Christmas turkeys languishing at the back of supermarket freezers sans price stickers. Upon enquiring it turned out that they were no longer registered in the system, so I had the duty manager give me a price.

$10 for a 4.5Kg frozen turkey! Twice.

I cooked them, then removed the flesh and refrigerated some, chopped up the rest into small pieces then packed it into zip-lock freezer bags and put them into the freezer. So now whenever I need turkey meat for meals I just take out a bag, smack it against the kitchen benchtop a few times, them remove a few hundred grammes of cooked chopped turkey for reheating and inclusion in another dish.

I only buy meat that is heavily discounted, at least 50%, often 80%, usually right on the "use by" date. I have a month's worth of meat in the freezer at any time this way. Saves heaps! As for fruit and vegetables, I use a rule of thumb that takes into account Kj per volume, but in general no more than $3 per kilo.

I got outdone by one of my mates though. One day I boasted to him of keeping a Christmas Ham "alive" for over a month: the leftover meat was first baked with vegetables, then after a week the leftovers were unwillingly conscripted into an indiscriminate but tasty stew, then a week later the remaining brown sludge from the bottom was transformed into the filling for baked pastries.

He beat me with the story of his two-month "never-ending stew" from his frugal student days. Made me seem like quite an amateur at culinary longevity.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:11 pm

A cheap stew but above all...
a tasty one!
Things like stews always taste better the second night out (or more).
I remember as a kid when Mum made a Shepherd's Pie it was hardly touched the first night
But the next night saw us wolfing it down with relish. :lol:

I guess you have now got me on the hunt next time I hit my local supermarket for those bottom of the freezer bargains.
Worth a try. :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:49 am

I'm still managing better portion control and sensible eating. The problem I've encountered is lack of time for exercise - there's always something "more important" to do. It's an avoidance trait, and one I should develop a habit to counter. Maybe next week :-).
CronicBadger

Postby CronicBadger » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:53 pm

I have a setback between May and July where I stumbled back into the world of bread and biscuits. A brief visit turned into a three-month long stay. It was very easy to stumble, and took quite an effort to crawl back up and continue better habits. I'm now back to losing weight and eating healthily.

It's interesting how a slice of bread or toast becomes the base for an increasing series of bad choices: First the bread, then the slice of meat, followed by the cheese (which is obviously needed), and then some olives and a relish topping. It's like an escalating combo-attack sequence in a video game. The initial 350 kilojoules becomes 500, then 800, then 1000. Better to avoid that slice or two and have some leafy veg and lean meat instead.
CronicBadger

Postby CronicBadger » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:10 pm

So, my shirts are becoming loose again and today I had to pull my belt in one more notch. I'm losing weight steadily.

I've stuck to the new mindset and kept strict vigilance and tight rein on my eating habits. My main enemies, bread and biscuits, are gone from my diet, replaced by healthier choices. Cheese is strictly limited - it's amazing how densely packed with kilojoules just a small bit of cheese is. The same goes for wine.

It's struck me how much a mind-game this whole weight-loss thing is. Six years ago I lost 50 kilos. In the past two years I slowly regained nearly half of that. Utterly insane! I don't want to be fat and unhealthy. Or do I? Is there some subconscious need to sabotage my progress?

As a result of pondering such deep matters I've striven to make changes across the board - lifestyle, mindset, attitude, and so on. Obviously my earlier attempts had not succeeded. This time though, I think they will. It is one thing to become fit and healthy, it's an entirely different task to stay fit and healthy.
CronicBadger

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress