It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:50 am

Free Newsletter

Badger's Sett

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: Badger's Sett

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:03 pm

One thing I've neglected recently is exercise. Too much stress, too much sitting, wasted muscles. It's a negative feedback cycle that I'm trying to break. Aside from that, not much progress on the weight-loss front.
Striving to improve in every way possible.
CronicBadger

Postby CronicBadger » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Setback! A change of medication saw my weight balloon by six kilos in six weeks. I'm in the process of losing it, but it was quite unexpected.

I've taken to walking a few hours in the early morning, just after sunrise. Not every day, but I'm aiming for that. Just have to remember to set my alarm.
CronicBadger

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:25 pm

One thing in particular I've noticed recently is how much food costs compared to making it yourself from basic ingredients. I grow certain expensive plants, such as those used as spices, and trade other gardeners for plants I lack. I think this more careful appraisal and appreciation for food and nutrition is helping the multidimensional aspect of weightloss and healthgain.
CronicBadger

Postby CronicBadger » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:45 am

I've gone into full weight-loss mode, in the same fashion I did eight years ago when I lost over 50 kilos. I was hoping to avoid it, but my softly-softly approach wasn't bringing noticeable results. So it's back to a food diary and uncompromising discrimination.

One good thing though has been that I didn't pig out over the Christmas and New Year break. It used to be habitual, but now I've trained myself to not treat that period as a time to slacken off, since the time to "unslacken" is undefined and usually extends into January (ie weeks of poor food choices). Arrrgh!

When I lost all that weight I never imagined I'd regain half of it. But I did. Very gradually. So now I have to lose 25 kilos. Again.

However, over the intervening years I've developed good eating habits so rarely graze or eat things I shouldn't. Bread and biscuits are treats now, rather than staples. I trim fat off the little meat I eat, and have stopped using oil in stir-fries.

The only issues that remain are:
1) Portion Size
I think big is healthier, whereas the reality is that the human body is efficient and doesn't need half of what I eat.

2) Regular exercise
I am relatively sedentary and always have "more important things to do". That's self-destructive, as good health is the most important thing.
CronicBadger

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:06 am

I've made only a small amount of progress so far, but some is better than none. Next week I will hopefully see some good news from my official weigh-in at the doctor's surgery.
CronicBadger

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:16 pm

I've tightened up my weight-loss effort. I'm now in 100% weight-loss mode, basically doing everything the way I did it eight years ago.

I'm also back to counting kilojoules, and regular, extensive exercise. It's having a significant effect already and I think it will be relatively easy to maintain, since I know now the warning signs of back-pedalling and the various internal mindgames work.

I dislike how I now have to spend a year of effort to get back to the good weight I was at half a decade ago, but there's no alternative. Hopefully I'll have learned my lesson this time round.
CronicBadger

Postby CronicBadger » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:18 pm

After a major effort I've hit a personal record: A 5.8kg loss in one week.

Of course most of that is just a vast reduction of the contents of my gut - mostly water retention, due to removing bread from my diet. But, according to my kilojoule-counting calculations, I had an energy deficit enough to require roughly 1kg of energy from fat (and some muscle). So that's perhaps an actual weight-loss of 0.8 to 1kg, which isn't too shabby. I expect the losses will lower to realistic levels over the next few weeks - 0.5Kg/week with a natural variance of up to a kilogram either way.
CronicBadger

Postby CronicBadger » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:21 pm

Over one kilo lost this week. As long as I can sustain this, I expect a steady decrease in weight, despite an occasional and expected "plateau". Energy intake is measured and charted and I know exactly the nutritional value of the food I eat. I try to keep my food habits natural, and occasionally eat "wrong" foods, such as a kransky sausage topped with cheese for lunch today. Restrictive diets don't work very well, so I allow myself to pig out sometimes, but ensure I keep below my average daily targets for energy and nutrition.

Another thing I've noticed is how exercise can be enjoyable, rather than a boring, time-wasting and onerous task. This required a few things on my part:
- Ensure I walk in a variety of walking paths that go through nice scenery, such as bushland and waterfronts.
- Reframe my idea of what "time-wasting" entails. That is, walking burns kilojules and promotes good health.
- Get into the habit and think of it as "something I normally do" instead of "something I have to do".
CronicBadger

Postby CronicBadger » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:07 pm

My weight-loss continues. Another week, another kilo. I'm eating half the volume of food I was eating a month ago, yet am still healthy. I think I was in the unhealthy mindset of "the more food, the better". But now, I have rediscovered that smaller amounts of food can be eaten as long as that food is highly nutritious.

So I'm now grinding towards that 95kg milestone. When I hit it, I'll celebrate by downing a pizza or two! (just joking)
CronicBadger

Postby CronicBadger » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:58 pm

I'm now at 95kg. It was a big effort and I need to continue with this for the next 10 months to reach my end target as well as to build good habits.

From this point on I expect my progress to be slower and more difficult, but at least I've passed that 3-week window in which basic habitual behaviour is set. From here on it is just a case of grinding through obstacles and keeping the goal in sight.
CronicBadger

Postby CronicBadger » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:42 pm

I slipped up!

For three consecutive, hectic days I neglected to record my food intake. It was "eat-and-run", and I'm sure I doubled up on a meal or two. It goes to show how easy it is to forget a routine, and then continue it. Of course I'm back to recording, and there was no damage done, but it was a timely reminder.

As for weightloss, yes, another kilogram was lost this week, despite allowing myself some cake and biscuits.

I purchased a bag of wholemeal wraps, and to ensure I don't scoff them down at every opportunity, I divided them into half-wraps and froze them in freezer bags. So if I'm hungry and feel the urge to eat some quick carbs, I am forced to stop and think about eating, and will likely avoid the extra work involved in preparation.
CronicBadger

Postby CronicBadger » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:58 pm

No progress for the last month. Busy at work. Stress. etc. The usual excuses for not exercising.

*sigh*
CronicBadger

Postby JP1 » Sun May 05, 2019 12:01 pm

Hi Badger, hope thing are well in your world, l am back for a bit so hopefully we can motivate each other to get back on the wagon, cheers JP
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 107 Kg (3 May 2019)
Current :105 Kg (17 May 2019)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014) : 99.2 Kg (31 May 2016) : 104.7 Kg (10 May 2019)
Target : 90 Kg by 9 Aug 2019
JP1

Postby CronicBadger » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:16 pm

No progress again. Typical - it always happens that whenever I'm stressed the weight-loss imperative goes out the window. I'm back on the wagon, once again. This time gritting my teeth and using the Power Of The Pause. Whenever I feel like a biscuit or something I shouldn't eat I tell myself wait 10 minutes and see how I feel then.
CronicBadger

Previous

Return to Personal Progress