It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:53 am

Free Newsletter

Kirsty's progress

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: Kirsty's progress

Postby Gordz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:39 pm

im enjoying following your thread... very relatable.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby kotobird » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:49 pm

thanks gordz - i'm just using it as my venting channel at the moment, I always find that writing about my experiences helps me gain perspective on them and helps me figure out how to get through things. It really doesn't matter if noone reads it, it's more like therapy for me :roll:

SW: 83.1
MG 1: 78kg ACHIEVED!
MG 2: 75kg
MG 3: 72.5kg
MG 4: 70kg
Final Goal: 67kg
kotobird

Postby kotobird » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:59 pm

blergh, I'm 79.7... 100grams up on a few days ago. I know I've been eating a little bit randomly, so I'll have to tighten the ropes a little bit I think. I'd like to be at least 78.something by the end of october....

kotobird

Postby kotobird » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:10 pm

well, back to 79.6 today.

Pretty static since this time last week.

I did notice recently that I had a similar pause in loss before I dropped a few hundred grams in one go, so I'm wondering if maybe the loss happens in waves? Anyway, I'm starting to also wonder why it has slowed down so much since a couple of weeks ago. The most obvious possible solution is metabolism, and this has led me to look at my net calories and think about whether perhaps I need to eat a little more? At the moment I average about 1000 - 1100 net calories per day, with total intake of about !300-1600, and total exercise calories of 200-500. I tend to eat a little more on heavy exercise days, but there have been a number of days when net calories have dropped a bit below 1000. So I'm going to try to up the intake just a bit and see if that gives it a boost. I'm not adverse to having an extra slice of wholemeal toast, or a bit more cheese on my crackers... or maybe a delicious fruit and yogurt smoothie for morning tea! mmmm.... it's so counter-intuitive to think that the way to increase weight loss might be to eat more! I guess my attitude harks back to my teenage years (a fair while ago now!) when I had a period of being just a bit too obsessive about my weight, and I used to do the whole semi-starvation/semi-bingeing cycle. I don't think it was quite a disorder, but you know how teenage girls can get :roll:

Anyway, let's see how this goes. I'm thinking that I must remember that a bit of a calorie boost still means healthy - not just a bowl of ice-cream every day! Just more of the good stuff.

kotobird

Postby Sanov22 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:30 pm

I think you're right about weight loss in waves - my weight loss has done that. Not sure how tall you are (I'm 167cm), but I started close to you at just under 80 and have had a few stalls so far... steady to 77.5, stall, rapid to 73.5, stall, steady to 71.5, stall, and hopefully it's moving now, I'm not sure.. I think if you keep it up you should get onto awave soon!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzWjG1y/]
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby kotobird » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Hi Sanov - that's interesting what you say, because this stall has happened after only a few kilos, same as yours at the start - hmmm. Maybe our bodies like to re-group, re-distribute, balance out the composition before moving any more. I guess maybe that's what they mean about "healthy weight loss", the kind that goes at the pace our bodies can handle.

It's funny, I was just reading your progress thread when I saw that you had replied to mine! :D

kotobird

Postby kotobird » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:30 pm

slowly, slowly - registered 79.5 today...

I might just log my food here over the next week as I experiment with upping the calories a little... see what comes of it:

1 wholemeal english muffin with tahini and chutney
Coffee with low fat soy and 1tsp honey

Exercise: 1 hour pilates class

Banana and peach smoothie made with jalna yogurt and low fat soymilk

Espresso with 1 sugar

2 pieces Mountain bread with 40g fetta and handful spinach, toasted

11 almonds and 1 apple

2 pieces marinated tofu
Random raw vegetables

Few slices sweet potato and white potato fried in little olive oil, salad and quinoa with a little apple cider vinegar and olive oil dressing.

Cup herbal tea with 2 ginger nuts.

So, that's my day, it was a little random, but I guess all the choices were reasonably good, and I netted about 1250 calories after exercise. I am trying to use the 'grazing' method, eating every couple of hours, but never having very big portions at any one time. I'm finding that it works well if I can be sure that I can eat when I get hungry - but when I have long teaching sessions this gets harder (I'm a singing teacher). The almonds, apple and tofu today were during teaching hours, and it's good if I can squeeze in a quick snack while I'm waiting for my next student, but this isn't always guaranteed. Anyway, I'll work it out. I just want to make sure my body doesn't freak out if it gets hungry and go into "starvation mode". I guess I'd have to be eating not enough consistently for that to happen though...

kotobird

Postby kotobird » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:27 pm

oh, I'm feeling pretty over it today, no real change on the scales still, it looks like an early plateau.

