It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:15 am

Free Newsletter

Kirsty's progress

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: Kirsty's progress

Postby brendan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi Kirsty

I think you make an important point there, it is good to reassess your goals from time to time otherwise it is easy to get depressed if you fall short of expectations. Also you mention that even though you only lost 200g in the week that you are happy to have any progress - I think we can all learn from that attitude. Keep up the good work!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4Q56PK/]
[/url]

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic
brendan

Postby kotobird » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:39 pm

thanks brendan, I've decided to be happy with taking it slow so it doesn't feel like such a huge effort every day. I want to feel like I'm just living my life and losing weight naturally and easily by addressing the real reasons why I gained weight in the first place, trusting that if I do that, it will take care of itself.

today's food and exercise:

2 slices wholemeal fruit bread with tahini
coffee with soy and honey

1 hour pilates

steamed vegies, green salad and tofu (with little olive oil to fry tofu and dress salad)

1 slice fruit toast and tahini
cup tea with soy and honey

1/2 cup baked beans
1 slice vienna bread
1 ginger nut

I had to eat a really quick dinner tonight in between engagements so the baked beans wasn't quite the best option, but not the worst either I guess.

SW: 83.1
MG 1: 78kg ACHIEVED!
MG 2: 75kg
MG 3: 72.5kg
MG 4: 70kg
Final Goal: 67kg
kotobird

Postby kotobird » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:34 pm

today:

2 sl wholemeal fruit bread with tahini
coffee with soy & honey

bowl steamed vegetables drizzled with lemon and tahini

30 min mostly downhill ride to work

muesli with dried fruit and seeds, strawberries and plain sheep's yogurt
Soy latte with 2 sugars

30min mostly uphill ride home

That's all up til now - I might not have eaten enough yet. Had teaching from 4 - 9:30 so haven't really had dinner, although I ate the muesli just before 4 to keep me going til I got home. It did keep me full til the end, but after the ride home I now feel pretty peckish.

My emotional eating habit for this week is "Hunger Management", which if done well, helps us avoid extreme physical hunger, and therefore an emotional response to it (which I know has been my way in the past!) I did ok today by packing my muesli to eat before work. This is something I need to get on top of, as I work over dinner time 2 days in the week. I now need to make a good choice about what to eat at this late hour. I don't really subscribe to the "no food late at night" thing - I researched it and "they" say (scientists) that it's an unfounded diet myth. So anyway, I'll have a pre-bed snack - and make sure it's a healthy one :)

kotobird

Postby kotobird » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:08 pm

kotobird wrote:today:

2 sl wholemeal fruit bread with tahini
coffee with soy & honey

bowl steamed vegetables drizzled with lemon and tahini

30 min mostly downhill ride to work

muesli with dried fruit and seeds, strawberries and plain sheep's yogurt
Soy latte with 2 sugars

30min mostly uphill ride home

Add to the above:

1 corn tortilla with LF cheese and salsa
2 ginger nuts (still on the same packet for a few weeks now - that's an achievement!)

kotobird

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:14 am

About the "no food late at night" "myth" - there was a recent study in mice looking at the effect of daylight disruption and food consumption at different times of the day. One group of mice got normal day/night, another group got day and half light, and another had 24hr light. Then they varied when they fed the mice. They found those mice in the full day condition who had no light change input to their biological clock (i.e. biological clock disruption) who ate at the time when they would normally be asleep (so in mice that would be they were made to eat during the during the day when they would normally be asleep) put on more weight than you would expect given the caloric value of the food provided. I.e. they put on more than their normal night time eating brethren (miceren?). Some of the conclusions were that this may explain why shift workers (who have their mid work meal, equivalent to lunch, when they would normally be asleep) have much higher rates of obesity than non shift workers. There is also work indicating disruption to the circadian rhythm affects the metabolism, including body temperature (which is linked) which looks like a potential causative factor (if your metabolism is affected and you eat during this time when it normally slows down it may store more than it otherwise would).

http://www.onlinenews.com.pk/details.php?id=170845
http://www.northwestern.edu/cscb/partfred.html
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kotobird » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:18 pm

that's some interesting stuff. I'm sure there's a lot of other factors involved, like the impacts on other aspects of lifestyle for night shift workers, the quality of food eaten, etc. I can see how the circadian rhythm can be messed up and this will affect metabolism, but with non-shift workers it's probably less of an issue. I guess my main point is that I don't think it's that big a deal to have a snack at 10pm if your body is telling you to eat something. I did read a couple of articles about studies done:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 080832.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3263249.stm

thanks for the input, it's always good to have some new info to help with putting the puzzle together :D

kotobird

Postby brendan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:45 pm

Just continuing on that them for a moment - I often find myself reaching for a snack when I am tired, or just past my normal bedtime. I think I am now learning to distinguish between "Boy, am I tired!" and "Boy, am I hungry!" An important lesson for me - I just go to bed when I reach that stage now. :?
[/url]

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
brendan

Postby kotobird » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:21 pm

brendan: yep, that's an important realisation, that hunger can be non-physical! And non-physical (emotional/boredom) hunger needs a non-physical solution - ie, not food!

today:

2 sl wholemeal toast with tahini and jam

strong soy latte with sugar

1 banana

steamed vegetables with tofu fried in a little olive oil

a few almonds with a few strawberries

2 vodkas with mineral water and lemon :mrgreen:

1 hour zumba class :shock:

Small bowl stir fried vegies and a small spoon of white rice
bulla fruit n' yogurt

I forgot that I had planned to go to zumba class when I decided to have a little drink in the evening... I figured it would be like going out dancing with a couple of drinks, so no harm done :lol: I weigh myself tomorrow, so I'll report on that then.

kotobird

Postby kotobird » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:20 pm

Yay me!! I've beat my first mini-goal of 78kg - weighed in today at 77.9 - minus 300g clothing that makes me 77.6!!!

I'm a little bit surprised, as it's a big loss in a week considering how I've been going recently - could be that I did more cardio this week than last... Anyway, I'm pretty happy now I've lost over 5kg and I just feel like I could go on forever, my eating habits have settled into a comfortable routine, and I'm really getting on top of emotional eating - I really think it's the way to go, because it's the only way to really address the true source of cravings and urges to binge. If you can nut out that aspect of things, it's so very much easier.

:D

kotobird

Postby brendan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Congrats, Kirsty!
You're over a third of the way there.
This week has been a lot warmer here in Victoria, do you find that the weather affects you at all? I feel less hungry in the warmer weather, but I also think my metabolism slows down too, and I find exercise is a lot harder, particularly with all the extra weight I'm lugging around. Hopefully this will have changed significantly by the end of this summer :P

Bren
[/url]

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
brendan

Postby kotobird » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:36 pm

I've felt slightly less on top of it the last 2 days - yesterday I went out for dinner, at a pretty healthy restaurant (vegetarian, everything house-made, mainly vegies and tofu for ingredients) but I still ate quite a lot, and there were a few fried items. It was kind of a reward for losing the first 5kg - and I know we're not meant to use food as a reward, but I felt that a nice, considered dinner at a good-quality healthy restaurant wasn't quite the same thing as gorging on a block of chocolate or tub of ice-cream. I think it makes a difference if it's a special, away from home experience that still follows a lot of healthy eating choices. Anyway, I just felt like treating myself to a meal after being so conscious of my food for a while.

Today:

small bowl muesli with dried fruit and seeds, soy milk and sheep yogurt

grilled vegie piadina with goats cheese
soy latte with sugar

2 ginger nuts
few blueberries

home-made spinach and ricotta cannelloni with side salad (incl olive oil and balsamic dressing)

Needed more fruit today, and probably more vegies too. Had lots of dairy, as the cannelloni was filled with ricotta and topped with edam and bocconcini. I tried to stop at the serve I gave myself initially but I did pick at the leftovers a bit after I ate the meal - only a little, but it was the first time I've done that in a few weeks and I think highlighted that there must be something else going on internally that I had the urge to do that. Probably should investigate that. It's kinda cool to have that barometer to show myself that there are emotional things going on - sometimes it's easy to ignore or not give feelings the time of day, but they always play out in some way. The urge to overeat is the clearest indicator that something needs addressing!

kotobird

Postby kotobird » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:47 pm

whoah, today's been really hard to stay in control - and I haven't really. I've been pretty careless with food and it's been quite an emotional eating day. I've had a blueberry bagel with butter and jam, cannelloni and an affogato (coffee and ice-cream) and shared a lamington with my boyfriend! I'd say it's the worst day I've had in 6 weeks...

I guess to have some perspective on things, if it's the worst I've done in 6 weeks, I've been going pretty well.... but I know all my eating today has been emotional, and I also know why I'm feeling a bit out of sorts today. I'm going to try to bounce back and just get back on the wagon now, planning a big plate of steamed vegetables for dinner :oops:

kotobird

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:54 am

You and me both....

Back on the wagon now!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kotobird » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:45 pm

still feeling the pull a bit today, but I've done a little better than yesterday...

small bowl muesli with soy, sheep yogurt and blueberries

sandwich of sourdough pumpkin bread, tomato, basil and mozzarella

banana
1 ginger nut

pumpkin ravioli with vegetables and parmesan

1 chocolate coin
1 danish butter cookie

Not helped by having chocolate and cookies sitting right in front of me as I write! I've had a little bit, but I'm not going to have any more 8)

kotobird

Postby kotobird » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:15 pm

today:

2 sl pumpkin bread with tahini & chutney

tea with soy and honey

2 corn tortillas with edam, beans, vegies, dollop of yogurt and salsa

tea with soy and honey
banana
small bowl muesli with soy

1 hour (total) cycle to and from work

steamed vegies with vegie sausages, drizzle tahini and chutney

tea with soy and honey

Not bad today, feel like I'm back on the wagon. My housemate is going through a really emotional time at the moment and is binging on chocolate, biscuits, chips and all sorts of stuff. It has meant that there's been a lot of junk food around, but I've been pretty restrained, only having a little taste of a couple of things last night. I'm not finding it too hard to resist, and she's aware to try and keep it away from me. Poor thing, it's a particularly difficult time for her, so it's not normal to eat like this - she tells me she'll stop soon :shock:

kotobird

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress