It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:24 am

Free Newsletter

Frump's journey to UNfrumpness :)

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Frump's journey to UNfrumpness :)

Postby Frump » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:08 pm

Firstly, a big Hi to anyone that reads this :D . I'm a 51 yr old frump from Perth WA who's trying VERY hard to change that!!

This is a new site for me and a new start on a weight loss journey I began Jan 1st 2010.

My weigh-in on that date was 135.4 and this morning I was 118. So a loss of 17.4 for the year. Not great..but a loss nonetheless!

I'm at a standstill at the moment..in fact, it's safe to say I'm actually going backwards. I WAS just half a kilo off a 20 kilos loss....but despite staying true to the diet and exercise, have gained. Hence my visit here, hoping a new start will rekick my body into behaving! Ever since my daughter and hubby joined me in the weight loss, it's as if i'm gaining what they are losing. (Don't get me started on hubby's losses...soooooo unfair that he can eat what he does and STILL lose dramatically grrrr) lol.

I've mostly been embracing a low carb lifestyle..first Atkins, lately a form of BT. As of today I intend mixing things up...whilst still staying predominantly LCarb, I'll be adding more in in the form of complex and low GI carbs, such as brown rice and berries etc etc. I'm also going to go back to tracking calories in CK and writing everything that passes these lips down in a notepad...cos despite my rough estimates of sticking to 1000 cals a day, I'm GAINING pfffft. I walk a circular route every morning which encompasses 3 'hills', first one pretty steep and long..gets my HR up to the high 130's-140.

Anyways...I've a mini goal set . Hubby's work-do a week on Thursday and I desperately want to be able to say "yes, I've lost 20 kilos this year". So. I need to lose 2.6 by then. Hard yakka! I went for a hard 45 minute walk this morning and had 100g greek yoghurt, diet jelly, half a diced apple and flaxseeds for breakkie, followed by 50g of twiggy sticks for protein. Intend keeping the cals under 800 until I hit that magic number if it kills me!!!!

Here I go ..running the gauntlet yet again 8)
"Victory belongs to the most persevering"
Napoleon
Frump

Re: Frump's journey to UNfrumpness :)

Postby brendan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:30 pm

Welcome Frump

I think you should have chosen a name which doesn't put yourself down, but that's only my opinion.
I think you will have a lot of fingers wagging your way over the 800cal. That's very naughty. :cry: Perhaps you could give us a full workup of what you eat in typical day - something is not quite right if you are not losing.

Good luck losing the 2.6kg, it is not impossible, but pretty tough.
Bren
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4Q56PK/]
[/url]

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic
brendan

Postby 2bhealthy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:51 pm

Wow ! :D , you have done an amazing job so far !! 17 kgs - you should feel very proud of yourself. I am only new the world of having to accept I am frumpy. . . been living under the rock of denial for a little while now :oops: But reading your post gives me hope that I can keep it up, even if I find hard times, I can keep on going .

Thanks for your post :D

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whbAVvt/]
[/url]
Like an onion I am just going to keep peeling off the layers

2bhealthy

Postby Frump » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:32 pm

Thanks 2b and hi :D . I AM proud...but it is tinged with frustration at the slow slow progress not to mention this recent stalemate. Lose a few, gain a few, drive yourself crazy. Looking back at the diary I've been keeping all year I actually got to this weight in early July! Crazy ...playing leapfrog with kilos here grrr (didn't help we went on holidays end of July...2 weeks later a gain of 7 kilos which all had to come back off :cry: ).

But I REFUSE to let it beat me.

G'day Brendan :D . I think the name came from a FEELING, more than an personal affront. I was sitting here, trying to think of a nickname, the 'Three F's' came to mind...Fifty, Frumpy and Fat. I looked at that word..FRUMP..and thought, yeah, THAT'S exactly how I feel....and the rest is history. I can always change it when I DE_Frump yeah? hehe
As for the 800 calories...yeah, I know ppl see that as ridiculously low..but they don't have MY body. CK tells me i should be able to lose on 1750 a day.. HA. No way. I KNOW me. I will hover between 800-1000...depending upon what the day brings. I'll post my daily foods in my diary...also charting them in my own paper diary AND CK. I'll be interested in the results myself to be honest...been a long time since I held myself THAT accountable.

Nice to 'meet' you both...thanks for taking the time to say hello.
Cheers
Napoleon
Frump

Postby miss_viva » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi "Frump" :P and welcome!

Congratulations on losing almost 20kgs this year, that's really impressive! Well done! I hope you achieve your 20kg goal soon. :)

I'm not trying to put you down or knock your efforts, but I'm going to be one of "those" people who say that 800 calories is simply too low. It sounds weird, but in order to lose weight, you have to eat a certain number of calories, otherwise your body goes into what is basically "starvation" mode, and tries to cling onto whatever fat supply it has. By cutting down on your calories so dramatically, it actually makes it harder to lose weight! Try and focus on including some healthy foods into your diet to increase your calorie intake a little. Raw veggies and low fat dips are a good option during the warmer summer months. You might notice a small gain as you increase your calories again, but after that, the weight should start coming off again more regularly.

Best of luck!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy8rKpB/]
[/url]

Heaviest Weight: 115kgs
New Starting Weight: 84kgs
Goal Weight: 75kgs
miss_viva

Postby Frump » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:06 pm

Thanks for visiting Miss-Viva :D

I know all the theories on 'eat more, lose more', but trust me..after 40 odd years of fatdom I know my body better than anyone else and I simply do NOT work that way. Possibly blame a doctor supervised year long diet of 500 calories when i was 21. However..i doubt it, because even before that I'd gain wait simply by breathing! :cry:

I'm now 51. I'm facing my own mortality, and i KNOW that being this fat is going to cost me years off my life. I'm prepared to face any consequences of a low calorie diet.....bottom dollar - I'd rather eat like a bird for the rest of my life than have no life at all.

Subject closed. If anyone is so anti in regards to MY choices, then simply don't 'come in' and visit as I'm not debating this issue again :roll: :mrgreen:

~~~~~~~~~~
Yesterdays food intake:
B: 10g flaxseed, 100g greek lowfat yoghurt, 1/2 diced apple, diet jelly. 25g twiggy sticks.
L: Broccoli, cauli, tomato salad with balsamic dressing. Small can tuna.
D: Mixed salad with greek nofat dressing. 100g chicken breast.
2 coffees. 3 & 1/2 litres water 1 hot light ribena.
45 minute walk.
CK: Cals 778
Protein 60g
Carbs 40g
Fat 44g
~~~~~~~~~~~
Scales were kind and dropped a kilo overnight. :)
Napoleon
Frump

Postby Frump » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:16 am

Todays food intake:

B: 50g baked beans, 1 dry fried egg, 1 thin slice lupin toast.
S: 10 almonds
L: Small can spicy chilli tuna, 75g baked beans
S: 2 sticks celery with 40g peanut paste.
D: 105g dry fried steak with coleslaw and tossed salad mix.
2 coffee
1 tea
3 litres water
40 minute brisk walk

CK day totals
Cals 1100 Fat 56g prot 83g carbs 56.

Carbs way higher than i would like..that'd be those yummy baked beans! The biggest shock of today was how much the snacks added up...something I wouldn't normally take into account. That peanut paste...wow..wasn't even spread on thickly and accounted for 240 calories ALONE. I really must try and like naked celery :mrgreen: .

Overall calories pretty high for me...but had a think and am going to attempt a high cal day (well..high for me) followed by a low cal day. So an 800 day followed by a 1000-1200 day. Maybe that will be enough to keep the ole body guessing. I will also incorporate a 'free' day every now and then, as needed...specially over the coming festive season.

Feeling pretty good with things at the moment..almost (ALMOST 8) ) looking forward to weigh-in next Saturday morning.
Napoleon
Frump

Postby 2bhealthy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:13 am

Frump wrote:Todays food intake:
That peanut paste...wow..wasn't even spread on thickly and accounted for 240 calories ALONE. I really must try and like naked celery :mrgreen: .

Try Ricotta Cheese :D I can't bear naked Celery either :D

Good Idea to give yourself a "free" day every now again, as you said, the festive season is upon us. I am hoping to leave some of my weight for Santa to take away :lol:

2bhealthy

Postby Frump » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:21 pm

2bhealthy wrote: I am hoping to leave some of my weight for Santa to take away :lol:

Haha, good luck with that!

Been a hectic couple of days here...food all on track except for 2 beers last night...visitors and hot weather = beer in my eyes! :mrgreen: Calories are a little higher than I wanted...seems I must have been eating more than I realised before so am going to aim for 1,000 a day on the days I exercise...only go 800 on the one or two days a week i take a break. I'm not getting hungry...just get this yucky taste/feeling in my mouth when i haven't eaten in a while. Normally I pop a sugar free lolly in to freshen mouth up...but I'm trying to cut down on the artificial sweeteners at the moment.

Another thing I've realised thanks to CK is how much salt I inadvertently consume in a day...and here's me been mouthing off about how good i am with salt...don't add it to cooking nor to meals. Seems i don't NEED to :oops: .

3 years today since I escaped the tyranny of tobacco addiction yayyyyyyy! I wish carbs and chips and cakes and gluttony ( :roll: ) were as easy (in retrospect) to give up!
Napoleon
Frump

Postby 2bhealthy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:01 pm

Salt !! Oh how I dream of salt !! I am not a sugar person in the least. Choc's and Lollies - blah, but oh how I love my salt! , but like all bad relationships it is just not good for me :(
I don't cook with it, but I used to smother my own food in it, my kids even used to hide it on me as a prank - nasty animals :lol:

I have cut right down now and moved to a sea salt which the body can absorb better. I allow myself one twist of the grinder. That for me is being super super SUPER good :D

2bhealthy

Postby Frump » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:07 am

I'm using a mineral salt when I DO use it...funny colour it is tho :shock: . I'm also more a salt person 2b...specially when it's salt n vinegar flavoured. The folk that make the chicken chippee salt also used to make the BEST S&V salt...but alas they took it off the market. I even emailed and asked what had happened to it (AND they replied..amazing!). Probably a good thing really as I used to just dip my finger in it and eat it like that (thought it was marginally better for me than eating the potato chips too lol).

On a VERY positive front, I've finally reached that 20 kilo target. I've only gone under 1000 calories on the one day..the very first day, but the body has responded well ..for a change!
Sat: 800cals
Sun: 1100c
Mon: 1010c
Tues: 1059
Weds: 1136

Going to try to make 1200 today ..might even treat myself to a wine tonight yayyyy! :lol:

Shock of the day yesterday....

Looking for a healthy snack...had 4 macadamia's and 4 brazil nuts.
Then checked CK and OMG...230 calories for the 8 nuts? Like you say WHAT?????
I knew they were high in fat and cals..but didn't realise it was THAT bad. Even worse, the brazil nuts were more damaging calorie wise than the maca's!

Onwards n downwards :D
Napoleon
Frump

Postby brendan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:38 pm

Congratulations on the 20kg ... YAAAAHHOOOO!

I'm hoping my 20kg will be next week or two. :)

Bren
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4Q56PK/]
[/url]

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic
brendan

Postby 2bhealthy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:42 pm

Frump wrote: I've finally reached that 20 kilo target.

Woo Hooo !!! Well Done :D :D :D :D

2bhealthy

Postby Frump » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanks 2B and Bren :)

I had a 'free' day Thursday...upped the cals to around 2000...so Friday showed almost a kilo gain. So unfair! So easy to gain, so hard to shed :evil:

Down a little this morning, but not as much as I'd hoped....and my goodness, the cravings today to MUNCH are diabolical!!! I've just put on a pot of low carb vegies, little bit of left over roast and chicken stock to boil...will add shredded cabbage just before serving. The aim is to reach for that when the urge to EAT becomes unbearable. Not sure what's brought this on but it's driving me nutso....grrrrrr

I've three sets of scales in the house...(shhhh lol), and the difference between them all is (sometimes) up to 1.6 kilos. Crazy. Anyways, I've decided to always weigh-in on the heaviest reading ones..that way if I ever have to weigh at the docs etc, the extra clothing should keep me within my expected range. That's presuming, of course, these scales are wrong...not the two lighter weighing ones!

Debating on whether 2 free days a week would be better to keep the metabolism guessing..perhaps weds and sun, but would have to be very disciplined and never go over say 1600. Might be a big ask I think..let alone pretty stressful ignoring any resulting cravings. If only I could just up the cals without including carbs it'd prolly be ok...but man I love my carbs :cry: .

Oh welll. food for thought (see.....MORE food thoughts! hehe)

...onwards n downwards!
Napoleon
Frump

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:13 am

Hi there frump,
Just wondering, have you ever been tested for hypothyroidism? You seem to gain quite easily... Possibly taking kelp tablets might help (they provide iodine which your thyroid needs to function that Aussie diets are often low in because our soils (and hence crops) are old and low in iodine)

Some ideas to try to "clothe" your celery (can't have it going around naked... how rude! :P ), maybe some mashed chickpeas? Or some low fat phili? Any nuts are going to be mega high in cals, they're little energy bombs, but some of them are really good energy bombs, almonds in particular. You just gotta have 'em sparingly :wink:

As for the difference between different sets of scales, yep, no surprise there. Scales aren't calibrated to each other. In fact, probably your docs scales aren't "correct" - who knows if they were ever calibrated to the atomic set? You shouldn't really compare readings from different scales because they all have their own unique inherent bias/error. So keep a record of the weigh ins at the docs and a separate record of the weigh ins at home - both should show the same CHANGES over time (within a degree or two of random error), but not the same weight at that POINT IN TIME.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Next

Return to Personal Progress