I'm thinking about just forgetting about it for a while - in terms of counting calories and such. I still want to eat healthy and exercise, but maybe approach it from an intuitive mindset rather than logging everything so intensely. I've gotten a good sense of portion sizes in the last few weeks, so maybe I should see how things go if I just follow my regular wholegrain vegetarian diet, do my pilates twice a week, cycle to work 2-3 times a week and maybe some swimming and zumba. I'm also getting pretty over the Les Mills classes, they're kinda boring after a while. Even when the routines change, the moves are still pretty much the same. And I'm starting to feel that if I'm doing something so regularly, I might as well be getting good at something that has a more holistic range of benefits than just pumping iron or doing cardio. Maybe I need to do some dancing or martial arts. Blergh, anyway, I guess I'm just going through another slump... directly result-related really, a response to my slowed progress :|

Maybe my problem is I get too obsessed in the beginning and I can't keep up that enthusiasm for long??

kotobird

Postby Gutsy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:47 pm

Kirsty your menu sounds very interesting! I am too lazy and end up eating he same boring foods each day for berkkie and lunch. At least my supper is more varied or else hubby will start complaining.
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcWjzFc/]
[/url]
Gutsy

Postby kotobird » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:06 pm

hi gutsy - yes, comes from a few years being vegan, one learns to be inventive! I also love food, so go figure :P

Today's menu:

2 slices sourdough wholemeal spelt bread with tahini and chutney (current favourite)
coffee with soy and honey

piadina (a kind of italian flat-bread) with grilled vegies and goats cheese
strong soy latte (I didn't sleep well last night! :shock: )

11 almonds

small apple
10 vita-weat rice crackers

Quesadilla - 2 corn tortillas with low fat cheese and beans
salad with little olive oil and lemon juice
bulla fruit'n'yogurt

I've decided to stop counting calories, but I'm using what I've learnt about portions and how much I was overeating as a guide to when to stop and how much to put on my plate. And when to look elsewhere for entertainment and gratification! I think I'd rather stop thinking about it all so much, the time might pass quicker!! Trying to drink enough water - I do forget a lot :roll:

kotobird

Postby kotobird » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:54 pm

just wanted to share this quote from the Shrink Yourself website:

"The moments when you are tempted to return to food for comfort are actually red flags from your heart and mind, pointing out that you need a little bit of understanding, some more gentleness, and a dash more self-acceptance."

My aim right now is to recognise those red flags and address them. That's the core of the issue....

kotobird

Postby e&me » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:31 am

A very good quote, might have to pay attention to that one myself.
Your doing really well, we all go through stages where no matter how hard we try the weight does not shift, but if you stick to it then it will start coming off again- good things come to those who wait
1/01/2011 Start week
8/01/2011 Week 1
15/01/2011 Week 2
22/01/2011 Week 3
29/01/2011 Week 4
5/02/2011 Week 5
12/02/2011 Week 6
19/02/2011 Week 7
26/02/2011 Week 8
5/03/2011 Week 9
12/03/2011 Week 10
19/03/2011 Week 11
26/03/2011 Week 12
e&me

Postby kotobird » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:18 pm

I've realised more clearly that I use food as an emotional regulator - I always knew that I comfort ate, but I was doing some reading last night and it really made me acknowledge exactly how often (ie, every day!!) I have used food to give me emotional satisfaction. This is a great realisation, but now I am faced with how to address it every time this comes up - which is basically every time I eat! For me it's about not stopping at the right time, just eating too much in one meal/snack. I have been going well, but right now, as I'm going through a weight loss stalling period, I'm noticing how much my emotional being wants to just go back to old habits. Looking for opportunities to indulge, get happiness and satisfaction from food rather than life! It's a big one for me, and the issue runs pretty deep. But acknowledging the issue is half the battle, right? I feel that I am better off than I was a couple of months ago, as I've identified the problem, but it is hard to discover exactly how often it comes up, and what other emotional issues it brings to the surface - man, and to think that it all gets pushed down for the instant gratification of food! That one simple thing can keep us on the merry-go-round of unhappiness... until we get enough wisdom and strength to change our ways. Well, I'm going to try, because I know that it's tied to all of my other personal issues, and it's the biggest symptom of them.

So, here we go....

kotobird

Postby Carly :) » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:42 pm

hey KIRSTY,
how do you make that progress skale (picture) i dont know how to make one x
Carly :)

Postby kotobird » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi Carly, just go to TickerFactory.com and it will take you through the steps to make one :)

kotobird

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress