It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:00 pm

Free Newsletter

Frump's journey to UNfrumpness :)

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: Frump's journey to UNfrumpness :)

Postby Frump » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi Butterfly Dawn :)

I agree with the thyroid issue..so much so i did actually ask the doc for a test about 4 months ago now. I told him I'd been charting my temps for a month and had never seen one over 36. That my hair was so thin now my scalp is almost visible. That I was always cold. That the weight issue was ridiculous. Yada yada. Not only did he turn around and tell me temp had very little to do with thyroid (yeah yeah) he also refused my request to do a T3 and T4 test. Long and short of the matter is that the base test came back with acceptable levels..he actually said "there, that shows you should have no problems losing weight". Oh boy, would I love to let him ride in MY body for a few weeks!
I guess i should have stood up to him...but I'm such a wooz. :oops:
So anyways, I did some research on other ways of improving thyroid function and came up with the kelp. Dr. Atkins also recommended Carnitine and Q10 for ppl having problems so I've been taking them also. Not sure if anything is working or not tho lol.
I usually only see the doc once every 6 months for BP tablets script refill...I'm not a doctor lover (almost as bad as the dentist) and prefer to try and 'heal myself' wherever possible. Lucky I'm a pretty healthy specimen...despite the obesity :? .

Re the scales...I should have been more specific. It isn't really the difference in weights that concerns me..its the fact that one scale will show me a loss of (this is from this mornings readings): Scale 1: - 400 g. Scale 2: - 800g. Scale 3: -900g. Yesterday Scale 1 showed a loss of 600g while scale 2 showed me GAINING 400g. These readings are taken from each individual scale..so theoretically if i actually lost 500g EVERY scale should show the same loss. But they don't and there's no rhyme nor reason to it. Which i guess just cements home the fact that scales are shite and we should learn to not listen to any of them! But bet I still will :mrgreen:

With the celery. I've been trying all sorts of things and nothing quitttttte cuts it like peanut paste :( . I'll just have to use it even more sparingly!

Anyways...foods been great all week..managed to survive the 'day of cravings'..barely!. Will do official weigh-in in the morning...tomorrow night is the work-do so it'll be my free day. Hello calories. And hangover :P :roll: Exercise has gone by the wayside a bit as my foot is very sore. Another gripe with the doc there..he tells me it's PROBABLY a stress fracture of my foot..and to keep off it as much as possible. I might demand an xray next time and some sort of treatment cos it isn't getting better.

Off to hang out the washing ugh.

Cheers (and no beers :lol: )
"Victory belongs to the most persevering"
Napoleon
Frump

Postby Awaha » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:19 pm

hey... Good work so far in loosing the weight...
In regards to the off days when you up your calorie intake, I won't worry too much about the weight increase, as it generally also invoice increase in fluid your body retained from the food that you eat. I find that when I eat rice or carb rich food, I will put on about 1kg for the next 3 days which then I would "flush" out back to my original weight or less.

In regards to the scale, timing is pretty crucial to get a consistent weight... my weight pretty much fluctuate between the hours... so unless you go straight to your doctor and weight yourself right after you wake up, finished your morning "businesses" and not eat anything... the weight will always be different.

probably time to get rid of all your scales, and get a good quality one, and use that. no point weighing yourself with so many different machines. (Plus make sure they are on solid ground... not on soft materials like carpets)

Keep up the good work :D
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFgBXFf/

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. ~Lance Armstrong
Awaha

Postby 2bhealthy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:34 pm

Sounds like you have been thru hell and back with that doctor of yours!! ... .. either try a new doctor or get yourself a naturapath, for a more natural method of help.
I had been going back and forth to doctors wasting my time and money, One trip to my naturapath and I am finding results. He worked out exactly what I was lacking in my body and what I had too much off. I am now on several different types of tablets (all of them natural) and a mixture of herbs. The weight is coming off slowly, but at least I know I am doing the right thing for MY body, not the right thing for the average body.

There is nothing actually "wrong" with my thyroid, but what I found is other health issues/deficiencies were causing my thyroid to be sluggish and under-preform, this also affected my kidneys and my liver. Yet the doctor had told me that I was healthy, if somewhat overweight and his solution was to walk more :shock: , great help that was - NOT

Once I can get my deficiencies under control, my weight will come off more easily. It was explained to me that because my body is lacking in so many things, it is hanging on to everything .. . basically I am like a bear hibernating for winter :lol:

You can only do what is right for you and your body, regardless of what other (medical professionals included) tell you. I think you did the right thing by trying to research your problems yourself. At least you can find answers to your own problems and not be lumped in a "general" category.
Like an onion I am just going to keep peeling off the layers

2bhealthy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:29 pm

Some doctors really need to learn more about bedside manner. But don't let it put you off, you're within your rights to get a second opinion. Ask around and see if there's anyone who can recommend a good one. As for kelp, well I only have my own self to report results on, but I know that when I was taking it before the weight came off easier, then when I've gone on it again now, it seems easier and slip ups don't seem to affect my weight in the same way as before BUT these also coincide with times when I'm more focussed on losing weight, so it could be a load of expensive bunkum. :roll:

Also, have you tried almond butter? Almonds are still high kj's but they have a whole lot more beneficial vitarils and minimums (I googled for a comparison and was absolutely AMAZED at how much better than any other nut they are :shock: )
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Frump » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:36 pm

okkkkkkk I'm back! After 4 weeks off over the festive season a terrifying gain of 7 kilos eeeeeeek :!: Which took my 2010 overall loss down to 14.4. Not as good as i would have liked..but 14 off is better than 10 on..which is what it would have been if i hadn't been trying.

Back on the wagon as of a week ago and a first week loss of 2.5...so another 4.5 to go to get me back where i was! January 1st starting weight of 121...currently 118.5.

Never fear, I shall get there...I'm dedicating another year to making myself a healthier specimen. First goal it to get back to where i was. Then to get under 110. Then ...ultimate aim is to get into double figures. Can't wait!

Due the stress fracture in my foot I'm unable to walk for exercise anymore, so yesterday i bought a recumbent bike from Ebay. Hopefully it should arrive by the end of this week (but i wouldn't bet on it :evil: ). The ultimate aim there is to strengthen the legs for when i get under that magic 100 kilos mark cos THEN, and ONLY then, shall i be brave enough to purchase a REAL bike and get out in public on it! Sooooooo looking forward to that..(I sit here shaking my head...since when do I get excited about exercise?? lol).

And we're off....Onwards n Downwards!! :P
Napoleon
Frump

Postby Frump » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:30 pm

117.5 and another kilo down. Halfway back to where I was before Christmas :roll:

Still awaiting delivery of exercise bike, hopefully this week!

Onwards n downwards :P
Napoleon
Frump

Postby Frump » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:04 pm

Sunday weigh-in recorded just a 500g loss this week...but happy with that.

Then Sunday free day started at lunchtime... and this morning showed a gain of 2.3 overnight because of it. Tho I'll take the blame..it blew out a little more than simply the 2 'free' meals it was meant to be. Comfort eating ...and I'll suck it up and pay the penance (no option is there? lol).

Back into it today.
Napoleon
Frump

Previous

Return to Personal Progress