It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:24 am

Free Newsletter

Weight loss log

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: Weight loss log

Postby Sanov22 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:24 pm

Don't worry I'm definitely not one of 'those' people! I actually majored in maths/stats so I know plenty about random error and analysing trends...

I still maintain daily weigh-ins are better. The more frequently you weigh in over a given period the more meaningful the trend is and the less meaningful the differences between successive measurements are, and vice-versa. So with the provision that you understand random fluctuation and don't set anything by what happens from one measurement to the next, the more frequently you weigh in the better, - daily beats weekly.

For somebody that only wants to or only can look at differences between successive weigh-ins, weekly beats daily in terms of decreasing the effects of random fluctuaton in the relative margin of error... but if you're losing around half a kilo a week in actuality then it's still too high. If the scales can be out by up to half a kilo then your weekly readings could be showing you anything from a gain of half a kilo to a loss of 1 kilo! And then you're carrying the undue guilt or elation around for a whole week before the next weigh in instead of just a day...

Maybe the best solution for most people is to have an "official" weekly weigh in but to jump on the scale at least a couple of times inbetween so they'll have some idea of the trend without having to wait a few weeks til they have enough data from the official readings...

For me though... I like my jagged graph... it looks like a bad stock investment now haha :mrgreen:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzWjG1y/]
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Sanov22 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:31 pm

I realise I might have seemed like I was looking at the 70.0/69.9 difference obsessively though... and actually I was, but it was more BECAUSE I realise a 0.1kg difference means nothing coming from the scale... and I'd seen 70.0 quite a few times already so it was like "come on... can't you just say 69.9 instead?"
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:48 pm

yeah, sorry, obviously preaching to the converted (PhD in psychology). It just gripes me that people actually think the number on a set of scales is gospel.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Sanov22 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:28 pm

Have been eating so-so the last few days. Felt a bit yuck yesterday wearing a pair of jeans that dont fit me anymore sice I lost weight (wore them with a belt). You'd think that would have the opposit effect but I just felt 'big' in those pants and didn't like what I saw in the mirror when I was shopping. Perhaps I'm just used to wearing the used-to-be-too-tight-but-now-fit-quite-well-if-not-a-teensy-bit-loosely jeans, which I think look pretty good... anyways, The old jeans are going to the salvos. I don't need to be feeling like that!

Going away next week backpacking for 3 months... feel very confident about my ability to keep the weight off when I'm home, if not lose more... bit worried about when I'm away. No idea what my schedule's gonna be so difficult to think ahead with food and exercise... Will try to have an active holiday anyway... the goal is to come back with strong, injury-free legs that are ready to go with a running training plan... to get me to a half marathon in July :P ... hoping to be still able to jog 5km when I get back... even a slow 5 would be OK..

Kind of more focussed on my running now than on the weight loss actually... I figure if I really dig in and train hard the weight will take care of itself when I can run longer, faster, more often.... I did an 8.5km funrun today which I did at an average of just over 6mins/km ... faster to start and slower to finish, I didn't pace myself terribly well but I didn't really have much of an idea what an appropriate pace would be. I haven't been running with a watch for long enough or doing this kind of distance long enough to know where I'm at, so I decided to just run, - not slow down on purpose when I felt like running faster and not push myself for a faster pace too soon either, and see how I go. That strategy did its job... I now know that 8.5kms at an even pace of 6min/km would be about right for (currently) when I want to push myself pretty hard. Think I'll try for 10km at about a 6:45 pace next week.
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:14 am

It's weird how certain pieces of clothing have that effect huh? I think for me it depends on the cut because my body shape is slightly different when I'm fatter so if I put on some of my "fat" clothes they make me look fat because of the cut :x

And with the fun run.... GOOD ON YOU! Well done. For some weird known only to my body reason, I seem to go slower at the start then after about 2-3km my legs somehow get themselves sorted out and then I can put on a bit of speed, so I generally speed up toward the end. Makes for good finishes :wink:

