It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:45 am

Free Newsletter

Brendan's Progress

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Brendan's Progress

Postby brendan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:45 pm

I thought I would follow the example of the more successful members of the forum (my heroes!) and do a bloggy sort of thingy to chronicle my weight loss efforts.
Building on my success of losing in excess of my targeted 1.5kg for this week, I went to Melbourne today and picked up my exercise bike which my parents have been minding since my move to Gippsland 18 months ago. I had some success with this machine previously, and hoping that in conjunction with my healthy food choices it will put my weight loss on the fast track. Being one of those high tech bikes with programmable options, I can easily document my progress, and see what works. I won't bore readers with data, but may mildly bore them with a summary of my progress from time to time :D
It's been pouring with rain all day, which makes it difficult to unload the bike today. Hopefully we might have a break in the rain tomorrow. Can't weight ... oops ... wait to set it up :roll:

Bren
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4Q56PK/]
[/url]

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic
brendan

Re: Brendan's Progress

Postby Awaha » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:56 pm

Good luck and all the best with your progress.

We are all here to support each other :)
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFgBXFf/

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. ~Lance Armstrong
Awaha

Postby brendan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:47 am

Wow! I'd forgotten what the high from exercising felt like :shock:

I set up the exercise bike this morning (which was weight training in itself - it weighs a ton!)

I'm not sure what the proper levels of exercise are - I cycled for 10 minutes (I realize you supposed to do 40 mins but I might have to work up to that) My heartrate was about 110 when I started (exertion from carrying the bike in from the car) and went up to about 120 within a few minutes - I gradually increased the resistance, and for the last 5 minutes my heart rate was about 130. My breathing was increased and I got that light headed, drunk kind of feeling. It was great! I could feel the heart pounding for about 10 minutes afterwards.

I think I will try to ride the bike at least twice a day, and try to build up my endurance.

Hey, if you are teetering on the verge of exercising, like I have been for a few weeks, get into it - it's like downing half a bottle of red :D
[/url]

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
brendan

Postby Awaha » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:30 pm

Haha. Sounds like u had fun

But at the same time, be careful as u have not exercised for along time.... Start off slowly and slowly build up.

Also include some light weight training to encourage some muscle growth to improve your overall metabolism. I did for mine, and I can feel my endurance have improved significantly :)

Keep it up

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. ~Lance Armstrong
Awaha

Postby brendan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:25 pm

Ta muchly for the tip. I've been doing a bit with 2x7kg dumbells would that be light weight? I don't know what I'm doing with them really, just bend the arms a dozen or so times or until I get tired.
[/url]

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
brendan

Postby BelleJournee » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Strap weights to your ankles whilst biking.... Heheh :twisted:
BelleJournee

Postby brendan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:59 pm

I can't keep up with the ankles while I'm cycling, they keep on going round and round - how can I strap anything to them? :lol:
[/url]

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
brendan

Postby Awaha » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:52 pm

there are a few exercise you can do with a set of dumbbells... google "Dumbbell Exercises Complete with Animated Diagrams" and look for the one under Sports Fitness Advisor...
it gives you a lot of examples of what you can do, and how to do it.

doing squads and lunges would be a good start as it helps build up your biggest muscle in your body... your legs :) But if you have weak knees, I would suggest using your body weight to start off with... I have dislocated my left knee before, and my friend, who is a personal trainer, suggested that I do forward, side and back lunges to build up my leg strength...

take it slowly, and dont rush into it and hurt yourself :)

good luck

Awaha

Postby brendan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:31 am

Thanks for that advice, I will look up that site.
Ouch about the knee dislocation - when I did first aid course, many years ago, the instructor told us that knee dislocation is one of the most painful injuries you could sustain. I do have a weakness in my left knee (Capricornian trait) so I do need to be careful.
I think I am getting exercise in the leg area from the bike, for part of the session I put the resistance up to maximum, so I am getting aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

To end on a positive note - my weight loss has now hit double figures 10.2kg this morning, and I am only 300g from my target loss for the week ending Saturday, so I should well and truly exceed the target this week. 10kg also represents about an eighth of my total weight loss target, and is halfway to my end of year target. I should reach my final target in time for the London Olympics - sadly, though, 30 years too late :(
[/url]

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
brendan

Postby Awaha » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:04 pm

congrats on hitting the double figure...
its always a great motivation too to see the numbers change :)

take it easy on the knee, and remember to rest and not overwork yourself... as this is not a race, but a long term change in lifestyle that will continue even after we reach the "target weight"
:D

Awaha

Postby brendan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:00 am

I've managed to extend the exercise bike riding to 15minutes twice a day, and even though the weight seems to have plateau'ed I feel lighter. My guess is that something is happening with the muscles ... so I'm not panicking ... although I will be a tad disappointed if I don't reach my target for tomorrow's weigh-in ... only 100g off it which is not bad.
Oats with nuts, dried fruit and yoghurt for Brekky went down well!
[/url]

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
brendan

Postby JP1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:43 am

Well done Brendan, glad the exercise bike is working out for you.. walking the dog for at least 90 mins is the extent of my exercise :lol: - a couple of years ago I got into the running and a few gym sessions but wasn't for me in the end and was unsustainable.. I think that is the key, what you are happy doing regularly without it becoming a real chore.. that along with healthy living and a serve of self discipline and you are 90% there..

Good luck with the rest of your journey..

JP 8)
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby brendan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanks JP! I actually misread the calendar, weigh-in is Saturday so good chance I'll make it :D
I went shopping today, some specials on clothing at the dept store - got several pieces of clothing a size down, and 2 sizes down -a further incentive. While I was there I ended up getting an XBox and a sports disk - more variety to the exercise perhaps - either that or an expensive door stop :lol:
[/url]

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
brendan

Postby Awaha » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:48 pm

take photos or do body measurements using a measuring tape is the best you can do to see your progress....
Honestly, I cant really tell the difference with the weight I drop off looking at the mirror, but even though your weight doesnt drop off, you may be building up some muscle....

keep it up... and good job too :)

Awaha

Postby brendan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:35 am

Thanks for the tips Awaha! I find it hard to work out where to take the measurements, so I'll get a sense of the loss from the tightness of the clothes. Trousers that were quite firm fit in the waist 6 weeks ago are now about 4 inches too big.
I lost some more weight since yesterday - from 147.6 to 147.1 - I know you are not supposed to obsess about the scales, but it keeps me focused. That means I have lost 10.9 kg so far and 2.1 kg for the week - with the weigh in tomorrow. I think the exercise bike is working well for me.
[/url]

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
brendan