With pacing yourself, it really does come down to experience. I do find it hard to pace myself - like you I just figure "go hard or go home", so what I tend to do is settle into a comfortable pace and then push as my body lets me. Then in about the last km I go hell for leather (hey, if the energy's there, I may as well use it!). Also, if you work out how fast you do a set distance (so for me, I do 2km in about 15min) you can get a rough idea of how far you've run and how far you have to go by the time (because sometimes you don't really have an idea of how far it is if you don't know the course). That way if you're for some reason feeling buggered half an hour into a 10km race, you know you're going to have to slow it down a tad to be able to finish.

And always, ALWAYS aim to push an extra 10% in the final 100 or so meters - Come home strong; it looks good on the cameras :mrgreen:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Sanov22 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:17 am

Cheers. Yeah I reckon you're right about the clothes. I have a top that I swear I looked better in when I was fat... I guess my boobs filled it out more or something... now it just doesn't hang right.

Loving the funruns... cant wait to do more. This was only my second one... I think I'll be better with pacing next time after using my watch on training runs now as well so I can get an idea of what different paces 'feel like'. Gonna keep a log book/diary of it all too. Gonna keep up the general exercise as much as possible while I'm away and I decided to take my runners as well as my hiking shoes and run whenever I can over there... hopefully come back still in decent running shape then get properly assessed/fitted by a podiatrist for running shoes, find/design a training plan then from March it's super serious training time because I decided I'm doing the Run Melbourne half marathon on the 17th of July 2011 :twisted:... I cant wait! hehehe!
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Sanov22 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:27 am

Arghh holiday mode is killing me

I haven´t had access to a scale but I´m pretty certain I´m putting on weight. Exercise hasn´t been toooooo bad (for being away anyway), I´ve gone for a couple of runs and did a big multiday hike... but it isn´t the same as working out 5 times a week or more like I was... I need to do arm and stomach exercises BADLY... and my eating has gotten out of control... I really need a kick up the bum for that. Been eating like I was before I started this entire journey... chocolate and ice cream and whatnot... eh! Sweet things that local specialties are part of the experience and so are not so bad but I really hate that I´m eating the crap you can buy on any corner of the planet... I could accept putting on a couple kilos in the 3 months I´m away... but I don´t want to have to start from scratch when I return!

I felt like I had it so under control at home but I´m struggling over here!
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Sanov22 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:53 pm

Well here I go again... I had a different/more recent thread but I think I'll continue this one instead, I had way more success in it lol... it's good to read my old posts - I'm so proud of me last year. I really hope I can get back to that kind of mentality, I really felt like I had it all figured out back then. The story from there is that I went away for 3 months and put most of the weight back on while I was gone then haven't been able to shift it since I got back. I've been fluctuating between 76kg & 78kg most of the time... currently more towards the higher end of that :oops:

Trying to do everything the same as last year... I never mentioned that I was doing this before cuz it's kind of embarrassing being sucked into a stupid gimmicky thing but ehh w/e, - I've just started up again drinking 'green coffee' ... which is probably in the same league as acai berry stuff and a bunch of other gimmicky weight loss supplements... it's supposed to make the weight just drop off you lol (it definitely doesn't), but whether it's a placebo effect or not it *does* seem to suppress my appetite... and that's helping, so I'm doing it.

I've kept up my running, although been a little slack lately... but I *did* end up doing the half marathon back in July which I'm pretty proud of myself for. Ran it in just over 2:20 which isn't too bad considering I was at least 6kg overweight. I've lost the passion I had for it last year though, it's become kind of chore-ish... trying to think positively about it... and about exercise in general really, - my group training classes are a bit of a chore in my mind at the moment too... I know I'm thinking about it wrong but I can't remember how to do it right at the moment.... maybe if I'm just disciplined with myself for a few weeks I'll get it figured out...

Anyway, today has been quite a good start. I had a bowl of all bran and my coffee for breakfast, a ceasar salad for lunch (no meat), a latte mix thing with water in the afternoon and a bowl of minestrone soup for dinner. I've drunk 3L of water too. And went to the training class tonight which was a pretty tough one - mostly strength stuff ... my arms & stomach are probably gonna be sore tomorrow.
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Sanov22 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:42 pm

Been pretty good the last few days. Worked out Tues Wed & Thurs, not today though. Had chocolate and icecream last night but it was out at a special occasion and I still feel in control. Apart from that I've been very disciplined with my food.

I'm currently at 76 on the dot
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Sanov22 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:08 pm

down to 75.4

Not feeling super motivated but I'm being more or less disciplined, most of the time. I worked out 5x in total last week and most of the time ate healthy. Had another slip up at the movies on Saturday night, popcorn and chocolate... d'oh! And last night I had a few sweet biscuits but nothing too serious. I hope once I get under 75 I might start feeling more excited about this... right now I'm feeling like I just have to make myself do it
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby CronicBadger » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:22 am

Those mental milestones can be troublesome, eh?

I quite like your statement "I just have to make myself do it", it's something very applicable to the motivational aspects of weight loss, even though a lot of people seem to forget that that's what it is all about.
CronicBadger

Postby Sanov22 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:11 am

thanks for the support CB

I'm sitting just under 75 now, yay! Stilllllll not feeling super motivated unfortunately... perhaps because I was a good 5kg under this weight not so long ago so I'm still comparing how my body looks/feels to then instead of where I've just come from... but yeah I do feel like I just need to make myself do this, I've had enough of being fat, it's such a dumb way to be... I'm missing out on life. I think I get caught up in a vicious cycle of avoiding certain social situations because I'm overweight (eg swimming), and then not care about being overweight because I don't put myself in situations where I feel like I care about it... but yeah that's dumb, I've had enough of it. So despite not being super enthused about it all at the moment I am making progress. I've been fairly good with making myself exercise at least 3x per week, and mostly I'm eating less/better.
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Sanov22 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:03 pm

I've seen a weigh ins under 74 a few times recently... so I'm making progress... stomach is starting to feel smaller... enjoying exercise more - I've started to enjoy running on the treadmill which I always used to hate, but now I play some music and I've been doing a routine of running 5 mins at an easy pace, then 5mins at half a mile per hour quicker, then 5mins at half a mile per hour quicker again, etc... up to 25mins continuous running with the last 5mins at 6.5mph now... reckon I can go for another 5 mins at 7mph next time... planning to do a 4.3km funrun the weekend after next, which will be the same one I did last year which was my first funrun ever... hopefully get a better time this year... started dating someone which is good and bad for weight loss... good for motivation, bad because eating becomes unpredictable and exercise can take a back seat to dating, trying not to let that happen though... feeling pretty good, not great... but content
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Sanov22 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:12 pm

I seemed to have stalled... or actually I might have put a kg or so back on - I'm sitting just below 75 most mornings, haven't seen under 74 in a while... been eating a bit more... nothing reeeealllly terrible but just not a diet that's gonna result in weight loss... last week I was sick so didn't exercise, I've been back at it since Friday... did a funrun this morning - 4.2km - I did it last year too and this time I ran it almost 3mins quicker which I'm pretty pleased with (and I was about 3kg lighter last year). Got a beach holiday booked for the start of January so that's weighing on my mind that I want to look 'OK' in a bikini... I'm running out of time though... I'm just not focussed all of the time :x ...I gotta get on it!
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby miss_viva » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:32 pm

Hey Sanov,

How are you? How did you find South America? Did you have a great time there? I've just gotten back from a trip there, I absolutely love going to SA! Which countries did you go to and what did you think of it all? Sorry to hear that you've stalled in your weighloss, but I'm sure you'll see some movement on the scales soon if you stick with it. All the best :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy8rKpB/]
[/url]

Heaviest Weight: 115kgs
New Starting Weight: 84kgs
Goal Weight: 75kgs
miss_viva

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress